main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Thank you. Thank you very much. :han:

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Gareth has potential? He directed one of the best sci-fi/ fantasy films of the century. I think he’s arrived.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I like Gareth a lot. I've LOVED all 3 of his films. But, it's clear he needed help with both of his big budget studio films. Especially Rogue One. Both films turned out great, and that's in large part due to him, but he's not ready to fully handle the reins of blockbuster filmmaking on his own yet. As has been demonstrated. He can knock an indie film out of the park, the way he did with "Monsters". And, he can deliver a fantastic big budget blockbuster, with help. The Force is with young Gareth, but he is not a Jedi yet.

I think Ridley states it best, here.
    "I know what I’m doing. [Laughs.] I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s ****in’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?

Millions! Millions. You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I’ll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it’s as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you’re really experienced and you know what you’re doing, it’s ****ing essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But don’t suddenly go to $160."

Darth PJ likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but the risk you take with an inexperienced big budget him director, even if it costs a little more, can lead to gems like Rogue One. And despite not being a fan of Peter Jackson’s style, New Line’s bet on him for LOTR (a very indie director at that point with only one medium-sized film under his belt) paid off...

Also, when does “experience” with big budget films start? At some point, a director will have to direct their first big budget film. By Scott’s standard, nobody new will ever get to direct a big budget film because they never have...

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would rather SW films made by people with voices of their own, rather than "point and shoot" directors. For me, that's why Solo is the weakest of the new films so far.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The leap from independent films to studio tentpoles used to be filled by greener directors taking on mid-budget studio films, but those have almost entirely disappeared. TV series have filled that gap a bit, but they're largely dictated more by writers and showrunners than directors. Directing an episode or two of TV (even on a larger scale) still isn't quite the same comparison as a commitment to a studio film.

Lucasfilm is starting to fill that void a bit though. While most directors on TV tend to be involved for just a couple weeks, almost every director on The Mandalorian was involved for several months. And now we've seen a couple of those directors transition to larger scale efforts. Deborah Chow is directing all of Kenobi, Rick Famuyiwa is directing Children of Blood and Bone, and presumably Dave Filoni is largely handling Ahsoka by himself.

Building bridges like these is possible path forward for future directors, while films in the near future are being handled by directors who have already helmed large scale features elsewhere (Jenkins and Waititi).

2Cleva likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Will not be surprised if sooner rather then later Deborah Chow is helming a movie of her own within Star Wars one day.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Uh, that's not even close to what he was saying. He's talking about a gradual increase of experience and budget, rather than a leap from a $10 million first film to a $150 million second film.
    It's not an "either/or" situation. At least not as far as experience goes.
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    She deserves it. But honestly, I think these days, helming a high-quality TV series is probably a more prestigious accomplishment.
    Yes, but I disagree with that standard. And there are many example of where such a risk taken led to unique cinematic achievements. Lord of the Rings and Rogue One being just a few examples.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You shouldn't. Experience doesn't preclude unique cinematic achievements.
    There are exceptions to most rules. Lord Of The Rings was unique in many ways, although Jackson had made 5 films before it, so he had a bit more experience, though not with big budgets.

Rogue One actually proves my point. Gareth couldn't finish it on his own, so a more experienced filmmaker had to be brought in for an overhaul. Gareth's contributions are stellar, and his talent is on full display, but he needed help because of his lack of experience at that level of filmmaking. The film turned out great, and showed his potential, but he won't have fully arrived until he can complete a film like that on his own.

ewoksimon likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    By the way Jordan Mason or however you spell his last name says that Lucasfilm is working on more animated movies.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  12. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I hope we get more info about the live action films those are my favorite part of the Star Wars universe.

13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's basically the rub of it. Handing leviathan budgets to relatively inexperienced filmmakers can always be problematic. I think it also risks closing down the opportunities to make smaller films for those filmmakers..

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    When do we think we’ll hear more about there future slate of live action films?

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    In the future.

Bor Mullet, MrDarth0 and 2Cleva like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's my prediction too.

17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    maybe tomorrow

18. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Why tomorrow?

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Why not tomorrow? If it isn't tomorrow, there's always the next day. And if not then, the day after that.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Or sometime in August.

21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I was mostly just being an arse there

I have no actual idea

but yeah, maybe tomorrow lol

or yeah sometime in August, it’s usually so hot that time of year I never want to go outside, so all the more reason to have new Star Wars news to read about

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm so glad that so many on the forum are carrying on the legacy of teasing Chiznuk. I can't be on all the time.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    God I hate you all so much.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [face_laugh] [:D]

Bor Mullet, EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.