main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. There’s so much scope that we can jump around to various time periods rather than being tied down to just one. There is hardly a drought of Star Wars content these days, particularly with television.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah...do that....We can MORE than a trilogy.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Taika's movie is next. Rogue Squadron has been pushed off in order to re-write the script.

Lucasfilm wants the next wave of films to be somewhat connected to one another, without being the MCU. And for that, they're looking for committed filmmakers that are ready to work on Star Wars for the foreseeable future.

>***"Can we touch upon “storytelling classic”—the movies? I know about Taika Waititi’s untitled film written by Krysty Wilson-Cairns, and Patty Jenkins is doing Rogue Squadron. Do you have a road map for features, or are you still developing that?"***
    >
    >We have a road map. I would say that Taika’s story fits more specifically into that. Rogue Squadron…we kind of pushed off to the side for the moment. Patty is developing the script further. Then we will talk about how that connects to the central spine that we’re working on. There’s a couple of \[filmmakers\] that we’ve been in conversation with over quite a long period of time that I’m hoping will come in and make the overall commitment that Jon and Dave have made. That’s ideally what I would love to see happen in the feature space.
    >
    >***"Are you talking about a commitment to make, say, three movies, or are you talking about an even bigger commitment of shepherding phases of films in the way that Kevin Feige did with Marvel?"***
    >
    >I wouldn’t go so far. Kevin is an anomaly—an amazing one. But \[the goal is\] definitely having somebody make more of a commitment. I hesitate to use the word trilogies anymore because Star Wars is much more about persistent storytelling.

They still want to do the Rian trilogy, and Rian is still included in the Brain Trust meetings, but he's overscheduled and doesn't have the time to commit.

>***"One of the enduring questions that the fans have is about Rian Johnson and his future with Star Wars. Is there anything you can tell me about that? I know it’s been said that that trilogy is still on. But it’s been so many years since it was announced. Is that still the case? Can we resolve what’s going on with his idea?"***
    >
    >Rian has been unbelievably busy with Knives Out and the deal that he made at Netflix for multiple movies. I’ve had meetings with Rian; he’s somebody that’s come in as part of our little brain trust discussions along the way. He remains very committed to what it is we’re trying to do. He just literally hasn’t had the time to devote. That’s what I’m saying: Anyone who comes into the Star Wars universe needs to know that it’s a three, four, five-year commitment. That’s what it takes. You can’t step in for a year and shoot something and then walk away. It just doesn’t work that way. So it requires that kind of nurturing.

Also, Lucasfilm are trying to create new Eras right now. The Acolyte being the first wave of that. Kennedy also confirms that they've been using Publishing (High Republic) as a testing ground for these kind of things.

>***"I know The Acolyte hasn’t started shooting yet, but that’s also on the horizon for Lucasfilm. That series is not as tied into the characters we already know, right?"***
    >
    >It’s a bit of an experiment for us because it isn’t building within the timeline and the era that Jon and Dave are. It isn’t necessarily going to be where features are. We are moving into a new era with what \[showrunner\] Leslye Headland is doing.
    >
    >There are certainly reflections of things that people are going to recognize, and it will have connectivity in Star Wars. But this will be a whole new \[era\] of storytelling if we determine—like we did with The Mandalorian—that it works and that there’s interest. I think there will be.
    >
    >"***How important is it to get outside the gravity of the Skywalker saga, moving beyond the characters we know? How vital is it to open up those new realms?"***
    >
    >I think it is vital. Just staying within the construct of George’s storytelling, to keep chipping away at that, I think would be wrong. It’s our job to step away now, but still have a connection to the mythology that George created. That won’t stop. But we are moving on from the Skywalker saga. That’s what’s taking a lot of time, discussion, and thought right now.
    >
    >"***Is Publishing The Test Kitchen for some of these new Eras?"***
    >
    >It is. That’s something we put into motion about five years ago because we don’t have the benefit of just pulling a book off the shelf…

Looks like we might learn more, and maybe get the full roadmap at Celebration next week.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Kennedy said there would be more specific details about the films in a "couple of months," back when this interview was conducted in March. That puts it us in May, which is now, which is... a week away from Celebration. I think it's safe to say we'll find something out pertaining to the films next week.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well there we go; Rian might not direct another Star Wars movie in the near future, but he's definitely not out yet.

Cool!

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    As long as KK is,around Rian has future with Lucasfilm family.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It was always a matter of timing for Johnson's return. It might not be in the next few years, but Kennedy identifying him as part of the Lucasfilm brain trust is quite the vote of confidence.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    JJ still involved you think.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, that person just has reading comprehension issues.

Genuinely, what’s most surprising to me is Kennedy’s definitive statement that they won’t make Indiana Jones movies without Harrison Ford. I guess that takes a reboot or series of prequels off the table after Indy 5.

13. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Hopefully she’s still around a long time then.

14. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    More likely they’ll just continue with Waller-Bridge’s new character and rebrand the series as Oklahoma Smith or whatever her name ends up being.

15. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Maybe as an executive producer but that’s it. He doesn’t even direct his own stuff anymore now.

16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder if they could do a mix. Bring Harrison back, but not as the main role, him being to old to really go on adventures that his younger self did in Indy 6. The movie could be about two Indys, perhaps pre-Raiders self and old Indy. A plot that jumps between both time periods because their is a connection between what young Indy is looking for and what old Indy is dealing with.

Or if they don't want to recast, what about animation with a voice actor? I just hope we get more pre-Raiders tales someday, its a good era to explore. Also we have yet to see what Indy did in WW2.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Deepfake Harrison Ford for future Indiana Jones stories the obvious move.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It probably just goes back to Solo. They probably just don’t want to do another of Harrison’s famous roles without him. I don’t agree with that thinking but it is what it is.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh stop making Indiana Jones movies.

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

[​IMG]

Disney just signed Stan Lee's digital image. They not going backwards.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/genius-brands-signs-20-deal-123000476.html

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm fine with this.
    Indiana Jones is probably my favorite film series after Star Wars; I adore the first three films, and honestly consider Raiders to be a perfect movie.
    But unlike Star Wars, there's no larger universe in Indy. No hidden corners to explore without the titular character. It's all about him and his adventures. And even though I kind of enjoy the Young Indiana Jones series to an extent, there's really only one Indy, and that's Harrison Ford. I have no interest in seeing anyone else don the fedora in future films.

So yeah, I think the best thing would be to have Indy ride into the sunset one last time, and let the series die.

EHT and PymParticles like this.
  22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I agree with you on all those bolded points; Raiders is my second favourite film after A New Hope. Lucas (and Spielberg) really played a monumental role in shaping my interests and imagination with these movies.

And yeah, while I used to be quite keen on rebooting the Indy films with a series of prequels, the more time goes by, the less I think that's a viable option. I'm more than okay with Indy 5 serving as a swan song, and hopefully a better one than KotCS at that.

EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The dramatic conclusion to Indy 5, and the series as a whole, should be a big showdown with this guy. Who returned, somehow.
    [​IMG]

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Remember we still have a rule against double and triple posting. It's easy enough to respond to multiple posts in one, or edit your posts together. Thanks.

PymParticles likes this.
  25. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Sorry, won’t happen again.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.