main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    SW produces a lot of content for a dead franchise.

2. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Agree, i think it is in trouble, but far from dead. Just needs more consistency in all aspects. Movies are constantly announced and canceled. Several Video games have been announced, but two are on the verge of cancellation. Tv show quality has varied all over the place.

3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    People forget that it took Marvel a long time to start really producing good movies. There was a lot of trial and error before the Winter Soldier or Civil War (and of course, missteps since).

SW has finally become more consistent with TV and I don't see any reason that won't eventually translate to movies.

There's less room for error in SW though, so anything slightly subpar feels bigger than it really is.

SW has such a passionate fanbase, it's really just absurd for anyone to say the franchise is dead. Even subpar content is loved by many SW fans (for good or ill).

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  4. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    I do believe fatigue and quantity can also hurt. After the original trilogy aired. Star wars went from hugely popular to becoming mythical status. Until the next big screen version of it would show up, with only the EU and video games to hold folks over. Then the PT csme and an animated show. Now we are on the 3rd season of mando, 1 andor, 1 bobf, 1 obi wan, 2 seasons of bad batch, tales of the jedi etc... with ashoka, skeleton crew, and acolyte coming soon. We have had more shows than movies now. That ratio needs to switch to keep it a blockbuster franchise.

5. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    All Marvel shows on Disney plus that were about to be coming out have had their release dates deleted and now every single listing just says coming soon. I hope they don't do that to Star Wars too. I really hope we get something concrete at Celebration.

I go in and out of Marvel programs but I actually was looking forward to secret invasion oh well.

https://cosmicbook.news/marvel-suffers-big-delays-disney-plus-coming-soon

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Star Wars will never be the same franchise it was. There is just too much material now

7. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I wonder why Disney don't pull the trigger on KOTOR films... They are so gun-shy now, but at least it's a completely different era, and it shouldn't come with much baggage.

I admit, I know nothing about it, but the fans all seem to love the story/era. Is there enough material there for a trilogy...or at least a film or 2?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Intergalactic Lawman I think they are concerned that it won't sell much past the hardcore audience. I do agree they seem very nervous and unable to set a direction for the franchise right now which ironically has been the problem since 2013. I don't know which producer said it but they admitted that for a long time during the writing of Episode VII they had a lot of ideas but not much direction. I think that is the best way to describe Star Wars over the past decade. A lot of ideas and must admit a significant percentage of them (I even say the majority) are quite good but not much direction which I say is basically none. It's a rudderless ship and has been this entire time.

I find all of this to be as a fan to be quite depressing. I know they said production is still schedule to start February next year and look it just be where they deliver their script and someone else polishes it up as it will be full steam ahead with everything but still that hasn't been the MO with Star Wars under Disney. The turnover rate sometimes feels like McDonald's or the Trump WH. Not a good thing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  10. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    I must admit... I don't hate the deepfake stuff. If that is the only way we can get prime Luke - Then I'll take it! :cool:

I like the idea of a Shadows of the Empire film [face_thinking]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Again selling that to a general audience will be difficult even though I love Shadows of the Empire. It might work as a TV show and especially a cartoon series.

I think ultimately the franchise at least in terms of live action films needs to move forward in time past the Skywalker Era and that would be something with Rey. Again I do think if done right you could have her be the main star or at least one of the main stars of the next trilogy if her character is given some true depth and struggles with the new threat/challenges. Also help if they didn't do the Empire 3.0.

12. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Completely agree about the need to move forward.
    And yes, I'd love to see Rey as the one to take it forward, in a well-planned new trilogy that does not feel the need to bring the Empire back in some form. She's easily one of my favorite SW characters, played by one of SW's better actors. The potential is definitely there, given the right story.

Luke02 likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Please build something up first in addition to all of them are dead but Rey.
    Lets make two or three more TV show seasons and a movie with a Thrawn showdown before moving forward.
    Rey and Finn alone cannot carry the whole stuff

Glitterstimm and 2Cleva like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Who says Rey and Finn need to be the main characters moving foward?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  15. Power of the Dark Side

Power of the Dark Side Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2023
    I really see more potential in moving back than forwards, i.e. telling stories set either within the timeframe of movies ! to IV or prior to that. Adding continuous epilogues to a finished story seems to provide less options than filling in backstory.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Wouldn’t that just be continuous prologues to the finished story? Both before and after the Saga can be used to tell interesting self contained stories - but they should give a wide berth to the Saga itself, so as to not be telling an ‘epilogue’ or ‘prologue.’ There’s no reason, for example, why a story set at least half a century after the Saga would be handicapped by it, nor seem like an ‘epilogue’ to an already finished story.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  18. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    I actually quite like Rey as a character... I just think they did her dirty. (story wise) If she had been a former student of Luke hidden away after the temple massacre etc, etc, etc they could have tied up her story with a bow! It was the all powerful/no training thing that got me.

19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    i see a lot of discussion about Rey leading this new movie but that doesn't seem to be happening. We heard rumours about her doing a cameo or playing a minor role, but nothing substential. Rumour was they are 2 leads in Lindelof's story, a man and a woman, new characters. We shouldn't be expecting Rey to feature prominently in the next star wars movie. Personally i'm quite skeptical, i wouldn't be surprised if the movie takes place decades later and Rey doesn't appear at all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  20. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    If they use Rey in a new Star wars movie, even if she's played again by Daisy Ridley, she will be a different character in all but name. As crazy as it sounds, after 3 movies with her as the lead, there is litteraly nothing for a writer to work with.

Darth_Bertie and Glitterstimm like this.
  21. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    Having Rey in there as a cameo would be worse than not including her at all.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And she might change that again, too. :)

Sarge and Glitterstimm like this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This is a very astute point, and actually kind of makes me more amenable to the prospect of seeing her come back . . .

24. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Problem 1: The entire galaxy hates me for taking on the last name of literally the most important family ever.

Problem 2: If the galaxy finds out I’m actually a Palpatine, they’ll hate me even more.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    That David Lindelof movie has hired a writer that worked on peaky blinders among other stuff. Interesting choice if they allow him to actually write a mature story, which I have my doubts.