main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I kinda took the Daldry reports as fairly-legit. If the project's still a ways off, makes sense they haven't officially confirmed it yet.

Still kinda figuring he's attached to it until we hear anything different, real stuff leaks earlier than the studio would like sometimes.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm sorry, what?! :eek:

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    They were legit.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The #108 one shot hit this past Wednesday.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I had completely missed that they were doing that. That's really cool - I've read all the old Marvel SW comics many times. Need to get this one-shot ASAP! :D

cwustudent and Tython Awakening like this.
  6. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    May of us have set up our avatars using original Marvel SW run artwork to celebrate Issue #108. I put the release date into my signature. I'm not sure if the word got out enough for this.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    They were legit, but the last update we got was last year when the Hollywood trades were reporting that James Mangold was in talks for the Boba Fett film that Josh Trank had initially been hired to do before being let go; it was stated that talks with Daldry eventually died out. In respect to the Fett film, Kennedy basically confirmed that The Mandalorian had essentially replaced it as a concept. Right now it's looking more likely that we'll get a Kenobi limited series on Disney+ instead of a film, since the standalone films are essentially dead.

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    So did anyone notice in Ron Howard's interview he acknowledged that Solo's box office may have been in part due to the reaction to TLJ? He said, "Timing, young Han Solo, pushback from the previous movie, which I kept hearing may have been something, and some trolling..."

Can we please stop pretending this wasn't the case? We've had this debate for a year now, with many people denying that it had anything to do with Solo's box office at all. Now we have clear evidence that the director himself sees that as a factor. It's obviously a touchy subject for him to broach, which I think is the reason he says it so tactfully. But he did mention it. And before anyone tries to cling to the word "may", I think it's important to remember there would be no statistical way to prove this in any event. I admit, it can't be proven definitively. But clearly, Howard, someone at the very top of the chain, someone who is plugged in with the studio and all the people in the know, was repeatedly told this was a factor. I'm sure it's very awkward for him to blame it on the last film, but nonetheless, he absolutely does to some degree in this quote.

Clearly, there wasn't just one factor in Solo's failure. But I think it's time people recognize TLJ was a contributing factor. And as a logical progression of thought, if TLJ was a factor in the poor box office of Solo, that means those audience ratings were probably not skewed and accurately showed how a large portion of the fan base felt.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Who was saying TLJ didn't have "anything to do with Solo's box office at all."? I don't think that was ever an argument. My recollection is that the argument was always about the amount of impact. Some people attributed the majority of the failure to poor marketing and pre-existing apathy, while others attributed it to TLJ backlash, and others yet to things like recasting Han. I believe the only official analysis pointed towards marketing being the issue.
    But, regardless of all that, what is the point of your post? To convince people that TLJ sucked? In the non-Skywalker rumor thread? What did you hope to accomplish?

10. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Well despite your recollections, plenty of people in this forum have argued it had nothing to do with Solo's poor performance. What did I hope to accomplish? I cannot convince people who liked the movie that it sucked, and I have no interest in doing that. But I do think the question of how it was received by the collective fandom is an important issue that will determine the content of future SW films for the next while. When people claim the negative reaction was just a small loud contingency of fans, that strikes me as untrue. It is important to know for the sake of the future of the franchise.

And why did I put it in this thread? Because where else? Any time this issue arises in the RJ thread, or the future of the saga thread, or other threads for that matter, the mods step in and shut it down. And that's fine. There is a place for everything. But surely there must be somewhere we can discuss this, right? I guess I would ask you, what is the point of objecting to the post? I get you don't think this was ever up for debate, but believe me, several people have argued that TLJ HAD NOTHING AT ALL to do with Solo's box office. I suspect they still feel that way, regardless of Ron Howard's take. Perhaps some of those people will respond with their own thoughts, which is what I wanted to read. If everyone agrees that TLJ did have some sort of negative impact on Solo, then you are right, my post was unnecessary. But clearly not everyone sees it that way.

Darth Smurf and 2Cleva like this.
  11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah - I shared that on one of the threads before. But just as people aren't going to suddenly like TLJ or stop bashing it - there will be some who will defend it to the end because either they liked it or because its Star Wars.

No point in fighting that battle for either side.

12. Obironsolo

Feb 7, 2005
    Actually, perhaps this wasn't the best thread for this post, I acknowledge that. Is there a better thread for this discussion?

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    There is an entire forum for discussing people's reactions to TLJ.
    https://boards.theforce.net/forums/star-wars-sequel-trilogy-released-films.10864/

If you actually want to discuss Solo, and the reactions to it, try in here.
    https://boards.theforce.net/forums/star-wars-anthology-released-films.10901/

As it is, you're in the wrong thread and the wrong forum for discussing either.

PymParticles , EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Tought i share this rumor on here as possible for a future movie.

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I think he is trying to troll Jeremy at Geeks and Gamers lol.

Seriously though that would be an awful miscasting.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    KSennia and Darth Smurf like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Jeremy is awful. Also on Brie larson, the appearance is there just need another one for voice like Ashley.

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    He isn't awful. And Larson would never agree to a role that didn't include her own voice.

18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I kinda doubt we're getting a live-action Ahsoka.

Clearly we've seen aliens of that nature done in live-action, for whatever reason I just don't think they'll attempt it, big a deal as she is in the animated stuff not sure a re-casting would fly.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  19. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    She'd be a good Ysanne Isard [face_skull]

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Given Ahsoka’s clearly Indian-inspired name, and facial features that don’t strike me as particularly, Caucasian, I don’t think it would be a good idea to have a white woman play her in live action. There are tons of talented women of color out there that could play this role. That said, the Brie Larson rumor sounds like pot-stirring BS, trying to get the sexist, butthurt MCU-SW crossover fans riled up.

And I know the voice of Ashoka is a white woman, before that gets brought up.

21. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    ManaByte (Jeremy Conrad) says this is a BS rumor, but hope's that RJ is doing a trilogy with her to see the heads explode. Grains of Salt on this rumor.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope she appears in the Cassian show. Timeline is perfect for it to happen.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    For live action, I would prefer a cgi Ahsoka that actually has Ahsoka's face rather than a real person that only looks vaguely like her and will look like a cosplayer. Then she could also do far more acrobatic fighting, being cgi.

24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think a fully CGI humanoid face would either take up way too much of the VFX budget or would look really bad. This is a television show we are talking about.

We've never seen her in live action. How would it 'not look like her'?

PymParticles and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    How far's Cassian's thing meant to take place prior to Rogue One, anyone know?