main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'd say there are a fair few, yes.

K2771991 and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I suppose so. But still.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You don't go on a lot of social media do you ? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2020
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Um... yeah. I’d say there’s a few. :p Personally I’m really interested in Ben before he fell. The small glimpse of Ben after he was redeemed showed a lot of potential IMO. I’d be really excited to see what Filoni and co. could do with him in an animated series.

5. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I am too, I'm just a little apprehensive about the possibility of making Ben seem too heroic, since I feel like that might clash with the films.

Ideally I'd dipict the character as having emotional issues and problems with trust/paranoia/envy that, along with Snoke's manipulations, eventually leads him distrust/envy Luke and his relationships with his family to fall apart, all while they themselves fail to realize until it's too late - make him a good guy, but really highlight that "too much of Vader" he supposedly had in him. I also would'nt make him a charismatic Han/Anakin type but go with Soule's comic did during it's flashbacks, and show him as a withdrawn and sullen person whose self-isolated socially; an evil Edger Allen Poe. I'd make it so that past a certain point it gradually becomes clear to the audience that their never was any hope for him not falling, though have neither him nor those close to him realize this and have those around him, like the Jedi Council in the PT, unknowingly make matters worse through a tragedy of errors and misunderstandings.

Sort of really lean on the "tagic character" element.

I'm also not sure if I'd do Filoni. He's good, but for the above I'd bring in someone else better suited to that kind of Star Wars character; maybe Chris Avellone or Kevin J. Anderson. I'd put Filoni to work on a concurrent follow up to Rebels staring Sabine, Ashoka and Ezra.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@K2771991

Oh that's defiantly not gonna happen if it's animated Filoni is grand pu-ba of all things in that realm, that's why he handles the big stuff. Now if it's Live action maaaaaaaaaaaaybe but even then these aren't T.V people (As far as I know)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2020
  7. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, I'm talking personal hypotheticals, not what I think will actually happen. And honestly if you can write a book or a video game I'm resonable sure you can write a TV script (then again what do I know, I can't even finish half of what I start, writing or otherwise).

8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Jesus, thanks! Can't believe there are still people wanting Ben to be resurrected. As if the character was interesting at all or the resurrection thing had not proven to be the cheapest and lamest thing in the franchise with Palpatine in TROS.

Darth PJ likes this.
  9. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I agree resurrection is pretty terrible in general, but it can be done well. Darth Maul is one of the best parts of the Clone Wars and I thought he should have stayed dead. As long as you have a compelling story to tell post “death”, you can get away with it. I thoughts Bens death was so unsatisfying that there needs to be more closure there. I’m fine either way, as I would rather we just focus on NEW stories.

Darkstrider likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think resurrection works for some characters. Palpatine’s worked because he has been established as searching for a way to cheat death. I only wish we could have gotten a bit more explanation in the film. It also makes for a nice mirroring of the Jedi’s own immortality. Spiritual immortality vs. physical immortality. But for Ben I think it works better for the story if he remains dead.

Darth_Bertie, Darth Buzz and Krueger like this.
  11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I mean I personally felt robbed after the small bit of Ben Solo we got in TROS. So yeah I'm all for a Ben animated story before the fall. I think it would be interesting to see the moments and missteps that led to his fall in the first place.

TCF-1138 , Darkstrider and Darth Buzz like this.
  12. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Resurrection would normally be fine if done right but JJ killed Kylo/Ben 3 times in TROS.

Darkstrider likes this.
  13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Rey was resurrected. Ben Solo would return from wherever he went in the Force. JJ's desire to tribute only Luke and Leia's FG created a loophole that Disney may or may not want to explore. Atm, they likely have no plans for that but the loophole stands and you never know with franchises.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    DarthRosie and Darkstrider like this.
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They're like Cylons.
    To be forever resurrected in new clone bodies.
    And they have a Plan.

15. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    And probably contracts for at least 7 movies, lol.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Contract is the key. Which is why Marvel makes actor sign multi-picture(and other stuff) contracts. I remember a pre-Solo ASWS release rumor that Alden Ehrenreich signed 3 picture deal. So they can still use him though my guess is that they will have to renegotiate the contract if they want to do a D+ show with him.

We don't know if ST actors signed for more movies than just 3 and what actors.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I didn't care for the way TROS went down, or the way they did Kylo's character, especially the relationship with Rey (whatever the relationship actually is, a brother and sister according to JJ, but siblings don't give passionate kisses I hope).

Nonetheless, there is no denying the talent in appearing with such a different demeanor to be Ben instead of Kylo. Without Driver, I think personally that you have a non-starter in the character. He is the thing that brought the good that did exist in that character out. Driver could be the new Malcom McDowell if he went with it in more movies as the villain (no Caligula though, please :().

I'm sure there is interest in Kylo among the hardcore SW fans on social media (Reylo people and such), but I don't think he is much of a thing to the general public; certainly less so than other SW characters.

A Disney Plus cartoon of him in early times might do OK, but I wouldn't want a live action show used on that concept when there are so many better possibilities (or any Ben/Kylo theme for that matter; he could appear and that would be fine, but I don't want something that is about him).

18. slapthebass77

slapthebass77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2017
    Just curious, what other character(s) do you feel there is an interest for above Kylo/Ben Solo?
    Im in the Kylo/Ben camp but as I was trying to think of possible characters, the one major character who hasn’t had much of backstory is Qui Gon. I think LN could still pull off the part. When Disney first took over SW I hoped one of the side projects would be something live action set during the clone wars with EM and HC reprising their roles. Not sure EM could pull off pre PT but LN could.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I actually think most of the main characters from the OT and even some from the PT/ST would bring more than Kylo. There would be a lot of the big 3 from the OT in a Kylo back story, and fans would like that, but I think they would like another Solo movie better (or young Leia, Vader in the early empire, Palp, Rey, Obi, etc.). I see a lot of hardcore fans that want something like KOTR, Ahsoka or Plagueis; which all could make good Disney Plus show, and more interesting than Kylo IMO (not that interested in how Kylo grew into a school shooter type).

Qui Gon is an idea I would support as a Disney Plus back story. and it would be a great treat to have LN back in SW. I actually think they might have some clone wars flashbacks in the Obi show with HC, which would be awesome.

I don't know if people just forget or what, but it always seems to be mentioned in forums that actors are too old for parts, when that is mostly irrelevant. They have de-aged people with great success in movies and TV in recent years. EM would be fine pre-PT with some modern movie tech. Hell, they brought a dead man back into live action in R1, de-aging is not even all that impressive anymore.

slapthebass77 likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Kathleen Kennedy does a interview with The Wire
    https://www.thewrap.com/lucasfilm-p...-the-mandalorian-and-the-future-of-star-wars/

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy on Baby Yoda, ‘The Mandalorian’ and the Future of ‘Star Wars’

by STEVE POND | August 21, 2020 @ 10:06 AM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The lines between film and television are obviously blurring now, but do you think that television is very important to the future of the franchise?

I do. And I’ve already seen evidence of it. The ability to be very character-driven, with extended storytelling and connected storytelling, I think this space offers us a great opportunity to do that.

(this, and totally this)

DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    "There are a record number of women directors nominated for Emmys this year, and three of your eight episodes were directed by women. Is that a priority for you?

It’s absolutely a priority. It’s been very exciting to see the talent that’s come in. And we’re now developing the limited Obi-Wan Kenobi series with Deborah Chow, and she’s just been doing a phenomenal job."

Remember when Lucas was choosing directors for ESB and ROTJ and he said the director's gender was absolutely a priority?

23. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Well when there's a different director every episode it's good to give talented people an opportunity to prove themselves, which Kennedy's picks have done so far.

24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Oh sod off.

starfish, DarthRamRod and Krueger like this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    lol