main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I need to start learning non U.S. expletives and put downs just to keep people on their toes stateside.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is one of the most encouraging things I’ve heard Kathleen Kennedy say:
    Deep past, here we come.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've had a crack pot theory years that

The trilogy or 2023, 2025 2027 films are deep past films and then the films after those one would be 10-12 that might tie into the things that were deal in those films in the deep past.

Sorta weird synergy that we can try now that we've had practice.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. slapthebass77

slapthebass77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2017
    I agree hardcore fans would be interested in those characters but many have plenty of screen time and other forms of stories already. I’m not sure how well they’d do with the general public.

Do you mind giving an example of de-aging technology that was successful? I think Tarkin could’ve been done better and Leia looked slightly off in R1 but I don’t mind as much as most. I’m just not certain it could be done with the main character/lots of screen time. Obviously if it’s an animated project then that eliminates any issues.

5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Somehow, while always leaving it open to interpretation whether she was refering to distant future or distant past when talking about the timeline of future SW films, I always thought KK was more into the latter. Guess the fact that W&B were working on a trilogy about the first Jedi fits that theory too.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, those characters may or may not do well with the general public, but I would say the same thing about a Kylo production. Those are SW fans talking about Kylo on social media, not the general public. It surely would not be a movie project, but would be Disney Plus, and the appeal would depend on the quality, which is also true of all the other characters (except again, they are IMO much more interesting). Mando was actually replacing the Boba movie, but was put on TV after Solo bombed at the movies; I seriously doubt Kylo has more appeal to SW fans than Han Solo, or even Boba for that matter.

Tarkin was absolutely unprecedented tech. For a CGI human character to have that much dialogue was novel. It was imperfect if you really looked at him closely (the eye expressions are very hard to imitate), but if people didn't know already, I doubt anyone would have noticed. As imperfect as it was, it was cutting edge, and way ahead of all others in doing that. No, they couldn't yet do that to a main character, but I was using that as an example of how far the tech has come, and de-aging being very possible, and easy in flashback scenes.

Speaking of examples, the show Banshee had frequent flashbacks throughout with de-aging of the characters; that is pretty common these days. Then there are these:
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a866154/de-aging-ranked/

Talking about how it is done:
    https://screencrush.com/how-marvel-de-ages-actors/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Are there examples of CGI de-aging being used on television budgets? I think we have the remember that, no matter the budget, normally they are still stretched more thin than those on features.

EDIT: I can't see the "Banshee" example being a good one:

[​IMG]

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Kennedy got me amped for a bunch of films to open with a screen which reads:

Siphonophore and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Wrong. The galaxy would’ve been closer a longer time ago, as the universe is expanding. Correction:

A longer time ago in a galaxy far, but less far, away...

Riv_Shiel and Siphonophore like this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    By the pic, I am taking it you did an internet search, and have not actually watched the show. They did an excellent job of de-aging the main characters, not just this far less prominent appearance of Goodman.

Streaming is different in terms of cost. While it was really a movie, it was made for streaming TV, the Irishman had good de-aging, and was made for 160 mil, which is less than Disney is spending on the new Marvel shows, which will be 25 million for each episode, presumably being 35-45 minutes each like Mando.

If they wanted to de-age for a storyline, would they be like "Nope, too expensive." Not a chance. This is big budget TV, the days of MASH, All in the Family, and the Cosby show are gone, this is cinematic TV.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No, I haven't seen the show, but typically a still looks a lot better than the actor in motion, and that still doesn't look great. I think you may be underestimating how much that technology costs currently. The CGI budget of The Irishman mainly went to that technology, and shows like SW and Marvel have a lot more VFX to allocate budget to than that movie. Maybe a scene or two I could see it being used - but not for a main character throughout a whole series.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, there were several seasons of Banshee, and one picture certainly won't deliver an evaluation of the de-aging in the show. It was done effectively, and with A LOT of screen time.

There are two different ways to do de-aging, and the 2D (which has been used effectively), is less expensive. Either way, de-aging has become a staple in Marvel, and will be used in the shows, guaranteed.

I could certainly foresee a main character being de-aged for a show; I don't think it is that far away. Making characters different ages is part of the art, and always has been; they've just gotten better methods in the last 10-15 years.

Marvel shows don't have the A list actors to pay that they have in The Irishman, not as many that are at the legendary level, so that movie has other expenses even with less CGI. And remember how long the Irishman was- not that much shorter than all of the episodes of Mando put together.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The de-aging in The Irishman looks pretty bad, IMO.

Bor Mullet and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought the de-aging looked good. The problem IMO is that Robert De Niro doesn’t move like a young man so his age still shows in quite a few scenes. But it’s only really noticeable when the character is supposed to be in his thirties. Otherwise I think he did an admirable job.

Darth PJ likes this.
  15. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I liked Nick Fury de-aging in CM but The Irishman one took me right out of the movie. I agree that he didn't move like a young man which puts a limit to de-aging. Dropping 20 years vs 40 years make a big difference.One is attainable the other a bridge too far.

16. slapthebass77

slapthebass77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2017
    I understand your point but I still feel a Kylo/Ben Solo project would grab more attention than most others. There always seems to be a draw to a distinct villain.

Yes, there was supposed to be a Boba film but it would’ve been before Solo. That film stopped b/c the director was fired. My memory is fuzzy but I think JF had pitched a project and they combined the two. I don’t believe it was Solo’s performance at the box office. I think the Mando was already created by then.

Thanks for the example. I’ll have to look into Banshee. I guess my point is if I can’t look great then why do it? If EM could still pull off post ATOC Obi seamlessly wouldn’t that makes better sense than attempting to de-age so you can do pre AOTC stories? Kinda a risk and reward. Granted, Tarkin was needed for that story in that time. I just feel they could’ve done some more side angle, reflection shots, etc to lessen the amount of cgi time on screen.

Another possible fanboy project I thought of was a backstory on Dooku. I feel you could recast for that era and not ruffle too many feathers. You could leave out de-aging all together unless you wanted LN as Qui Gon.

Darth PJ likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's good sciencing right there.

TCF-1138 , Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To be fair, the issue with this specific instance is that John Goodman has never actually looked that young or healthy... at any point in his life. It isn't even Uncanny Valley. Anything resembling this version has never truly existed.

TCF-1138 and Lee_ like this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, Disney forced LFL to go with Solo first before Boba, and it was after Solo tanked that they canceled the Boba movie; everything changed after Solo (relatively speaking) tanked. That was when they quit the "Star Wars story" bit and focused on Disney Plus.

I would very much recommend Banshee, great show. It's the best show on TV that hardly anyone has seen; all of my friends that I recommended it too were like "Why didn't I know about this show?" The back story that they continually go to in support of the narrative is very good, that's where the de-aging is. I found it very convincing.

Edit- fair warning Banshee is not wholesome family entertainment, not one to watch at the family gathering.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Ringo Starr as a primitive Jedi Master, with a score by Lalo Schifrin.

GregMcP and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Off to catch a primitive General Grievous.
    [​IMG]

22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Do you have an actual source for that? Meaning: a proper one, not some gossip youtube channel?

The comment above was completely right, what stopped the supposed Boba Fett movie were troubles with Josh Trank, not anything Disney supposedly ordered Lucasfilm to do. At that stage they obviously had to retool a bit due to the creative lead being gone, so that project was pushed back. Then it gets a bit more murky, and either the whole idea was cast aside, or evolved or merged into The Mandalorian.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    slapthebass77 and DarthRamRod like this.
  23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Do a search on why it was canceled and you will find it. Provide a source on why I am wrong, and one that specifically validates YOUR point, which is quite vague and speculative. The idea that it got canceled because of problems with the director is silly. There are many directorial fish in the sea, they obviously would have continued if they had wanted to make the movie.

24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/bo...ff-movie-cancelled-confirms-kathleen-kennedy/

"According to Weber’s post, the reason for the move is simple. The franchise has shifted its attentions to the Jon Favreau-penned live-action TV series, The Mandalorian; a project that obviously fulfills enough Mandalorian bounty hunter-related drama for one fandom. Of course, one may also deduce that the underwhelming box office performance of this past May’s Solo: A Star Wars Story left the Lucasfilm/Disney coalition once bitten, twice shy with its once-bountiful plans for spinoff efforts."

slapthebass77 and EHT like this.
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    lol at the "one could deduce." It doesn't take a genius to see that if they thought they could make a killing off of the movie, they would have. The Disney Plus bit was to keep it alive without risking another Solo situation. Business decisions come down to money? You don't say!

https://www.slashgear.com/star-wars...d-in-favor-of-mandalorian-tv-series-27551634/
    It seems the poor reception of Solo earlier this year has caused Disney to re-think its plans for different standalone movies and spinoffs. Of course, the silver lining in this decision is that rather than continuing to revisit existing Star Wars characters, Lucasfilm has the chance to expand the universe and tell new stories.

In love with that last sentence!=D=

https://thedisinsider.com/2018/10/27/boba-fett-movie-cancelled-according-to-lucasfilm/
    The fans had already lost hope for any more Star Wars standalone movies after the box office failure of Solo: A Star Wars Story. A Boba Fett movie was actually planned to be 2018’s Star Wars Story but Disney forced them to go with Solo.

The idea that Disney would not put the brakes on that movie after Solo could hardly be discounted when you hear Iger talk about the situation with the Solo movie..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020