main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I don't know about exploring new characters since S2 is filled to the brim with existing characters from TCW. So unless they don't count as existing characters, which would be weird, that goes against new.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Ah, yeah, I was agreeing with you @Lee_ ...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Lee_ likes this.
  3. slapthebass77

slapthebass77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2017
    Going off memory and what I have tried to back up with research since starting this conversation is this:
    Josh Trank was hired to direct the second stand alone film centered around Boba and all the bounty hunters from TESB. R1 was going to be the first and Solo the third.

Once Trank was fired from the project Solo was pushed ahead to the second film. JF already had the Mando idea of a bounty hunter story so no need for a film too. Rumors were that the third film would be about Obi Wan or Yoda.

Once Solo bombed at the box office Disney/LF made the decision to not make a third stand alone.

I can find the link with all the dates/announcements or a simple google search will work.

Lee_ likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I was commenting on the way the article was written, not what you were saying.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  5. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]
    "Warchief Kenobi, you are a bold one..."

[face_laugh]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    GregMcP likes this.
  6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    And when all this Disney Business started, wasn't Solo going to be the first stand alone movie released. It was already being written by Lawrance Kasdan with direct input from George Lucas at the time of the Disney sale. Then Kasdan was brought in to help on The Force Awakens which pushed Solo to the back of the Anthology line.

slapthebass77 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm very sad that they discontinued the whole anthology concept. IMO both Rogue One and Solo were fantastic, and I'd have loved to see more spinoff ideas. Perhaps even spinoff trilogies/sequels, like the ever-rumored Solo sequel. That would be awesome.

I do agree that Mandalorian wouldn't really be able to include that much in new storyline/character arcs, as it seems to be featuring several characters from the previous series or films. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked for a live action Ahsoka....but I have a suspicion that these familiar characters will not be much more than glorified cameos-as was similar to several much-hyped characters in season 1.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The anthology films concept is now the anthology TV shows concept. Sounds like an upgrade to me.

9. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Granted, and I agree...but I'm not really arguing the merits of films vs. series (which IMO there are pluses to be acknowledged on both sides). Still though-like you said, a concept is basically all it is at this point, other than Mandalorian. Regarding any spinoffs of familiar characters-like the ones we've discussed/heard about so far, I'm not convinced at just how much truth there is to the some seven or eight odd shows that have been said to be "in development" over the last couple years. Apart from Kenobi and Cassian Andor (which themselves have had their own issues and delays), I'll believe the rest when I see them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    DarthRamRod likes this.
  10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I demand he play a protocol droid. I don't want him to voice the droid, mind you - I want them to shove him into a metal tin suit like they did with Anthony Daniels.

I mean, any role sounds 10x more interesting the moment you put "played by Jeff Goldblum at the end." An Imperial Moff... played by Jeff Goldblum. A Sith Lord... played by Jeff Goldblum. A smuggler... played by Jeff Goldblum. The possibilities are endless.

12. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    As long as he's not a six breasted dancer like we saw in ROTJ.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Everything has issues and delays. There's a pandemic happening. And if the Mandalorian, Cassian show and Obi-wan show don't collectively amount to anthology TV shows, I don't know what will. That's precisely what they are, and they are on track.

14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Kenobi was delayed before COVID-19. For different, documented reasons. I also don't believe the pandemic is solely responsible for them not being farther on Cassian Andor either, but I can't say for sure on that one.

Besides, I think you're either missing my point or getting too hung up on my "delays" statement. Right now the only SW related thing we have is Mandalorian, which is (in a way) not really a spinoff, such as the type I was referring to. Also, Kenobi and Cassian Andor still don't really have any release timeframe set, they're just...in development. I would argue that the thought that "they are on track" is open to debate really when it comes to spinoffs. But that's another discussion, which I won't get into here.

I was specifically referring to films I guess, in my original post. You seem resolutely bent on the idea of series rather than films-and that's perfectly fine-but my first mention on all this was regarding films. I enjoy The Mandalorian, and I also am open to the idea of a series-but I personally prefer films. That's an opinion, and that's fine. I said I didn't want to argue series vs. films, but well...I guess here we are.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Was Obi-Wan really delayed before COVID-19? Or was it delayed before Americans at large understood what was coming with COVID? In the Asian side of their magic kingdom Disney was already fighting COVID in January 2020.

In late January 2020 rumors about Obi-Wan being cancelled broke. The crew was fur-lowed and sound stages that had been reserved for the show at Pinewood Studios outside of London were released from the schedule and cleared. On January 24th 2020 articles ran confirming Obi-Wan's production would be delayed - no cancelled - until an undetermined point in the future. The reason sited was to improve the script.

By late January Disney knew full well what was coming with COVID-19. Shanghai Disneyland was closed due to COVID on January 25th. The way time zones work, that could be the same day in North America that Obi-Wan was officially delayed. Disneyland Hong Kong closed it's gates January 26th 2020 for COVID.

Before that large parts of China were already closed down, effecting manufacturing for Apple and other big tech companies. Most likely those shutdowns and lockdowns at factories were also effecting manufacturing for Disney. And Disney would have seen that movie and TV production in China was also stopped.

What a mess if production on Obi-Wan had to stop after a month. Then would Disney need to keep paying for the studio space and crew while the show went on months long break for the virus? Better to wait until the future was more clear. But in North America COVID was still some far away bug, little more than a flu or a cough. Disney and Lucasfilm would have sounded like reactionary alarmists to share holders in January 2020 if they delayed production for COVID.

16. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Though I don't deny that the timeframes could have matched up the way you discussed, personally I feel like that's kind of like trying to get a square block to fit into a circle hole, if you know what I mean. I didn't mean for it to get into mincing words and nitpicking calendar dates really. Suffice it to say I was under the impression that it was made quite clear the original reason that sparked the idea of Kenobi being delayed was when KK let the writers go, having been unhappy with it. That had nothing to do with COVID-19. Now, I will of course acknowledge it's not for sure if that's really how it all started...

Since it seems like we're getting hung up on semantics about the timing and reasons for the delays, I feel like the main point of my original post has been entirely missed here-and I'm sure it's not because I wasn't clear enough. I've already tried to express it twice, so I will be done now I guess.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    What was your orignal point? Did I even read that far back? Would you be a sport and tell us again. Or at least cut and past the short version.

My point with Kenobi is problems bigger than production schedules could have been at play. The scripts aren't great.... Maybe that doesn't stop a production. Covid is coming... Six month lock downs or more... Not scrapping the writers to get a better show makes way mores sense.

Still to what could have been you orignal point.... Lucasfilm has not pulled any punches when they are unhappy with how a Star Wars production is progressing. They're like Darth Vader. I hear a lot of complaining about this, but I like it. They're doing the best they can to put out the best content they can. It's not for everyone, but we see Lucasfilm post 2012 is doing their damnedest in trying to live up to what George Lucas did.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Clones... played by Jeff Goldblum.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope the Goldblum Spaceship has a birthday button.

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Conjecture on my part... but probably the biggest consideration, in terms of 'Kenobi' development, was the transposing of, what was originally conceived as a 'live action' film, into a TV series. That decision pretty much impacts on every facet of production (depending on what stage of pre-production/developemnt it was in). And for what it's worth @DARTH_BELO, I agree with you... in that I would have much rather seen 'Kenobi' developed as a big budget feature film... but clearly the immediate strategy of Disney is focused on ensuring Disney+ remains a viable proposition.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I would have also liked to have seen a big budget Kenobi movie. Also would have enjoyed liked the accompanying push of products that would center around Obi-Wan. Even better would have been a Kenobi movie that pulled out all the stops quickly followed up by a series. So the movie would act like a big budget pilot for the series.

I think the J.J. Abrams Star Trek films would have benefited greatly from something like this. 2009s Star Trek could have been followed in 2010 by a limited series of smaller stakes episodes with the new cast. 10 episodes would have been great. Even as few as 4 would be enough. Self contained adventures like the orignal series to flush out the crew and expand relationships between the characters and actors so the later movies would mean more to everyone involved including the audience.

Do you think The Mandalorian is in anyway built from what was the Boba Fett feature film?

Darth PJ and DARTH_BELO like this.
  22. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This needs to happen!

23. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I'm just waiting for the day when Jeff Goldblum starts believing he that he actually is a scientist.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The story I want to be told in Kenobi is better told on TV.

25. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    He could play an english-speaking Wookie, Goldblum finally becoming his own chest hair.
    I mean, that was him in The Fly...BrundleWookie. Dark science, secrets only the sith knew.