main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 4.0: IT CAN STOP TIME! (Goooooooo Matches) - Winner: BaSSiL

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Shadow_of_Durron, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    No, you can probably move on. If this were all-out Kratos, he'd win. If Alucard weren't prepped, he'd win.

But he's not, and Alucard is, so Alucard gets the win here.

2. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Not a fantastic draw, but not horrible either. Vivi's pretty beast with prep, so it works.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, I'll just go ahead and vote for Alucard and Grahf then, since Inty is giving up, but I think Kratos could pull in some wins in that match up.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If you wanna vote for Kratos, go ahead. I won't stop you. :)

I'm just being honest. If I were a judge, I'd go for the prepared Alucard. But, I'm also a lot more familiar with Alucard than I am with Kratos.

5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm just a little more impressed with Kratos' feats than I am with anything I've seen in Castlevania, though not by a huge margin, I guess. The prep helps but him over the top, but I could see Kratos powering his way through some of that stuff.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Had I known it wasn't actually going to speed up the draft, I never would have conceded.

So, since it hasn't, I take back my concession. :p

Let's think about this, without prep, what advantage does Alucard have? Speed (maybe) and ranged attacks. What advantages does Kratos have? Melee, power, endurance, variety of experience.

So, with prep time, what is Alucard going to do? Know to stay as far away as possible? Yeah, there's that. And that helps with the ranged attacks. But what's he going to do to make up for the lacking in pure power? Or the lacking of endurance? Sure, he can help endurance a little bit, but not entirely. And if it ever gets down to a question of endurance, it's because Kratos has started to get some good shots in on him. And if that's happening, he's going to go down a lot faster than Kratos.

So, yeah, I fully retract my concession, and I think Kratos can, and should, win this one.

7. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Not to mention I do believe Kratos' magic would be able to do some damage against Alucard's mist form, taking away that advantage.

8. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Oh my, my, my... wowzers. I'm not sure Alucard has been disrespected quite like this since the first draft. We've just forgotten an awful lot, haven't we?

My bad on the wait. I should've just judged late Monday when I had the time, instead of being lazy and waiting until yesterday, which turned out to be a really busy day for me. I guess I should also apologize if I implied that I thought that this was, like, at all close when I said I was going to "think about it". That was just a poor way of saying that I'll get to it a bit later. Kratos doesn't have a prayer when Alucard's prepped and he isn't. And, uh, even without prep, it's a whooooooooooole lot closer than what's being thrown around here.

So I was just gonna come in here and drop a quick vote for Alucard with a short explanation, but now... yeah, I'm gonna need more time here. Back a bit later.

9. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Whoops. Played some SotN just to make sure I wasn't mistaken about a few things and I just got caught up in it. Been playing all day. That game is still better than 99% of the stuff coming out these days.

Anyways, yeah, Kratos is done.

First off, the mist. No, Kratos' magic isn't going to do anything to Alucard if he's in mist form. The mist is probably the best way to avoid an attack quickly if you get caught in a bad situation. And everything will pass right through him. Including magic of just about any variety you can think of. Also, when fully powered up, the mist is poisonous. It's not too powerful, but it's certainly something that can do its share to wear Kratos down over the course of a confrontation.

Also, Alucard is indeed faster, as demonstrated right at the beginning. Crappy quality, but whatever. And yeah, obviously he's nowhere near as good as he will eventually be at that point.

And what about Alucard's magic? What it is, chopped liver? Soul Steal, anyone? The ability to forcefully rip someone's life force out of their body and use it heal the caster. Not useful? Teleportation. Those little soul summons. Those are kinda like a (probably) weaker version of a spell that Kratos once had a lot of use for, which was the spell he got from Hades. Only, as of his peak in GoW2, he doesn't have that spell anymore.

What about the familiars? Even the crappiest one (the ghost) is going to at least be a huge nuisance for Kratos. You think he can afford distractions? Hell, the fairy could be extremely helpful as well. Alucard wouldn'y have to waste any of his time in using whatever items he might bring to the fight. The fairy can take care of that for him, letting him concentrate completely on the fight at hand. And the more powerful familiars (the devil and the sword) would be more than just a nuisance. Whichever one he decides to use, they're gonna be a huge help.

And Alucard's experience is lacking? How's this for a battle that matches almost anything Kratos can boast about? You're probably thinking that looked too easy to be all that great of a fight. And yeah, that one was easy. But only because of the equipment that he had on that allowed him to not only nullify lightning, but absorb it. Pretty much makes what's probably the nastiest boss in the game a total cakewalk. Hey, isn't one of Kratos' more useful spells a bunch of balls of lightning?

I mean, all that other stuff I was talking about is available to Alucard without any prep. But once we get into optimized equipment setups, he just becomes a whole other beast entirely. There are just some absurd weapons and armor he can equip with some prep. Like... oh, wow. The shield rod. Just found this video. I forgot how utterly easy the game is with that thing. Especially when paired with the Alucard shield. Actually... no, I'm not even gonna allow that thing to be taken into account. It's way, way too cheap.

But there are other things that still rock incredibly hard without veering off into "OMG HAX!" territory like the shield rod does.

Kratos may be a bit stronger (I wouldn't underestimate Alucard there for a second, though) and a slightly better melee fighter, but I question whether or not he even touches Alucard once in this fight.

Winner: Alucard

10. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Oh, and Grahf wins as well, of course.

Atari 2600 Conference

Manson's Real Reality (1) vs. Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (0)

ColecoVision Conference

Dante! and Friends (1) vs. The Fall of Man (0)

3 and junk.

Atari 2600 Conference

Ramirez (Skies of Arcadia) vs. Zack Fair (FF: Crisis Core) TRUMPED with Dawn of Dreams (Onimusha)

ColecoVision Conference

Yuna (FF X) *prepared* vs. Kefka (FF VI)

11. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Nothing? Eh, you probably wouldn't have changed my mind, anyways.

Trump is simply too much for Ramirez, and they win.

And, yeah. Yuna certainly makes it interesting, but Kefka is just too overpowering for her and her Aeons to handle. Prep or no, she can't take him down all by her lonesome. Kefka.

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I was going to say that. Now I just have to be a parrot again.

13. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Atari 2600 Conference

Manson's Real Reality (1) vs. Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (1)

ColecoVision Conference

Dante! and Friends (1) vs. The Fall of Man (1)

Atari 2600 Conference

Seifer Almasy (FF VIII) *prepared* vs. Tir McDohl (Suikoden) *prepared*

ColecoVision Conference

Crono TRUMPED with A Frog and a Robot (Chrono Trigger) vs. Gill (Street Fighter)

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Three-on-one, eh? Looks like it could be a tough battle ... until you consider

a) The better Chrono trumps involve Marle and her healing awesomeness. While Robo and Frog have some healing techniques, they aren't the best of their techniques, and you are much better off when they are on the offensive. If the two of them get reduced to defensive healing, this is an easier match for Gill to win.
    b) this trump isn't maximized, as their only triple-tech isn't all that awesome (doesn't involve any of Chrono's lightning, let alone his top-tier lightning)

15. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Well this is certainly a doozy of a match. Seifer's right up there with Squall in all areas, and I'm thinking he's the better of the two combatants were they unprepped. That's important because it's pretty obvious that both guys can get crazy good with a little bit of time and some equipment.

Anyways, Seifer's weapon may not be quite as powerful as the Soul Eater, but the gunblade is still pretty damn nifty, and it gets even better once he amps it all up. Seifer's got a ****-ton of different items and magic he can equip, all of which will be pretty handy. Hastega could be extemely helpful, and Slowga's a possibility, although I'm not certain that it'll work against Tir. Status effects probably won't work with Tir being ready for them and all, but that goes both ways. Obviously Seifer will bring a good number of potions and elixirs to sustain his health. He isn't exactly dumb when it comes to equipment, so it'll be up to him whether to stock up more on strength/durability boosters, or whether to equip funky types of magic to catch Tir off-guard. Whatever the case, he'll be an absolute beast once he's through.

I think Seifer takes this with both guys unprepared. And from what I know, I also think that FF VIII characters gain more with prep than the majority of the Suikoden guys do. Hence, prepped Seifer > prepped Tir.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I like Seifer in that one. I'll probably be schooled on Tir being crazy powerful, but I don't see it against Seifer.

And that trump is not going to lose to Gill. He'll probably be tough to bring down, but they have the cohesion, and loads of skill to get the job done.

17. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Tir may have a bit more power, but Seifer is just that much more skilled. Larger skill gap ftw and stuff. Seifer wins.

And yeah, nice try, but the trump is just too cohesive and too skilled as a whole to lose this. Hell, they even have direct experience against things that have a nasty habit of coming back to life if you don't beat it the right way. Trump wins.

18. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Atari 2600 Conference

Manson's Real Reality (2) vs. Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (1)

ColecoVision Conference

Dante! and Friends (2) vs. The Fall of Man (1)

5. Okay?

Atari 2600 Conference

Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic series) *prepared* vs. Dawn of Dreams (Onimusha) *forfeit*

ColecoVision Conference

Jaina Proudmoore (Warcraft) vs. Vayne Caradus Solidor (FF XII)

Vayne, yes?

And also much gratitude is in order to the number gods that we don't have to hear Zizz say anything on the subject of Shadow.

19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah. No doubt.

20. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Atari 2600 Conference

Manson's Real Reality (3) vs. Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (1)

ColecoVision Conference

Dante! and Friends (2) vs. The Fall of Man (2)

Now I'm gonna hit ya with a bit of that funky 2 stuff.

Atari 2600 Conference

Luca Blight (Suikoden) TRUMPED with Margulis (Xenosaga) vs. Eiko Carol (FF IX) *prepared*

ColecoVision Conference

A Frog and a.... Robot? (Chrono Trigger) *forfeit* vs. Thrall (Warcraft) *prepared*

I'm gonna say Eiko here. If the trump was maybe really cohesive, but it isn't. It's just neutral-ish. They're not gonna work together all epic-like right off the bat, certainly.

But mostly it's because, for the most part, these are two short range fighters. They both rely almost exclusively on their swordplay, and that, I think, will make it too difficult for them to get at Eiko when a massive Phoenix is attacking them. Eiko wins.

21. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    How many summons is Eiko going to be able to get off are we thinking? Obviously she starts with one, most likely her best, but if that's dispensed with (no easy task I know, but these two, as uncohesive as they may be, are both tanks - especially Luca), where does that leave her? Will she have enough time to get off another one with both of them (or only one if the summon takes out the other) coming at her? It's not like she's able to defend herself against either of these two in hand to hand combat. I mean, how old is she again?

Edit: Oh, and this Shadow/trump thing is a load of huey. Give me a break with that "Number Gods" bull****, I see past your smoke screens. So Shadow just happened to fall on a forfeit? A mere coincidence? Really? I smell a number-fixer, and it stinks. It stinks real bad.

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I agree with that. Eiko.

23. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Dude, those two are not beating Phoenix or Madeen. Not happening. I might give them a puncher's chance against Fenrir, I guess.

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Well having not played the game, I'll have to take your word for it. For now. But mark my words, I'll be back. You haven't heard the last of me!

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Didn't see Zizz post.

P.S. don't you have some commissioning to do. Or if not that, then a PM to send?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.