main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 4.0: IT CAN STOP TIME! (Goooooooo Matches) - Winner: BaSSiL

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Shadow_of_Durron, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Okay, kids, let's do this.

Championship Match

Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (0) vs. The Fall of Man (0)

So let's do this right way and start with the number 9. Why is starting with 9 the way? Just shut up and obey.

Championship Match

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) *prepared* vs. Magus' Goons (Chrono Trigger *prepared*

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My argument is the same as last time. I know nothing about Suikoden so I can't make this specific. Magus Goons have three guys with varying levels of magic and swordplay that know how to operate as a team, and with prep time can walk in with a couple of undead soldiers ... including, potentially, one that's on par with a mystical t-rex sort of thing. Versatility and numbers give the goons an edge here, but I don't know specifically what Tir has to counter that.

3. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Marcus is just saving the day all over the place, isn't he?

Nice game Bassil. You came hard, you fought hard, and you won hard. Contrat-u-lations.

4. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Oops, I only meant to mull on this for a few hours, not... forget about it.

Anyways, yeah, I was only hesitant because Tir is just so clearly the strongest individual in the match. But still, as a full unit, the Goons are just too much for him to beat all by himself. Simple.

Winner: Magus' Goons

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Ok, I agree with that.

6. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Championship Match

Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (0) vs. The Fall of Man (1)

Easy 8.

Championship Match

Dawn of Dreams (Onimusha) TRUMPED with Zack Fair (FF: Crisis Core) vs. Onaga (Mortal Kombat) TRUMPED with Zeal (Chrono Trigger)

Definitely leaning towards the first trump, but I'll wait a bit on some debate if you guys wanna.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll just say a few words in favor of my trump.

Zeal can hang back and attack everyone else. Honestly. Because she's a magician and that's all, and that isn't going to effect Onaga. So Onaga can get up close and personal and rough up his opponents while Zeal is able to hang back and use her magic to attack everyone else ... and only effect her opponents.

Sure, that probably means that Onaga will be out of the match before it's over, but that's okay with me, Zeal has some of the best healing/regenerative magic in the entire draft. And, the personality to sacrifice a teammate to survive.

I think with her ability to hang back and attack from the get go, from quite a distance, and then bring it on full force in the end, my trump can pull this off.

Plus, Zack strikes me as someone who really needs prep time to have the best chance for success. And he doesn't have that here.

8. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    That would be all fine and dandy if I didn't have my own distance fighter to keep Zeal honest. Ohatsu will be plenty to keep Zeal from concentrating entirely on attacking, while the other three can, let's be honest, make quick work of Onaga in this sense. They've all faster than him, and all have physical attacks that really pack a wallop. So Zack doesn't have the optimal materia set up, he's still fast and powerful. With Ohatsu keeping Zeal busy, and the three physical attackers taking care of Onaga quickly, they'll then move onto Zeal and, in a close match, take her down as well.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't think a single enemy will keep Zeal occupied all that long though. Not with her "attack all" magics and her ability to start ravaging opponents. You're going to need damn good healing magic to counter her best magic, which is just a few notches short of Kefka's Fallen Angel attack. That's going to effect everyone it hits except Onaga. So, she can start with that attack (as she almost always does), and then from there, use whatever attack she needs to finish someone off, of keep them at back, while reserving enough energy to keep healing herself (which is her usual mojo)

Edit: Forgot to mention Zeal's other fantastic attack: MP Buster, which takes away the ability of her opponent to do magic. :cool:

10. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I still think my team's speed and ability to quickly make this a 4 on 1 fight will outweigh anything Zeal can do from a distance before Onaga falls. He was tough for the physical fighters of MK to hurt, but all of my guys deal more damage than even the strongest physical fighter for MK.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Except the initial attack from Zeal will be enough to weaken most of your team, that Onaga can dispatch of some of them before he's dispatched. The magic won't hurt him, even if he's up with them on the attack.

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Except I think the first trump is a bit more cohesive, and I think Zack can handle Onaga on his own, if not beat him. DoD has crazy speed, so I don't know how often Zeal's magic is going to hit. Tough, maybe, but I don't doubt they can pull in the win.

Trump the first

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    How it's going to hit? Just watch the first attack she uses in this fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcRrbC9hRVU

It's called "Hallation".

It hits everyone and everything. There's no dodging it. Unless you are the caster of the spell (as Zeal is) or impervious to a magic attack (as Onaga is). Then, it's get healed quickly or die.

And that attack doesn't even come in her final form.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Heal quickly? None of those guys healed themselves, and proceeded to knock her around until she was forced to turn into that other form.

Does she get that though? I am unsure.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Those guys were also prepared, and probably controlled by someone using a strategy guide. Or at least had played the game several times before. No prep time to allow them to be ready to combat her and know that the attack is coming.

And why wouldn't she get that attack? There was nothing about neutering her on the list.

16. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    I'm almost positive that her second form is a fusion between her and the mammon machine or black omen or whatever. No mammon machine, no second form. And her in normal form, aside from that one cheap spell = good, but not that great. She's got no physical skills whatsoever, and it doesn't take all that much to send her packing. If the entire DoD team is attacking her at once, even if they get hit by the cheap thing, they're still capable of beating her. It's not like the rest of her magic can't be avoided, especially with the speed they bring.

And that entire team can attack her at once, because yes, Zack can take care of Onaga by himself. He's that much faster and that much more skilled. And if Zeal ends up defeating DoD somehow, Zack will likely be done and can finish off what's left of her. So yeah, there's a strong possibility that we'll have a only-one-person-left-standing scenario here, because it's definitely a very good match, but if that one person is anyone, it's almost certainly Zack.

Winner: Zack and DoD

17. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Championship Match

Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (1) vs. The Fall of Man (1)

What say we get the forfeits out of the way, eh? 6 first.

Championship Match

Zack Fair (FF: Crisis Core) *forfeit* vs. Saix (Kingdom Hearts)

Followed by 4.

Championship Match

Eiko Carol (FF IX) *prepared* vs. Zeal (Chrono Trigger) *forfeit*

And now the match looks like this:

Championship Match

Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (2) vs. The Fall of Man (2)

So let's try a non-forfeit with 10.

Championship Match

Roxas (Kingdom Hearts) vs. Kefka (FF VI)

Kefka, yes?

18. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I meant her second form, which as Durron said, I thought was a fusion, much like Ramirez's.

And sure they were prepared, but it's not like they're not going to just attack her. They got two turns each compared to her single turn, which leads me to believe that she is not the fastest character around. And the fact that the spell was not crippling means, to me, that it will hurt, but not incapacitate.

Kefka, yes.

19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Championship Match

Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (2) vs. The Fall of Man (3)

Okay, 7.

Championship Match

Wu the Lotus Blossom (Jade Empire) vs. Thrall (Warcraft) *prepared*

Wow, I think we might be able to officially give The Last Spirit Monk the title of "Carnage of the Video Game Draft". Quite sad. Anyways, I'd almost without a doubt give Wu the nod in this one were Thrall not prepped. With it, though, my vote in this very nice match would have to clearly swing his way. Thrall wins.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Thrall person.

21. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Championship Match

Richard Kopelle and His Therapy Buddys (2) vs. The Fall of Man (4)

Lesse what happens with 2.

Championship Match

KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) vs. Kratos (God of War)

Dayum. Matches don't get a whole lot cooler than that. Of course... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't leaning heavily to one side. But it's a pretty huge match, so I'll wait a while, just in case.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  23. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Crap! I did it again. So, yeah, as really cool as this match is, the MOS simply wouldn't lose it very often at all. Kratos would have to get very lucky indeed.

Winner: KOS-MOS

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    What was Kratos' roll?

25. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.