main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The VISIONS Fan Club - All spoilers behind spoiler tags!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 17, 2021.

1. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    This is on the bottom of my top four: The Duel, The Ninth Jedi, The Elder and The Twins. My first issue with this one was the Twins being able to survive the rigors of space, but only afterwards was I able to rationalize that this was perhaps possible by the very fact they had undergone so much genetic manipulation, likely for that same purpose. To not only amplify the force, but to survive in environments where other species could not. Indeed, this was over the top- and yes, it was all about their strong emotions and polar opposites. I had to really suspend my expectations of realism to enjoy the more metaphysical aspects. It did help greatly that they used one of the more spectacular effects ( and a personal favorite on a strictly visual level ) of the Star Destroyer being split in two by a light speed weapon- that will always be breath taking to me. The Twin SD design was more of a visual gag I think, than something to take 'seriously'.

I chuckled towards the end, when the protocol droid had a Buck Rogers fishbowl/ helmet on his head- because droids don't need oxygen is space. That was funny to me. Also R-DUO, literally R-2!!! Well played. Overall, enjoyed for the dramatic content.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Sinrebirth and Kato Sai like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I agree with those four.

I’m not sure if Ninth Jedi has the potential to edge out Duel but that has a novel to help.

HanSolo29 , Kato Sai and greyjedi125 like this.
  3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Thank you for that. The genetic alteration and augmentation does make the duel on Star Destroyers in space at least acceptable.

Yeah Master Am’s amor in Twins was female Darth Vader armor, totally a gag. XD

greyjedi125 likes this.
  4. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I wasn’t as impressed with Ronin as it seems the masses are. It definitely wasn’t bad, the animation was GAWGEOUS. But I think the Twins is being overlooked.

It’s like Star Wars meets ANIME EXTREMES. Which I loved. Will watch 2 more tonight, not sure which.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Ronin is subtle in his texture and character development, reminded me so much of Kikuchiyo (Toshiro Mifune) in Seven Samurai by Kurosawa.

Though I be a major fan of Samurai, I realize such storytelling isn’t for everyone.

The Twins was more popular anime, Dragon Ball Z meets Gundam meets Star Wars. ;)

Lord-Skywalker and greyjedi125 like this.
  6. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    *grows thoughtful* Hmmm.

I supposed if The Duel took place in the world of Afro Samurai, perhaps you may have liked it better? Granted, I'm not sure which headband Ronin would have, if any. But I think he would fair rather well against Kuma.

Kato Sai likes this.
  7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    This one really effected me on spiritual and metaphysical level. The music was so transcendent and beautiful, it took me on the waves of the wind.

The Bride willing to give over her life on heels of her wedding was so moving. The serenity in this short was palpable.

8. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Oh without a doubt it was heavily inspired by Kurosawa. Damn near a homage to his work. That fact alone doesn’t impress me/excite me. Story was fun, but the animation was the star.

As far as the Twins, it’s not the animation that puts it over for me: it’s the actual story combined with the extreme levels it takes Star Wars pieces. I just loved it.

I liked the Duel as well. The animation style was, like most of the shorts, downright breathtaking, but more in its subtlety. Reminded me of the soft anime motion stylings of 90s animes like Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop. There was a story to be told on the just watching the protagonists interact with the world.

Sinrebirth and greyjedi125 like this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to admit, I just got done watching The Ninth Jedi, and I LOVED it!

The Sith reveal when they all ignited their red blades was masterfully done. I didn't see that coming at all!

And I know Sinre will appreciate this, but it also reminded me a lot of Between Epitaphs. The way they were describing Juro at the beginning, I couldn't help but think of the Master. :p

With that said, I think Ninth Jedi definitely edges out The Duel as my favorite so far!

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Ninth Jedi moves to my favorite list. Had the best dueling and force powers.

My Fav List:

Akakiri
    Ninth Jedi
    The Duel
    The Village Bride

At last Force Drain on screen!

To hear the words Acolytes of the Sith! Gave me chills.

Juro was a great Jedi, finally we are getting Jedi who make the Jedi Order seem just and kind.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Zayne Carrick!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Elder

The Master and Padawan dynamic was good.

I didn’t like the Elder Darksider as much as The Sith Shogun (Akakiri), The Dark Lady in The Duel, Master Am in Twins, and the Acolytes in Ninth Jedi.

Though it was neat to see Force Lightning in the rain.

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Loved the Master and Padawan bit, that was really good and the mysterious dark long haired Jedi caught my attention!

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Star Wars: Ronin: The Curse of Qalydon

It started as any war did.

A squabble in the Core, between Coruscant and Alsakan over trade rights in the Expansion Region, that the Jedi were asked to arbitrate for the thirteenth time.

Nobody could say precisely when it became a conflict between the True Jedi and Dark Jedi. Nobody could say when the Republic morphed into an Empire in response to the crisis, and the battle became one of rebellion against the Jedi Lords. Nobody could say when the war saw monstrosities and ancient technology reduce the half the known galaxy to primitivism. Nobody could say when the idea of the noble, honourable Jedi became fantastical - legend.

All we could say was when it ended. The Battle of Corbos. By then it was known as the Hundred Years Darkness, and the Dark Jedi were exiled in defeat. Only to return from the Unknowns as Sith.

It has been twenty years since then.

Since the Dark Jedi became Sith, since the Sith flooded those devastated worlds and picked at the remnants of the war to rule the broken masses. Bandits, raiders, pirate hordes. Outside the Core was given away, even worlds as affluent as Alderaan were left to fend for themselves.

Five Dark Lords rule from their Thrones.

The Empire and the Jedi Lords who cannot see their own corruption allow it.

Who will stop the Sith?

You will.

That’s who.

—-

Welcome to Ronin: The Curse of Qalydon. Inspired by the Visions short known as The Duel, and detailed more in the novel Ronin, we follow a very different galaxy. One which has seen civilisation fall in the wake of the Hundred Years Darkness.

Your character? It could be a servant of the Dark Lords, a Jedi squire, a corrupt Imperial, or even, of course, a former Sith - unable to return to the Jedi Order, spurned by deepest darks…

Choose your path in a broken galaxy.

If Addie asks, you did not see me.

Shadowsun, Sarge, Kato Sai and 3 others like this.
  16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I have to admit Addie, Visions has restored the image of the Jedi, shown us a better diversity of Ashlanites and Lightsiders.

I suspect GoL will get new recruits soon. ;)

darthbernael and greyjedi125 like this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
  18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    My reading pile grows.

19. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks, Sinre!

darthbernael likes this.