main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The wait in between films is getting to be too much

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by TofuJedi, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If this is the quote mentioned
    Problem with this article is that this isn't a quote from an insider. This sounds more like a quote from the article's author and his perspective of the events that went down.

Alot of the article isn't really worth reading its just a analyze of KK's time at Lucasfilm with the only quote i could see was "getting it right" as the only quote that may be from an insider.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. If that is indeed what is being quoted and discussed, it's essentially a meaningless waste of time. It's just the author of the article adding their own take.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If most of Arndt's ideas were jettisoned, he wouldn't have remained credited as a writer on the film.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I was able to pull the quote being discussed from the article's source code, and cleaned it up so you're not parsing through bits of formatting code. See below:

It sounds like this is Belloni's own interpretation of what happened, which I think most of us assumed. That also doesn't really seem to gel with what Arndt himself said about writing the script back in 2015 when The Force Awakens came out. From how Arndt describes it, he simply wasn't able to get the story he was writing to work on the page. That kind of mea culpa isn't something you'd expect from someone if their ideas had been "jettisoned." But don't let facts get in the way of a good whine!

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Was it her decision to play it safe, or was she getting directions from the CEO of the parent company that had just paid $4 billion for the studio she’s the President of?

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    A 6 year wait between films would be more of an issue it there wasn't so much tv series content of Star Wars on D+ .

7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Both!

2Cleva likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Seems more likely, rather than be schizophrenic in her decisions, that Iger was the one who got them to play it safe for TFA and then IX.

10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Hollywood Reporter says Lindeloff’s film will be post-TRoS and may feature the return of some ST characters.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    A link for what? For my personal hypothesis, so that I can prove superiority of my hypothesis, over someone else's hypothesis?

This isn't a scientific paper to be evaluated and peer reviewed by a committee of distinguished professors.

If someone can safely assume that KK was given directions by Bob Iger to play it safe, then I can also safely assume that she acted on her own accord.
    It would only be schizophrenic if one sees RJ as a risky choice. In 2014, RJ probably seemed like a safe choice indeed.
    Then we all know what happened, but hindsight is 20/20.

On topic, please keep away Lindeloff from anything Star Wars. I wasn't even disappointed by the last season of LOST as much as other people were, but it is evident that he and Carlton Cuse had extremely poor planning skills when it comes to the story. And I haven't been impressed by anything that Lindeloff wrote. No, just no.

2Cleva and cwustudent like this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Why would he seem like a safe choice when he was overtly pitching something which went against expectations?

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    RJ was in no position to pitch anything of substance when he got hired. He was approached because of the name he had made, not because he had a great idea about where Star Wars should go. After all, he was hired to film the 2nd part of a trilogy.

2Cleva and cwustudent like this.
  14. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    A Secret Writers Room, a Rising Scribe and a Post-‘Skywalker’ Timeline: A Look Inside Damon Lindelof’s ’Star Wars’ Movie (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...wars-inside-damon-lindelofs-movie-1235247453/

Hmmm, a potential Star Wars film set in the aftermath of the Sequel Trilogy might have been born in a writer's room that Dave Filoni was apparently present in? If that ends up being true, that ought to throw a wrench in a few, erm, theories being touted around on these forums about the internal workings at Lucasfilm. [face_laugh]

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So RJ didn’t pitch anything to get hired? She didn’t approve any of his ideas either then? She thought it was a really safe bet until the day **** hit the fan?

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to go ahead and share this post over in the New Rumours thread, since that's really the most appropriate place to discuss this I think.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I want to get excited, but I am afraid of another cancellation

cwustudent likes this.
  18. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Hope this new film happens at least it’s in a fresh era!

19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    There's playing it safe and there's playing it safe. I'm not sure anyone was expecting Episode VII to take massive creative risks or turn SW on its head. However, the 'playing it safe' they chose was (IMO) so risk averse that they removed the necessary creative intelligence/invention that is fundamental to SW. Giving TFA to JJ Abrams, but not having a creative visionary to set the direction of travel and oversee the whole trilogy, was probably the biggest single mistake of the ST (IMO). It wasn't that TFA was 'safe' per se, but that DLF's risk aversion, and seemingly need for control, didn't allow for a single vision to be built into the plan.

Pro Scoundrel and Sarge like this.
  20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

Uh, yeah, so I wasn’t aware that saying ‘playing it safe’ didn’t cut the mustard for condemnation of TFA. I will use much stronger language to get much point across in the future.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    This is the direct quote... just so we can all interpret correctly. It's worth noting that no named source is actually quoted, and it's not Lindelof himself stating that it's a post ST story etc. So I'd take this with a large grain of salt.

And sources say that the story would take place after the events of 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, although it would not be a continuation of the Skywalker saga. It could, however, feature some of the characters from the Star Wars trilogy made in the 2010s.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So their sources are correct, but just not on this detail?

23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Makes a lot of sense - especially this part:

Darth PJ likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Not sure what you mean? 'Playing it safe' can be viewed either as a criticism or a broader 'neutral' comment/observation. There's lots of 'good' films that play it safe. I'm just pointing out, as someone who views TFA as a poor SW film, that 'playing it safe' wasn't the issue itself... and I understand why they (be it Iger or Kennedy) wanted a film that would not be seen as controversial and would hit the SW beats. I think both Rogue One and TFA 'play it safe', but IMO one is vastly superior to the other.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It’s paywalled (which is a bold move for a publication with essentially no brand).

Yes, and I also don’t like TFA.

I’m more bemused that even a possible neutral comment attracts an ‘actually it was much worse, let me tell you why.’

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022