main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did they really bump off Jesus? He looked pretty dead there and no one was tending to him. You'd figure Jesus would be faster to take out a baddie but Jesus wasn't expecting a zombie to straight up dodge and stab him in the back. (I tuned in for a repeat about 15 seconds before Walking Dead started and the end of Talking Dead was on and Chris Hardwicke was hugging someone at the end which usually a sign that a castmember died)

Anyway, bonus points that the final scene actually straight up takes place in a foggy graveyard at night, very old school horror movie, a template the series usually tries to avoid but they just went for such an iconic type of location to set it for the big Whisperer reveal twist.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay so.

I just watched an episode of this show where a zombie did karate, dodged a katana, stabbed someone, and then taunted them. A couple questions spring to mind:

1. What is the difference between being a zombie and a human anymore if both retain the memories, personalities, higher cognition, and desires?

2. Why is there any incentive not to become a zombie?

3. Why are the two groups even fighting?

Did this show lose track of what it's supposed to be about?

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    it's not a zombie, its a person in a zombie suit

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This feels like the time someone asked me whether I realized Data isn't actually a robot, but a human actor who plays a robot on TV.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought we were supposed to tag comic spoilers that haven't made their way into the TV version or have yet to be revealed in the TV verse yet?

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Daryl showed that it was a zombie mask, so that is not a spoiler.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, "The Whispers" have made their TV debut on the mid season finale.

And "Jesus," was it a debut.

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and Diggy like this.
  9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    still not seen it, still haven't seen the last few episodes of FTWD

it may happen eventually, when I'm bored.

Probably Christmas Day

10. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Oooh, thread bumped.

Still not caught up

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, the showrunners have written Maggie's character off during the time jump for mysterious reasons. So, since they didn't kill of Maggie they could bring the character back should Lauren Cohan want to come back should her new show "Whiskey Cavalier" gets cancelled or other reasons. It's doubtful they would recast Maggie.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    one of the trade articles indicated Michonne could show up on the Rick Grimes Magical Spin off Movie Showcase which I think would be great from a character arc POV, although dropping another comic book character who is still around leaves the future direction of the character arcs up in the air. The only old castmembers left standing are Daryl and Carol and Daryl isn't even in the comic and Carol left the comic at the prison arc. Although they could still do what comes later with the same plot mechanics instead using Carol and Daryl (the same way we are getting The Whsiperers but without Rick Grimes or Carl). Like after her there's basically no main characters left, Rick, Michonne, Carl, Maggie who are still going strong in the comic. But there's some great Michonne stuff in the most recent issues I would love to see (if they somehow got there).

Overall, this is what happens generally on TV when you have long running series that start to hit double-digit seasons, main castmembers just drop off.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  14. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do like the introduction of the Whispers and even though we got a very special episode dedicated to a brand new character introduced, it was basically the entire Alpha origin in one shot and her final reveal was grand.

Like this is one of those Direct From the Comic Book Pages pulls which I adore (although she's a tad more messy with the grime and all here than Alpha in the book but, hey, wearing zombie skins is dirty work)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  16. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Honestly I feel like these shows could use something positive. I mean it's been all doom and gloom for humanity all throughout and I wouldn't mind some kind of turn-around. Perhaps they could meet a community of people who when they die (unless bitten) stay dead. And just gradually sprinkle in little things like this. I watched a lot of Fear the Walking Dead because I have liked most of the characters but it is just so depressing and I find the horror of it replaying in my head, so I'm back to this hating zombie shows again. I just can't stand all the horrible stuff that happens to people.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, they find something positive for a character inabouts issue 170ish. But this last episode was about issue 130ish and, yeah, more gloom and by the adaptation cycle that wouldn't show up until season 11, maybe? The cycle is definitely real of finding progressively more horrible people they come into conflict with. The wandering is over, though. They found a home and now it's about fighting to keep and rebuild society.

My gripe about last night was that in the flashback (hey a flashback to the outbreak, that hasn't really happened on the show) Alpha suffocated the dude to keep him quiet but if you look at the camera angle, his nostril breathing passage was still open. Maybe she bashed him real good?

18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    From what I've seen of these shows it's impossible to rebuild society because the infection can't be contained. Even if you have a peaceful group/situation for the most part, people still die. And when they die they become zombies because everyone is infected, and turn other people into zombies. There is no effective way that I've seen to avoid zombie hordes for sure (many settlements are simply destroyed by zombies in some episodes). Reality is basically that it is only a matter of time before each individual (or the vast majority of them) die in a horrible way, likely involving zombies. It is the end of the human race. There is no rebuilding society.

Things that could indicate otherwise:
    - are there some people out there who aren't infected, and stay dead when they die (unless bitten); although the show could leave the question of what that means unanswered, it would mean there is a possibility that maybe there is an end to this eventually
    - can the zombies significantly decay to the point where as time goes on they increasingly become less of a threat, eventually just falling apart? that would at least mean the sheer mass of them will decline, which means there is a chance.
    -FtWD did toy with the idea of some people being immune as there was a man who claimed he'd been bitten and didn't turn - but this turned out to be a story he made up to give others hope. Still are there people like that somewhere?
    - is there a technology that could be used to manipulate zombie movements sufficiently enough to protect entire areas (likely utilizing sound)?

So far it is positive that the disease hasn't appeared to jump species, but I'm sure Walking Dead Africa and zombie chimps is just waiting out there! (I forgot there are chimps in the US. No need to go to Africa to find them!)

(Also, I haven't read the comics, so I don't know if they lead to showing rebuilding society in a way that works and this is just my skepticism talking...)

And I do think if there was an organized line of lookouts, many zombie hordes could be successfully redirected with minimal risk. But it's just things go wrong sometimes, and the consequences of little mistakes end up being incredibly devastating.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm pretty sure Kirkman came with with an original, in zombie fiction, idea that everyone comes back as a zombie, being bitten doesn't matter ultimately, everyone comes back unless it's head trauma / damage to the brain, which is an interesting quirk. Back at the end of Season 1 they had the doctor guy in the CDC investigating a "cure" maybe but that place got blown up and there's no comic book counterpart to it. It seems "everyone is infected" is an overriding rule for the world unless that changes. But they do show that pretty much everyone in a closed society, safely behind walls, are hip to that quirk so they make sure to cause damage to the brain area so the dead don't reanimate. It should be a standard thing if anyone dies in a society. However, there is the whole "old man dies in his sleep alone" problem which has been seen happen before but if you have a group that knows it's an issue they should be able to recover from it.

They found a "rotting zombie" many issues ago, like 100, in the comic that was too diseased / broken to go on but they haven't done that on the TV show as far as I know but it does show that they eventually decay if left alone they aren't eternally walking dead. and the zombies on the show do look progressively worse as the series goes on as opposed to the "fresh" ones at the beginning of the series.

oncafar likes this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I think we can observe that the zombies are degrading and getting perhaps slower over time. But there is no cure and no rebuilding of civilization.

21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    @BigAl6ft6 - here's an example: Wasn't the story of the character Naomi on FtWD that her child was sick and she didn't tell anyone because she was afraid it would result in her child being killed. It took her too long to find medicine. By the time she returned, everyone was a zombie. Somehow one little girl dying when no one expected it resulted in the entire community becoming zombies. There isn't a way to prevent this kind of thing because humans can't be this perfect to never make little mistakes and never make decisions ruled by their sentiments.

Most of the human race is already dead/zombies. Only a small fraction remain. They are not reproducing much at all. Even the risk of reproduction would be huge - imagine a stillborn (oops will it start eating you from the inside out first?). Resources/supplies are dwindling as well, and the more that occurs, the more people are going to get sick (the more people get sick, the more they die).

There is no future. The shows are basically the end days of the human race. Every time the characters try to build, it is destroyed one way or another. Long term survival is impossible. There is likely no one left to develop a cure (most of the people with those kinds of skills are already dead and the infrastructure needed to manufacture one most likely is gone too).

The main overriding factors are these from my point of view:
    • too many zombies (there are likely ~7 billion zombies on earth) - the sheer mass of zombies means they are an overwhelming force, so unless they can significantly decay to the point they are not a threat things are pretty grim
    • the infection is inside everyone already - when they die, no matter what the cause, they will become a zombie. This means even if you can effectively fortify against the previous bullet point, the threat is already inside which means settlements will be compromised from within (as they have already in the shows)
    My guess is the human race has a limited number of years remaining, and they will all be gone within 100 years, unless something about one of those two bullet points changes.

The general point of the show is not to explain why the infection is there or create a sci-fi story about cures or whatever. The show is a dire end-of-the-world drama. My argument though was we've already had seasons worth of doom and gloom, so just sprinkling in some potentially hopeful tidbits that contradict the reality of those two bullet points, could give new life to the show. I don't see why not since it's been so much doom and gloom. And it could even be done in such a way that it doesn't really tell you what the outcome is, but it adds just a bit of hope.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    well Walking Dead hit a huge messy moment in the comics

with Alpha taking a bunch of citizens and sticking their zombie heads on pikes to show the line between their territory, and it was as messy here as it was. However, the victims were different, in the comics included in the dozens of heads on pikes are the King and Rosita who I fully 100% expected to be victims here but they weren't at all. A decent swerve for comic fans who knew what was coming by leaving them off the roster. Mostly the bumped off secondary characters I never really liked aside from Enid who is one I didn't see coming. Killing off Henry was a decent swerve and as I said I expected the King to die from the comics and to motivate Carol and since Henry had become the "what happens to Carl" character so I didn't see it coming. But I never really liked Henry anyway. Still, it is a crazy moment and once again it's a brutal visual. Sidiq is officially becoming the guy to not hang around cuz either Carl dies or 10 frickin people die as well. Bad luck! good speech, though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  23. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fear the Walking Dead had it's finale but the best stuff was in the last 8 minutes in a really dramatic scene that may have killed off Morgan, I kind of hope it did not that I hate Morgan, I dig him and Lenny James' performance there was fantastic, it was just kind of an excellent final shot/moment that it'd be a shame to sweep it under The Dumpster. Unless Rick Helicopters in and saves Morgan, that would be cool. This season did learn a bit more about Helicopter People who stole Rick Grimes so that was something out of it. I like the actress who plays the new baddie Not Negan Horseridding Lady on Fear cuz I've seen her in a bunch of stuff (last seen as a suit in The Boys) and she's always pretty good.

Season premiere next week for more Walking Dead! Yah, sure, why not. For all the gripes about stretching it out, they still haven't adapted the whole comic run yet, and even though the show takes a lot of detours and changes characters up, it still follows the general arc of the comic. Hell the final issue of the comic could probably be 1 or 2 seasons unto itself (but kind of hard to do considering the cast changes)

25. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    So I’m surprised that this wasn’t shared to the page considering it’s been out for a bit.

Third show is called the world beyond and is a two season limited series, It could also tie in to the rick grimes movies.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.