main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I thought exactly the same thing watching that. Funny thing is though, I went and looked it up, and they do have at least one stocked quarry lake in GA. The more you know.?

Also, last night it got real.

2. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    This show is lame. The acting is meh and there's not nearly enough violence that one would expect in a zombie show and some stuff just doesn't make sense like:

They had to perform a military position setup to get a bag in the middle of the street, yet some gang members can drive a 6-4 and perform a kidnapping in elementary style fashion without a care.

The only cool thing about this show is the guy who beats up wife beaters, cleans fishes, arrests people to trees in a "you're in a timeout" manner, and kills zombies. His testicles could be used as wrecking balls.

-b

3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure this series/comic uses traditional Romero Zombie rules where everyone who dies (whether bit by a zombie or not) becomes one of the walking dead. Given those circumstances, I'd say it makes sense for the zombies to spread pretty damned fast.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I wasn't a fan of last nights episode until the last 15 minutes or so. The whole "Vatos" gang thing seemed lame and the twist at the end (Awww, the thugs are taking care of old people) didn't help. It's probably not a coincidence that this subplot was never in the comic. It could be my own personal bias against the non-comic elements though. I'm trying to get over that and view the show as it's own entity but it's hard because the comic is so good.
    The attack on the camp though was awesome. The abusive husband got what he deserved (again) and Amy met her fate. It was really everything I've wanted out of this show ever since I first heard it was being adapted for TV.

5. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    It's probably not a coincidence that this subplot was never in the comic. It could be my own personal bias against the non-comic elements though.

Yeah, but in this case I think the creator of the comic definitely approves. Robert Kirkman wrote that episode.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Last weeks episode was pretty slow, but last nights definitely brought it back up to par with the first two.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It's been OK so far. It's much better than 95% of direct to DVD zombie movies out there.

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Kirkman approves of everything about the show. :p

9. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Great episode. But I was just waiting for the dead sister to reanimate, and it seemed a bit odd that didn't happen.

I actually have enjoyed the relatively slower pacing of the show that what you're used to in a zombie movie, and that you can get lulled into a false sense of security. The show isn't about zombies, it is about the survivors, and you can't survive very long if you spend every waking moment in zombie battle. Seeing some random person get bit doesn't nearly have the agony of watching somebody the writers have bothered to make you care about.

I don't really want to be spoiled, but with this type of zombie the complete lack of any military whatsoever doesn't seem believable. I'm just going to assume we just haven't run into them yet. Not saying they should be in control, but at least pockets would exist.

Also I do hope they travel out of GA eventually.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, if a few guys with shotguns... and a group led by a custodian and nurse... can fend off the zombies, I have trouble believing that a not-insignificant portion of better-armed, better-trained military wouldn't survive.

Then again, I was kind of confused when the pilot clearly depicted that the military contingent in/near Atlanta knew exactly what was going on and how to stop them, yet was still somehow defeated.

11. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    What confuses me is that they go to pains to show that there's a complete lack of any government, yet all the roads are perfectly clear.

Scummy

12. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Hmmmm... It never once occurred to me to apply standard logic to a TV show about zombies. Serves me right for hating comic books like I do.

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    No they're not. Remember the highway leaving Atlanta was gridlocked with abandoned cars. As for why other roads are drivable well, there can't be any debris if there's no humans around to create it.

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I think I missed the bit where the pilot established the military knew what it was doing...

Its a common trope that initially humanity is unprepared for the onslaught of the zombie apocalypse. I would guess that the military would be the front-line during the early hours when no one knows what to expect and being so unprepared are quickly swarmed and killed. The Zombie Survival guide, while somewhat unrelated, speaks at length about how usual military tactics of wounding and body hit kills are largely ineffective against creatures that are only killed via headshots. So fire, explosives, automatic weapons, even shot-guns become far less effective because they are designed to incapacitate the enemy through pain and dismemberment. Doesn't work against creatures that don't feel pain and don't stop because they've lost a limb. All in all the military would be ineffective and quickly dispatched.

Most of the survivors, though not classically trained in combat, seem to all have had a bit of fortune escaping the initial outbreak, and having learned from the mistakes of others continue to evade becoming a tasty, meaty snack.

However, this franchise has always made it clear that no one is ever safe, no one has script immunity and for most characters its just a matter of time.

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Plus, it only takes one infected person who's hiding a bite to cause chaos behind the military ranks. And if everyone in the South eastern US is heading to Atlanta there will be whole lot more than one person hiding a bite mark. Especially if they think the CDC has a cure there. Those people turn and start attacking the other refugees and it all falls apart very quickly. It's not hard to imagine.

16. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    12 or so zombies got passed the perimeter without making a sound? Time to step up the action or plot a little more.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, the survivors having a jolly time frying fish and not keeping a constant watch on the perimeter was the only thing that really bugged me about this last episode. still great overall.

18. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    "you got some ****s for a chinaman"

19. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    I don't mind it when comic adaptions stray away from the source material, but AMC is veering heavily away from the source material from day one which is a bit off-putting. Though considering Kirkman wrote the last episode, which was completely unrelated to the comic, I'm guessing the changes are creator approved. I'm definitely liking what I've seen so far.

After three or four weeks of not seeing any zombies I guess I can understand them being lazy, especially if they thought they could rely on those stupid perimeter ropes which had the jingly stuff on them. Point is, I don't think they'll make the same mistake again. :p

Scummy

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ah, but they'd seen their first zombie there chewing on a deer like a day or two before (or even earlier that day?). and it was apparently inside the perimeter. that was why it bugged me so much.

21. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I think its straying from the source material because there are enough stories to tell in a zombie apocalypse that they don't have to poach every plot development from the comics. If you want the story from the comics, read the comics.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm doing that right now. I'm about 20 issues in and the comic is totally worth the read.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I gave up and read all the comics on Thanksgiving. ALL OF THEM I TELL YOU.

I'm only slightly concerned about them straying from the source because the character entrances/exits are somewhat important. Which I've noticed a difference in already. As in someone who should be dead by now is not. And that makes me worry about someone else who has survived all the comics so far, because I really don't want them to get killed off in the show instead.

As far as this episode goes, I didn't really care for it. The acting was kind of poor with may have been the fault of the slow storyline in this one. But usually there's an episode or two in every tv show that's like that, so I'm not really worried.

24. Scummy

Aug 4, 2008
    So far I've been a bit off-put by deviations from the story, but haven't really considered it a big deal. Kirkman is fine with it so why shouldn't I be? But how does everyone feel about last episode introducing that scientist and his lab? I don't think it really counts as a 'spoiler' but better safe than sorry. I'll wait to see how it pans out, but I was kind of surprised to see that introduction to say the least.

Scummy

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It doesn't seem plausible that he'd be all alone. One guy would have a hard time working by himself (as we saw) and the loneliness would be killer. Hopefully that will be explained satisfactorily. Did every other scientist leave to help their families?