main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Way -- Imperial TIE Pilots, OCs, OT, complete 6/17 (extras 6/24)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thumper09, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    DWH: Sorry for inducing insomnia. ;) Honestly I'm flattered that the story made you want to keep reading, especially because I know it's pretty long. I'll put you on the list for the couple remaining PM updates. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Idri: Very true--that's not a particularly good gift Chase is giving the Rebs. But as with all gifts, it's the thought that counts, right? :p

I could have sworn I found the name "Lataise" in a baby names book I was using at the time I created some of the core characters. I coulda sworn! But I can't find it in that book now, so that means one of three things happened: 1) I made up the name completely; 2) I modified a name in that book to the point where I don't recognize the original entry; 3) I lost my mind. In any event, thanks, I'm glad you like her name. :)

Chase worked with CodeBlue again after that meeting to set up the secure account, but unfortunately CodeBlue demanded too much money for another guest appearance here (his agent cited "skyrocketing popularity and sharply increased demand for his valuable time" as the reasons for the fee increase) and we won't be seeing him in this story anymore. Thanks for reading and replying!

Trika: CodeBlue had to get in there one more time, heh heh. And of course it sounds all good and noble--Chase is an officer in good standing with the Imperial Navy, after all! ;) :p

"Awesomesauce"? LOL, that word amuses me to no end. :D Thanks so much for the compliments. It's hard for me to see the forest for the trees sometimes with my writing, and it helps a lot to find out that the forest is still looking okay. Thanks for replying and reading!

------

Before we go ahead and wrap this up with this short post, I'd like to mention two things.

First, even though the story itself is now completed, there will be a post next week containing some odds and ends about the story and hopefully a couple of outtakes just for fun. That will be my last PM update for this story. Pop in if you'd like to.

Second but most importantly, I'd like to thank everyone who came on this wild and crazy ride with me. It was a blast having you all to share this story with, and I sincerely appreciate all the time and effort you spent reading and joining in and also helping me along. Even though I had most of the story written before I started posting it, I ended up adding and changing some events in the second half of the story based on your inputs and the thoughts you guys put into my head, and the story itself is much, much better for it. So thank you. Y'all are the best!

------

Chapter Fourteen

"See? Isn't she amazing?" Chase Barton said proudly. It was his first day back, and he had been systematically tracking down each Fireburner as they filtered into the briefing room. Lieutenant Panas was his latest victim, and Chase was holding one of dozens of holos of his three-week-old daughter, Cayin, right in front of him so he could see it. "She's got her mother's eyes and my nose. She's strong, too. She's going to grow up to be a fighter, but she looks so adorable sleeping in her little hat, doesn't she? She's perfect." His life had changed forever, and he couldn't be happier.

Panas nodded in agreement with the words and then grinned at Chase. "She's beautiful. Congratulations to you and Lataise. How's your wife doing?"

"She's fine, just a little worn out," Chase replied. "It helped out a lot that I was able to take paternity leave these last few weeks to stay home with her."

"I'm surprised you made it back in today after that. I figured you'd try to take more time off to be home."

"Well, I would have, except the in-laws arrived a couple days ago to help out too." Chase shrugged.

"Ah." Panas smirked knowingly. "Coming back to work didn't sound so bad then, did it?"

"It's not that bad. The house is getting a little small, but Lataise is happy they're here."

"That sounded really co

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! [face_love]

Awwwwwwwwwwww! [face_love]

Awwww.... okay, I'll stop now. :p Cayin is adorable. Lovely name too. ;)

Chase kept his hands folded together over most of his face to hide the huge smile he couldn't wipe from his expression. It was an enormous effort to sound even mostly neutral and natural. "Nothing. Nothing's wrong."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Well, Thumper, it's been an awesome, thrilling ride. I love this fic and I love the ending -- very fitting (sucks that we don't get to see CodeBlue again :p ). Wonderful job -- I enjoyed every moment! :D

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    LOL. And so Chase gets away with it! He's still a mess, but ah! I wouldn't have wanted this ending any other way! :p

Super job, Thumper. I've already mentioned to you how much I love your work, and I'm just super happy that I happened to click on the link in your signature that day! What a ride! I'm interested in your outtakes in your next post, and of course, anything else you happen to pen in the future, keep me in mind for a PM. I'll be there in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the adventure! You've got a serious fan here! :D

Trika

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    W00t! :eek:
    =D=
    Great penultimate chapter. =D=
    Loved th lightheartedness of the beginning. Chase is still such a nice guy - somewhere. And his plans are sound. Good for him to have found such a trustworthy hacker...

Lataise would kill him if she ever found out Chase had been subtly encouraging Cayin to be nocturnal.

Chase![face_shame_on_you]
    Once you start manipulating people you never stop, huh?:p
    But he's such a proud daddy.[face_love]

So it worked!
    Darn it, Chase you did it. But what a b-word you were to achieve it.
    Not sure whether to be happy or not.8-}

5. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Idri: LOL, thanks! "Cayin" is modified from the name "Kayin", which means "long-awaited child" and fits the Bartons' situation. It seems like the type of name they would pick.

With all the money he just got from making Chase's program, CodeBlue is now able to pay off his debts and leave Etti IV if he so desires. I imagine he'll pop up somewhere else now with no debts hanging over his head to restrain him, LOL. Thanks so much for commenting and reading!

Trika: Yeah, I don't think Chase will ever truly recover from being such a mess. On the one hand, he accomplished his goal so he doesn't need (in his mind) to continue being like that, but on the other hand he also knows now that he's capable of doing some pretty nasty things and getting away with it. I'm not sure what that knowledge will do to him in the long run.

No problem, I can PM you with any new stories. :) One of the things I want to do down the road is write about the effects of Chase's virus from a Rebel pilot POV. Someday...

Thanks again for everything, and also for reading and replying!

MsLanna: All the money CodeBlue got out of the deal certainly helped his trustworthiness level. ;)

Once you start manipulating people you never stop, huh?

LOL! You know, I never even thought about that, but it totally fits. ;)

Yeah, he's completely wrapped around Cayin's finger, but he wouldn't want it any other way. Not knowing whether to be happy at Chase's success or not is one of the things I was aiming for here, so I'm very glad to read that. :D Thanks for replying and reading!

----------

As many of you know, the FanFic Awards season is upon us. This story is qualified for Best Drama and also Best OC, Male (Chase) in the Saga era. It totally blew me away to see the nominations, not to mention getting qualified, so thanks to all those who nominated it! [:D] If anyone has any suggestions for where I should take the excerpts from for either of these categories, please PM me. I'll welcome any and all help and ideas.

And now here's my miscellaneous wrap-up post with "special bonus features." :p

-------------

The Way Bonus Features

Concept Artwork

I did a quick sketch (well, quick for me) of Chase on the landing rack with his TIE and posted it here. I thought monochromatic colors would be good for inking, but I quickly learned that black on black on black is currently beyond my ability level with ink. :p Plus I couldn't get the facial likeness down well from the reference picture I used, but that's always been hard for me, especially when the drawing is as small as it is. The sketch has some noticeable problems, but maybe I'll redo it down the road when I've learned more about inking.

My Fireburner Squadron emblem concept started out really well in my head but then didn't translate into Photoshop like I'd hoped it would, so... nothing on that front now.

----------------

Outtakes

One of my favorite special features on DVDs are outtakes and blooper reels: actors improvising and joking around, mishaps on the set, etc. Sometimes I can picture something similar happening with my characters over the course of a story, especially when the characters get out of control. These are just weird, goofy little things I've imagined while trying to picture a scene and are meant for nothing more than amusement purposes. Most are not in-character for the specific situation or would otherwise have been detrimental, which is why they're not in the real story.

I admit I had the most fun with the one from Chapter Fourteen.

Chapter One

Leaving Craci IV for their combat tour

The small base was a flurry of activity the next morning. Landspeeders loaded down with people and crates wound through the crowds of personnel and droids on foot. Some people were riding the native Cracian thumper workbeasts through the activity more quickly than landspeeders coul

6. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Wow, Thumper! Well done! I really like that picture, too... I didn't know that you drew stuff! This is all a wonderful journey through your experience in Chase's tale, and going through the bits and pieces again was wonderful. Again, let me know whenever you're writing anything new, and, of course, remember the call of the Talons. [face_mischief] Thank you for this amazing journey!

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Awww, brilliant little extras, Thumper! I loved the blooper reel. :eek: And the PM updates are priceless. :D

Thanks for the birthday wishes! [:D]

8. bobafett15

bobafett15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2008
    Excalent! Really like stuff about the Imperial Navy. That whole thing with the "Ijoined to fight Rebel's, not baby sit some wimpy planet" was reallygood. U join the Military to kill people and break things, not much else. LoL. Can't wait for more.

9. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Trika: Well, I try to draw stuff. My success rate varies, LOL. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed this, and thanks for the comments! I've made progress with the Talons, and you'll be seeing a post from me on that very soon. :D

Idri: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed them. :D

bobafett15: Thanks for the compliments. :) I know a few people who joined the military for other reasons. ;) Unfortunately, the story is complete so there won't be any more coming. Thanks for reading and replying!

-Thumper

10. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    "Yes, you are. You're acting all weird, especially...well, especially yesterday. This evening was less weird but still weird. What's going on?"

"You're so wonderfully articulate, you know that?"

[face_laugh]

It really strikes me how this fic gets into all the effects of Chase?s actions, particularly his relationships with Lataise and Radek. For every decision he makes, there?s a consequence. ;)

Radek's smirk got bigger. "We're fine. No one gets near me when I drive my speeder this way because they try to avoid me and give me lots of room. It's actually safer."

Chase made a mental note to never allow Radek to drive his child anywhere. He'd already been crossed off the babysitting list long ago.

1) Great philosophy. 2) [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Cool special features. :D The update PMs were great throughout.

Brilliant finish to a wonderful fic! I?ve loved reading this. It may not have taken Chase all the way to villainhood, but it certainly added loads of gray morality and deep questions to his existence. It always bugs me when you see a character (usually a Jedi) turn to the ?Dark Side? in mere moments, and turn back around just as quickly. It?s not an on-off switch; it?s a series of bad decisions building on bad decisions. And this fic did a great job following the dominos as they send Chase down a different path, and how he resists them (and doesn?t) once he?s gotten them going. I don?t know if I?m making sense, but that?s what it seemed like to me. :p

Again, awesome work! =D==D= I?d love it if you PMed me when you start another story.

11. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Decision.

Consequence.

;)

I enjoy exploring character interactions, and Lataise and Radek seemed like the two who would be the most likely to notice that Chase was off-kilter (and also the two most likely to cause problems for him as a result :p). I would've liked to go deeper into the interactions with his other squadmates, but the story was getting too long for that.

What you said about the turn to the "Dark Side" makes sense to me, and I agree with everything you wrote. :) In my mind, large personality or morality shifts in characters (for good or for bad) can be sort of like an avalanche that gets started with a couple pebbles hitting a couple more pebbles until half the hillside is falling and nothing is going to stop it. ("The avalanche has already started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote." -Kosh, Babylon 5. Kosh rocks. :p) Going the reverse direction should usually require something comparable to get it started as well. My own best friend and worst enemy is my own momentum. I'm very happy to hear that the domino effect worked in this fic. :D The OC Project? helped a lot with trying to figure out how to set up those dominos and have them fall.

Thanks for the compliments, the review, and reading, Face! I don't have a spiffy MJS-dubbed name for an any-story-PM-list, but you'll be on it just the same. ;)

-Thumper

12. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    Ok, so I know I'm way late and all, but I was lurking this story during the summer and then Darth Real Life got in the way (no pun intended) and prevented me from finishing it - which I knew I had to - until just now.

Great story =D=

Of course, some of us are dissappointed that Chase didn't get arrested [face_devil]

All the same, as one who studies the topic professionally, I have to say that you succeeded very well with portraying what can happen to individuals who serve dictatorships even when they start out with the best of intentions.

After all, even if the ending was a "happy" one, the relationship between him and Adilink remains locked into a perpetrator-victim one, which must do nasty things to even Chase's psyche in the long run.

'Nuf ramblings, I'll be looking out to more from this author for sure!
    [face_coffee]

13. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks for the reply, Danaan!

Considering the nature of the project this story was written for, I'm glad to hear there are mixed reactions from readers on whether or not Chase should have gotten away with what he did. :)

And you're right, I think everything affected Chase on a deeper level than he probably realizes, and he has definitely changed (in the long-term as well) for having done what he did.

Thanks for reading! :D

-Thumper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.