main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Weather thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FatBurt, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The whole COUNTRY is expecting LOADS over the next couple of days.

Due to it being British forecasters putting this forwards I shall be coming to work in shorts tomorrow and will expect a heatwave.

or not.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    We never get snow where I am right now anyway. The Cheltenham and Gloucester area is one of the least likely places in the country to see snowfall.

I think there's like, a forcefield over the area or something.

3. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    You're not alone, there's a forcefield here too. The IOW never gets snow. Even when Southampton gets it, which is only some 10 miles away (rough guess), we get rain over here!

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    At this point it looks as though regions south of the M4 will only see a little snow before it turns to rain and it'll be quite wet tomorrow morning. North of the M4 to say Oxford will see several hours of snow before it turns to sleet and dies out in the afternoon. North of Oxford up to about Buxton it could be snowing during the enire day tomorrow, with up to 15cm (6inches) possible. Most of Wales will see heavy snow for much of the day, and the snow *could* get as far north as Manchester by the afternoon, by which time it'll be fizzling.

Expect a very severe frost on Thursday night, with widespread frost bringing even more travel misery on Friday morning.

A question mark over Saturday for Northern England and Scotland, where more heavy snow is possible, but it'll be rain and turning milder in the south, most likely.

All of this is suject to change over the next few hours.

5. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    So......very......cold.......

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My cat is curled up in front of a small heater that I have in the den. I think that she'd get on top of it if she could. (I'd get on top of it if I could!) It would be a nice day for a walk if it wasn't so cold since there are only a few clouds in the sky.

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Two facts about snow fall in England.

1) It causes unrivaled transport distruption on the roads, airports and rail system. My town comes gridlocked after getting less than an inch of snow, and is populated by extremely bad drivers who have no clue how to cope with the smallest degree of snowfall.

2) Absolutely everyone denies that they have a problem driving in the snow and blames everyone else. (come on folks, it has to be some of you, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem.)

Coming from the north of Scotland you have to deal with heavy snow frequently, and it honestly isn't a big deal at all. When I lived in north america they have snowfalls that beat Scotland's hands down, but again they have limited disruption unless they have a major, major blizzard (The Day After Tomorrow style)

So, for tomorrow, just be NORMAL, and stop acting like you've suddenly woken up in the artic circle. If everyone acts NORMAL then there will be no problems, but as soon as a few numpties go crazy then the system falls apart.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Malks is right.

I see the same inability to drive in Manchester when the rain gets a bit heavy.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The risk of snowfall in the south-east has increased this afternoon. London may see its heaviest snowfall since the big freeze of Feb 1991.

I agree with Malkie that problems mainly occur with people who don't know how to cope with driving in snowey conditions, but to be fair, much of lowland England has been without a major, prolonged snowfall since 1991. Thats 16 years, so theres basically an entire generation of English people who have no idea how to cope with a big covering of snow.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I hope this snow won't delay all the trains, I do hate waiting in the cold while they cancel everything.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Should I stock up on canned goods?

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think it'll be that bad mate. :)

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What? No panicked shopping frenzy to strip the closest store of toilet paper and beer? I mean, you might run out if you are snowed in for a day! :) (Been there - been through a few hurricanes in the USA).

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It may be more than one day. Theres an increasing question mark about Friday night and Saturday, even in the south, now. ;)

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    If I have to shovel my way out of the front door tomorrow, I will. I'm prepared. I will not be defeated by this snowy nemesis.

WE WILL SURVIVE!!!

17. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    I'm freezing here and the dog has stole all the space near the fire

18. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Bad driving is caused by people who panic at the first sign of snow...like one of the women I work with...Let's put it this way...If it snows tomorrow, she isn't coming in to work. She doesn't drive on the motorway, and if she has to drive more than 5 miles, she won't do it. She is also over 50, and only passed her test two years ago.

I'm sorry, but people like this don't DESERVE to have a license. She will be the kind of driver who will panic, and cause an accident.

Malkie is right...that hurt to say. People should just drive as they normally do. Driving in snow is just like driving in the rain...The problem is when that snow melt, turns to slush, which in turn, turns into ice. Driving on ice is dangerous, granted, but snow...no problem.

Of course, this all wouldn't be a problem if the local governments actually knew what they were doing and were prepared for it...an ability the English have yet to master.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its going to be really interesting to see how people, local council agencys, public transport systems, etc... Cope tomorrow. Since our last major snow/cold spell in 1991 we've had very little in the way of snow in this country. The last winter that verified colder than average was 95/96 and since then every winter (including this one it has to be said) has verified milder than average. 95/96 wasn't very snowey for much of southern England, though. Who remembers the completely snowless winters of the late 90's?
    In the last few years, really starting in 2003, we've been very gradually trending towards more and more snowfall. February in particular bas become colder and more snowey lately. Even so, we still haven't really seen a prolonged spell of heavy snow over a wide area.
    Even if you believe in global warming (which I do) it seems inevitable that at some point in the near future we'll have a proper cold and snowey winter, on a par with those of the late 70's and 80's, at least. So, tomorrows weather should be viewed as a warning of what could happen on a much larger scale, if that kind of weather happened on a regular basis throughout a three or four month period. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully people will deal with it well and the roads and rail networks won't grind to a halt. ;)

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The very latest is for the snow band to stop across Wales, the Midlands and East Anglia. Northern England and possibly the North Midlands and North Wales could miss out. Heaviest snow tomorrow probably around East Wales and the West Midlands, maybe lighter stuff in the East Midlands (where I am, LOL) and heavier stuff again fro East Anglia and down into the South-East (inlcuding London) South of the M4 looks milder, with thunder possible for the far S/W.

This is highly speculative though, and even this late in the day, there could be some big surprise's for some. This one will keep us guessing right down to the wire. [face_worried]

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    To be honest, sitting at my computer here in dreary Gloucester, I'd love to have a good covering of snow.

But time has taught me to never hope for that outcome, as it can all fall apart at the last minute.

So... as of right now... sitting infront of my computer here in dreary Gloucester... I'm assuming it's all gonna fizzle out and rain will supplant snow.

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think you'll get some, probably quite a bit, but the mild air will get in I think, tomorrow afternoon. Snow should be with you in about three hours, I would have thought.

23. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    The weather front is only an hour or two away from the IOW now judging by the radars. The fact it doesn't feel cold enough for snow out there confirms what I knew would happen - we're gonna get rain as usual! Still, it's worth checking to see what's falling when it arrives I suppose

24. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Well, no rain...

...Hell of a lot of snow though!!!! [face_dancing]

My school is closed today, so is my EVERYTHING in my area lol We've got about 7 inches here. Ill upload some pics later.

25. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Interesting after making a post there was a flurry (pun intended) of activity from those of you who fall into number (2) above.

So this morning was amusing. I live on a nice street, with some very nice property, and some very nice cars. Typically speaking a nice car (Merc / BMW etc) are RWD, meaning that in the snow they are harder to drive properly compared to their FWD brothers (weight at the front, but power at the back is difficult in snow). The result was that these idiots insisted on driving up my street wheel spinning in 1st gear, polishing the several inches of snow into a beautiful ice rink.

When will you people learn?

It's very, very simple. When you want to go forward put your car into second gear, and use clutch control to limit the power going to your wheels to prevent wheel spinning and maintaining grip. This is achieved in an automatic be selecting 2nd, and not putting your foot on the accelerator. The mechanism in an auto which prevents you rolling back (ie an automatic clutch), will distribute just enough power to pull you forward without you putting your foot down.

Then everyone will gently drive over the snow and not make it increasing difficult for drivers behind them.

It was heart warming to see the fellow inhabitants of my street helping each up by pushing their cars up the street to the main road. Although I did chuckle when I pulled my car out of the driveway and they gathered round to assist, only to watch me drive safety up the street without a single spinning wheel.

So, people of England.........please learn to drive in bad weather!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.