main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Weekly Discussion of Military Technology

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr44, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What's so special about it? Adding a pusher propeller isn't some sort of radical technology...if it's such a nice feature, why wasn't it done decades ago?

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The problem probably rested in the used of one rotor atop another working correctly. A tail rotor's purpose is to keep the helicopter from simply flying in a circle. With one rotor atop another, I assume, that issue is fixed so a pusher tail rotor can replace the usual tail rotor.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Well, contra-rotating propellers aren't new either. It seems like they could have built compound helicopters like this for the military or the civilian market long ago, but instead stuck with the conventional configuration. The army says it wants a helicopter with more speed and range, but the fact that they didn't go for this sort of design in the past probably means there's some sort of trade-off that has to be made, right?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Frikkin laserbeams

They're not going for shark mounted blasters but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Sarge likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Interesting. I never did the KC-130, just trash-haulers, but the numbers line up with what I know.

Also, I've heard stories about 130 crews supplying fuel to frontline combat airfields in Vietnam by rolling fuel-filled bladders out the back, occasionally doing that under fire. That's some serious cajones; my hat is off to those guys.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So apparently while I wasn't paying attention, the Navy selected its new frigate, and the Air Force selected its new trainer, and they both have names now.

Maybe I'm just being an armchair general here, but I don't see the point of the new frigate. Supposedly the Navy wants a more affordable ship to "establish presence" and carry out missions that don't warrant a larger destroyer. But most of the cost of a warship is in its electronic systems, and the new frigate looks like it just has all the same systems as an Arleigh Burke just on a slightly smaller hull, which I think defeats the purpose. If anything I think they should've deleted the Aegis and gone for a dedicated anti-surface and anti-submarine ship...with the Aegis it's suddenly a "high-value asset" that's too valuable to put in harm's way.

As for the Air Force's new trainer, well I don't know any of the technical specifics, but I'm inclined to think they should've gone for an off-the-shelf aircraft rather than building one from scratch.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The last few years have really been a free-for-all for new equipment, besides when trump would get confused at new technology.

Re: the frigates. The Navy really kinda struggled to find a particular mission and equipment set for the LCS, whereas frigates just kinda make sense for a service that’s been using frigates for forever.
    As for Aegis making it too valuable to put in harms’ way-not how the US military has ever operated. Our response to insurgents with cell phone detonated roadside bombs was 30-ton, 50-grand trucks :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I heard the LCS program was horribly mismanaged, but its overall mission seemed to make sense. I always heard the Navy needed to deal with mines and diesel electric submarines and small attack boats...all in shallow waters where you wouldn't want to risk a DDG. Well, the LCS comes along and, at least in theory, was supposed to do all that right?

As for "not how the US military has ever operated" well, I think that's just going to have to change. We spend thousands of dollars per aircraft sortie and wear down the flight-hours on our expensive fighter aircraft just to bomb a bunch of insurgents, when we probably should have procured some light turboprop aircraft for the job. Osama bin Laden said he was going to "bleed America dry" in the Middle East...he's dead now, but it looks like he's gotten the last laugh.

DarthBoba likes this.
  12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Interesting. I went googling about the Swedish Infantry Fighting Vehicle and came across this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Vehicle_90

In April 2015, BAE Systems fitted a CV90 with an active damping suspension system derived from Formula One racing cars. This technology calculates the vehicle's speed and anticipates the terrain ahead, then pressurizes the suspension at independent points to lift the chassis and keep the vehicle level. The suspension, which had been modified to suit a 38-ton armored vehicle rather than the 700 kg (1,500 lb) racing car, reportedly increases speed by 30-40 percent on rough terrain, outrunning main battle tanks, decreases vehicle pitch acceleration by 40 percent, gives greater maneuverability and stability for on-the-move gunnery, and reduces crew fatigue and life-cycle costs.[13]

That’s a pretty great idea, especially the greater speed and stability for firing while moving.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    about the LCS-I think it’s important to remember that it started life in the 1990s, when it was looking more and more like the littorals were going to be the prime place of combat. (It wasn’t just the LCS that grew out of this-the Marines really changed their amphibious warfare doctrine because of this, and the Virginia-class subs were designed with littoral combat as well).

But then along came China’s Island Chain and area-denial doctrine that attempts to keep the US Navy at least a thousand miles out to sea, and well-where’s the place for a littoral-combat vessel with fairly limited range in that?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    True, but if what we need are more DDG's, then just buy more DDG's. The frigate looks to me like it's just a smaller version of the same thing, which probably doesn't save much money.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    well, we are buying more DDGs, though:

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/P...destroyer-flight-iii-progressing-on-schedule/

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    DarthBoba and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess there's no way to avoid getting political about this, but I don't see what reason there is for having a "Space Force" as a separate military branch. Whatever functions needed to be carried out in space were already being done by the Air Force. It very much looks to me like just a political stunt by the Trump administration.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Ehh. You could’ve said that about the Army Air Force in WW2 and not been wrong.

The thing is, though-just like the Air Force in WW2 no longer being a compliment to ground operations it’s gotten pretty clear that space operations aren’t a compliment to just air operations anymore, they’re a critical part of war that has much broader application to the military as a whole. You could probably justify GPS alone being it’s own service, the military literally can’t operate as they do without that.

20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So what happens in space if we get into a shooting war with Russia or China? They shoot down all our satellites, and we do they same to them? I imagine we probably have a lot more satellite infrastructure up there, so they probably have an incentive to do this even if it pollutes the orbits with space debris for the next century.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Ugh, Dunkin Donuts but I don't do coffee anymore.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    USAF reveals plans to update B-52 for service until 2370 or later:

[​IMG]

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Any idea when it’s projected the airframes will actually no longer be safe to fly? I’d bet that winds up being the real retirement date.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Speaking of airframes no longer safe to fly....those WWII-era warbirds. Sooner or later you've got to retire them, right? I've heard about several incidents of these old planes crashing, and well, better to send them off to a museum before they turn into flaming piles of debris and get people killed, right?