main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah definitely Barkley, with runners up to Larry Fitzgerald and Luis Gonzalez. I remember being surprised when I found out Barkley was originally a Sixer.

2. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    vin, heels1785 and LloydChristmas like this.
  4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    His best work is on Travel or Food Network.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

while ncaa football jumps out, this is..not easy. ea made a great baseball game, and 2k made a stunning nfl game. the fight night series was consistently high quality that pushed the limits of the last gen consoles.

the answer's still ncaa football, but the early 2000s was the golden age of sports gaming. i'd throw the ea tiger woods games on this list too, and they'd be near the top.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    MVP Baseball is the only one on the list I'd actually have interest in playing today (though, to be honest, most of my memories are the predecessor in the series, EA Sports' Triple Play Baseball)

But, my oh my, do I have fond memories of the NCAA series. One year in college, I think there was twelve of us and we each took one team (all from a different conference) and started dynasty mode together. This was before internet play, so each person had to come to my room, load their game, and play it. And we'd have to wait on everyone to play their week, etc. But man that was a blast.

And the NFL 2K series was so superior to Madden in every aspect, it was a travesty when the NFL license went exclusive.

But the real answer is Tecmo Bowl.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    for me the answer is the skate series. i think about it every day.

CT-867-5309 and heels1785 like this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    fret no longer, tom. skate 4 is in development for ps5/xbox series x.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh i know! but they said it was "some ways off" so i am in "i'll believe it when i see it" mode.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    For the non - gamers...

Which sports retirement you witnessed made you cry/want to cry?

Mine's a tie between Magic Johnson (for obvious reasons, especially at that time), and Peyton Manning, just because he himself was tearing up at the end.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    LeBron

I know it hasn't happened yet. But I know I'm going to cry.

LloydChristmas and dp4m like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    None that I am aware of, but I think Mo came closest...

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i'll be real sad when federer retires. he's never been "my" player, but i've also never rooted against him. respect his dominance and how he carries himself.

dp4m likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It'll certainly be the end of an era when Fed and Nadal retire.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    NFL 2K of the ones listed in the gaming question, NASCAR Thunder of the ones not on the list.

Retirements I’ll have to go with Joe Mauer, he said he still had to make the decision but when he put the catchers gear back on for one last pitch, everyone knew. The ceremony when they retired his number was also top notch. Never made it over the top with Joe but he was still the hometown kid who made it to the bigs as the best player on his hometown team.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't want NCAA Football coming back unless the players are getting a cut.

My pick is NFL 2k, the fact that they'd sim other games in franchise mode and have ESPN run the highlights from them...like wtf. That'd be cool now and it was fifteen years ago.

But give me a 2020 next-gen Backyard Baseball please.

Kurt Warner, randomly. That guy's a good dude.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really care that they're gone, as I don't play sports games anymore, but Triple Play and NFL Gameday.

I don't think I've ever gotten emotional over a retirement.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Vin Scully's last Dodger broadcast, particularly at the beginning when he mentions "It's time for Dodger baseball!"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You might want to check out the Super Mega Baseball series if you haven't already.

21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Dan Marino's, I was certain he'd get a Super Bowl win in his career and even though it was becoming more obvious that it wouldn't happen at the end of his career his official announcement made that a sure thing.

22. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    I've heard good things about that

But is Pablo Sanchez in it

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, there's nothing stopping you from making a character named "Pablo Sanchez" and giving him god stats, but he won't have that iconic music that harbingers death itself for the opposition, no.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    LloydChristmas likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005

My answer is Carli Lloyd. Who had a freaking hat trick in the final of the freaking World Cup.

And it was just kinda sorta ... yeah, that was cool. Abby, Rapinoe, Hope ... even Mewis and Lavelle get more coverage than her and more hype. It blows my mind.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I would think Adrian Beltre in MLB -- he just continually put up numbers, and will likely end up in the Hall of Fame (though closer than it likely should be) and all people know is he doesn't like people touching his head? Do people even remember he got 3000 hits and had a relatively decent shot at 500 homers?

DarthTunick likes this.