main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    [​IMG]

After he gassed out and submitted Conor McGregor.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

beloved, not just respected. i can't imagine that anyone is "universally" beloved, but i think federer would be my pick for the "modern" era.

looking back is a bit easier - hank aaron, gordie howe, bill russell, and jackie robinson come to mind.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Does the word "universally" limit us if they have to be beloved by racists? Asking for a lot of possible athletes that would knock out of consideration.

That said ...

I think I have to go with Roberto Clemente. Not only beloved for being an amazing ball player, but shrined in memories and tales told by being a great human being, and losing his life and career due to being such an incredible human being.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Clearly I’m biased here, but one can make a strong case for...

[​IMG] .

heels1785 likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I would think it would be this guy...
    [​IMG]

I think he became more popular after his boxing career ended, because people forget or no longer care about his stance against the Vietnam War and his boisterous self promotion.

Sarge, DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    thanks dp, had no idea.

the way i read it, is = currently

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm American Indian so for me personally it is Jim Thorpe.

But Universally? Yeah Probably Ali is up there. Maybe Pele? Soccer/Football is pretty popular Worldwide

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

dp4m likes this.
  12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    What about Tiger Woods?

heels1785 likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    respected, but i don't think he's beloved so much anymore. ask @Guidman

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    For Filipinos, such as myself, Manny Pacquiao is pretty much universally beloved.

AFP declares ‘unofficial’ ceasefire for Pacquiao match

heels1785 likes this.
  15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I know Dale Jr is pretty universally loved among fans of American Auto racing and he keeps doing really cool stuff with historic tracks, I just don’t know if that’s really mainstream enough for our purposes here.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    heels1785 likes this.
  16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    No chance. He's made some inroads again the past few years but 2009 was a pretty crushing blow to his reputation. For golf, Palmer would probably be at the top.

I'd have to go with Shaq for this one.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd imagine Bird and Magic are probably pretty universally loved?

DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    You know I got my boy Shaq's back on this, even if he can be prickly sometimes.

But Babe Ruth is basically revered as a mythological character at this point.

Sarge, DarthIntegral, dp4m and 2 others like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Probably Gehrig as well, if only because he died before they could make him the villain?

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    when i was a kid the answer was probably pele or arnold palmer, but i don't know how much they've captured the younger generations. i guess i would say the same about ruth and gehrig and other people who have been mentioned. there was a time when it was almost definitely jordan, who was probably more responsible than anyone for making basketball a global sport, but i know people have cooled as it eventually became clear that he's not a very nice person.

kind of a homer pick but i would throw ichiro out there. don't think i've ever heard anyone say a bad word about him. and maybe usain bolt just for how captivating he was at his pinnacle.

DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, I'd agree with Ichiro and Bolt... :p

I think I've told my Bolt story before -- but we had a workshop in the UK during the 2012 Olympics and covered Canada, US, UK, Indian, and Chinese folks there and we all got way too drunk at the pub before dinner (and were late for our reservation) because no one wanted to leave before watching him run... like no one, regardless of nationality.

Sarge and tom like this.
  22. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Bird can be a bit prickly so there is that.

Magic is pretty much universally loved.

Charles Barkley is hilarious to me. The man has no filter and I love it.

I would have to agree about Clemente and Babe Ruth as others have posted.

Clementes Death at a young age while doing something to help people after a disaster overshadows how great a ball player he was.

Ruth at this point is a key stone of American Culture. He has moved from being a real figure to almost being s legendary figure like Paul Bunyan. I mean there are stories from world War to on Iwo Jima of American and Japanese troops shouting insults at each other and the American Marines are yelling insults about the Emperor and the only equivalent figure the Japanese soldiers could think of culturally was Babe Ruth.

Ruth died 4 decades before I was born but people where still talking about him and making movies about his life during my lifetime.

Sarge, DarthTunick and Rew like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think we can all agree who the three most beloved baseball people were:

Cap Anson, Ty Cobb, and Kenesaw Mountain Landis...

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The Williams sisters for Tennis, I can't believe I forgot about them. They are definitely world wide popular, Martina Navritilova back in her day as well.

I remember Martina being the top echelon.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh. Navratilova was on the receiving end of a lot of vicious misogynist, homophobic attacks throughout her playing career, and she was definitely the villain to Chrissy Evert. She was far from beloved, she was hated by many.

The Williams are also far from beloved, Serena in particular. Both have been on the receiving end of racist comments, and Serena's behavior has earned her some disfavor.

heels1785 likes this.