main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The West Wing] Let's Make A Bet (Sam/Ainsley, Josh, Donna, Charlie) Fic-gift for Briannakin

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mavjade , Jan 16, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: Let’s Make a Bet
    Author: mavjade
    Fandom: The West Wing
    Characters: Sam/Ainsley, Josh/Donna, Charlie
    Timeline: 1st year in the Seaborn Administration
    Notes: Bri and I did our own little fic-gift exchange because we both wanted TWW stories. I tried to stick to what I know of her head canon as to what happens post show.

This is a little preposterous, but once it got in my head, it wouldn’t let go. I hope you enjoy, Bri!

1. A first lady ROYALLY PISSED OFF at the president (it can be any president/first lady you want: Bartlet/Abbey, Santos/Helen, or Seaborn/OC).

2. someone throwing a Christmas orange at someone else

3. a reference to or the appearance of a t-shirt that says "I'm with stupid"

I DON'T want a sad ending

Characters I want: Josh and Sam and anyone else you see fit.

Character I don't want: Ummmm. IDK. Mandy?

~*~*~

“Samuel Seaborn!” yelled Ainsley from the bathroom.

Sam stopped just inside the double doors that lead into their bedroom in the east wing of the White House and looked down at the Christmas orange in his hand. Josh and Charlie had been right, as usual. He contemplated walking back out and seeing if Secret Service would protect him from his own wife.

“Don’t even think about it,” she said as though she could read his thoughts. She had walked out of the bathroom in black pantyhose and a bra. Her hair was still up in a french twist, but her makeup was half off of her face. The wipe she was using to take off her makeup was in her hand. “What were you thinking?”

“Have I told you how lovely you looked tonight?” Sam asked.

Ainsley’s eyes narrowed, “Don’t change the subject.”

“You really did look beautiful. But can I just say that I think I like you better this way.”

“Nope, not gonna work.” She remained very still, something she only did when she was quite upset. Sam walked over to stand directly in front of her.

“Ains…”

“Don’t you ‘Ains’ me. I want to know what you were thinking! How could you believe that this was a good idea?”

Sam sighed, and tossed the orange with cloves stuck in its skin back and forth in his hands. He didn’t think it was a big deal. Clearly, his wife did. “It was just a silly thing.”

“For Josh, maybe. For you and Josh ten years ago, sure! But now? Now it’s a big deal,” Ainsley answered. She didn’t know why he couldn’t see how this could be a problem. He’d been in politics just as long as she had. Sure, he’d had his share of gaffes, but they’d been when he was lower in the ranks, not the President of the United States.

“We were just having some fun, letting the staff know they could be themselves around us.”

“It’s not the staff I’m worried about, it’s the American people. Why can you not see this?”

Sam set the orange down on the table beside him and cupped his hands around his wife’s face, “If it gets out, and that’s a big if, we’ll deal with it. But I think you aren’t giving the American people enough credit. I think they’d like it.”

“Well I guess it’s not really my concern if it does get out, I’m not a White House employee anymore and I’m not your communications director.”

“Exactly,” Sam agreed.

Ansley continued as though Sam hadn’t said anything, "But I want a bet.”

“A bet?”

“Yep. I bet you that it will get out inside a month.”

“Hmm…” Sam pondered for a moment. He started to point out the irony of being upset about one bet by adding another to the mix but decided it was better for him if he kept that to himself. “And just what are we betting?”

“If I win,” Ainsley said, “you have to order the mess to start carrying those cupcakes I love. Oh, and Fresca.”

“You know, we could just ask the chef to get them, right?”

“Yes, but this way you have to ask for it. And I want to get them from the mess when I'm over here.”

“Okay," Sam agreed. He thought he'd get off light if he won, but he wasn't going to pull his punches for his part of the bet. "And if I win, you can’t allow Josie to watch Fox News for a month. Deal?”

“Deal.”

~*~*~

A few hours earlier…

Almost the entire senior staff, and their significant others -for those that had them- were gathered in the Residence. The President had asked the staff to gather for a holiday celebration for the end of their first year in office. He was initially hesitant to hold a gathering as he had flashbacks to President Bartlet having chili night and all of the senior staff being so reluctant to go. They always had fun, but he remembered feeling as though they had no choice but to go. When the President asks, it always seems like an order. But he had been convinced by his wife to issue the invitation anyway. It was important to Sam that they were all friendly, even if he had to be somewhat removed from them all and this was a way to keep that friendly feeling.

Looking around it was practically the who’s who of the former Bartlet administration, with a few new faces scattered around. Some who had been a part of the President Bartlet's tenure were in new roles in this administration, but most played a more informal role than they had, and found themselves as advisors to the President with no particular role. There were also quite a few newer faces, young men, and women who were up and coming in the Democratic Party.

Most everyone was standing around in the informal sitting room, a fire was roaring in the fireplace, a Christmas tree lit with white lights in the corner. There were hors d'oeuvres spread out along a table at the side of the room, and almost everyone was standing around with a drink in their hand, trying to discuss anything but work.

“Mr. President,” Charlie Young, the White House Chief of Staff said as he walked up to Sam. “We’ve got a problem…”

“Charlie,” Sam interrupted him, “Is it something that is going to lead the U.S. to war in the next 24 hours?”

“Nooo,” Charlie said drawing out the 'o' as though he wasn't entirely certain.

“Is it something that is going to threaten the lives of Americans tonight?”

“No, sir,” he answered confidently.

“Is it something that can wait until tomorrow to deal with?”

“Well, I guess…”

“Then relax, enjoy the company of your wife who is sitting right there,” Sam said pointing at Zoey who was having a conversation with one of the youngest staffers and not paying any attention to her husband or the President. “I knew we shouldn’t have let Josh interview people way back when,” Sam continued. “His workaholic tendencies seem to rub off on people.”

“Hey!” came Josh’s voice from where he was slouched in a high back chair next to the fireplace. “Look at me, I’m the picture of retired from active politics. No two am phone calls, no all-nighters, no having to call another country and try to negotiate peace because someone said something stupid on the internet about them. I get to see my wife for whole hours of the day, it’s a great life.”

Donna, who was standing nearby talking to Ansley snorted, “Don’t let him fool you, he still yells at CSPAN every day.”

“I do not!” Josh whined.

“Josh,” Donna said, “I don’t think there is a single person here who believes you.”

Josh looked around the small room and noticed quite a few people nodding at what his wife had said. “I don’t! I… there are times I agree with what’s going on.”

“Yes, but you yell at the ones who aren’t voting the way you think they should,” the President interjected.

“That’s true,” Donna replied.

“Look at this, I’m being ganged up on. I’m just sitting here minding my own business and the President and my wife gang up on me. How is this my life?”

Donna walked over and sat on the arm of the chair, “You love it, and you know it. But worse… we all know it too.”

~*~*~

After the party had been in full swing for quite a bit of time, and everyone was well on their way to ‘a little drunk,' Sam decided it was time for him to say a few words. He wanted the group to know how much he appreciated them and to acknowledge their hard work.

“Everyone!” He said somewhat loudly. “Can I have your attention?” When people kept talking and didn't quite down, Sam laughed and smiled to himself. It reminded him of a time President Bartlet had them all look down at the seal in the middle of the Oval Office as a reminder of who they were talking to. He'd have to remember to pull that one sometime.

“Hey!” Charlie yelled, “Zip it!”

Everyone quieted down and turned toward the President. “Thanks, Charlie.”

Sam looked around the room trying to make eye contact with everyone present as he spoke. “I just want to thank you all for all for this past year. Some of you for your friendship and council, some of you” —he looked to his wife— “for putting up with me. But all of you for your dedication and hard work. I know things haven’t always been easy. We’ve had to compromise in ways we’d rather not, and we’ve had some failures. But, we’ve also done a lot of good.

“I know for some of you, this is the first time in this type of situation, and you really didn’t know what to expect, but you’re disappointed. Let those of us who have been here before tell you, we’re doing just fine. You are doing just fine. We’re making a difference, and we’ll continue to do so for the next three years. Well, hopefully, seven. Just keep doing your best, keep reminding yourself that you are making a difference. I know that’s hard to see sometimes, especially when you’ve been awake for days on end, but to the people, you are making a difference.”

As he was talking, Sam made his way over to where Josh had been standing. “Some of us” —Sam placed his hand on Josh’s shoulder— “have been in this business a long time. We know what you are going through, we know what you are giving up to be here. Please don’t ever think for a second that I don’t appreciate it. So thank you.

“But before you all sigh in relief that you can leave now, I have one more piece of business.”

“Oh no,” Charlie said. “Sir, I don’t know what’s about to happen, but do you think it’s wise?”

Everyone chuckled. Sam and Charlie had a great relationship. They would pick on each other and crack jokes, when it was appropriate. When they weren’t doing so, the staff all knew that something was going on and it was time to be serious.

Sam smirked, but didn’t address Charlie’s objection. “Josh and I met while debating the merits of capital punishment at the Adam’s Cup debate competition when we were in college. We didn't really become friends then, but from there we kept running into each other. By the time we were both interns on the Hill, it was clear we had similar life goals in mind. We made a bet…”

“Mr. President…” Josh tried to interrupt.

“A bet is a bet Josh,” Sam replied as he started to unbutton his shirt. “You have to understand that we were young and pretty stupid when this bet was made, but I follow through with things. That’s what I do.”

As he took off his dress shirt, it fully revealed the shirt he was wearing underneath. “Our bet was that if one of us ever made it to this office, we’d wear this shirt. I’m not entirely certain I remember why…”

People were openly laughing at the President of the United States who was grinning ear to ear, standing beside his best friend in an ‘I’m with stupid’ tee shirt.

“Don’t look at me,” Josh said, “I only remembered when you started talking about a bet. But it seems like something we’d think was funny when we’d had a little too much to drink.”

“And here I thought we were going to get a Presidential strip tease,” murmured one of the female staffers.

“Oh yeah,” said someone else.

“That would have been quite the Christmas present.”

Charlie did his best to give the women a look to get them to stop talking as their voices were carrying more than they apparently thought, but they were not looking in his direction. He picked up an orange that was sitting in a bowl beside him and threw it at the arm of the closest of the group.

“He may be old but— ow!” The staffer turned around to see an orange that had cloves sticking out of it to make it festive, laying on the floor. She looked up and saw her boss’ face that was clearly saying she’d stepped over the line. They allowed a certain amount of joking around, but there was a line you just didn’t cross.

“I think we should call it a night, Mister President,” Charlie said loud enough for everyone to hear. “Everyone still has to be here in the morning.”

“Very true,” Sam said. Charlie was clearly upset with his staff and he didn't want to further the issue by saying anything. “Thank you all again.”

~*~*~

Almost everyone had gone, and only Sam, Charlie, and Josh were left in the room together. Ainsley, Donna, and Zoey had gone off to talk about something out of earshot of the men.

“I can’t believe you did that,” Josh said. “It was funny, but…” he trailed off shaking his head. “I think you might be in trouble.”

“You’ve got that right,” Charlie said. “It’s a mess I’m going to have to clean up.”

“I meant with the First Lady,” Josh replied.

“Oh, yeah…” Charlie agreed. He picked up one of the Christmas oranges that were still in a bowl beside him. “Here, you might want to take this with you as protection.”

Sam put his hands on his knees and pushed himself to his feet, “I think you guys are overreacting, Ains will think it’s funny.”

“Ainsley your wife might think it’s funny, Ainsley the First Lady on the other hand, won’t.” Josh said. “How is it you haven’t learned this yet? It’s like political relationships 101.”

“It will be fine,” Sam defended, then thought about it a little further. “Right?”

Charlie held up the orange without a word. Sam took it and walked toward the exit of the room. “Take your wives and go home, I’m going to bed.”

“Goodnight Mister President,” Josh and Charlie said together.

Sam looked down at the orange, shook his head and continued the walk to his bedroom hoping his friends were just having a laugh at his expense.

“Goodnight.”

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    AHHHHHH!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

I love it so much! Thank you!!!!!!!

I love Sam and (angry) Ainsley! It just makes me so happy. Seeing Ainsley try to keep President Sam in line is what I imagine for what happened long after the show ended.

Thank you. I love the idea of Charlie as Sam's CoS. I agree that Josh served as Sam's Cos for a time but Charlie would be amazing in the position as well, as you have shown. Charlie was just the type to make the "trains run on time" so to speak, which he totally does here.

Hehehe. I think every one of our presidents have wondered this!

Oh gods! what did they do!

Cupcakes and Fresca! A woman after my own heart. Seriously, I love Fresca (it's like the only alternative to diet coke or water for diabetics). I totally got Ainsley's preference for Fresca.

[face_laugh] That is just adorable!

He was initially hesitant to hold a gathering as he had flashbacks to President Bartlet having chili night and all of the senior staff being so reluctant to go.

Oh, I loved that episode! I bet Sam would have flashbacks to that era

Oh just the flashbacks poor Charlie must have to dealing with Bartlet! I loved this exchange!

Oh, this is so true!

[face_laugh] BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Josh in retirement must be a handful! Poor, poor Donna!

HEHEHEHEHE! Sam pulling all of Bartlet’s old tricks. I just want a fic of this, now.

OH YES! YES! YES! Oh Sam’s and Josh’s antics from their earlier years are just amazing

I would have been okay with this too! =P~

Is this a reference to the baseball episode? IIRC, it was one of the few fun storylines of season 5. It cracks me up every time.

Charlie has probably saved two presidents’ butts from their wives more than once.

Also, I wonder who won the bet between Ainsley and Sam (I hope it was Aisnley!)

Seriously. I loved every part of this and it makes me want more Sam, Ainsley and Charlie. Thank you so much for entertaining me with this little exchange. I wish I had the time to quote the whole thing. Getting this fic and writing yours was an awesome start to this year.

mavjade likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, this story just made me ridiculously happy! I am loving the future TWW world you two are creating here, seriously - if we ever get a reboot series, Sorkin should know where to look. :p

I loved the tone of this - earnest and light-hearted, with just enough of that weighted edge of governing to play the emotional counterpoint. It was a great balancing act of moods, and I cracked more than one grin to see the cast be, well, so grown up, and not quite so grown up at the same time.

Some particulars that I liked:

He contemplated walking back out and seeing if Secret Service would protect him from his own wife.

[face_laugh][face_laugh] Oh, as soon as I saw Bri's request, I knew this was going to be good. Something tells me that every president since Washington has had a similar such thought during their time in office . . . :p :oops:

His resulting throw-down with Ainsley was wonderfully done - I can understand her ire in the face of preserving the dignity of the presidency, but I can't but help find Sam's confidence in the understanding of the American people endearing. He still has that same boyish earnestness that made him so lovable originally. Because that is going to get out; it's almost cute that he thinks that it won't. [face_mischief]

“Charlie,” Sam interrupted him, “Is it something that is going to lead the U.S. to war in the next 24 hours?”

“Nooo,” Charlie said drawing out the 'o' as though he wasn't entirely certain.

“Is it something that is going to threaten the lives of Americans tonight?”

“No, sir,” he answered confidently.

“Is it something that can wait until tomorrow to deal with?”

“Well, I guess…”

This was such a Bartlet moment on Sam's part. I loved it. And Charlie's just Charlie. [face_love]

"And here I thought we were going to get a Presidential strip tease," murmured one of the female staffers.

[face_laugh] I can't say I blame the ladies . . . [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

As he took off his dress shirt, it fully revealed the shirt he was wearing underneath. “Our bet was that if one of us ever made it to this office, we’d wear this shirt. I’m not entirely certain I remember why…”

[face_laugh] Oh, he didn't - I honestly laughed out loud at that. This entire segment was just priceless.

“I can’t believe you did that,” Josh said. “It was funny, but…” he trailed off shaking his head. “I think you might be in trouble.”

“You’ve got that right,” Charlie said. “It’s a mess I’m going to have to clean up.”

“I meant with the First Lady,” Josh replied.

Smart, smart Josh. Marriage has obvious sharpened his already considerable edge. :p

“Oh, yeah…” Charlie agreed. He picked up one of the Christmas oranges that were still in a bowl beside him. “Here, you might want to take this with you as protection.”

That's where the orange came from? (Although something tells me that Charlie is an expert at protecting presidents from their wives by now. ;)) Seriously, there could be no better way than to put the fic requirements from than this!

Once again, this was a thoroughly enjoyable piece, and I thank you for sharing! =D==D=

mavjade likes this.