main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Winds of Erilnar (AU, OC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Vehn, Feb 8, 2020.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Who are these operatives? I must know. Have the Phantoms returned?

Vehn likes this.
  2. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Erilnar

The mood of the capital had changed forever as a result of the terrorist attack against the queen’s life. Gone were the days of civility and decorum. Gone were the days of feasts and the advancement of Centran ideas and philosophies. Gone were the days of a golden age for the monarchy which had brought peace to the Centrality.

Instead of peace the people of Erilnar were greeted with unheralded whispers of the queen’s agents taking people from their homes. Instead of freedom of movement the people were greeted by martial law. Instead of the great liberalization that had once been a trademark of the crown the people were greeted with a hard tack toward authoritarianism and absolute rule.

A dark cloud seemed to hang over Erilnar. Each passing day the stench and decay of bodies increased as they swung from gibbets lining the streets of the capital. Four families had been completely eradicated in the last few weeks. Families that had once been ardent supporters of the crown. Now those families were gone. They had been disappeared. Fear gripped the capital. A fear unlike many had felt since the Great Centran War had ended almost eight years ago….

Three Weeks Earlier
    The Palace

“We’ve rounded up the last of them,” Princess Caiomhe stated as she guided her sister, Queen Carley Heraat, around her daily walk through the gardens.

“How many is that now?” Queen Carley asked.

“Three hundred souls,” Caiomhe confirmed.

“That’s quite a few,” Queen Carley observed, “too many to execute all at once. It will have to be done in sections. Carefully, very carefully.”

Queen Carley felt Princess Caiomhe’s hands stiffen ever so slightly.

“Speak your mind,” Queen Carley stated.

“I cannot say I understand your pain,” Caiomhe carefully said, “but I feel that what you have decided to do will have damning repercussions on your reign for many years. Repercussions that may extend to your heirs. Possibly even theirs-“

“So you’re one of them. The Hapans and Queen Sierra. The Republic, that Declan Trieste, has publicly decried my actions. The ExO of the Corporate Sector threatened to cut off relations, even the Roon Federation is considering pulling their embassy! Must I do this alone?” Queen Carley challenged.

“No, Carley,” Caiomhe replied dropping the royal title and speaking to her sister from the heart, “but I think there is another way to achieve exactly what you want without the bloodshed. Without being known as the butcher of Erilnar. Queen Carley the Mad.”

“Is that what they’re calling me?” Queen Carley asked.

“They will soon enough,” Caiomhe replied as the pair resumed their walk, “but my plan is simple. We already have your political opponents apprehended. We can have a select few marked for execution if you must but the rest will be sent into exile. Stripped of their Centran citizenship they will be cast out into the independent systems to fend for themselves. They will have no money, no assets, nothing to help them survive what is to come. Those that survive this purge will be too broken to ever mount a challenge to you again.”

“I once thought I had broken a man who took everything from me,” Queen Carley quietly observed, “how wrong I was.”

“He had help,” Caiomhe corrected, “these people will have very little of that. I’ve gone ahead and secured agreements with the other surrounding governments that they are not to take any Centran refugees into their custody. That means those that cry out for asylum. Those that illegally enter various star systems belonging to our allies. Those that would seek to eventually mount an insurrection against your crown will have no place to go but an early grave.”

“You are cunning, sister,” Queen Carley said, “I wonder what kind of queen you would have made if given the chance.”

“Not a very good one,” Caiomhe replied with a slight smile, “not a very good one at all. I lack your ability to keep the Centrality together.”

“There’s one problem,” Queen Carley said, “we need to show the people that I mean business. I can’t exile three hundred citizens and have nothing to show for my efforts.”

“Princess Josephine of Dela has agreed to supply bodies from their morgues,” Caiomhe explained, “fresh ones. Haven’t been dead for very long. Apparently they had a horrible virus sweep through their population centers recently. Some sort of animal flu. Don’t worry all of the bodies are unable to spread the contagion at this point. You’ll pay the executioners of course to carry out the death sentences that will remind those around you of the price of terrorism and insurrection. Then we hang the bodies in the streets.”

“What if someone recognizes the bodies?” Queen Carley pointed out.

“The long death, sister, is such that most of the faces of those who are executed will be unrecognizable by the time the executioners are done with them,” Caiomhe replied.

“Very well,” Queen Carley said, “see to it that it’s done. As for actual executions make sure that Lady Catriona Khomri be granted no reprieve.”

“And her daughter, Leeya? We apprehended her last night,” Caiomhe replied.

Queen Carley inhaled sharply. She shook her head with disgust and replied, “Let her go. Send her to the Roon Federation on strict orders that she is never to return.”

“Why the Roon Federation?” Caiomhe asked.

“Because Eleanor Vehn was about to save her from the block as well as several others of her kind and despite mending fences I have come to realize that Eleanor Vehn cannot leave the Centrality alone,” Queen Carley replied.

“And how do you know that?” Caiomhe questioned.

“How do you think I’ve staved off the Roon Federation all these years?” Queen Carley said.

“I figured it was who you were,” Caiomhe replied, “your strength. Your power.”

Queen Carley shook her head, “The Karr family owes me a debt. A debt I have yet to call in but one that I trot out every now and again to remind them of their appropriate place in the galaxy. That debt has forced a certain former president of the Roon Federation to feed me valuable information from time to time. Information that has allowed me to stay one step ahead of my rivals and those who would plot against me. Unfortunately I did not anticipate the terrorist who struck a blow into the heart of my soul from a direction I was not prepared to defend.”

“Liberty Ann Karr owes you a debt,” Caiomhe breathed, “that explains why Federation forces didn’t resist you as the Great Centran War came to a close. Why they didn’t counterattack after years of supporting the enemy.”

“And she will continue to honor that debt if she knows what is good for her,” Queen Carley replied as the pair finished up their walk in the garden.

Tag: @Trieste; @jcgoble3

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Erilnar
    Throne Room

“You have come a long way to see me,” Queen Carley said as she faced away from Verity Vehn gazing out her favorite window though she could not see the beauty of the world beyond.

“I have come a long way to see a friend,” Verity replied, “and family member.”

“I gave up the-” Queen Carley began before she heard Verity’s hand swoosh through the air like a lightsaber through flesh.

“Do not lecture me on your past, Carley,” Verity snapped, “I know who you are. I know what you are. Do not stand there acting as if you are not at all connected to my family. My mother, Rowena, was born a Heraat. She was one of three. The others were Taaya and Reyna, your mother. You know what happened to them. You also are aware what happened to my mother. She was killed, much like your husband and son, by a terrorist attack.”

Queen Carley remained silent.

“I know the rage that swells in your blood. I can see the results of that rage on the streets of Erilnar. The bodies. The stench. The decay. The death. Hear this if you must hear anything,” Verity said, “that a million beings could die and never fill that awful void in your heart, in your soul. Punishing others who are loosely connected to the plot that took Jack and Shay is incomprehensible. Frankly, it makes you look weak.”

“Am I weak?” Queen Carley weakly asked. Fatigue evident on her face.

“You are in mourning and grieving the loss of people you loved dearly,” Verity clarified, “you are far from weak. In fact I feel you are the strongest of all those of your generation. You have a rod of steel inside you and yet you do not use it wisely. You are wise but have lately ignored the wise counsel of your sister, Caiomhe, and Princess Josephine of Dela. Even Declan Trieste has now called you out on your behavior. Not to mention there are rumors, however unfounded, that the Corporate Sector Authority, Tion Hegemony, and even the Hapans are reconsidering their treaties with the Centrality. The bloodshed must stop. The executions must stop.”

“If you must know,” Queen Carley replied in a quiet tone, “none of the bodies out there have been killed by my executioners. They are already dead. They were bodies taken from a virus that hit one of the Centran worlds. I have killed no one despite public appearances.”

“Not even Lady Catriona Khomri?” Verity questioned.

“Not even,” Queen Carley replied, “she’s currently in a cell while I decide what to do with her.”

“Her daughter recently arrived on Nime,” Verity pointed out, “and there are rumors that you have sent families. Women, children, out into the depths of space as exiles.”

“I did what I had to do,” Queen Carley replied, “and it took everything inside me to give those orders.”

“There’s still time for you to recall those ships. Time for you to rebuild your image. Time for you to save your realm before it sinks further into chaos,” Verity pointed out, “don’t throw everything away because you hate the world around you.”

Queen Carley folded her arms across her chest. She felt uncertainty rising inside her. She knew that Verity was right. She knew that the actions she had taken were harsh and severe. Was it too late to go back?

“Of all those who wore the Vehn name, who were adopted, and whom I have grown to love,” Verity said, “you were the one who was closest to my heart. That young girl that would excel in her studies. That young woman who raced on Nime in open wheeled racers that would send most men running for the hills. That young woman who became a queen and ended a war. A queen who rebuilt her realm and created something beautiful in a galaxy in desperate need,” Verity said, “you can be that queen again. Even after your loss you can build a better world. It just takes one step.”

Princess Josephine and Princess Caiomhe entered the room. They gave a slight curtsey before standing at attention near the door. Queen Carley looked at them and gave a brief smile. Her first in weeks.

“Have the bodies taken down and sent back to their planet. Have the streets cleaned and call the Centran Assembly together. I have some much needed mending to do in my realm,” Queen Carley ordered.

“As you wish, Your Majesty,” both princesses replied before hurrying off.

Queen Carley felt Verity’s hand slip into her own. She squeezed the hand as her breathing quickened.

“I fear the path ahead is as dark as my vision has become,” Queen Carley stated.

“There is another reason I came to you,” Verity replied, “to tell you that Austin Vehn used his last few connections with the Jedi to arrange for you to receive an healing. An healing that shall repair your eyes. Give you the gift of sight back.”

“Kaitlyn Vehn had a similar procedure done if I recall,” Queen Carley stated.

“She did,” Verity replied, “after the horrible shuttle accident that nearly ended her life.”

“I would have liked to meet her,” Queen Carley said, “Jack spoke so fondly of her while he was alive.”

“She would have loved you,” Verity said as she drew Queen Carley to her chest in a fierce embrace, “as I love you.”

Prison Cell

Lady Catriona Khomri heard her cell door opened and knew the time had come. She wouldn’t put up a fight. She would go to the block as a true noble. Dignified and true to herself and her beliefs.

“Lady Catriona Khomri,” the captain of the guard said, “by order of the queen you have hereby had your sentence commuted. You shall be stripped of your lands and titles and sent to Roon.”

“And my daughter? Is she safe?” Catriona asked.

“She’s waiting for you. You better catch the next transport out of here.”

She did just that.

Tag: @jcgoble3; @Trieste

4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Sometimes family can get through where politics cannot.

And a healing... that's great to see. :p

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  5. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Dela

Moonlight trickled in across the waters of Dela and into the home of Princess Josephine Daneher as she lay in bed with her lover and friend Princess Caiomhe Heraat. The pair had just finished a whirlwind love session and now rested quietly in one another’s arms as the sound of the ocean far below the home wafted throughout the night air.

“Must things always be this good?” Josephine asked Caiomhe.

“I pray they will,” Caiomhe replied, “and I also pray that the dark days of the last few months since the bombing will slowly fade away.”

“The Queen’s eyesight was healed,” Josephine mentioned, “by the Jedi no less. Some are calling it a miracle.”

“Perhaps Carley has learned a valuable lesson,” Caiomhe observed, “and will be more magnanimous as her reign continues. The people are slowly recovering from the terror of the dark days after the bombing. Our foreign relations are slowly being rebuilt. People dare to breathe again as our queen relaxes her tightened grip.”

“It was a natural reaction,” Josephine replied, “to an unnatural event. Carley was in pain. She was hurting. She clamped down on everything she could get her fingers on and look what good that did her.”

“Very little,” Caiomhe pointed out, “and only now is the Centrality moving back in the direction of a hopeful future.”

“Speaking of future,” Josephine said tracing her fingers up Caiomhe’s back, “what does yours look like?”

Caiomhe tilted her head slightly and closed her eyes. A sigh of relaxation escaped her lips as she opened her eyes to look upon the face of her love once more.

“I fear my future is more of the same. Attending upon my sister as she recovers emotionally from what was taken from her. Being at court. Spending time away from you,” Caiomhe replied.

“What if I told you I had a different plan for us,” Josephine said.

“Us? Plans?” Caiomhe questioned.

Josephine inhaled sharply as she gathered her thoughts. When she spoke again her voice was steady, strong, and full of love. “I don’t like how we spend so much time away from one another. I want us to be together. Permanently.”

“As in-”

“Marriage,” Josephine pushed.

“I’m not sure the queen will allow-”

“There is no Centran law against the union of two peoples of the same gender,” Josephine replied quickly, “and Carley must recognize that you need a life of your own. A life free of the problems that she carries around.”

“A life free from her influence you mean,” Caiomhe corrected.

“Precisely,” Josephine replied, “which is why I think you should move here on Dela. By law I have no claim to the throne but I also am protected in ways that other Centran systems are not.”

Caiomhe smiled and stroked Josephine’s cheek, “I love you. I accept.”

“Then we’re settled?” Josephine asked.

Caiomhe gave a wry grin as her hand slipped down Josephine’s naked body.

“I’m not sure I can ever truly be settled,” Caiomhe replied as Josephine gave off a low moan.

Erilnar
    One Week Later

Queen Carley could see the world again. She had been healed. The entire realm had rejoiced when she had announced her miraculous healing. The return of her sight had put the young queen in a perpetually grateful and cheerful mood.

“Sister,” Caiomhe said, “what say you to our plans for union?”

Queen Carley gazed upon Princess Josephine and Princess Caiomhe and with replied, “I consent. Go, be happy, live your lives together as one. Long may you find happiness and peace in one another’s company. It is time our realm rediscovers the beauty of the galaxy and the union of two peoples. Let the wedding preparations commence!"

"I cannot thank you enough, Your Majesty," Caiomhe replied with barely concealed excitement.

"No, my dear sister, it is I who should be thanking you," Queen Carley replied, "for everything."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  7. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: This story will be wrapping up in about four posts. Winds is finally coming to its conclusion. Stay tuned for a prequel story that will be released in the not too distant future.

Finale: Part One
    Erilnar
    Common Room

“Mommy! Mommy!”

Queen Carley turned and knelt as her twin girls, both red headed, leaped into her arms. She swung them about, giving them kisses and hugs, as the trio spinned around and around the room. She never wanted to let them go. Wanted to hold them forever. Cherish every moment. Ignore the needs of the state and the realm.

She gently set the twins down and tidied up their tousled clothes. She looked deep in their eyes and fought back tears. She was having to make a hard decision today. A necessary decision. One that would secure the throne for years to come.

“Mommy, what is it?” Regina asked.

“You seem sad,” remarked Rebecca.

“I am saddened,” Queen Carley admitted, “for today I need to send you away for your own protection. It is time that your education as the future queens of the Centrality be secured.”

“I don’t want to go away,” Regina remarked.

“Neither do I,” Rebecca added.

“You must,” Queen Carley said as a hot, salty, tear slipped down her face, “it is the only way I can guarantee that you will live to see adulthood. There are forces out there. Powerful ones who would see the two of you killed just to end the Heraat line.”

A figure entered the room. Fenix Tano. The old bounty hunter gazed down upon the children as he waited patiently for his monarch to send them to his protection.

“You see that nice man over there?” Queen Carley asked as the twins looked at Fenix. “He and his wife Nadine are going to watch over you in a system outside of the Centrality. Far from prying eyes. Far from the dangers of the galaxy. There you shall be formally educated in the ways of court. In the ways of your ancestors. When the time is right you shall return to this realm as rulers to be.”

“Will you come visit us?” Regina asked.

“Always,” Queen Carley replied, “as much as I am able.”

“All the preparations are ready, Your Majesty,” Fenix Tano said, “I am ready when you are.”

“Oh give me a squeeze,” Queen Carley said as she drew the twins in for another hug. She never wanted to let them go. After all that had happened in the last year with losing her husband, losing her eldest heir, allowing these two to leave her control, her safety, was next to impossible. It had to be done though. There was no other choice. The line of succession had to be secure.

“Mind your studies. Remember to always carry a humble heart. You may write to me at any time but always make sure the connection is secure,” Queen Carley reminded her two daughters, “and speak to no one about your location.”

“We will, Momma,” the twins said in unison.

“Go,” Queen Carley said as she gave one final kiss to each of them, “and become great queens of the Centrality. I love you both very much.”

“I will look after them as if they were my own,” Fenix gently reminded Queen Carley.

“I know you will,” Queen Carley replied as she wiped tears from her eyes, “take good care of them.”

“I shall,” Fenix said as he gathered the twins to him and quietly escorted them to their shuttle.

Queen Carley gazed down at the landing pad as she watched her daughters embark the shuttle. She gave a brief nod to Fenix Tano who gazed up toward the towers of the castle of Erilnar and with a sharp salute boarded the shuttle. Within seconds the shuttle was climbing up away from the castle and into the upper reaches of Erilnar’s atmosphere.

Carley lowered her head and allowed herself a good cry.

“I beg your pardon, Your Majesty,” Princess Josephine said interrupting Carley’s thoughts, “I just came to let you know that Caiomhe and I are leaving. Going back to Dela. Is everything all right?”

Queen Carley, with red, wet, eyes, looked over at Princess Josephine and smiled foolishly. She wiped the few remaining tears from her eyes and composed herself.

“I will be fine. As fine as I can be,” Queen Carley admitted, “just a mother letting her daughters out of her sight.”

“I see,” Princess Josephine replied, “it was time for them to begin their formal education?”

“It was,” Queen Carley said, “as hard as it is for me to say that.”

“You made a hard decision,” Princess Josephine replied, “but one that shall secure your dynasty for generations. We have much work to do, Your Majesty. Much work to do to keep the Centrality prospering and growing. In so many ways we’ve only just begun.”

“And that is why I will rely heavily on you and Princess Caiomhe,” Queen Carley stated, “to keep our royal house in order.”

“And you shall have us at your beck and call,” Princess Josephine replied with a curtsey.

“Safe travels, Princess,” Queen Carley said.

“Before I go,” Princess Josephine replied, “I just wanted you to know that I believe you were the right ruler for our times. What you have had to do to get the Centrality to a place of peace, if not tranquility, has been nothing short of admirable.”

“You are one of the few,” Queen Carley countered.

“No, Your Majesty, I am one of many,” Princess Josephine replied and with a bow left the room.

Queen Carley looked skyward and knew in her heart there was still so much work to be done. So much work.

At least the twins are safe
    ....she thought.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Finale: Part Two
    Erilnar
    Throne Room

“The ambassador from the Roon Federation has arrived, Your Majesty,” an aide whispered in Queen Carley’s ear as the great doors to the throne room were opened to welcome the visitors.

Queen Carley studied the ambassador, a woman, carefully as she made her way down the red carpet pausing before the throne to courtsey as was the custom expected of visiting foreign dignitaries.

The young queen said nothing. She would let the ambassador speak first. Partly to intimidate and partly to see if the Roon Federation had changed their tune from the last time they’d sent a delegation to Erilnar which had been years ago.

“Greetings, Your Majesty,” the Roonian ambassador said, “it is with great pleasure that I stand before you today representing my government on Nime. It is the express desire of our government to convey to you and your court that the Roon Federation has made terrible mistakes in the past. Terrible mistakes in the Centrality that have caused a great deal of harm. A great deal of pain. Please accept our humblest apologies.”

Queen Carley said nothing.

The ambassador shifted uncomfortably before continuing, “And it is my personal hope, my sincerest hope, speaking to you now as a citizen of the Federation that today we may move forward beyond our terrible past into a bright future. As a gesture of good will the Federation is willing to invest, significantly, in the civilian sector of your realm and help the rebuilding efforts on worlds like Tund and Erilnar. The destruction of your cities, the killing of your people, is blood on our hands and we are deeply sorry for ever having gotten involved in the internal affairs of the Centrality. I hope-”

Queen Carley raised a hand to cut the ambassador off mid sentence.

“You come to us with such a reverent heart, such an apologetic tone, that were we anyone else we might suspect treachery. We accept your government’s overtures of peace and cooperation. We pray that our interactions with your government, now and in the future, will be cooperative and in the interest of truly repairing the damage that both sides inflicted on one another,” Queen Carley replied.

The ambassador shifted on her feet. She wasn’t sure what to say.

“The Centrality is willing to forgive the transgressions of the last half century in the genuine hope that such transgressions shall never happen again. Convey to your newly elected president,” Queen Carley paused for a second, “that we are open to true and friendly bilateral relations. We are entering the start of a new age. Let that be an age of peace.”

With that the conversation was over.

Queen Carley stood as the ambassador bowed deeply.

“One last thing,” Queen Carley stated, “let it be known that if the Federation supports any traitors that have left our realm to seek political asylum on Nime it shall be considered an open act of war. We shall give no quarter in our response.”

“As you wish, Your Majesty,” the Roonian ambassador replied.

9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Since I don't remember all the details, do we as readers know of any such political refugees in the Federation?

10. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: Yes there's quite a few political refugees hiding out in the Federation. Prominently Leeya Khomri, daughter of Catriona Khomri who once served on the Privy Council. She was expedited by a team of operatives in the middle of the night to Nime. She is just one of many beings who may have an axe to grind with the Centran crown.

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Finale: Part Three

[​IMG]

Erilnar
    Royal Stadium
    Home of the Centran Royals

[​IMG]

After seven years of construction the stadium for the first professional limmie team representing all of the Centrality was finally complete. There had been construction delays, union disputes, funding difficulties, and many more roadblocks and only the personal will of Queen Carley had allowed the project to complete. At long last the great stadium and home of the Centran Royals was upright and standing as a beacon of Centran architecture and advancement.

Queen Carley had just wrapped up her tour of the facilities and field. She came away impressed with the quality of the stadium and the overall build of the front office. There was only one problem. The team lacked any civilian oversight. Technically, the crown, as in Queen Carley, owned the limmie squad. The credit stopped with her. She needed someone with experience.

Enter Lilly Vehn.

“I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye,” Queen Carley bluntly stated, “but I need you to do this job.”

“I think you should be talking to my sister Addison,” Lilly replied, “this is more her arena.”

“I chose you because you have the ability to get things done. Now that your mayorship of Nar Shaddaa is over with you can apply you newfound skills of bringing a fractious team together to work as one,” Queen Carley pointed out.

“Nar Shaddaa has plenty of problems,” Lilly admitted, “but I didn’t solve all of them.”

“You left the Smuggler’s Moon a better place, like your mother,” Queen Carley said.

“I never knew my mother-”

“Kaitlyn,” Queen Carley corrected.

Lilly looked away at the mention of her adopted mother. So much had changed since Kaitlyn was assassinated in 278 ABY. So much had changed.

“I don’t know anything about the Centrality,” Lilly protested.

“You will learn,” Queen Carley said, “and I will be here to help you if you falter.”

“You do realize that I tried to have you killed,” Lilly pointed out.

Queen Carley let a barely imperceptible smile cross her lips. “I know you did. It was a bold move when you had so few cards to play in the great game.”

“It had a chance of succeeding,” Lilly grumbled.

“Many people, some better than yourself, have tried to have me killed over the years,” Queen Carley explained looking Lilly directly in the eyes, “The reasons all vary. I stopped wondering why a long time ago. Do you know why I’m still alive? Do you know why I have more power now than I did seven years ago? It’s not luck and its not fate.”

Lilly was quiet.

“I’m still alive because I stay many steps ahead of my rivals. I have spies everywhere that feed me valuable information. And lastly I am respected in this galaxy if not downright feared for my ability to exact vengeance on those who would come for me,” Queen Carley explained, “and the fact that you are standing before me instead of swinging from some gibbet ought to tell you exactly how I view you.”

“I-” Lilly stammered.

“That view can change, Lilly, in the blink of an eye,” Queen Carley stated, “never forget that. Now, you are going to accept this job before I begin to suspect that you are incapable of doing it.”

“I will do my best,” Lilly replied as she curtseyed before the queen.

“I know you shall. Do not challenge my reign again, understand?” Queen Carley threatened.

“As you wish, Your Majesty,” Lilly replied.

Tag: @Trieste; @jcgoble3

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I look forward to seeing the Centran Royals in ELL. ;)

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  13. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

Finale: Part Four

Erilnar

Queen Carley stood on her private balcony watching the seasons slowly change from summer to fall. The wind rustled through her castle howling as it whipped around stone corners and untied drapes.

She had much to reflect upon as she spent these few quiet moments thinking of how far she had come since ascending to the throne. Gone was that orphaned, inexperienced, young girl and in her stead was a mother of twins, a confident, capable, woman who had gotten the galaxy to sit up and listen to what the Centrality had to say.

Tund was rebuilding and was starting to look more and more like its pre-war form.

Citizens from the Centrality were openly marrying Hapans and benefiting from their advanced educational systems.

Women, whose voice in the Centrality had been historically crushed, were finding new ways to represent their districts and planets in the Centran Assembly.

Foreign governments such as the Roon Federation or the Corporate Sector now had to actually respect the sovereign borders of the Centrality or fear a sharp rebuttal. Gone were the days of foreign meddling in Centran affairs.

The Republic, for all of its austerity, was openly discussing additional places to have embassies beyond Erilnar. There were even rumors of trade agreements benefiting both the Federation and the Centrality.

The D14, one additional member of the Centrality included, was convening in a month to discuss additional security treaties. Ways to keep conflicts to a minimum. Ways to include up and coming new systems.

“I never grew tired of this view,” Verity Vehn stated as she approached the queen from behind.

“I didn’t realize that you were familiar with the view from the castle,” Queen Carley replied immediately recognizing the voice.

“My mother, Rowena, took me here several times as a child,” Verity admitted.

“Was she a guest of the crown?” Carley asked.

Verity shook her head and chuckled. “My dear she was the crown.”

Queen Carley spun to look at Verity with a look of astonishment.

“My mother, Rowena Vehn, was born a Heraat. She was the eldest of three sisters. I believe you know the other two,” Verity replied.

“Reyna and Taaya,” Carley replied.

Verity nodded.

“They called the three sisters the Daughters of Erilnar,” Verity explained, “and in their day they were some of the most beautiful women in the realm. They also were the future of the crown. A crown that had grown increasingly isolated from the people. They were the next generation. The power generation. The generation that was to fix all that came later.”

“Instead we plunged into endless war,” Carley quietly mentioned, “and to think it could have been avoided.”

Verity shook her head, “It wasn’t that simple.”

“Wasn’t it?” Carley asked.

“I’m afraid not,” Verity replied, “and that is a story for another day. I came here to escort you to your upcoming banquet.”

“That’s too kind,” Carley said.

“It’s the least I could do for the one woman in the galaxy who needs my guidance,” Verity stated with a smile.

“I need your guidance?” Carley asked as she took Verity’s outstretched arm.

“Not any longer,” Verity replied as she accepted the gesture.

The pair made their way down the halls of the castle. Down the grand staircase and into the great dining hall. All who were in attendance stood as the queen entered the room and slowly made her way to her chair at the head of the banquet table.

“Long live the Queen!” a courtier cried out.

“The Queen!”

“The Queen!”

“The Queen!”

Queen Carley raised her glass and gave a salute to all those present. She felt good today. She felt whole. She felt ready to tackle the challenges of tomorrow whatever they might bring.

“Long may House Heraat reign,” Verity whispered into Queen Carley’s ear.

Queen Carley nodded and smiled again. She felt a wind brush across her face once more reminding her that life was all about change. All about new directions. All about making old things new again. She closed her eyes ever so slightly as she inhaled the sharp, cool, scent of autumn. A scent brought forward by one thing and one thing only.

[​IMG]

The Winds of Erilnar.

THE END

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    =D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D=

Excellent and powerful writing throughout; great job as always.

It was a long and hard fight, but Queen Carley has built a legacy. But here we get hints of previous family connections; could this be the seed of the prequel to come? [face_thinking]

Vehn likes this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    A great ride! Thanks for letting us read it!

Vehn likes this.