main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Witcher Series (PC RPG of the Forever)

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It literally simulates a save - as in, choices you made in Witcher 2 are asked about so that they can be implemented as though you had carried over a save file.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I figured as much, but I opted to not use that option. Dumb move?

Anyway, played again after catching up on laundry, dishes, etc...and now it's almost 2am! How the heck does time speed up so quickly when I play this game? :p

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That's why I rarely play Skyrim, because it is very easy to get sucked into that, especially when questing. Well, that and I have encountered a few bugs, mainly several issues from playing unpatched for my first playthrough and the Dawnguard Marked for Death/Drain Vitality bug with the Legendary Edition and the three DLCs during my second playthrough. I have also tried to do just about everything in both of my playthroughs so far and I have been rather haphazard in how I speced my characters, which has left me somewhat unattached to my two characters, to the point I only stuck with my first character in order to get all of the achievements from the base game.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Depends. If you haven't played Witcher 2 it's probably best to not do it because you get asked a bunch of questions you will straight-up not be able to answer. If you have played Witcher 2 all the way through then it's a must-do.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Useful to know, thanks.

6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So I caved and bought the game. It's pretty good. Although it really isn't a "wide open world". More like large areas to explore and you travel between the different kingdoms. But it is a gorgeous world nonetheless, and gotta love dynamic weather systems.

Although one complaint I have is how empty the world feels. With such a big open world, it'd be nice to see some peasants walk by with a cart or on a horse, or some hunters out in the forests going after game. While the "sandboxes" are big and beautiful, what's the point if there's no one to share it with?

Also gotta give props for not making redundant side quests (looking at you Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age). Each side quest actually feels like it matters, and not just "oh, find that item/kill "x" amount of creatures and return to me". But the story also lacks, IMO. Maybe because I'm not THAT far into it, but I just feel unintrigued. While Witcher 2 had problems, I always loved it's opening moments of the story, where you're laying siege to La Vellete castle. And right off the bar there, choices you made affected the entirety of the game and how other characters reacted. No major choices have actually happened yet,mat least IMO (I'm at the Blood Baron's castle, and am now to go find the witch or the other dude).

I'd say the game is a solid 7.5-8/10. It is has a beautiful and lavish open world/sandbox, but it just feels empty, and the main story is (thus far) lacking.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I guess it's fair to say on games like this, the story doesn't matter too much to me.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I have run into those sorts of things so... um... bad luck on some system rolling? Like I'll be travelling down a road, randomly come across some peasants who are hearing a sermon. Or I'll stumble upon a guy who's hauling corpses and his cart's being attacked by ghouls, initiating a little mini-quest. And then this one time I got attacked by a horned king while traveling back to a fast travel point and got my **** wrecked.

It's got stretches of openness but no more than I'd lay at the feet of Skyrim or Assassin's Creed IV. Then again I was trained by the original Wind Waker; everything feels more action packed than that ocean. :p

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It occurs to me that Geralt looks kind of like Kain from the Legacy of Kain series.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't see much point in comparing them since (As they themselves admit) the mediums are so different, but I certainly prefer The Witcher games to ASoIaF as I enjoy the former and have given up on the latter, so sure, why not.

Certainly Wild Hunt trumps any GoT-licensed games yet released, including the TellTale one.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I don't get it either. Maybe a book-to-book comparison would have been more apt. But I suppose the point was that video games have become an occasionally superior medium for storytelling.

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i heard that Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever made. Gamespot gave it a 10. ( which never happens)

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It's an engrossing game.

I'm presently doing a sidequest looking for a villager's wife. But the game wouldn't let me save my progress during this quest...and a werewolf just killed me. Guess I'll be starting from the beginning. Sigh.

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That not being able to save thing is definitely a glitch (If anything it ought to be auto-saving at quest checkpoints) so maybe the reset will correct that.

Other than that, make sure you have hybrid oil, ignii, and the correct type of bombs. That's a tough fight and you'll benefit from having all of those on top of the usual potions suite.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I'd read that the PS4 version suffers from frame rate issues and the X1 version suffers from a save game glitch. I think I'd rather deal with frame rate stutter. :p

JediMatteus and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well if i get it, it will probably be xbox 1. maybe they can fix with a patch?

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm confident CDPR is addressing problems as they become apparent. We're already up to version 1.03 in updates and there's every indication they're still working on it.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Resetting the Xbox One has fixed the problem for me. And I usually go through rpgs with multiple save slots just in case. The developers are indeed working on patches. A patch for PC frame rate problems was already released this week. The glitches aren't KotOR2 or Assassins Creed Unity bad. Just the occasional minor thing--nothing game-destroying.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I cannot beat that damn werewolf. I've repaired all my equipment to 100% durability, equipped green mutagen for vitality, crafted the thunderbolt potion, used my silver sword and ignii (fire magic) and the best I managed was to slaughter his wolves and get him down to maybe 1/4 of his health.

I also have very little crafting ability, as I can't find ingredients for 90% of the blueprints I've gathered. There's an alchemy shop, but it's always locked. :(

I've now just moved on to the Devil by the Well quest instead.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wait, you moved on to Devil by the Well? Are you the right level to be taking on that werewolf? That could very well be the issue.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Idk. I've been randomly exploring and taking on the quests the come my way. I think I'm at least a Level 5. What level is the werewolf quest? :p

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Like 7 or 8, so doable but difficult at level 5. Despite how easy the game makes it to switch objectives on the fly quest levels are actually something you need to pay attention to - there's at least one contract in something like the second town in the game that is actually a level 33 quest, and there are similar examples scattered throughout Velen. It's really only in White Orchard that they have something resembling a level cap on all encounters.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh. Thanks for the heads up!

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It does give a suggested level next to quests. It seems a bit odd though as one of them was a suggested level of 6 and I did it easily at level 2. I'm feeling like a twit right now though as I crafted the level 13 silver sword and forgot I'm only level 3.

On thing I've noticed is that this isn't for the achievement hunter. I got my first achievement after several hours of playing.