main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Social The WNU Interview Thread!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Khalia Octa, Aug 28, 2018.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    @Dagobahsystem Oh, wow, that is crazy that you were just playing "Peaceful Easy Feeling":eek:

That's awesome that you got to go to Tanglewood and that you saw Bob Dylan four times.

The Billy Joel concert was great, and the crowd was really into the performance. He played everything I wanted to hear, and I especially remember "We Didn't Start the Fire" and "Piano Man." Those were really favorites with the crowd.

2. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Bringer of Truth to EUC star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 23, 2018
    @devilinthedetails

If you could meet any celebrity, dead or alive, who would it be?

If you could ask George Lucas one question what would it be?

3. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Khalia Octa Thank you for more great questions!

I think the celebrity I would most like to meet is JK Rowling because I was obsessed with the Harry Potter books for years, and I'd love to be able to ask her all my questions about the Wizarding World and how it works.

If I met George Lucas, it'd be so difficult to limit myself to one question, but if I had to do that I think it'd be: Which Star Wars character does he find to be the most commonly misunderstood or misinterpreted by fans, how is that character misunderstood and misinterpreted, and what interpretation or understanding of the character he intended the audience to have? And that almost ends up being three questions rolled up into one. I love conjunctions.:)

4. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    @devilinthedetails

What are your thoughts on the Fantastic Beast movies?

What would your answers to the George Lucas question/s be?

5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Khalia Octa Thanks for more excellent questions!:)

I do enjoy the Fantastic Beasts movies even if I'm not quite as big a fan of them as of the Harry Potter movies. I love that we do get to explore the magical world in places like New York City and France, which broadens the Wizarding World, and many of the new characters are interesting and likable. The fact that it's set during Grindelwald's rise to power and the war against Grindelwald gives it a chance to have a compelling overall plot and a way to delve into some of the history of the Wizarding World. The first one had an intriguing mystery throughout with a surprise twist at the end, although I thought the second one did get a bit convoluted in terms of the plot at times, but seeing Dumbledore and Hogwarts made up for that. All in all, I find them fun movies and look forward to being able to see the next one when it comes out.

My personal answer to the Star Wars character who I think gets most often misinterpreted or misunderstood might be Padme Amidala, because I think in episode three in particular, her strength is often underrated and she's dismissed as weak or enabling, but I believe she is a more complex character than that with more wisdom and courage than she may get credit for having. To me, she might be the most underestimated and underrated Star Wars character. I think even I have been guilty of underestimating and underrating her in the past though she always did have traits that I admire and respect. So, I'm by no means immune to misinterpretation and misunderstanding...That being said, I'd so love to get George Lucas to provide some insight and answers to that question:D

6. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2019
    What were your favorite/least favorite subjects in school?

What’s your best Star Wars-related memory?

7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks for the excellent questions, @afterlight.

My favorite subjects in school were English (I love to read and write) and history (history fascinates me). My least favorite subject in school was math because I'm not very good at anything involving numbers.

My best Star Wars related memory is probably pretending to be Leia while my brother pretended to be Luke or playing with our Star Wars action figures and toys together.

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 9

Sep 25, 2015
    @devilinthedetails

Do you like any SW villains?
    If so, who?

What about the bounty hunters, do you like any of those characters?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you for more good questions, @Dagobahsystem!

I think I like most of the Star Wars villains, and I believe that Star Wars has created some truly great villains. Vader might be my all-time favorite villain because to me he was the most intimidating and terrifying when I was a child (I used to cover my eyes when he came on the screen and his heavy breathing combined with his deep voice would scare me so much when I was little), but then his redemption and how broken he is in ROTJ is truly moving.

Palpatine also is a marvelous villain in the sense of being this very cunning master schemer and manipulator, a sort of presence of ultimate evil in this fictional universe.

Dooku has an elegance about him and an intriguing backstory that could really be expanded in other works, and Maul had a very intimidating costuming and this driving desire for vengeance on the Jedi that I like.

I also really liked that Rogue One gave us a non-Force using villain in Krennic because in some ways he felt the most "real" of any Star Wars villain. It just felt like he was a form of villain and evil created by this cutthroat Imperial society, and that was fascinating to me. Tarkin can also fit into that mold in ANH and Rogue One.

In general, I think Star Wars does pretty well with its villains. It seems to me to be an area of consistent strength for the franchise, which is cool.

For bounty hunters, I like Zam Wessel and thought that her shapeshifting skills were really neat. I often end up wishing that more had been done with her and her unique shapeshifting skills in AOTC. I also find Jango interesting for his desire to have a clone son of himself created. Daddy Jango could be a fascinating fellow...

10. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @devilinthedetails
    100 points to Gryffindor! :D

Excellent and thoughtful answers, thank you kindly. And bonus points for mentioning Zam. I agree with everything you said.

Have you ever read The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks?
    A friend gave me a copy and I've been meaning to read it when I have time.

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Dagobahsystem Unfortunately, I haven't ever read The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks, but I've heard that it's a good book, so I probably should one day. Definitely let me know how it is when you get around to reading it:)

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I will do so @devilinthedetails

Ok, as we've discussed it briefly before, I know superhero flicks are not your favorite genre and that is totally cool. My question was, have you seen any DC comics films that you enjoyed?

Say like, Tim Burton's Batman 1989 or Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy?

I was just curious. Thanks for your time.

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Dagobahsystem I have to admit that I haven't seen too many superhero movies, but I do remember seeing and enjoying Joker and Batman Begins.

Ava G. and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails

How do you approach writing fanfictions? Do you think of the context/setting first or do you think of the characters interacting, their conversations and feelings/thoughts?

Do you write best with music in the background or does it have to be quiet?

Favorite sweet snack?

Most wonderful place you've been on vacation and the place(s) you really want to visit?

Do you like roller coasters?

15. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    @devilinthedetails

You mentioned you enjoyed history, what would be the most fascinating time in history to you?

16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you for some wonderful and fascinating questions:)

With fan fiction, I tend to think of the heart of the story being my characters, so often what comes to me first with a story is something to do with the characters: a feeling they have, a conflict or resolution between them, or maybe a line of dialogue or some idea of an interaction they might have together. Even in terms of setting, I tend to approach it a bit from a character perspective in terms of what will the character think or feel about the setting, what will the character notice about the setting, what will the character appreciate or disapprove of about the setting, how might the character be reflected in the setting, how might the setting shape the character, how might the character change the setting, and how might the character come into conflict with the setting. So too with plot a lot of the time it is about the character driving the plot and the plot is a way to create and spur character development.

For all of my creative writing, I really do prefer having music on in the background. I try to pick music that will suit the mood of whatever scene or story I'm writing. I find the music helps inspire me and get my creative juices flowing.

My favorite sweet snack is anything chocolate but especially Reeses Cups. Yum, chocolate and peanut butter. What a delectable combination.

It's so hard to pick a most wonderful place I've been on vacation since I've been to so many wonderful places. In terms of natural beauty, I love the tropical loveliness of Hawaii (particularly Maui, which was the island I visited) and the towering trees and rugged coastline of the Pacific Northwest. I also found the Lake District of Northern England really breathtaking when I went there, and the mist in Ireland felt really mystical. As far as cities go, I have a real soft spot for York, England with its Gothic cathedral, York Minster, and its medieval district (called the Shambles) and its old wall to explore. I also enjoy Montreal for the French influence and beautiful churches.

As far as places where I haven't been that I would love to go, I would say the place I most want to travel to next is Italy to see the art, taste the food, and explore the Roman ruins. I'd also love to go to France, Greece, China, and Japan. In general, I'd really love to do more international travel than I have in the past.

Roller coasters tend to scare me since I'm afraid of heights [face_laugh] but I do love other types of rides. Like especially ones that have a lot of spinning. Disney is a good park for me. Lots of rides that are fun but not too scary. So if you so someone at Magic Kingdom riding the teacups, the carousel, and It's a Small World a lot, that might just be me:D

@Khalia Octa Excellent question! :) I've always had a soft spot for American history (probably because I'm American) and have been particularly fascinated by the American Revolution and the American Civil War. The Industrial Revolution and the Victorian Era interest me as they were periods of such rapid change and development in our world that in many ways shaped the world that we have today both in positive and negative ways.

I also have an interest in Chinese history and have been trying to do a lot of reading on that. I feel like I wasn't taught that much about China in school, and that struck me as a shame being that it is the most populous nation on Earth with a long, rich history. So I've tried to do my own research, which I really enjoy.

Other areas of interest for me are the Ancient Romans (they had such an advanced civilization, and I think they have some similarities with Americans that make them especially relevant for Americans to study) and the medieval era in Europe. Currently I'm reading a book that explores the lives of some of England's queens during the medieval era entitled She-Wolves: The Woman Who Ruled England before Elizabeth by Helen Castor, and it's excellent especially for those who would like a more feminist perspective on history. I also have a book on the War of the Roses by her and on Joan of Arc that I hope to get to as I move through my endless to read list. :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  17. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2019
    Which era of Chinese history interests you most?

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Favorite animal?

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @afterlight Thank you for more thoughtful questions!:)

I honestly find the whole history of China in the twentieth century very interesting to study. The Communist Revolution, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward and the Great Famine. The One Child policy and the Deng Xiaoping's market reforms. I've tried to do a lot of reading and still feel that I've only scratched the surface of what there is to know. Then I also find the Tang, Song, and Ming dynasties fascinating as well.

My biggest pet peeve is probably when people try to pretend a bullying remark was "just joking." At least that is my current pet peeve.

My favorite animal is probably dogs just because they are such lovable companions and each one seems to have their own unique personality. For more exotic animals, I also like dolphins and find monkeys hilarious.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails

What's your opinion on the following Obi-Wan romantic interests ;) with Siri Tachi versus Satine?

What is your opinion on the whole idea plot-wise of the First Order and Kylo Ren? :p

What expectations did ROTJ leave you with as to the "state of the galaxy" and Han/Leia as well?

If you could write a post ROTJ AU, what would it involve? [face_batting] :D

Ava G. , Khalia Octa and afterlight like this.
  20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you for some wonderful Star Wars questions!:)

When it comes to Obi-Wan's romantic interests, I'm an Obi-Wan/Siri fan. I just loved how their personalities complemented and contrasted each other in interesting ways in the Jedi Apprentice books, and I felt Jude Watson was able to write an Obi-Wan in love who seemed to me to act exactly as an Obi-Wan in love would act. So I'm an Obi-Wan/Siri loyalist.

I wasn't a big fan of the First Order because I felt that it was very derivative of the Empire and it seemed to detract from what Han, Luke, and Leia had accomplished in the OT. It was to me depressing to have Han and Leia's only child fall to the Dark Side and terrorize the galaxy, and I wasn't a fan of the Kylo/Rey kiss at the end of TROS. Kylo's redemption in TROS worked better for me than I thought it would and I did like his memory of Han on the Death Star ruins, but a lot of the beats of his story were the same as the Vader/Anakin story, which I felt was better executed across the PT and the OT. I think having more backstory of Kylo's fall--how Snoke/Palpatine drew him to the Dark Side--could have helped make his story resonate with me more.

After ROTJ, I assumed the Emperor was dead and not coming back in any form, that Han and Leia would stay together as a couple, that the Empire would eventually fall and a New Republic would take its place, and that a New Jedi Order led by Luke and Leia would emerge. I could have handled the ST taking some of these things away from me, but taking all of them away from me made the premise of the ST feel very bleak and borderline nihilistic to me. After seeing TFA in theaters was my lowest point as a Star Wars fan.

A post ROTJ AU from me would probably involve Han and Leia staying together as a couple, a New Republic forming, and a New Jedi Order being established. I'd have to work on the details beyond that[face_thinking]

21. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    What does the expression 'devil in the details' mean or represent to you?

22. Ava G.

Ava G. 3X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Jul 7, 2016

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Great question.:) Beyond what Ava quoted in the post above mine, I'd say that to me the expression "the devil is in the details" to me is a somewhat wry reminder to myself that it is often the little details (such as the small print legalese at the bottom of a document given to us to sign) that might trip us up. It encourages me to focus on the details that I might otherwise overlook: to be careful and conscientious in my thinking.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  24. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    Thank you @devilinthedetails for being interviewed! If you'd like to be interviewed just PM me ;)
    Next up we have @Fel Corvax =D=

How did you come up with your username?

What era/s of Star Wars interest you and why? (can include EU!)

What are some of your hobbies?

Once these questions have been answered the floor is open to anyone else's questions.

25. Fel Corvax

Fel Corvax Jedi Knight star 3

May 19, 2020
    Okay I came up with Fel Corvax as a reference to the Fel empire from the EU, and Corvax from the video game Vader Immortal.

I am fascinated by the knights of the ld republc, and the old republic. I am especially fascinated by Vader and Ahsoka. I love the clone wars and the have an interest in the yuzhan vong war.

My hobbies include reading anything from comics to biology textbooks, learning how to type, sketching, and watching youtube. I have ADHD and a mild form of autism. I love star wars (Obviously) Star Trek, sailor moon, doctor who, and staying up too late.