main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Working from Home Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 17, 2020.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    If you do, let me know! We might be putting together a blog full of things parents can have their kids watch at home to learn and stay engaged.

Juliet316 and Darth McClain like this.
  2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I will! I've been trying to repackage things we've done before and get some fresh things rolling. Fingers crossed.

Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, working from home? Ah yes:
    [​IMG]

Which isn't that far from the truth - been setting up vid calls, sorting out payments via two Citrix bridges, basically directing a whole load of stuff remotely because that is what business support is.

Bulk of my work for the days I've been in over the last three weeks? Business continuity! Can't think why. Unlike some of the horror stories being posted I've a good set of smart, pragmatic bosses. Tuesday was Day 1, it went pretty good.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So on Thursdays the company normally pays for us to all go out for lunch.

Obviously now that we're all at home they can't do that.

... or can they? Our CEO just told everyone on Slack that we could order DoorDash, preferably from a local restaurant to give them our business in this time, and the company will reimburse us for it! Plus best-looking photo of today's food posted to Slack gets a $25 Amazon gift card too.

I like this company. The CEO has been a bit nuts about taking a while to let us work from home, but it seems he's come around now.

Ghost, Master_Lok, Rew and 7 others like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Folks working from home on computers should try to follow the 20/20/20 rule to avoid eyestrain - take a 20 second break every 20 minutes and look at something 20 feet away. This is easily done in the office if you're getting up for coffee, talking to a co-worker, answering the phone, taking bathroom breaks, etc. However if you're working on your own you might be looking at a screen for a longer time period than usual.

Sarge, Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was gonna take a nap over my lunch break, but the stupid furnace repair guy had to go off on an hour+ long jaunt to get the right part because he brought the wrong one with him. So now instead of sleeping on my break, I'm just sitting around waiting for him. ARG.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Great news!

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm eating too much chocolate at home.

Ghost and Master_Lok like this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, I had Butter Chicken and Garlic Naan from a new Indian place here in town.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That sounds good - was it?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Delicious. I'm a big fan of Butter Chicken, it's one of my favorite foods. And I have half the order left to eat tomorrow!

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You had me at Garlic Naan.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A week ago if I'd told my lot there'd be over 150 of them logged into a single video call, no one would have believed it. That happened this afternoon.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    150 on a video call? How does that work out logistically? We just did a normal all-staff teleconference. And I wouldn't be surprised if we got another one or an update tomorrow at the end of the week. Actually I hope we do.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m surprised at how much of my job can be done from home. Obviously it means kids are reading e-books now, and I had to share several resources with access to those (a few publishers are granting free access due to the quarantine).

I am eating too much artichoke dip though.

Master_Lok, Jedi Ben and 3sm1r like this.
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Very important conference call today with the team. Big updates due on whats happening next. 30mins booked in, took 5 mins to tell us not to come in anytime soon and then spent the remaining 25 taking the mick out of each other remotely.

I now work 7-3 rather than 830-430 and my commute is 0mins so I've now get an extra 3 hours a day at home with the kids and the missus

I like remote working

Ghost, Diggy , Rew and 9 others like this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know, I definitely like it as well.

The only downside is now I'm using my own toilet paper... which I can't find anywhere. Just ordered a lot of kleenex because some were in stock and will be here next week. The TP I ordered won't be here for 4 weeks [face_hypnotized]

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    An excellent colleague is leaving, today was his last day with us. So it was just two talkers and 150-odd viewers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve got an extra hour and a half a day due to no commute. I like that.

FatBurt and Master_Lok like this.
  20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    My team (about 8 people) has been pretty relaxed about which exact hours you work. So, I've been able to break the day in half and go for a social distance-appropriate walk in the neighborhood where I live. Nice to get some fresh air.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My boss asked me to work on the budget proposal for next year due by the end of the day. I haven't worked on the budget before! I feel like I got a pop quiz I wasn't prepared for.

Thankfully I was able to figure it out by using the last budget proposal. But I really didn't need more anxiety right now.

solojones, Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    As a Check out Chick, I don't have that luxury, I only get the nutjobs hoarding bog rolls..............

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Back up to three monitors, 2.5 on average saved on commute, kids laughing at my “phone voice”, life is good.

except I did have to go to Wally World to get something. I got there at 8:35, only to be told their new new hours are 7-8:30. So no sleeping in until 7:30 for me tomorrow. [face_plain]

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They're going to try 5 nationwide video conferences next week, with over 10,000 people [face_hypnotized] I don't think our HQ have any understanding of technology. I wish the 200-person call on Teams glitching so bad on Wednesday would have given them a hint.

25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Another morning, another day at the home office...