main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Working from Home Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 17, 2020.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yesterday I was at my parents' house for a bit. Today it will be all day because at 11am we're getting on the Facebook live stream my cousin is doing to tell us where she matched for her medical residency! I'm excited for her.

But also it's interesting all four of us being in one house with three of us working. My dad was back in his office, so that was fine. But he came out and played with the dogs. And said he got a lot more done than usual because no one interrupted him. My mom always works on her stuff in her living room, but now she has my brother and I there with her. And I brought my laptop and Summer over. It was a lively house. Actually a lot busier than my usual work environment :p

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, my boss doesn’t care about exact hours either as long as we answer parent and student questions in a timely manner and we get our work done. I was doing tech support at 9 pm. But I can run during the day now.

And I can eat and pee whenever I want. I don’t get to do that on my job site.

Rew and Sarge like this.
  3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We're still expected to be on from 8-5 (or 8-4 today because it's Friday), but they're being more flexible for people with kids. But honestly they always are, my boss usually works 8:20-4:30 because of needing to drop off and pick up her kid from daycare.

Anyway, today I'll be over at my parents' house as I work. I'm researching venomous and otherwise dangerous bugs and how to treat their bites. Good thing I'm not afraid of spiders!

4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Mostly not having to answer the phone is doing wonders for productivity.

Juliet316, Rew, Master_Lok and 4 others like this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We made the spare room into not only into office (my wife has a desk and chair since she does a lot more work due to being a principal while I am still working on my work station LOL) but also our place to talk about anything serious or need to vent to each other. The rest of the house is going be stress free zones for the kids. Its working well so far but keep in mind I am technically about to start spring break so really it wont be until the end of this month will both have to work at the same time. Will figure it out then I guess like everything else in our lives.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Two sets of headphones come to mind. (That way if someone is on the phone, etc the other person doesn't have to listen).

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yes that is what we are thinking as well but my wife said she is trying to schedule most of her teleconferences and stuff in the morning since my "office hours" will be in the afternoon. No way due I see high school students getting anytime before 12pm anytime soon. :)

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's true - unless their parents make them get up!

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My high schooler has Zoom sessions starting at 9 am and my middle schooler at 10 am. It’s my sessions that are in the afternoon. LOL

solojones and PCCViking like this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wish I could work from home, but it's a little difficult to operate amusement park rides from my living room. :(

(Which is why I'm starting to get irritated with out of touch government officials who impose lock downs while saying "non-essential workers or jobs.")

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Sounds like most are adjusting well to work from home. :)

12. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I can’t do my job from home and I’m self-employed so support from the state is unlikely. On the bright side, I work in one of the key sectors, so I should be able to undertake a limited amount of work for the duration of this situation.

This is probably for the best as I would be unlikely to achieve anything whilst working from home. I’d get far too distracted and waste half the day watching Family Guy and making cups of tea.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    True but @LAJ_FETT knowing my students they won't care. I just hope they are not hanging out together. I told everyone the last day of school (which was only ten days ago but feels like it was a month ago) felt like in "Scream" where they cancel school and the town shutdown. The adults were double locking all their doors and the teenagers were like "kegger!".

We @anakinfansince1983 are on Spring Break to next Monday and last week was all "Snow Days" therefore we are not even be able to contact our students to next week so I am curious how this is all going to work when the "e-learning" learns. Some kids will be totally into it, some kids will do just enough and some kids will fall thru the cracks. I think that is a lot what will be doing is trying to track down kids who fall thru the cracks and make sure they are safe/have food/etc. We dont have as many at risk kids as most schools do but we have them and obviously to be a lot of emotional support.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    here beginnith the first day i've ever worked from home. it already feels weird, but i am thankful that i can.

Ghost, Rew, Juliet316 and 1 other person like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep, we who are doing it should all be thankful we can. My brother can't work from home, is a contractor (in film and television, he works in lighting), and only has one month's rent left in his bank account. If he doesn't get a government stimulus check soon, he's in deep trouble.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My husband cannot work from home and will not be able to work from home, and will be going to work until there are so few people that the buses and rail system shuts down completely. He’s in public transit.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I would imagine that public transit will need to keep running for the sake of the doctors and nurses who use it... I hope. And all the people like @DarthTunick who need it to get to their essential jobs in grocery and other essential stores. So I hope your husband's job keeps running! My brother just doesn't have any money coming in now for who knows how many months. it's a real problem.

Meanwhile, I'm anxiously awaiting hearing from leadership about whether we're actually going to comply with our city's Stay at Home order. I absolutely need to, but I don't know what the CEO is thinking that makes him say they're considering what to do. There is no consideration. Shut down.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Regarding your CEO...

[​IMG]

;)

Seriously, I hope he comes to his senses.

Rew, Juliet316, solojones and 2 others like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I thought you were going to say he’s a busker.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I've been working from home since last Tuesday. Fortunately my office gave me a laptop so I have pretty much everything I need for the most part; with a few software applications that need updating by the IT. Things are kind of slow with such help; considering I work in among the largest Health Systems in the country and obviously this time some things take priority over others.

Luke02 likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Just had a conference call with my immediate bosses. To me it sounds like what's going to happen is we're still going to record (which requires a few people to come in but not me). I'll leave it up to those people to personally protest having to come in during a stay-at-home order. It sounds like they won't be asking me to come in... but I still am anxious to hear official confirmation of this from the CEO.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is beyond insane. Companies are told people need to stay at home and then: Well, that doesn't apply to us.

Yes it does you insane, macho mother****ers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know. I guess one of the people who's supposed to come in for recordings said no, his wife is pregnant and his two other kids have asthma, he's not going to risk it. So they got someone to replace him for that duty at least... but none of them should be coming in.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Eventually @solojones they will get medical personnel (and other mandatory/necessary workers) who don't have reliable transportation to work the following ways via school buses, local military/police or they will simply find housing close to the hospital or work place.

That is because @Jedi Ben the government is not being forceful enough. All 50 national guards should be up on the street patrolling and cracking down on all this. We need martial law now. To hell with the MAGA idiots who resist and start $h!t. Good luck against tanks and jets guys.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No one should be moving around, it's not a hard concept to grasp.

solojones and Luke02 like this.