main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Working from Home Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We can only do our part regrettably. The more of us that do our part the smaller the curve is. It's really that simple.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Rew, Lordban, solojones and 1 other person like this.
  2. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I work from my home studio for part of the week so am no stranger to working from home. But today is the first day I've had to lecture multiple musicians from a bloody laptop. We're focussing on live performance techniques and mechanisms, but obviously we're not actually live as there's a lag. I'm going to need this Easter to do some real planning as this has jumped out at me out of nowhere.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I like how I can hook up my office laptop to my home TV to get a large second screen. I'm used to working with two screens while at the office.

Juliet316 , Lordban and Yodaminch like this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I just keep the news or NFL network on the TV in the background as I work.

Rew and Lordban like this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I am sorta in the same boat but we are adopting pretty quickly, at least myself and other teachers though our e-learning does it start until next week since were on Spring Break. Give it some time and I think you will be happier with it as you work out the kinks.

I am doing the same thing @solojones. That and listening to Spotify. My phone is on alert for local/state changes so if something happens that I need to know about in terms of additional restrictions But other then that I am kinda isolated from the world and have been for over a few days now. We are all at least in terms of my family and I think that is the way most of us should be. It's really the way we can only help right now.

Lordban likes this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    One of our workers who I do not like (she is always late getting her projects done, and I'm the project manager, so she annoys me)... is on vacation. Like literally, early last week she and her family drove to Panama City to enjoy a vacation on the beach. In the middle of all this. And now she's going to work but she's staying at their vacation house so they can still party on the beach.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like this woman. Because she's a ****ing idiot.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I do the same. I had bought a 25 ft HDMI cord years ago that I plug in when needed. Was a bit difficult though trying to do a Zoom conference with my boss and having to look to my left where my tv was to see some of my notes.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    When not on Skype or on the phone, I'm back to having a TV series (chiefly Doctor Who and House MD) or a movie as background noise.

It's a good thing I was used to working on one screen at home already, because I'd certainly miss the three screens at the office a lot...

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We have big screens we work on at the office, but I have always only worked from my laptop. This is because I work in a recliner, both at home and at the office. So I'm not missing out on anything I didn't already abandon.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's really what I need; but naturally the electronic stores near me are all closed and by the time Amazon ships out "non-essential" electronic items like that, we'll all be back to work anyway. The HDMI cable I have hooked up to my TV is just borrowed from my Blu-ray player. It barely does reach my work station.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Had an hour run on YouTube of Skyrim ambience soundtrack today - worked really well.
    You'll get the last laugh - the beach will be closed.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    To me, work is a welcome distraction from the ongoing news of the pandemic. I'm fine waiting until after 5pm to get the latest numbers and then listen to how the President is promising everything coming up roses in the not-too-distant future.

Rew likes this.
  13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Wish I could escape that easily. I wrote guidelines about what should be done in case a court expert dies with regards to their case load this afternoon...

Rew and Luke02 like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I don't care about the President, but I like hearing from doctors and local officials. I already watched Today when I was home. It's just that naturally a lot of their stories now are about COVID-19. But hence being able to switch over to Good Morning Football when I need to.

EDIT: Yikes Lordban. That's no fun.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    kept cnn on all day. i am fascinated by the frequency of mesothelioma commercials. those guys must pay billions to the cable news networks, it's really something.

Ghost, Juliet316 , EHT and 3 others like this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah there are truly dozens of them a day.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well. I'm joining the ranks of the 100% work from home crowd starting tomorrow.

Hello, friends. Goodbye, hygiene.

18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I like keeping good hygiene at home :p

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Lol I haven't washed my hair in like four days :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Boooo Booooo

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I put tinted lip balm on for my Zoom meetings and that’s so I don’t scare my coworkers.

There are apparently some schools where teachers are expected to “dress professionally” for Zoom meetings, as well as logging all activities from 8-3:30 (one person mentioned logging pee breaks just to make a point). I’m glad I work for a human being, not the Jeff Bezos of education.

Ghost, Juliet316 , Rew and 5 others like this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Good grief...

... maybe I should have done a screenshot of a court president taking a professional call in his bathrobe to prove a point... :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It’s absurd that isn’t already in place, considering people can die from all sorts of things.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    All the legalese is in fact in place. It's just that it happens so rarely there aren't many people who know what's permissible, let alone people who've done it in cooperation with several courts.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You may be a slob but you do your job.