main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Working from Home Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 17, 2020.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    If I order online and leave a tip, does it go to the delivery guy or the workers of the restaurant ?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You might not have to worry about it - the service will not be available.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh? I haven't had any problem ordering from Door Dash.

3sm1r likes this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    me neither.

I actually have another practical question. What do you guys use to sign documents online? April is getting closer and I cannot print/scanner my tax returns 'cause I have to stay home.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It supposedly goes to the delivery person, but those services have a history of taking tips from their "independent contractors." The normal non-pandemic workaround would be to tip them in cash.
    For what it's worth the filing deadline has been moved to July. I usually sign my tax returns with a PIN.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Oh, this is something that perhaps I should have known. I'm so glad I asked. Thanks!

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Takeaways are shutting down over here - so, problem solved.

8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Last week, I worked while the calming yet stirring tunes of the Xenoblade Chronicles series soundtracks serenaded my ears (and tried to take my mind off current events).

This week I’m starting the History of Britain podcast. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    this is actually scary. I closed myself at home and I only have pasta/lentils for about two weeks, with very little sauces, so I'm afraid I'll end up eating garlic-oil-chili pepper-spaghetti for quite a while.

Jedi Ben and Luke02 like this.
  10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    8AM, postal services for sending a letter in dematerialized form are already saturated...
    It's the infrastructure, stupid. [face_waiting]

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Agreed.

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    So, since last Monday, I'm on 11 people whose emails I didn't have and who were supposed to be informed by their lawyers that the meeting we were going to have was cancelled, and who ended up looking me up to ask whether their meeting is cancelled... :p

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So, I'm into my second week of working from home. For the first few days, I just worked on my laptop on the kitchen table in my pajamas. Of course, I really didn't get much work done. Too many other things going on. My employers said we could enter the office and take the monitors, keyboards, etc., home to be more productive. I did that last week. It was eerie going to the financial district of San Francisco on a mid-morning Thursday with really no one around at all.

My wife is a nurse and worried about her health. A few days ago she had a sore throat and slight cough and so out of an abundance of caution the hospital she works for sent her home and was instructed to be tested for the coronavirus. She was tested and Saturday and got her results yesterday. Thankfully she tested negative for the virus which is a load off both our shoulders. She may return to work in a few days.

So, I'm set up at home. Now my commute is from the bedroom to the office (formerly guest bedroom). I feel have to be more productive working from home than in the office, so I don't look like I'm slacking. It feels weird to take an hour lunch when I'm at home.

Today, I got out of my pajamas, fixed my hair and dressed the way I would if I were in the office. I turned off the TV, which I have previously on as "white noise" but it was too distracting. I'm trying to get back into my work routine.

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I been listening to music as my white noise @Sith_Sensei__Prime especially Tycho. Helps me relax and focus while working though working right now I am finding to be relaxing at well.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Working from home this week, and I've just had a frustrating hour with Microsoft Teams. Trying to set up a team and uploading files, while only using the web interface (I don't want to download the desktop app or all my work files to my private computer). Also my colleagues are in general not tech savvy at all, so it will be interesting to see if any of them will actually use the team. The lack of tech savvy also means that we don't have a working sharepoint or really any way of handling files together (which also complicate working in teams).

I try to at least get dressed properly before starting to work.

3sm1r likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We are using logmein, which works a treat. Good for you for getting “work” dressed. I got one am not.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I personally do not understand most people's struggles with working from home. I sit in a recliner with my laptop and stay in my pajamas all day when I work from home, yet I get as much or more done than when I'm in the office.

Today our CEO sent out a survey on how to best work from home. I REALLY hope this means he's going to declare that people from both the KC and STL offices should stay home for the duration of this order. I mean, in KC he doesn't have a choice really, but he might go against the order anyway. But I hope for their sake he lets the STL people still work from home.

Again, I don't understand the big deal. Maybe it's because I live alone and don't have kids. But I find working from home infinitely easier and better than wasting my time commuting into the office.

Rew, Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I figure I'm topping out at about 70% productivity at home.

I do take the steps to put me in the right mindset. I get dressed like I'm going into the office. I hug and kiss the kids goodbye. I walk out the front door ... and walk around the block to the back door to simulate a commute, and head downstairs to the home office.

But, my set-up, even with bringing home my extra monitor, docking station, mouse, and keyboard, isn't as ideal as in my office. I don't have three giant whiteboards to work on, I don't have an extra long L-shaped desk to spread out work on and dive into details on, and I'm distracted by the yelling and playing upstairs.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah see all I use at work is my laptop anyway. So it's literally no different for me to work from home. I have fewer interruptions because no coworkers stop into my office to talk to me.

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm actually a good deal more productive, largely owing to not having to answer as many phone calls and as many e-mails...

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm more productive as well. Although I get my work done way ahead of deadline in either case :p

Which makes me all the more annoyed that they won't just let me work from home all the time in the first place. Again, our CEO is the one stopping that - my boss is all for it because she sees how well I work at home.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Conventions! Control! Physical presence! Cats!

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We are allowed to bring our dogs to work if we want... which would be great except my office is the only one without a door. So no, I can't actually bring my dog because she'd just run away and get into things.

Lordban and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I used to get 20-40 emails a day and have 1-3 meetings a day.

Now I have 50-100 emails a day and a teleconference every hour.

25. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Lawyers had been on strike two months prior to the shutdown, slowing all our business... :p

Juliet316 likes this.