main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Working from Home Support Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's my own untidy Parkinsonian scrawl, there really aren't going to be many people capable of deciphering them and know the cues I used to locate what was what, I'm afraid... :p

Better late than never, I suppose o_O

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    He still refused to say "we'll stay at home for the duration of our cities' Stay-at-Home orders'", though. Which is the obvious and easy thing to say. Still don't understand what his deal is.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    The perception of greenbacks walking away? >_<

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But we're in two different offices, meaning we already conduct our meetings and communication through Slack! We have the easiest time of working from home of like... any company.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I did use "perception". The alternate - and considerably less charitable - explanation is that he means to remind his employees he "owns" them.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well we already know that's his POV. Because when I talked to my boss and HR about my anxiety, and how it sometimes just hits me hard on random days and makes it necessary for me to stay home... my boss and HR said, "as far as we're concerned, that's totally fine. Stay home whenever you need to, just let us know."

But then the CEO was told (why exactly I'm not sure... I'm guessing he has some thing with HR where they have to run all orders like this through him first), and he nixed the idea. So what am I supposed to do if I get near panic-attacks and don't feel I can go into the office? Who knows. They never gave me a solution.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It's times like these I rather like working in France... There was a time when I got near panic-attacks or actually got into them, but it was always possible to get paperwork from my GP afterwards to excuse me for the day in a manner that made it impossible to use that against me legally later on, since the paperwork for sick leave gets copied to social security...

Rew likes this.
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, I mean, that's how it legally works in the US under the Americans with Disabilities Act. But who says every employer cares about legality? I was not brought back for a second season on my last show in Hollywood precisely because I had a doctor-approved reason to work from home, and they didn't like it. This was totally illegal, but because employment here is at-will, they can just let you go for no reason at all and claim it had nothing to do with the ADA stuff.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    That's the part where I'm glad to live here, letting go for no reason at all is impossible to do here - it has to be motivated within legally-defined constraints. Only a termination of employment by mutual agreement can do away with motivation.

Rew, Vialco, solojones and 1 other person like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    working from home, day 7. today's highlight (so far) is my getting annoyed with a long strand of hair falling into my face, so i grabbed some scissors and cut off a large chunk of hair. i don't regret it, but this may get out of hand soon.

Sarge, Moll, Blobofat and 2 others like this.
  11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I hate office politics.

Especially when they follow you all the way into confinement.

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sounds like my handwriting!

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Same here.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    As I accidentally kept working until about 7 PM today I was reminded of why I swore to not work at home anymore once I graduated. [face_sigh]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Mine too but I have typed all my notes for years, luckily.

Today I write about mammal bite first aid. Tomorrow, about snake bite first aid. And then... I will officially be caught up on time for the first time in several months! Because I was given 1/3 of a coworker's whole job for those months and told to prioritize that over my own stuff, blah.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Growing a full goatee for the past few weeks since I began working from home. I've contemplated how long I'll keep it and how I'd trim it down to something more bearable. I haven't been used to facial hair since my Sophomore year of college in '97.

Lordban, Luke02 and Blobofat like this.
  17. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    ^ I'm starting to look like I've just been dry-humped by a bear in the 19th century

18. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    I have been working from home for 3 weeks now...my hair is out of control, the study is out of control...basically everything is getting out of control [face_laugh]:_| We were not prepared for working from home so the first week was just lots of setting stuff up to reach a point actual work can be done.

Lordban, Ahsoka's Tano and Blobofat like this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Both of us working from home today for the first time. We are having lots of technical difficulties which is to be expected therefore we were told to just use baby steps these first few days and go from there.

Lordban and Moll like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's great, SJ! If you have any questions about planes or flying, let me know. If I don't know the answer, I should be able to find it. And when we're back in the world again, you should try to find the nearest flight school, most of them have special offers for a first flying lesson pretty cheap. (Sort of a first hit of the addictive drug is free deal.) Then you can learn this cheesy smirk:
    [​IMG]

PCCViking, Lordban, Moll and 3 others like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So on Thursdays we normally have lunch paid for by the company, and the owner comes and hangs out with those of us in KC. So today they paid for us to order lunch and we got on Zoom and had a chat. It was nice to see everyone. And their kids. And their pets :p

22. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    That sounds lovely!

we had a chap retiring last Friday, and we all got onto teams, (about 35 of us) and did a toast for him. It was really nice.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Lordban, solojones, Rew and 2 others like this.
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    There are so many companies/people that are really compassionate. As I said in a another thread this is bringing out some real good in so many people. Not enough IMHO but many people it has brought a lot of good in them.

Day Four of us both working from home. My wife now goes on walks in the early afternoon as she does her phone calls so I can do some video chat. The boys do homework/read while the youngest takes her nap. Will see how long this system holds but defintiely felt like today work the best.

24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Week 4 of confinement is opening here, and the boss has essentially given up on working x)

25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    week 4 for me, and wfh is definitely the best part of this whole Corona affair. don't miss commuting into the office at all.

anakinfansince1983 and Luke02 like this.