main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Worst] Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Dec 15, 2006.

1. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Eric clapton is really great.

2. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clapton.

I'm sorry, but he's just grossly overrated as a guitar player.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No he's not, he's just way more popular than most other guitarists. So he gets a bad rap as others who deserve similar accolades don't seem to get them from the general public.

4. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    He's hugely popular due to his songwriting, and his well known songs. His playing doesn't compare to guys like Beck, McLaughlin, Di Meola, Paco De Lucia, or Allan Holdsworth. Most of their music tends to go way above most people's heads and that's why they're not as popular. Clapton plays more radio friendly songs that can be better accepted by the public and that explains his popularity above guys mentioned above.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Clapton plays a range of styles. You can't dismiss his blues, soul and jazz chops because he also has had some pop and rock chart success during the 70s and 80s.

Just because music 'goes over people's heads' does not automatically mean it is 'good', and radio-friendly does not necessarily mean 'bad'.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Bravo. =D=

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, I wish I could afford to go to Chicago.

Would a Blind Faith reunion include Ginger Baker (assuming he's not raving about what an ass Jack Bruce is) and zombie Rick Grech?

8. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    The thing I admire about Clapton is that he focused on developing perfect vibrato, bends, and precise articulation before trying to "shred" like all those neo-classical idiots. I used to not really care for his blues, but I recently came by a Youtube video of Clapton performing Robert Johnson's "Sweet Home Chicago", and it was brilliant.

The reason so many amatuer "guitarists" are crazy about neo-classical rockers, and give little respect to Clapton is because half of them are too stuck on speed to appreciate the little things.

Things like vibrato, bends, trills, and precision are what separates professional guitarists from amatuers ;)

EDIT: His leads are really smooth, too.

9. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    Two things:

1. Yngwie Malmsteen is known for his vibrato as much as he is known for his sweep picking. He plays on a scalloped fretboard (Concave frets for the sole purpose of improving vibrato and bends, John Mclaughlin and Richie Blackmore have done it as well.) Scalloping also takes away from speed.

2. I feel like those comments may have been directed at me, but I'm not shure. But for the record: None of those guitarists I mentioned above are Neo-Classical players, for the most part they are Jazz and Fusion guitarists. Check some out on YouTube.

10. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    No, I wouldn't direct harsh comments at you, my dear e-brother, I'm just frustrated with neo-classical rockers who pay little attention to precision and the like, and think speed is the most important part of guitar playing.

And for the record, it's commonly excepted that once mastered, scalloped fretboards actually increase speed, because it causes and requires one to touch the string far more lightly.

I've heard Jeff Beck, and I didn't care for his playing. He's not a great songwriter at all. I saw him perform one song that was basically one fingerpicking lick repeated throughout the entire performance.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I take it that YoungAngus agrees with the dog in the picture he posted.

12. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    I think here's the best interpretations of how Neoclassical music should be played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdCFqQEAKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEPcDd62M0&mode=related&search=

But then again, a man like Uli should never be compared to Clapton. Apples/Oranges, both influenced countless guitar players and both played great in their respective genres.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Beck's got killer tone. I love hearing him playing with Clapton as their styles are so different, yet mesh really well together.

Beck & Clapton - Further on up the road (I was hoping for their duet on Cause We've Ended As Lovers)

14. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    I like Clapton a lot, especially his work in Cream, but I feel he's overrated as a guitarist. He isn't "God" or "T3h Gr3atesT EvA!!!11!" He's a very accomplished player, but just gets hyped up a little too much.

Hope I haven't offended any of you Clapton fans though... [face_peace]

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd challenge you to a duel if I had a glove.

16. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    Guitar Duel!!!11!!111

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll play the same four notes, but at different octaves and really fast. :D

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Undoubtedly. You ask any schmuck on the street who the greatest guitar player alive is and they'll likely say Clapton, Page or... Slash.

And he has released plenty of tracks without an emphasis on his guitar work, and that tends to alienate people who listen to him primarily for his instrumental prowess.

But for overall consistency over a long period of time (40+ years) and exploring a range of styles, he's hard to beat.

19. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    Alright, I'll agree with that.

And you're on Guy!

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think he's very underrated as a slide guitarist. In the three tracks ("I Looked Away," "Bell Bottom Blues," and "Keep On Growing") on Layla that Allman did not contribute to, he pulls off some impressive riffs that are comparable to Duane's work on the rest of the album. Cream's "Rollin' and Tumblin'," 461 Ocean Boulevard, and his recent Robert Johnson covers also demonstrate his ability.

21. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    I'll have to check those songs out. Never viewed him as much of a slide player.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, 461's Motherless Children was one inspired song to put into the current tour setlist. :D

23. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    Remember when Cream had that reunion show like a year ago? Are they ever planning on touring or is that it?

And who all watched the Uli vids I posted? [face_mischief]

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That Cream thing is it - a few shows in London, then a few shows more in New York. No plans beyond that.

Source
    The real tragedy is there will now be no chance of a BBM reunion.

25. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    That sucks. Seeing them would have been great.