main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The X-Files] The (Continuing) Event Series!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Oct 12, 2013.

1. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    Watching the premiere right now!!! I am so excited!

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Very entertaining premiere, addressed last season's finale well enough and then :eek:. Can't wait for next weeks episode!

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    It was definitely the best of the "Struggles" so far.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Kind of initially pissed that it's such a massive delay of the cliffhanger of last season, they basically just pushed it back a bunch of episodes. I think Carter realized he set up a lot of questions but without any worthwhile solutions. So this episode felt like a breathless attempt to wipe that all out. That twist at the end is quite icky but anyone who watched season 7 (though I certainly didn't remember it!) would have found it odd that those events had happened with no actual longterm effects.

Chris Carter is kind of just throwing the mythology against the wall and seeing what will stick. That doesn't make for good television, with Scully incapacitated for much of the time and Mulder in a boring car chase. Can't wait to get into the monster of the week episodes which are apparently actually good according to Seppinwall.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's kinda what this show has always done, though.

darthcaedus1138 and TX-20 like this.
  6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Bring back the Super-soldiers. Billy Miles and Knowle Rohrer as stone faced automatons were fun in the later seasons mythology insanity.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I guess that's true but all those twists and turns always felt like they were on the same plane as each other. The CSM
    wanting everyone on earth to be dead except for a chosen few because of global warming (and aliens not wanting the planet because of this) just seems so far out of what the original conspiracy was about in the first place. Everything seemed to spring out of the original plan and there were swerves sure, but it felt like it was part of the same thing.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if the colonization angle was just a distraction left by the CSM like he was talking about before Mulder arrived.

I actually felt these new twists were more organic to the original conspiracy than the attempts of the past season to throw away everything we knew. And much less convoluted (I mean, it's still convoluted- the XF mythology was beyond saving from being convoluted by the 6th season, it just was that much more unecessary).

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Seems like this season will be more CSM heavy, I can't see them putting Skinner on the hook to CSM and putting a divide between Mulder and CSM then not mentioning it again until episode 10. Maybe it'll be something like CSM and Skinner and Reyes in a parking lot in a Monster of the Week episode and CSM is all like "Hey, Mulder looking into this tree monster is messing up my evil plan, go stop it!" "Ugh, fine."

Also I am never a fan of "It was all a dream" and I don't remember how Scully suddenly had crazy visions. also she was bleeping out morse code in her brain wave patterns which is just hilarious. But, yah, X-files is back and they're going deep into just random cases which is the best part.

10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    This guy would have had this conspiracy solved in a season or two
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I agree this was way over the top. What was the point?

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    No idea. Scully is special superpowered? It would only serve as an indication of that. like "she's so powerful she had totally convincing Season 10 Finale vision and can blink out brain morse code." Best I got.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm currently going back through the original series (I'm in season six right now) and I haven't kept up with these new seasons. Have they addressed Scully's immortality? Please say no.

14. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Share your notes. It is really hard to just go right back into a series you started two and a half decades ago. This ain't Cheers where I just have to recall Sam's a successful playboy and Rebecca is not. Although it was a bit convoluted when Coach changed his name to Woody. Was that a Chris Carter episode?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the intent there was that it's the result of their son sending the signal into her brain ("find him" being what she is compelled do to) and they were detecting the receiving transmission vs Scully actually being the transmitter.

Jedi Daniel, TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If Carl is to be believed, she's got that alien science in her.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Um, no, I do believe it was Vince Gilligan. Tithonus where the antagonist was a guy who had "looked away" when death came to claim him as a child and so he missed death and now cannot die. Scully gets shot at the end of the episode and he makes her turn away so he can take her death and finally find rest. Pretty stupid episode. Apparently, all you have to do when you're about to die is look away (?) and then you get to live forever. Whatever. It's only on my mind because I just saw it recently.

And apparently it all came from that amazing line in Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose when Scully asks Peter Boyle how she'll die and he pauses and then just smiles and says, "You don't." It's a great, ambiguous, maybe metaphorical, character development scene for both of them. So, of course, they had to do a dumb thing to make it literal.

BigAl6ft6 and Jester J Binks like this.
  18. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Ooof.

She did get in a joke about it in the Were-Monster episode last year.

19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Anyone catch the latest episode?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I liked it- a bit more action than usual, and the concept was pretty out there but perfectly in tune with The Lone Gunmen. Figuring out the clues was a good bit, too- if brief.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I like Scully flirting her way into Titanpointe.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I like how in the virtual world the Pats never win but when the Lone Gunmen died the Pats weren't a powerhouse so someone who programmed the virtual space really hated the Pats.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tonight’s episode was probably the second strongest of either revival season so far. Some good character moments for the lead and a fun resolution to the threat.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah that was nicely twisted, and surprised it was Chris Carter penned cuz lately his stuff has been overtly chatty mythology entries but this was pretty visceral and the casting of the twins was fantastic.

Promo for next week looks pretty great, only seen it cuz they keep running it during NFL playoffs.

TX-20 likes this.
  25. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    After last weeks lackluster episode, I really enjoyed 'Plus One'. It felt like a first/second season episode, good performances and I didn't expect the twist.

TX-20 likes this.