main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Yoda Arc (6.10-6.13) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 5, 2014.

1. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    What was up with the worms saying "we are the sith"? Are the dark lords of the sith now leaders of a bunch of harmless worms? (intentionally cheeky, but honestly confused).

2. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009

I'm doubtful they were illusions cast by the priestesses. If they aren't actually spirits I was under the impression they were visions formed by Moraband itself. Similar to the Dark Yoda or the Vader Luke confronts on Dagobah.

If they are spirits, I'd assume they are claiming that after passing on one ceases to exist. Those Sith however did not pass on but rather clung to "life" and became impotent spirits.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    8 min 24 secs into Sacrifice: Priestesses: "All the trials you have faced have been our doing."

4. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    So... Sidious and Dooku knew where Yoda was, and that he was completely without protection.

Remind me why everything within 100 miles of the tomb wasn't pounded to a molten paste by a dozen CIS battleships again?

5. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Personally, I'd say you are taking that a bit to literally. The Dark Yoda, for example, seems to have been pretty clearly created by the evil and fear on that specific island.

Plus, I'll admit, the idea that they are Sith Spirits or manifestation created by Moraband is a whole lot more interesting. :p

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My guess - the Sith didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to Moraband and have the Republic and the Jedi uncovering any potential secrets.

The Dark Yoda, just like Yoda's visions in the Dagobah cave, are manifestations of Force and the specters on Moraband could be too. I'm open to that. I think we both can agree that the specters are not alive.

7. Master Kinard

Master Kinard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 30, 2013
    OK so how does the anakin/obi/dooku duel not retcon the dialogue in ROTS?

8. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Oh man that was freaking crazy. So those cousins were telling Yoda they would teach him to retain his identity but only so he could pass it on to Anakin? I notice Anakin heard Qui Gon calling to Yoda when he was in meditation he can already hear him a little bit. So somewhere between this episode and ROTS Anakin learned from Yoda how to retain his identity and kept it hidden from the rest of the council and Obi Wan, or did he learn it afterward from Sidious?

9. WampaSwamp

WampaSwamp Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2011
    Because Anakin was the last one to duel Dooku after Obi wan flung him onto the ship.

10. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Because like the multiple other Anakin/Dooku duels, it's just one of those things you stop caring about.

11. Master Kinard

Master Kinard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 30, 2013
    So they don't attack him together at first?

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's really best not to think about it. Less headaches that way. ;)

Zer0 likes this.
  13. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    No, I think they were referring to Luke. He would pass training on to Luke. "His destiny is to train the one who will save the universe". (paraphrased)

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    How awesome was it when Anakin and Yoda were fighting Sidious together? Loved it!

Togruta and InterestingLurker like this.
  15. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    "He is to teach one that will save the universe from the great imbalance for this the great gift will be his." Hmm I think they mean Anakin when they start talking about repairing an imbalance. Maybe they are trying insure he will be able to teach Anakin even if Yoda dies? The first time I saw it I thought it implied he would have to pass on what he learned to Anakin to bring balance. So does Anakin just automatically get to become a force ghost he doesn't have to learn it or train? Seems it might go against these eps.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  16. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Anakin's power doubles on a regular basis.

The Yoda Arc left me completely and utterly satisfied with The Clone Wars. Some of the best, bravest, most experimental, and most mythic Star Wars ever seen.

Now go watch it again. What are you doing here?

17. WampaSwamp

WampaSwamp Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2011
    At first, but not at the end. Anakin was alone on that one so the dialogue can still work, if a bit awkward.

18. thedarkbeckons

thedarkbeckons Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2013

Well, remember, this wasn't originally to be the end of the show. Had it gone on through Season Eight and the Outer Rim Sieges, chances are Anakin would have fought Dooku at least one more time...

19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    So, are Moraband and Korriban officially the same place? It certainly looked like the Korriban we've seen previously (certainly in the Bioware video games) but the Sith have had more than one home world. Dromund Kaas comes to mind. Assuming it is the same place, has Filoni said anything about the name change? I suspect we'll see some kind of retcon along the lines of Rakata Prime/Lehon with different groups calling the planet by different names.

As for the arc, my only complaint is that the priestesses (Whills...?) were sometimes difficult to hear clearly due to the echo effect put on their voices. It's certainly one of my favourite arcs of the show though and a hell of a way to go out though I do hold a small, likely impossible hope that Netflix will encourage Disney to sanction more episodes. I doubt it, but one can dream.

Original Oatmeal and Cad Bane 66 like this.
  20. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Has anyone considered the ridiculous amount of stuff R2 has seen and hasn't told anyone later on? He's been with everyone on their life changing adventures.

21. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

Of course he has. He'll survive through and witness all of the sequel trilogy too. Why? Because Artoo will tell the tales to the Whills.

22. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008

What Filoni has said is that Moraband essentially is Korriban, just different names for the same planet.

My thoughts on this arc. It became very clear to me that the Yoda arc was used to not only show the background of Force ghosts but also to set up Luke Skywalker as the ultimate hero of the galaxy.

But there's numerous things to look at with the imbalance that exists. First and foremost I find it incredibly ironic that Darth Bane, the founder of the RoT, is included. TCW, and the upcoming Rebels, have gone to great lengths to demolish the Rule of Two.

Ultimately I believe that not only is the Yoda arc the perfect bookend to TCW it will also be seen as the perfect prologue to the Sequel Trilogy.

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    That vision in the Temple before the war.. Jedi Dooku.. Living Qui-Gon.. Anakin and Obi-Wan and all the other Jedi around..

T__T

24. rhoasar

rhoasar Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2014

I was under the impression that, canonically, both C3PO and R2D2 had their memories wiped shortly after the events of Episode III.

I'm not sure how to say spoilers so..... SPOILERS FOLLOW

Also, Rex got blasted with force lightning in Sacrifice; does anyone think he survived?

25. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Wow. Holy hell, this is a brilliant arc! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time watching it through. I won't lie, I absolutely love when Star Wars delves into the spiritual aspects of the Force, and I felt this arc did an excellent job exploring such mysteries while keeping the true nature of the Force extremely mysterious. It reminded me of Mortis, but I thought this was far more epic. Yoda is one of my favorite Jedi in all of SW, and I really loved his fascinating adventures and trials in the final two episodes. The music was beautiful and enthralling, especially with Qui-Gon's and Yoda's themes playing. I'll write a more in-depth review later on, but I want to add some thoughts while they are still very fresh in my mind. MIND = BLOWN!!!!!!!

The Sifo-Dyas mystery unraveling in The Lost One was pretty interesting, and even though there might be minor continuity conflicts (like Valorum still being alive at this time, though that can be rectified with timeline shuffling) and yet another Anakin-Dooku duel (with Obi-Wan joining the fray this time), I thought it was still gripping and suspenseful, if a little bit rushed. Dooku attending to those loose ends personally by unleashing a big can of whoop-ass on the Pykes was quite stunning. This was Darth Tyranus at his most badass, taking on Obi-Wan, Anakin, and an entire legion of Pykes on almost simultaneously, while succeeding in his mission to kill those individuals that knew too much about his secret. Also, Sidious Force-choking Dooku from light-years away was a pretty badass moment, and reminded me of this scene in the novel Darth Plagueis:
    But the last three episodes were the ones that really delved into Force mysteries. Voices didn't disappoint, showing us how Yoda first came to discover Dagobah, a world strong in the Force, and Qui-Gon gives us some fascinating exposition on the nature of the Living Force and Cosmic (Unifying) Force. That dark vision in the Cave of Evil was also suitably foreboding, revealing to Yoda the name of his true enemy but not his identity.

Destiny may well be my favorite episode of the entire show. What a mind-blowing adventure Yoda experiences in his trials through the five Priestesses' hollow Force-wellspring world? Are these images and experiences meant to be taken literally, and if so, can such a strange planet actually exist? I loved Yoda's battle with his Gollum-eque dark side, and his ultimate triumph in conquering and ultimately rejecting his inner darkness to pass his first test. The Priestesses (likely the closest thing we'll ever get to Whills) are also fascinating, each wearing a mask representing Confusion, Joy, Sadness, Anger, and Serenity. The destroyed Temple scene with the dead Jedi and the dying Ahsoka was quite a gut-wrencher ("Will I be one with the Force?"), though I don't interpret it as being Ahsoka's future, but who knows? The temptation Yoda faces after he sees Katooni was one of the most powerful scenes in the entire series, IMO. Seeing a peaceful reality where the Jedi Order was not at war, and where Qui-Gon was still alive and Dooku never turned to the dark side, was utterly awesome. But Yoda passes this trial by rejecting the illusion, and the idyllic moment vanishes.
    I love the Miyazaki imagery!

The finale, Sacrifice, was just as mind-blowing as Destiny, and I absolutely loved how they were faithful to the imagery of Korriban from the EU, even if they chose to rename it to Moraband (thanks Lucas!). The Episode Guide mentions this fact, and notes that Moraband is merely an alternate name for the planet, so easy fix. Yoda facing Sith spirits (dark side illusions or visions conjured by the Priestesses?) was cool, but one of the episode's highlights was definitely Yoda facing off against Darth Bane's fiery spirit, played by none other than Mark Hamill. I sense a possible retcon with Bane's appearance and backstory (like how he came to be buried on Moraband), but his brief appearance is vague enough that one can probably reconcile it with the Bane trilogy of novels. How Yoda vanquishes Bane reminds me a little of how Darth Wyrrrlok defeats Darth Andeddu's spirit in the Legacy comics. The episode's second half and ending were absolutely mind-blowing, with Sidious and Tyranus undergoing some sort of ancient Sith ritual to allow the two to reach out through the Force at Yoda. The Balc tongue is interesting, like the ancient Sith language, and the whole scene is eerie but kinda reminds me of a Pensieve scene in Harry Potter.

Yoda then experiences a lucid vision of he, Anakin and the 501st heading to the Works on Coruscant, where they apparently discover the location of the two Sith Lords. We get an alternate death for Captain Rex, who along with the other troopers gets fried by Tyranus' Force lightning, and vision-Anakin actually defeats Dooku in a duel and beheads the Sith Lord, as in the beginning of RotS. A portent of what's to come. The duel between Yoda and Sidious in the catwalks of the Works was awesome, and it just worked really well. Like at the end of AotC, Yoda must make a choice, and he chooses to save Anakin and sacrifice himself to defeat the Dark Lord of the Sithbut just as he thinks he can reveal the Sith Lord's identity, Sidious' cloak comes away empty. It appears, however, that Yoda has passed this final test, thwarting Sidious' attempt to destroy the Gran Master's spirit.

The ending scene is very powerful. "There is another Skywalker." The theme of hope, which was present at the ending of the RotS novel, is emphasized as Yoda declares that the Light can achieve victory not through the war, but instead through a secret path that no Sith could anticipate.
    Wow. I am definitely going to watch this arc again later on. What a fitting conclusion to TCW, and an absolutely worthy finale to the entire series!