main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Yoda Arc (6.10-6.13) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 5, 2014.

1. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I interpreted it as Anakin would also learn the power to retaining his identity. It does seem to fit in with Anakin becoming a force ghost in ROTJ without and apparent prior training. That said, if that was the case, I would have to wonder why Yoda would tell Luke to kill Anakin/Vader without trying to redeem him first.

On a side note, I hope we do see Qui-Gon training Obi-Wan on screen at some point, whether in a movie or TV show.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It doesn't matter, he hadn't quit the Jedi Order before Maul killed Qui Gon. How stupid it is, to think that he was already a powerful Sith before that, and could use the Light Side of the Force at the same time? Does it make basic sense? In the end of EP I they already thought Maul was the apprentice due to his age.

So it's clear that he was not the master of the two.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Wow...

What an incredibly fun arc with a lot of meat for those of us who enjoy the more spiritual element of SW and the mysteries of the Force.

I'll need to re-watch these episodes and allow myself some time for everything to sink in more fully, but among my first impressions is the thought that this is probably my favorite arc the show has ever produced, and one heck of a note for the series to play out on.

As an aside, I've argued before that Star Wars is by no means an endeavor meant exclusively for children, and using just this arc alone as evidence, I feel comfortable in defying anyone to make the frankly ridiculous claim that TCW is "just a kid's show." Were the events in this story shaped so that the children are able to enjoy it? Learn something from it? Absolutely! But you'll never convince me that the single targeted demographic of the Yoda arc was children alone. Not with the explorations of concepts such as these. George Lucas had something to share here, and I don't believe it was a message meant for the youngest of us, alone.

But that is perhaps a discussion best saved for another time, another forum. Just allow me to say "thank you" to all of the TCW team. Well done.

4. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    So I ended up watching Sacrifice because I couldn't wait months and months to see how it ended. Very cool episode. It raises some questions, though.

Yoda has seen all these visions of things from RoTS, and knows that there is another skywalker, and hints at the end that he understands what he will need to do in the OT (even in the most basic sense). But the Yoda we see in Episode III is troubled, clouded from seeing the future, and depressed. Am I missing/misinterpreting the last scene, or something, because it seems like he wouldn't have been so out-of-the-know in RoTS.

In regards to another skywalker, I'm pretty sure that they are talking about another skywalker (like Luke) rather than another [who can learn the power]...Skywalker, because Yoda repeats the line "there is another...skywalker". To me that implies they are talking about another person named Skywalker.

5. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    They did?

V-2 likes this.
  6. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Nice to see Darth Bane mentioning the rule of two.

Plus, Mark Hamill:p

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In the end of Darth Plagueis, Dooku said he and Obi Wan both thought Maul was the apprentice.

8. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Yoda implied at the end of Sacrifice that there wasn't anything he could do to stop the events from ROTS from happening, assuming he even knew they would happen. I also could have sworn he was told by the Sages that he couldn't speak of anything he heard or saw to anyone else. And besides, just because he saw those visions doesn't mean he wouldn't have been depressed when they actually came to pass.

9. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    If Qui-Gon can't retain a physical shape, how was he able to do so on Mortis? Was it because maybe his appearance wasn't fully a "force ghost" and just a hallucination or because the force was very strong on Mortis due to it being a conduit?

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Maybe because the Force there was strong enough there for him to form a shape.

11. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014

That makes sense. But then he goes on to say to Mace and Obi-Wan that he's found out/ knows about an option the sith do not, and that this could make the jedi prevail not in the clone wars but for all time. So unless I'm misreading it, that's a hint to whatever he's been told about the events of the OT [now I'm more sure than ever it was what "another skywalker" meant, since you can hear TIE fighters, AT-ATs, the Hoth Base siren, and babies crying when "Skywalker" is mentioned. So the question is how much does Yoda know and how does that affect RoTS.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So is this arc before or between the Maul one?

13. Darth Wookiee

Nov 29, 2013
    I will remember this ARC as the Force ARC.

And Slowpokeking which Maul one?

Well it's after Mandalore Maul and before the comic book maul coming out in May.

14. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Vision or not.. FILONI. YOU JUST TOOK AWAY FIVES. YOU CAN'T HAVE REX TOO.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then how did the Republic handle the Mandalore crisis?

16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    True. I believe the option Yoda was referencing was the ability to retain ones identity through the force. If I recall correctly, there was a deleted scene between Yoda and Qui-Gon in ROTS where Qui-Gon tells Yoda that the power to retain ones identity is something the Sith could never achieve. With that power, I would think it would be impossible to truly wipe out the Jedi.

During Order 66 Yoda did seem to be the only Jedi that was aware of what was going on. I didn't catch the montage of sound effects during that scene, but I was only half paying attention. That does seem like it could be Luke and/or Leia though.

This was definitely after the Maul arc. There were references to The Wrong Jedi in it. I think Clovis was the only arc that preceded any Season 5 arcs.

17. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    If this is actually the last we see of the PT.... then this scene seems quite fitting.

[​IMG]

18. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Reminds me of the LOST finale :)

TaradosGon and Embomania like this.
  19. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    That and the Mass Effect: Citadel DLC. The feels are strong with this picture.

20. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I laughed out loud at the scene with Dooku in the Jedi Temple. Just surreal.

Also noticed a bit of Savage's theme was present in the final episode when Yoda arrives on Korrimoraband. Epic win.[face_dancing]

obsidianknight482 likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I ended up watching this arc first, then Clovis, then the Mace/Jar Jar. Haven't watched the Order 66 arc yet. Won't get to it until tomorrow.

But regarding this arc, I think it would have been absolutely brilliant had this show come out prior to ROTS, teasing what was to come (and with Lucas then being able to work ROTS to fit around TCW, rather than the other way around).

And while this arc was still very, very good IMO. Among the best the series, and a fitting ending.

There is the matter of Yoda seeing all this come to pass and how he acts in ROTS. And "the sages told him not to say anything" and "he's still allowed to be sad" just seem like cop out answers. I walked away from this arc believing Yoda to realize the Jedi were hosed and that he needed to lay the groundwork for the next plan (Luke). But between Yoda's attitude in training Luke, and how he acts in ROTS - thinking he's going to take on Palpatine and win, or that removing Palpatine from office would work, etc. - it's just not a neat fit.

Again, I still think it was a very, very good story in its own right, I just wished it fit better with what came next (chronologically).

And I do agree in that I did get a very "LOST" like vibe from that particular scene.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then what happened to the Mandalore crisis? :confused:

23. Darth Wookiee

Nov 29, 2013
    Probably Lom Pyke really did not care about it anymore and left back for home.

24. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    Was it just me or was the preview clip we saw of Yoda escaping the temple with R2 and leaving Coruscant longer than what made the final cut? I thought I recall the preview showing the ship leaving Coruscant space, locking into the hyperdrive ring, and making the jump while in the final cut he flew out of the temple and the next thing you know he is at Dagobah.

Loved the use of character models in this arc. It seems like they threw in every model they spent time building and had laying around in some of those temple vision scenes. Tiplar, that padawan that got killed by Savage on his first mission for Dooku, the younglings from the youngling arc. I think i even saw the random kid playing in the hallway with a lightsaber character model in that temple scene. Even in the non-vision scenes from Voices, you got to see so many council members including some you never saw before. Crazy cameos.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    By a short degree of relevance, I would like to direct the jury's attention to a documentary titled Mythic Journeys, which I bring up for three reasons. 1) It's available on Netflix, so if you're watching TCW you can watch it as well, 2) It features the voices of Mark Hamill and Tim Curry in a series of animated vignettes throughout the documentary, and most importantly 3) the viewpoints that it brings up relate to the thematic elements of this Yoda arc astonishingly. Particularly, the idea that the first step to greater knowledge is knowing you know nothing. If you appreciate the mythological aspects of Star Wars and these episodes, then Mythic Journeys will fascinate you. I've watched it twice. Sorry to sound like a commercial but come on Mark Hamill's in it.

My guess is that they would have gone to commercial break after jumping to hyperspace. Since obviously netflix doesn't have commercials, they probably trimmed it down for pacing's sake.