main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well see they were the bad guys and the planet they blew up was the capital of the good guys. they did say this in the movie.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Whether it makes sense is a separate discussion from whether it was an inspiration, which you said it wasn't except for some imagery. Reparations, disarmament, and economic misery are all part of the Empire's transformation into the FO. So is the stab in the back idea, since the Imperial government surrendered even when it controlled the bulk of civilized space.

If you want to get in a discussion of whether it makes IU sense fine but that's different.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wait, there's also a "stab in the back" thing the movie makes no mention of? "Stab in the back" in the real world was about leftists from the SPD to Communists and-- more importantly to Nazi ideology-- Jews. Who stabbed the Empire in the back according to the First Order mythology? Toydarians?

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Actually... no (but your point is well made).

The blew up the planet-capital of the government supporting the good guys fighting the good fight on the side against the bad guys!

Darth Guy likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    And don't forget the capital rotates now so it's not Coruscant even though it looks almost exactly like it.

6. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Coruscant doesn't rotate? How does it have days and nights?

dp4m, tom and Darth Guy like this.
  7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I just don't believe too much world building exposition is necessary for the ST. We needed it in the OT because that is where the story started. We needed it in PT because the PT was the backstory and also had to give us the fall of the Republic. Between the first six films we see the Republic in all of its splendour fall to the Empire which is ultimately defeated by the Rebel Alliance. Fast forward 30 years and we have a new First Order rise from "the ashes of the Empire" and so the battle between good and evil resumes. Why do we need a film which explains the minutiae of this is beyond me.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's the sense that they were winning/could've won if not for the cowardly civilian government -- there isn't any ethnic or religious group they persecuted, but it's part of why they are more overly militarist. They didn't think they had actually lost.

I get what you're saying, WWI to WWII had a very specific real world context. I know this, we all know this. But it's a well they're drawing from -- I wish they'd picked a different one because the 20th century wars are boring and the Empire was already a Nazi Germany parallel, but there we go. It's a combination of the rise of the Nazis and the second generation Nazis in Argentina.

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Interesting interview with JJ Abrams.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/r...riticism+About+'Star+Wars:+The+Force+Awakens'

He defends himself against claims of regurgitation around the 42 minute mark.
    Bottom line: it's all intentional, and it's not the important aspects of the movie.
    "We inherited Star Wars. The story of history repeating itself was, I believe, an obvious and intentional thing. [...] What was important for me was introducing a brand new chapter; brand new characters, using the relationships that were embracing the history that we know to tell a story that is new. To go backwards to go forwards."

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's worth noting that of all the characters in the film, Leia seems to be the only one aware that it's all happening again. That's probably why she looks so annoyed most of the time. She's like 'The Empire again? Really? ugh." :p

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    of course regurgitation is an important part of the movie. it's the only creative element that abrams brought to the table.

cratylus and Darth Guy like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    From now on I am imagining all your posts are read out by your avatar, and this improves my quality of life significantly.

13. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    He did give us Rey, Finn and Poe and that is good enough for me. Can't say there was a single character in the PT which I cared about or liked at all, except maybe for Darth Maul and Qui-Gon.

Healer_Leona and SuperWatto like this.
  14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Gotta quote more from that JJ interview.
    "To me the important thing was not "what are the bones?", to me it was: meeting new characters, who discover themselves; that they are in a universe that is spiritual, that is optimistic, in a world where you meet people that become your family".

LostOnHoth likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    To me Rey, Poe and Finn's appeal was primarily based on the charisma of the actors who played them. But I guess most other people see it differently.

16. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I don't necessarily see it differently I just think that Lucas seems to suck the charisma out of the actors he directs, which I guess is partly also due to the stupid dialogue.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. slidewhistle

Jul 24, 2015
    That's what Snoke wants you to believe.

Bacon164 likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

See also: Portman, Natalie.

Hayden Whatshisname will still always be:

[​IMG]

20. slidewhistle

Jul 24, 2015
    No, it was the audience what was board.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh come now, Hayden Christensen was commendably awful.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    One could say the same about many beloved characters, couldn't one?

24. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    By the way, why wasn't there any indelible dialogue in this movie? SW (yes, the Prequels included) always had an interesting mixture of good to godawful exchanges and one-liners, but here, like all its facets, the script was distressingly...perfunctory. Neither memorable nor repelling.

PiettsHat likes this.
  25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Ewan mcgregor and Natalie Portman don't have charisma?