main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Blame Lucas for that.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Rerelease? So people are expecting it to actually be gone from theaters by Easter?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, no reason it should be in there by then most likely -- unless they pull it, then rerelease it on 25-Mar for Easter.....

... and to screw with Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice opening on the same day.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My dad, however, does. Soooo... Redubbing? He even uses the phrase "I says" all the time.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Ant-Man is still in theaters here. But we do have fairly large multiplexes, I guess.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is Ant Man still in theaters? Didn't that movie come out last summer? Counting "this" summer as the one most recently passed, I mean.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    .... I just rented Ant-Man on Blu-ray. How is that still in theatres?

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    His theatre has an ant man problem

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    These are very weak arguments ("Ewan is a good actor because I have seen many of his movies." "Ewan is a good actor because I´ have read the Guinness biography").
    One spoke with the accent all the time - on and off-screen - the other does not. And you can tell; Ewan lays it on too thick. It's like Brad Pitt playing an Irishman.

And don't get me started on James Arnold Taylor. He doesn't know the difference between copying and parodying.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Haha, that's been onb for days. I've been saying if Rey is a Skywalker, she better have only girls.

Rew likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    TFA mostly did its job. It made general moviegoers feel great about Star Wars again. It introduced appealing new characters who can carry the saga forward.

I noticed it didn't exactly heal all existing rifts in fandom. It created some new ones. Also, apart from the film itself, Disney created a new one too with the whole EU thing. Not that I have a problem with that. I like a scrappy, argumentative and partially disaffected fandom. It's what it's all about. It compounds and augments the relentless nostalgic power of The Force Awakens.

SuperWatto and yankee8255 like this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    There's one thing, just one, that those great movies you mentioned have that was sorely needed in the PT: great performances. And George dropped the ball there. He is a superb visionary and I'll admit that the PT has some great set pieces, but he should've had some wood-cutting hardware and personnel handy to deal with those massive blocks littering the screen.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... too soon.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What's Rick McCallum doing these days?

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Not soon enough, more like it.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I hear he's taken up writing poetry.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ironically, it's free verse.

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    He´´ is one of two people who retired from LFL after the sale.
    He now has a production company in Prague, where he produces... you guessed it... small art films.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "Yeah, it's great, it's really great, it's going to be so great"

Is all I remember McCallum saying on the making of TPM documentary that the Star Wars official YouTube channel posted.

I recommend watching it. It's really strange... they had no idea what they were embarking on, people are telling Lucas stuff he doesn't want to hear and he's kind of just saying 'well, find a way to do it' (thinking ILM effects people in particular here) and... there's an unbridled enthusiasm at work. Lucas, as a strength and weakness, is very hands on with every aspect of the film to the point where he's directing John Williams. The fault I think in part lies with McCallum, because all he does is agree and praise his boss. He's meant to be the voice of reason and responsibility, but you only see him sucking up.

Watch it though. It's worth it.

Debo likes this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    This is the episode of The Office that never was:

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

That's... Not what I said? I said he was good in these movies. If you don't agree, that's fine, but there's really no other way to characterize my argument than to say "he's a good actor who was good here".

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I agree that McGregor is a good actor, as long as he is allowed to more or less remain himself.

I also agree with ES that McCallum did his job badly. Fooling many of us into believing he did well, while he was at it. But we can still blame Lucas for that; he wouldn't have hired anyone on the level of Gary Kurtz this time around.

25. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    There should have been one clear villain running through the trilogy and that person should have been played by Christopher Lee. From start to finish.