main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    They’d be publicly known as historical rulers of the galaxy. It’s unclear how much this history is common knowledge though.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It took just two decades for the Jedi to pass into legend like the COVID-19 pandemic.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It is very bizarre that this happened even though the Republic era was in the living memory of pretty much every single adult character in the entire OT.

4. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I suppose that it’s a consequence of the “I am your Father” retcon. It only really makes sense if it happened like 50 years ago, and Obi-Wan is like 90 and Vader is like 70.

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why wasn't the gap between the trilogies made longer, anyway? Just literally to murder Padme? She couldn't have survived in hiding for some time?

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I interpret the first movie as presenting a galaxy in which the Jedi gradually declined-- Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Vader being among the last-- and the transition from Republic to Empire was far longer. Or the Jedi were hunted down and near-exterminated long ago and Obi-Wan only ever knew a few other Jedi.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Because Luke and Leia are only 19.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It took nearly as much time for the average resident of the galaxy to have memory of the Jedi fade than it took the citizens of earth to forget that everyone used to wear parachute pants.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, the gap could never be super long because Luke and Leia are basically punk kids in Star Wars and Darth Vader had to be their father. That said I think (and this is just think) that maybe how Lucas originally thought it went down was that the Jedi were a slowly dying and already repressed order by the time Vader turned to the dark side, and maybe when Anakin died he was in his 40s or something. Then things got tighter when Vader = Anakin was decided upon, and then somehow you have to muscle in the Clone Wars and whoops, compressed timeline.

I mean, I’ve seen sloppier. Remember when they tried to claim Batman had four different Robins, three of which aged out of the role, over the course of 10 years? I think that’s technically squint a bit and it still applies canon.

TrandoJedi and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I don’t think it can be made much longer than the ages of Luke and Leia, unless Padme and Vader’s relationship happens after his fall and in between trilogies.

Vader is noted as having been the one to help the Emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi. So the ‘dark times’ can’t be much older than Vader himself.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, but if Padme had survived longer, couldn't she have gotten pregnant with them at a much later date? I agree it would have changed Padme's character or else changed the nature of her and Anakin's relationship, but I'm not sure that's the worst thing imaginable. Say for instance, thirty years after the collapse of the Republic, so that the Empire would have existed for a half century by the time of ANH?

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was talking to a 19/20 year old who was convinced George W Bush was one of the Founding Fathers (and that we invaded Iraq hundreds of years ago).

13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    So the Republic turns into the Empire as Kenobi is a young Jedi in training. The Jedi go into hiding. Vader starts slaughtering Jedi. It takes dozens of years. Yoda trains Obi-Wan in secret. Obi-Wan trains Luke's father. Luke's father and Padme make babies. Vader kills Luke's father.

The Clone Wars as referenced by Kenobi don't seem to fit into this timeline. Maybe Luke's father was 70 years old when Padme bore the children.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No no. I'm thinking that everything happens basically as we see in the PT. Then, in Revenge of the Sith, Padme never goes to confront Vader. She stays by his side, increasingly uncomfortable. Though she grows more withdrawn from him, she doesn't make any definitive break from him. This is probably, at least in part, because she can't. Her connection to him is part of what provides her safety. At some point after several decades, she becomes pregnant and has children. They are birthed successfully and she has some time rearing them through infancy. At some time later, the situation with Anakin becomes untenable and precipitates a situation that ends in her death. Then you have a 19 year gap and the story resumes with ANH as is.

15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    What is it with you and wanting to see weak men want to dominate strong women, @Jabba-wocky? It will never happen in the galaxy far, far away, just as it will never happen in Middle-earth.

Also "several decades" what are you talking about she is already 27 years old! Do you really mean to say Natalie Portman gave birth to twins when she was 50 years old? There may be sound in space, but that is stretching the bounds of credibility.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Crap, I thought that line was in ESB. Well, it can still be interpreted as the Jedi having declined and become scattered Ronin-types even before he came along.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    that’s true, although that would probably be a slight retcon upon what I think is meant by Obi-Wan in ANH.

In any case I like the idea of the Jedi being a decentralised Order, with different Masters leading different temples across the galaxy, and the whole Order only meeting once every so often in a ‘conclave.’ Hopefully they do something like that during the Jedi’s ancient past.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Okay, we're not letting this stand. Sour Ron is a good husband who worked for thousands of years to make sure he was good enough to date her. Just because he doesn't fit your toxic idea of manhood doesn't mean he doesn't love her completely and wouldn't have supported all her dreams and ambitions. Why do you hate their happiness?

Why is that unusual? They can just soak her uterus in bacta or whatever.

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You’ve got a lot of explaining to do putting that image in everyone’s heads Wocky.

SuperWatto likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Soak my eyes and brain in bacta please.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think what Wocky meant to say was “It’s made up sci fi nonsense so age ain’t nothing but a number” but chose to phrase it in a way that makes me want to kill myself.

23. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005

Do the droids have to remove the uterus before soaking it in bacta??

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No that sounds like more of a later Dune novel thing, all that Ix crap.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I would honestly run it as a simultaneous internal/external lavage. Some droids would insert pumps into her abdominal cavity to do the internal wash, while she was would be given a hose to manage herself for the interior wash. Completely removing it from her body would greatly increase the chance of infection and probably require a reconstructive surgery afterwards. This is the much better way to handle things if you think about it.