main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The “death” problem

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by SeparatistFan, Jun 16, 2022.

1. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I know I’m not alone in feeling death has become meaningless in Star Wars. I mean Ashoka, Maul, Boba, Fennec, Sidious, Grand Inquisitor, Reva, Gregor, Cobb Vanth, Echo etc plus they also will probably bring back Ventress at some point with the excuse that she didn’t really die in Dark Disciple due to nightsister magic and trickery (they were close to doing this in Resistance)

At the same time though I feel there is a certain bias at this point in terms of characters they will bring back. I mean at this point given as death is now meaningless I’d be all for them bringing back a load of my favourite Separatist villains - Gunray, Wat Tambor, Poggle, Osi Sobeck, Admiral Trench, Pong Krell etc, but that’d probably never happen because these characters aren’t favourites of the higher ups (Filoni to name one) - even though from what we’ve seen all these characters could have easily survived due to mods or even magic or heck even time travel as that’s now a thing.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    All of it is leading to the greatest moment in Star Wars history when the skeletons of Owen and Beru stand up and start attacking people like Jason and the Argonauts.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's what Skeleton Crew will really be about, it was right in front of us. :eek:

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That series has just jettisoned to the top of my list.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  6. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    Forget the White Walkers. Owen and Beru are the Sand Walkers. During the long days they'll bring the sand everywhere. Sand is coming. And no-one can complain about it, that plot has always been there. While we were mocking Anakin he knew all about it.

7. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    If the Obi-Wan series is any indication Owen in any form is gonna be a saucy fella. He's gonna be the most quotable character in the franchise.

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The one of Cobb Vanth was so gratuitous [face_laugh][face_laugh]

He might never appear again in live action, and they didn't even need him plot-wise. That scene was really like "btw, as a side note, before we close, in case you were wondering, be aware that Cobb Vanth is still alive!"

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    When's Tala coming back?

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Did anyone seriously believe that Cobb had died from a blaster shot to the shoulder? Or, if they've seen Rebels, that Reva actually killed the Grand Inquisitor? Or that Ahsoka had perished on Malachor even though she and Vader are both shown walking away after that explosion? Or that when we saw someone walk up to Fennec's body, she was a goner?

Even if someone did, the number of Star Wars characters who have NOT returned after seemingly dying is far greater than the number of characters who have.
    Also, characters are allowed to be mortally wounded and then pull through. It happens all the time, both in fiction and in real life.

This "death has become meaningless" thing is just not a thing.

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Wow, that sounds like a pretty ******* low bar to clear.

12. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah..this is one one of my biggest gripes with Filoni, despite that I like the man.

Maul's survival takes away from Obi-Wan's assention to knighthood, so to me it didn't work, even though I like tke concept of the Night Sisters.

Ashoka should have died the way George wanted to..I don't believe that her character development merrits all that she's been given by the end of TCW. The fact that she will be at the same level of importance as the Twins by the time her Series is over by tht looks of her overall arc, kida irks me tbh. For Rosario's sake though I'm willing to turn my brain off and finish TCW as well as finally give Rebels in preparation for the series. I like her character in concept and just wish it would be a bit more grounded, rather than her being a writer's pet be so painfully obvious to the viewer.

All the survivals (with the exception of Bobba) kinda take away from Anakin's desperation and determination to save Padmè.

The only reason I can stomach Bobba's is because the theories have been there before I was born and the material supporting it exists way before I got into the fandom; yet he exists for the same reason why Maul does..great clamoring for his character.

And don't get me started on Krell..the fact that the Jedi were vilified to this extent makes me sick to my stomach still..he should not have been treated like the villain of the week in favor of the Clones who are the villains at the end of the day..chip my @$$!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2022
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Krell isn’t bad. It makes sense Jedi would turn to the dark side

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Bold move violating the NDA for Skeleton Crew

15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Krell was definitely bad [face_laugh]

Look at all the terrible things he did.

16. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Death has lost all meaning in the GFFA...and it kills the potential for any real stakes.

17. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    When a character get survive not one, but two lightsabers to the gut, then yes, it has become meaningless (although to be fair this entire can of worms was opened with Darth Maul).

wobbits and TOASTEROVEN like this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe she did actually perish.

In the original timeline, so to speak.

But then Ezra changed it so she doesn't perish now ( at least not on Malachor ).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  19. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    There was no way Filoni was going to let anything happen to his immortal OC waifu.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Just accept the science in a GFFA is so advanced enough for interstellar travel to become possible then it's possible to revive and restore the most terminal wounds.

If mortally wounded was the end then there wouldn't be Darth Vader and without Vader where would SW be?

21. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I give Maul and Ahsoka coming back a pass because they were brought back with a new, GFFA expanding concept in mind. It's not just "OMG fans, look what cool character's back!". Maul's return was linked to a new type of Force-users, his ambitions changed and he became the "sisyphos" archetype of SW. With Ahsoka we got into the world between worlds realm that feels like a continuation of Mortis.

It feels like all the "near deaths" in post 2012 era SW are less storytelling driven than "possible future storytelling" driven. I guess that is why I'm starting to get the feeling I'd like TBOBF and Kenobi TV more had they been feature-length, or even 2 films each. Explore characters in the given story-window, don't drag out their backstory / or resurrect them for the sake of giving them a spin-off later that will finally explore what shouldn't have been saved up in the first place. "Character XYZ will live cause he need him for this other TV show and that video game". Fennec Shand is such a character to me. Great casting choice, interesting costume, but nothing more than a omnipotent badass with no backstory, discernible personality traits, flaws, or arc, though she's been in three shows at this point. And I'm still a little sour over her killed Taun-We off screen (never forget). The fans would have accepted Reva much sooner than Chapter 5, had they devoted some character exploration for her before. But instead they saved it up to keep the big reveal, which was more of a non-twist, wasting a lot of interesting potential, that they're saving up for a Reva spin-off series.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    • We never saw Ahsoka dying, and I never thought for a second that she was dead
    • Maul's survival did not make any sense, I will give you that, but I give a pass because it was the first one, and because of the importance of the character
    • Boba Fett's survival is quite inconsequential, but I also agree that it was unnecessary and also nonsensical
    • Fennec Shand.... yeah, she should have been dead, but the scene where we saw how she survived was cool AF
    • Sidious, I don't even accept his return as canon, somehow it is the worst survival/return of all
    • The Grand Inquisitor, yeap, should have shown it better. He looked as dead as can be lying on the roof. Cheap and eye rolling moment
    • Reva, survived not once but twice after being impaled with a lightsaber. Ridiculous
    • Cobb Vanth, I disagree there, he was clearly shot on the shoulder, didn't even look dead, so that doesn't even qualify as a fake death IMO
    I would say that in general I agree. I think the idea is that dark side users can use the dark side of the Force and fuel themselves with rage and anger to survive in situations where mere mortals would just perish, so I can give a partial excuse in the situations of Maul, Reva and the Grand Inquisitor.

None of them are force users except from Pong Krell, and the way they died doesn't leave a lot of room there for their survival.
    Most of them are nobodies, and I am pretty sure Anakin made sure to dispose of their bodies too, possibly in the lava.
    Let's say that one of the separatists on Mustafar survived temporarily.... how do you escape?
    Sorry but all of those are a reach.

In real life? How so?
    I think that's just not true.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m immune to this problem, if someone cuts off my arm with a lightsaber, I can just simply regrow my arm :p

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    One might make a case for lightsabers to the gut being meaningless, but not death. Reva hasn't survived death, she has just survived.

I think it is. But my point remains the same regardless.