main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TheForce.Net interviews Henry Gilroy... and Dave Filoni !!! (Your questions answered!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You, the denizens of the LACWAC and Literature Forums, submitted the questions, now TF.N has Henry Gilroy's answers- featuring surprise guest Dave Filoni!

TFN: How likely is it that we will see some Mandalorians in The Clone Wars?

Henry: I can?t really answer this question, but I can say that ?DELETED? is always ?DELETED?. So, I guess I am saying the answer is ?DELETED?, but don?t tell Filoni, he?ll kill me for ?DELETED.?

Dave: There are many forces at work in the time of the Clone Wars, make of that what you will...

TFN: It?s well know by now that authors and writers of other Star Wars projects are often given creative ?boundaries.? Assuming this is the case for the new Clone Wars series, were there any surprises to you in terms of what wasn?t off-limits?

Henry: George gave Dave and I a lot of freedom and he didn?t want us to be limited by what the EU had established. In fact, there were times I was really challenged by him to create something new, yet I tried to be true to what came before. On one occasion, I even got in trouble when I tried to be stubbornly true to the OT and he wanted something different. George said about me, ?Henry is too married to the movies.?

Initially, there were things that were off limits by George himself, but as I will go into later, he simply changed his mind and opened up the entire Star Wars Galaxy to ?Dare to be Great!? Initially, that took some re-thinking for Dave and I as we realized that George wanted to get out of the box of what was and push the boundaries of what Star Wars could be. The greatest boundaries we faced were with what we could execute with the limits of the production ? we were a brand new studio remember.

Dave: I?m not sure we really had to think of things as off-limits simply because everything we do, we do right alongside George, but I?m the director as opposed to the writer so maybe I thought of it differently than Henry. I know I imposed restrictions on Henry myself when I could, at least to be careful with the classic characters. Henry and I would get in some great arguments and then George would basically be the ?great Decider? as to what direction to go. We could come up with ideas and present them to him immediately, so there was no concern as to whether or not it ?was? Star Wars. This series at least to George is NOT EU, it is a part of Star Wars as he sees it. I think if anything there was a period where Henry and I had to learn exactly what it took to be a part of George Lucas? Star Wars, and tell the Star Wars story his way. We had to learn how to look at the Galaxy from his point of view and let go of some of what we considered canon after we found out the ideas were only EU. Really we had to ?unlearn what we had learned? and go back to the movies as the defining source material.

TFN: How wide is your net in research for the Clone Wars? In the first five episodes, you?ve covered Expanded Universe planets such as Abregado, Rishi and Bothawui. Do you intend to continue mining the EU for gems, and what tends to catch your attention when you do look at the EU?

Henry: It depends entirely on the story. I always hoped we could see the surface of Bothawui when I wrote the premise for Downfall of a Droid, but there wasn?t budget to visit the planet?s surface. I would use Leland?s maps of the galaxy and utilize the proximity of one planet to another for tactical reasons or a certain character?s race or EU connection. I always tried to be true to the nature of the world and its inhabitants as established in the EU, but for the ?general audience?, they wouldn?t know or care about the details of Abregado, so a lot of that stuff was really put in there for you guys. If I had questions about a certain EU planet or species, I would talk to Leland Chee about it and he was always helpful in keeping me on course.

Dave: I always think of the research you speak of as what I knew about the EU before I took this job. As I stated above, work

2. HGilroy

HGilroy The Clone Wars Writer VIP

Aug 15, 2008
    Since you guys are talking about Vos, I thought I would mention that very early on in the production, I had called John Ostrander to see if he would be interested in writing the first episode that Vos would appear in. This was soon after I started in 2005. However, the producer nixed him as a writer when Jar Jar was cut, primarily because she wanted to go with very experienced tv animation writers early in the production, though she did leave the possibility of it open in the future. That's how Kevin Rubio got the job. I always thought that it was unfortunate John wasn't able to contribute to the series -- in my opinion, he certainly paid his Star Wars dues and his earlier Clone Wars work was definitive for a lot of fans.

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    OMG!!!

Thank you for this interview Henry and Dave. There is so much win in it my head nearly exploded and I'm only halfway through!

For example:

"Quinlan Vos was in an early draft of Bombad Jedi. He was working undercover and actually using his force abilities to make it look like Jar Jar WAS a Jedi. Jar Jar was even fooled himself for a while."

How sweet of an idea! I never realized the limitations of budget on your show and how you could only create one new character per episode. It all makes so much sense and with all the episodes/characters now in the can I can only imagine where this series is going to go! So excited. And I loved how you guys acknowledged the over-use of OT dialogue and that you didn't want to repeat the same stories over and over that have been done before (i.e. Jedi seduced by the dark side). Also, comforting to know that this is all under the watchful eye of George. And I really like that you use the films as your guide, not all the clutter in the EU, but still manage to reference EU stuff for us fans. :)

In the original final draft script of ?Destroy Malevolence?, Captain Panaka was with Padme and captured by Grievous. Grievous brutally murdered Panaka and George really liked how we did it and approved it. But alas, when the producer demanded the script be rewritten ? it was without Panaka. That version also included a lightsaber duel between Plo and Grievous on the exterior of the Malevolence in space that was freakin? awesome ? but don?t get me going! Sigh.

Dave: I did some concept paintings of that fight, Plo even had a different face mask to breath in space.

Hopefully we get to see a Plo/Grevious lightsaber fight in space one day. Plo is my favorite Jedi next to the big three (Anakin, Obi-wan and Yoda). I would also like Panaka to show up and get killed to explain why he isn't around after Episode One.

The "day in the life of a battledroid" episode sounds like a clever idea... and Mandalorians!! Wow, that would be the most amazing thing ever. I could watch an entire season where the Seps hire them and the Jedi (led by Anakin and Obi-wan) defeat them! Please use them and please use them as much as possible... not just for one or two episodes. OMG... that's exactly what I wanted to see in the PT when I first read about the Mandalorias in the Empire Strikes Back novel. I would die to know George's thoughts on them and this story...

Okay, back to the second part of the interview...

4. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Okay, I finished reading the interview. Clearly, you guys get it. :)

Second, thank you for making Grevious a great villain...someone you love to hate. Although he is more fun for me than menacing... whereas Vader was kind of the opposite. But I still love Grevious in your show.

Third, keep using Paul Dini and Rob Coleman please. They are the best (next to both of you, of course). :)

5. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    Epic =D=

Really, thank you so much for this, it shows (if the quality of the episodes doesn't) how much care you put into making this and that you care about the fans, thank you for 200 awesome minutes of entertainment and keep on rocking! [:D]

6. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Just realized, re: Quilan in Bombad Jedi... isn't that what Luke does with Threepio kind of in Jedi to make him look like a God?

Maybe that's why that one was nixed, but in this case I wouldn't have minded seeing a repeat of OT stuff.

Glad to see George taking more of a hands-on approach. Should be interesting to see how it turns out... but wasn't OT (story by Lucas, script by someone else?) so it should be sweet if that's any indication.

7. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks for the awesome interview! That was seriously great.

So Dooku Captured's plot was hatched by Lucas himself? Very interesting! Now I am even more excited to see it. I assume this episode will give us some idea as to where seasons two and three are going.

The info on cut scenes/ideas is really cool to hear too. Dave and Henry, you guys seriously rock.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thanks Henry and Dave, that was an excellent read.

I'm very excited about the various [DELETED] bits, particularly the Obi-Wan episode that had Henry so pumped.

I agree, clearly you guys "get" Star Wars, and we see that in each episode's feedback thread. Everyone is depressed around the LACWAC forum when it's a week of re-runs or no episode. [face_laugh]

It's very, very interesting that Lucas came up with most if not all of the story ideas for Season 2, and as far as the "canon" debate goes, looks like it's just below the films.

9. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I loved hearing insights about Lucas. Sometimes I hear stories about him or I'll read an interview and think he's an out-of-touch crazy billionaire. Other times I'll read stuff and think "wow, what a cool guy". That is hilarious to hear him make fun of Dave for his Plo Koon obsession. The more painful death idea had me laughing out loud. So funny!

I'm really excited to hear that he has taken a more active role in the writing process, but it gives me some pause to hear that he has written literally every story from season 2 onward... Does he really have that many story ideas? You'd think the show would benefit from story ideas from some other writers.

10. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm guessing he isn't breaking every episode, but on some he is just saying things like "I want to see an episode where Dooku and Obi-wan end up trapped on a planet with a hostile force and have to work together to get off alive." And then it is up to Henry and Dave to flesh that out into a full episode.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Okay, gotta give you props, there. That's awesome. :)

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Interesting stuff :) Maybe John will get a chance later on. That said I think that the Jar Jar episode worked really well without Vos clouding the story. Vos needs his own featured episode. Great Job on the series thus far, keep it coming=D=

13. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but aren't these two the producers? Wouldn't they have final artistic discretion?

Are they referring to the actual animation supervisors and their time and budget constraints, and that they didn't have the time to build a Panaka model, or is their somebody from the Cartoon Network who has a measure of artistic input?

My favorite episode so far was probably 'The Lair of Grievous', and so I prefer the stand-alone episodes that seem as though they could exist outside of continuity ('Rookies' would probably be my second-fave, were it not for my ardent disagreement with the CW portrayal of the Clones). These episodes almost feel like 'The Twilight Zone': little vignettes that, if they touch you, you can hold dearly in your memory, but if you don't like them, you just discard them.

Because of this, I also hope that the show is given some narrative freedom and, as they say, isn't beholden to the EU or rigid timelines. I know that lots of TV these days is focused on the meta-worlds (i.e. 'Lost' and 'Heroes') but these shows seem to fizzle out quickly because the continuity constrains the creators and confuses the audience so much. The continuity tail ends up wagging the narrative dog.

14. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Thanks for the interview, guys!! [face_dancing] My little sister and I cannot describe the excitement we feel, rushing to the couch every Friday to watch Clone Wars. It's truly wonderful that, once again, Star Wars has been allowed to continue in such a beautiful light. Whoohoo!! [face_laugh]

15. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I wonder if the scene from the beginning of the movie with Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting over Christophsis in their Jedi Starfighters is from the movie prequel episode?

16. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Vos... no thanks. Ostander... no thanks. His clone wars stuff was a bore... he should stick to Legacy (which, I'm kinda losing interest in, to be honest).

But if you are going to use Vos... keep it to a minimum please. There's so many other cool Jedi out there. I'd much rather see your own creations... like Nahdaar Vebb, who was really interesting.

17. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    I think Ostrander's Clone Wars comics are some of the best. Vos is a great character and I have a feeling he'll be in the show sometime. GL almost put him in ROTS and asked Ostrander to allow him to survive in the comic series, so Lucas will probably want to finally use him.

Movie prequel episode? Hmmm, sounds interesting. Also, I'm wondering what OT planet we'll see. Most likely Bespin or Hoth becaue they would be easiest to model.

I want to see a few character and locations from TFU also. Raxus Prime is too cool to not be used and General Kota and Kasdan Paratus would be perfect characters to explre more. Good thin we got 5 seasons of this, I know I'm really enjoying it.

18. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    The downside about showcasing Quinlan Vos is that it will sort of invite people to assume that the show is tied in with EU continuity (aside from Mara Jade, I think Vos is probably the EU character with the most intense following). So there'll invariably be some fans disgruntled with the character's portrayal as well as the contradictions with the EU material that'll arise. Personally, I'd like the show to branch out more - from both the movies and from the EU - and create new ideas, characters, and stories. (In fact, I'd probably be just as happy if they digressed from the Clone Wars and just explored the creatures and planets in their own rights. In 'Bombad Jedi', Rhodia would've probably been a lot more interesting if they didn't have to shoehorn Padme and a connection to the Clone Wars to it.)

As far as a prequel to the movie.....well, I think it's best for all parties involved to just look the other way, whistle, and stroll along past the movie pretending that it never happened. The CW movie is not exactly one of the proudest achievements of Lucasfilm's.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Vos may be mostly EU, but he was mentioned in ROTS and was almost a part of Order 66, so it makes sense that he'd be towards the top of the list of minor movie characters to develop in the course of the TV show, ala Plo, Kit and Luminara.

As for an OT world- maybe it'd be one we haven't seen before? Dantooine, Kessel, Anoat, Sullust, etc.

20. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Sounds like it may be Hoth according to the plot of this episode,

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trespass

That's if the plot is real.

21. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd have liked the idea of a Dooku episode with him being portrayed as something more than the assumed villain, maybe not a big 'he's so misunderstood' thing, but the villains in the show are very.. plainly bad so far. But I guess there's plenty time for more stories and more characterization. And I hope Ahsoka and Obi-Wan at least get costume changes..
    "Only a diseased mind thinks Plo Koon is the best character."[face_laugh]

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This is a really exciting interview. Well done for setting this up 2 and Garth, and thanks to Henry and Dave for doing this. A really interesting read.=D=

23. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I agree. Thank you for setting this up.

24. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Great point. The show does almost have an anthology feel like the Twilight Zone did, aside from the loose story arcs. It seems to be about half and half.

25. DBrennan3333

Nov 5, 2004
    Thanks for the compliment. But judging from the interview, I think we ought to expect more ham-fisted attempts to shoehorn CW into the actual SW movie storyline. There's repeated talk of some master plan and them rationalizing Jar Jar Ahsoka's existence when it's facially asinine to claim that she would've existed in the same SW universe that Lucas created with the movies.

I'd much rather have them say, "We agree that Ahsoka, Jedi superpowers, clones subsisting in the vacuum of space, and other elements of our show really don't make any sense when compared with the movies. However, the shows are each just fun exercises in where other writers and directors would've taken the SW universe." We could enjoy the show without this fixation on retrofitting everything into the movies, when we all know for a fact that the movies chronologically preceded the show. But whatever.

On another note, in the CW movie, Obi-Wan requests a new Padawan, right? What the heck ever happened to that request?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.