main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Theme of Celebration VI

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by vswader, Jun 5, 2011.

1. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    SO we should actually wait and let the stars of Jedi all get older and not be able to travel. Most of the original cast are starting to get up there in their years and aren't as mobile as they used to be. Kenny Baker will not travel outside the UK. Prowse always has troubles. He's in for yet another hip replacement, Mayhew fell at a con not to long ago and got hurt.
    We don't need to celebrate anything but Star Wars, So you hate the prequels good on you, Others around here love every aspect of Star Wars, Prequels, Originals, Clone Wars, And yes some of us like Jar Jar. I love it all and would drop everything to go to another Celebration. Even on a year that would celebrate the Holiday Special.

2. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Really?? I wouldn't have thought after meeting you at the unofficial pre-CV meeting.:p [face_laugh]

I really think you should still come - even if it turns out to be more of a prequel celebration. Just think of it as being a Star Wars celebration and don't think of it in terms of OT or PT. Just come and enjoy the celebration with fellow fans and spend your time focusing on the parts that intrests you and leave the PT-stuff to others.

3. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm hoping that ROTJ is featured prominently in as much merchandise as possible for C6.

Badges, store items, art prints, promo material, etc.

At least give us the visual feeling of celebrating 30 years of ROTJ.

4. JediG16

JediG16 Jedi Knight

Jul 24, 2010
    Exactly my friend, exactly...100% with ya.

5. JediG16

JediG16 Jedi Knight

Jul 24, 2010

First of all, it is a year not a decade. I'm sure the cast won't drop dead due to an extra year. Second, if they started with celebrating anniversaries, my point is WHY STOP NOW??? Just finish with ROTJ's ann. Thats all I'm saying...Third, being a Star Wars Fan from the beginning, I can tell u that many fan's expectations fell WAY short in regards to the later films. Trust me, not everyone shares ur opinion about the prequels and my delusional PreludeRM, I am really sorry for u if u like the one who will not be named. May the Darkside stop clouding ur vision because lets face it, he is deplorable.

6. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    As much as I was expecting Celebration VI to be in 2013 to celebrate ROTJ, I've just got to live with the fact that it is in 2012. I don't think it would be wise to celebrate ROTJ when it's the 29th anniversary. I believe it's just a change of theme from now on... In my opinion, there could be no specific theme... just celebrate Star Wars. If there needs to be a theme, then I would go for the 35th anniversary of the original Star Wars, the movie that started everything.

On to another note... I have an idea why Reed and Lucasfilm have decided to organize Celebration VI in 2012. I know many of the older cast members have said that Celebration V would be their last appearance or one of the last few... What if they were able to convince Carrie Fisher to return if it is in 2012 rather than 2013? That might be the reason. And I just give her name as an example, because I know she's about to give up attending the conventions.

7. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I bet anything its Darth Mual.

8. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    If it ties into Jedi then I'm thinking Jabba or Palpatine. [face_thinking]

9. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I suspect it'll be a ROTJ theme, if there's any theme at all.

I like the every 2 years plan...agree with what was mentioned earlier, many of our beloved SW stars are aging, we need to act now and keep them coming to Celebrations! :)

Get well soon, Peter Mayhew!

Martha

10. Lord_Archivaria

Lord_Archivaria Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2011
    I agree on both counts. Also, as someone said, its Star Wars. I don't need an excuse to celebrate. The choice of Orlando could've been simply because of the new Star Tours. This begs the question though of what guests they will get if Carrie Fisher stops coming. I have a feeling most of the big stars of the prequels don't want to be associated with them (I'm thinking of Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, and Ewan McGregor). Could be wrong though...

11. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    I believe since it's the 10th anniversary of AOTC and the 29th of ROTJ, they are going to combine them and call it "Revenge of the Attacking Ewok Clones" the logo of the con is going to be Boba Wicket.

Taun We: "Boba, is your father here?"

Boba Wicket: "Yub Yub!"

Just my 2 republic credits....

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    First I should say that the theme is does matter because they'll naturally focus on things related to it more than others. CV was Empire/TCW. There were other things there, but those two things made up of a huge part of it. So if you're interested in one or two big things but not at all in another, then you'll have a harder time of it if they focus on the thing you're not as interested in. You'll still enjoy yourself, but it won't be the same.

Personally I wish they had stuck to the OT anniversary theming and had CVI in 2013, then if they wanted to have them every two years after that it would be fine. Even so, that doesn't mean it can't be a greatly enjoyable experience. Here's what happens in 2013 in order of what I think is most likely to least likely to be the theme (in terms of big things)

1. 3-D Rerelease of TPM
    2. 10th Anniversary of AotC
    3. Last season of Clone Wars and the upcoming live-action series
    4. SW: The Old Republic (released later this year, but it will still be relatively new)

It's very doubtful it will be themed on anything EU related other than TV shows and maybe TOR. Certainly not the books or comics.

Of course, they could throw a curve-ball and not have a theme for this one. That is a possibility, however slight. If this is the case we'll get some of everything, but nothing will be saturated. I don't think this is a very likely thing to happen.

Now, personally I find the 3-D released wholly unnecessary and will not be seeing them. For one thing, my eyesight is impaired so it actually doesn't do anything to enhance it for me anyway. For another, the glasses hurt my eyes after awhile. Finally, it really strikes me as being a blatant milking of the franchise. They didn't need to be converted (Lucas may disagree with me on that, of course; we all know how much he loves technology). So if it's themed on the 3-D releases I simply won't care about the theme at all.

The Episode II anniversary is slightly more interesting to me. It is a milestone, I suppose, but they didn't have one for Episode I (of course, they had CV only a year after it would have been anyway) so I don't know what the chances are. It is a distinct possibility, though. Episode II is my least favorite of the films and I dislike it as a whole (although there are aspects that I like, like Temeura Morrison and the clones and Christopher Lee as Dooku). It's the only one I outright dislike. That said, like I mentioned there are some aspects I enjoyed. I would have some mild interest in this theme.

As for Clone Wars and the live-action show, well I don't watch the former. That could change. I might start going through it well before the convention and greatly enjoy it, although to date I've only seen three or four episodes in season 1, plus the film. If it's Clone Wars themesd I think I might start watching because of that. I'm certainly very interested in the live-action series. I imagine if the theme is the Episode II anniversary it will probably share the spotlight with Clone Wars (which, let's face it, will get a decent showing no matter what).

Finally we have The Old Republic. I doubt this will be the theme. It already has an extremely strong following and it's not yet release, but they have yet to dedicate a con completely to an aspect of the EU. I don't think it will happen this time either. However, it is a big deal, and it has been acknowledged to be one, so there is a slight chance. I do not elect to play TOR, at least not at release, as I'm otherwise occupied with another game which I enjoy and I don't want to play two at once (don't care to, and can't afford it anyway). I am still interested in the story and have recently picked up Fatal Alliance, which I greatly enjoyed. I plan to continue looking into the story aspects, so even if I don't play the game it isn't a complete waste of time for me.

Honestly, I do not expect to be going to CVI next year. I hope to finally go to San Diego Comic Con for the first time (which I've been trying to attend for a few years now), which is both much closer and much cheaper in comparison,

13. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Really Last season? Where did you hear that info. At CV Dave F said they started with a 5 years, but because the show is doing so well they are unlimited until the fans stop watching. So my math says we are only on season 4. Live action series is still a no go because they can't get the price down to film it. When they can make the episodes cheap enough they will start filming.

14. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Ah. Sorry. As I mentioned I don't watch the show or follow it (and STILL think Ahsoka makes no sense in continuity because of Episode III and even if it's worked it was a stupid concept in the beginning, and it's my major reason for not starting to watch it. I have seen a few episodes of seasons 1 and 2 and they weren't enough to hook me on the idea or the show.) so I did not know this had changed. If so then I apologize for making it seem otherwise. I figured it was 5 seasons and season 4 starts this fall, and that season five would start next fall or sooner so it would be the last season. Honestly, I suppose it isn't surprising, but I am irked by it. Why? Because I have heard in the past (this information may be outdated but because it's from right after CV but it was insider information from a source I trust greatly) that George didn't want to have them on at the same time because he didn't want them competing. This makes sense but also means he'll hold off on live-action (which I care about) until Clone Wars is resolved. He was actually going to talk about the live-action show in his Stewart interview (which I did not get to see at the show and still have not seen but know a good deal about what happened) and he decided on the fly to not go into it, which frustrated my source as his company is actually currently in the lead as a choice for doing a lot of the VFX and they already expended time and money on some previsualizations and developing new technology- although this WAS paid for- and it was confirmed he would discuss it, and now they have to wait indefinitely for a major job because he actually decided there that they would delay it). My guy has actually stated- at least as of Fall 2010, and I admit haven't talked to him about this specifically since them, although I do see him at least once a week for other things- that George's intentions are to actually pay for it entirely out of Lucasfilm's pocket with a significant amount coming from his personal finances so he doesn't need to be tied down (I admit this actually worries me because we all know what happens when George has carte blanche' or near to it) and therefore could manage to begin production with the many already existing scripts. Frankly I don't know why he would shelve it unless he wanted to make sure Clone Wars didn't lose money with a competing Star Wars show, especially since they'd almost certainly be on different networks. As someone who doesn't care about Clone Wats and does care about the live-action show, this is rather infuriating.

Yes, I realize I sound mysterious with talks of "my source" and "my guy" and don't give away his identity or that of his company, but please trust I have good reason not to. It's not an NDA, nothing legal like that. It's for personal reasons. This person is close to me (and you may even be able to figure out his relationship to me on your own if you think hard about it) and they asked me not to say anything to anybody and I shouldn't even be talking about this at all, but I've been fit to burst for over a year when it's discussed. So yeah my Clone Wars info is outdated and this might also be but the CV stuff is 100% true and all of the other things were at least true at some point.

15. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    after they announced CIV for 2007 i expected to have CVI be in 2013 in celebration for ROTJ 30th anniversary. Obviously that didnt happen but since i was unable to go to CIV cause it was too far at the time and I was supposed to go to CV and had unexpected changes a few months before that stopped me from going, I'm excited that it's next year. However I still want something ROTJ related, especially after watching it a few weeks ago, it would be great to have some Jabba palace or sail barge themes, very fun. Plus ROTJ is a close to the movies, the story goes on and there's more to Star Wars than the movies but ROTJ is the last actual movie to the story and i think it would be fun to celebrate it with the thousands of fan from all over the world

And tbh I dont think it's fair that ROTJ gets ignored when the other movies got their recognition in their own convention

16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I agree with you. For whatever reason, I was present at Celebration IV and not really mentally present at all for a variety of reasons. My mom and I had gone to the first three together, so it was kind of our thing, and she was always a great sport and we laughed, had fun, she was awesome. She had died just the year before, and my dad came down to Los Angeles where I was living (only 3 blocks from the convention center, which was amazing), but he really doesn't have the patience for that kind of thing. He doesn't follow Star Wars, doesn't care, isn't interested, can't pretend to be interested in things he doesn't care about / like, and all of that kind of left me feeling awkward about it like wondering if I should tell him he can go back to the hotel, and missing my mom being there, etc. I had also quit film school the week before and was unsure what the heck I was doing at the time, so I was very nervous and occupied with lots of thoughts. Then there was the double-edged sword of having a convention quite literally in your backyard, which is that you're totally stoked you can just walk home and you have no travel costs whatsoever not even a taxi ride or paying for parking (amazing!), but at the same time it's not a vacation. You are just at home. It's tougher to motivate yourself and it's not as exciting somehow. You didn't go to the Celebration, it came to you. There's a difference.

That being said, I don't think it was just me personally. I felt the first three had a true purpose and with each one, I was incredibly excited about the upcoming prequel. That excitement really fueled the celebrations for me and made them alive with energy. I felt like the fourth one was this odd between-times Celebration that kind of had nothing new to offer. Sure, the preview clip of Clone Wars was amazing and I was totally excited by that, but that was really about it. We weren't in the Clone Wars series yet, and almost every panel or guest or anything that was going on, I had already seen and done in the first three Celebrations. It was almost like a "catch up" Celebration for fans who hadn't been to any of the previous ones, which is fine, but it left me with kind of an empty feeling about the whole thing. I enjoyed it as always but for me I would have to

17. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    I can't believe people are so hung up on this whole theme/30th anniversary thing like it will make the convention any different. Again, there are more reasons to celebrate STAR WARS than pointing out how old it is. Mainly though, walking around Celebration V, if I didn't know it spotlighting the 30th anniversary of "The Empire Strikes Back", I wouldn't have guessed it. There wasn't really anything overwhelmingly focused on TESB. Heck, there were actually more props and displays from ROTJ. The big TIE Interceptor, the Endor bunker, the two Jabba the Hutt displays. Sure there was a Hoth diorama and an AT-AT and a big Wampa and some panels but to the average visitor, TESB was just a part of SW like everything else and "The Clone Wars" actually seemed the most prominent project being promoted.

18. serenity81

serenity81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2009
    I am hoping to be able to go to this Celebration. Went to the one in Indy and it was awesome.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I say the base ten system is overrated, anyway. Why can't we celebrate the 29th anniversary of RotJ? Most people enjoy turning 29 more than turning 30, which is why some of them do it so many times. I choose to believe the 2012 date symbolizes the saga's eternal youth. Or.......... possibly I'm overanalyzing. ;)

Seriously, the theme of the con doesn't necessarily have to tie in with an anniversary.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well reading the last few emails from Reed I think it's quite clear that there wont be a specific theme, just Star Wars. Maybe there will be a bit of a theme surrounding the merchandise, but we'll see what happens.

21. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    And I'm totally cool with that. :)

22. ksomm814

ksomm814 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    Everyone checkout the main page of starwarscelebration.com. It looks like a theme for the logo has been revealed.

23. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Wonder what went into the decision by Reed to move away from having a character-based logo and going with mostly text instead.

24. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    This talk about the logo got me thinking - what was the logos for Celebration I and II?
    I know the logos from III, IV and V, but a search doesn't turn up any logos from I and II.
    I get a poster from I with Darth Maul and Anakin, but it doesn't look like an actual logo.
    So if anyone could please post pictures of the actual logos from Celebration I and II, then I would very much appreciate it.:)

25. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    My CII Poster and from I remember the theme being was Ep II Anikan/Vader was it.