main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy Theomachy - A Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and Norse Mythology RP

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chanbill5390

chanbill5390 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2007
    Jello Approved, glad to be aboard.

Name: Thoth
    Class: Scribe and Mystic
    Alternate names or epithets: Jehuti, Tahuti, Tehuti, Zehuti, Techu, or Tetu
    Age: I've been on this earth for more millenia than most gods have knowledge of.
    Pantheon: Egyptian
    Favorite city or temple: Hermopolis

Appearance
    http://www.wakeupproject.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=208
    ---Height: The height of a man, who was made in our image.
    ---Eye Color: Black
    ---Hair/Fur Color: Black
    ---Clothing: Old Egyptian style clothing, nothing has ever been more comfortable than Egyptian cotton and fine silks, the extra gold decorations are a nice bonus as well.
    ---Weapons/Armor: The stylus is mightier than the blade of any weapon, and knowing the name of your enemy is just as good as having a hold over their life.
    ---Other: Built like a god...okay so maybe I'm not the most stunning to behold, but my visage still demands respect.

Personality: Very wise, can't be the god of wisdom without it as such I understand the need for humor when the occasion calls for it.
    Habits: Though it may annoy I tend to reveal the knowledge and truth in the most obscure way I can, but you'll get it when you really need it. People learn most when they feel they know nothing.
    Likes: Reading, writing, spreading knowledge and bringing peace and comfort wherever it spreads.
    Dislikes: The forces of chaos that strive to undo all I have done.
    Talents: Wisdom, science, language, and the deepest of secrets.
    Weakness: As I am god of wisdom I frequently fall victim to my own arrogance, also should any discover my true name, they will hold sway over me just as I hold sway over many the same way. The further I am from my people the more vulnerable I become.
    Limitations: I cannot control everything, nor do I know all, I know much, but there are something I shall never know, I am not Ra. Nor am I omnipotent, I am strongest where my people follow my teachings, the further I travel, the weaker I am.
    Special Attributes/Powers: Near endless knowledge, master of secrets and names, if you hold blade to me, I hold your true name against you. I hold great power through the use of magic, though not it's mistress I know it's workings.

Personal Familiar: I enjoy the presence of ibises and baboons. Their combined grace and ingenuity always bring a smile to my face.

Background: Most of Thoth's origins lie in shadows, many claim him to be the son of Ra and his consort Hathor, some claim he was self made from his own sheer consciousness. He is known as the god of wisdom, of the keeper of such hidden knowledge that even Ra and Osiris paled in comparison from time to time. He is the scribe who writes the manes of all people, who holds the knowledge of all that is and was, however his knowledge is not absolute, for all he knows, is what Ra bequeaths to him. He has seen the creation of great things, the rise and fall of empires, the birth of gods and the exile of demons, most of his existence has been spent in the creation of great things, and the founding of the great paths to knowledge, math, science, literature, all which brings knowledge wisdom and power have his influence to thank.

Even when Rome and Greece came to Egypt they paid tribute to him, though they did not realize at the time who he was, they viewed him as their Hermes, or Mercury, and bowed to his wisdom and counsel, as such he lived on even as his brothers and sisters began to fall into obscurity. So long as he lived, so would they, their names forever in his mind, for ever to live on until such time as the old ways would return. He is also the great judge at the end of life, who weighs one's wrong doings against the truth of their souls, those who have been truer find peace and prosperity, those who are wicked are cast into the pit to be feasted upon by beasts. He has played peacekeeper and defender, teacher and guide. When his reign was highest his laws were absolute, his words irrefutable, but the eons have had their toll, and now the powers of old are beginning to fall to the new, but his knowledge and wisdom hold, if alone of

2. chanbill5390

Jul 12, 2007
    IC: Thoth
    Alexandria, Egypt 200 A.D 19th day of Shemu(The Harvest)

The prayers of my people flood me as the Nile flooded not two seasons ago. They cry in pain and agony as the new ruler of the world strikes down all who oppose his beliefs. Septimus, you will pay for the crimes you have committed against the lands of Egypt, the innocent blood you have spilt on its sands. Such blood has not been shed since the years Sakhmet ran wild with thirst, sent out to destroy those ungrateful to the great gifts given to them by Ra. Now I seek to unite those of my brethren that yet remain, your one mistake Septimus Severus, was to allow those Greeks to incorporate their god Hermes into my name, for in so doing they give me the name of your Mercury, and thus I am safe from the death you wish on me.

The Nile is red with blood, but not like in the years of Moses, but in the years of the wars between my long time ally Horus and his dread enemy Set. However such squabbles now are pointless as an even greater threat now looms before us, a mortal who claims himself a god, and who wishes the gods of other lands to either bow to him, or fall at his feet dead. This is beyond our capacity, for we shall neither rise or fall to the commands of one who does not hold his crown by our authority, we of Egypt condemn you Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax Augustus, to a fate far worse than you can ever conceive, and far worse than those you cast down before you, for they will not get the funerary rights granted to those we love, for you have taken forth that grace from them. You shall know their pain in the jaws of Ammut as your soul is thrown hence into the chaos from whence it was forged. For your seeking of blood you will end in blood.

Ra still shines on our land, he is the greatest of our gods, and still the most powerful, though infinitely more ancient, though his eyes are white like the blind, they pierce the flesh, the heart, the mind, and the soul. None can escape his ultimate judgment, for his judgment is passed on through my laws, and all who dwell in this land are subject to them, even you. I am even stronger than I was long ago Septimus, for those who call to me by whatever names they know me by give me strength, and there are many that call to me. I and my brethren stand untied against our destruction, and as hard as you will try to destroy us, the only way you can ever hope to do so, is to destroy me, for I know all their names, and I have too many to know, you cannot defeat me, for you are mortal, and hold no power, only the fear of your own inevitable fate.

After the scribes had finished writing this document they placed it before the throne that they had erected in secret deep in the reeds of the delta, an ibis appeared soon after landing serenely on the seat of the throne before taking on the shape of the ibis headed deity that inspired the message.

"You have done well my children, you risk much by continuing my work, and for this I assure you great happiness in the after life, for right now I can promise naught in this one, and for this I apologize." Thoth said in a somber tone. He took a final look at the scroll, the writing was immaculate, the wording flawless in getting his point across. "You may have even outdone yourselves." he added with a smile, he then reached out his hand, the scroll held tight, it vanished in a flash as a single beam of sun light struck it. "It should find it's way to Septimus in the time it takes Horus to fly between Cairo and Memphis." he added, his ally's speed rivaling that of most deities. "I hope he reads it in full, or else much worse will happen to him, and his accomplishments will fall to naught soon after." he added, his eyes narrowed. "Now I must call together those still strong enough to hold council." with that said he left the physical plane and cast his mind to all who would hear him.

"Gods and goddesses of Egypt, hear me, great pains and great wrongs have been wrought on our people, I shall meet you all in the holy city of Karnak, bring with you what you will, but come no later

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Olympus ? Palace
    Παλλας Αθηναια

As always, her brother arrived with the sound of an army at march. This was no poetic exaggeration, for the armor he wore weighed such that take a dozen men just to carry a single gauntlet. The armor's appearance, as befitting the god wearing it, was fearsome.

Athena had never liked the god of war.

Even now his short words betrayed their mutual dislike, despite his apparant obesiance. Athena had no doubt that he would only serve her as long as she was the strongest--but what Ares had never understood was that she had always been stronger than him. He hated that, being bested by a woman. He would never measure up, and that sort of masculine inadequacy had only two outlets: his endless passion for Aphrodite and his wanton hunger for war, both filthy in equal measure.

Iris would not have called him first. He must have already been on his way to see her, and overheard her conversation with Iris. Some warmth came to her cheeks as she realized that it was possible he'd seen her in a moment of weakness, but she eradicated those thoughts before Ares could rise.

Her brother had never had skill with empathy, or reading people. Such psychology was her domain: the only advantages he sought in war were those related to brute strength.

"We shall await the others: I have called a full council of the gods," she told him formally, with no trace of familial affection in her voice. Let him be sulky if he wished, he would get nothing but coldness from her in return.

TAG: Ares, other Olympians

OOC: Once all the PC Olympians have arrived, I will simulate the arrival of the rest.

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Set or S?? as the Greeks call him
    The House of Set, Oxyrhynchus

The storm was gathering and would soon travel upwards the Bahn Yussuf, the sidearms of the river Nile and met the walls of the city. Sand would search for every hole and every opening to allow it to enter. And the people of Pr-Medjed would welcome the storm with their fear and efforts to keep their world from being devoured by the desert. They would try to keep it as it was. They would try to remain order. And surely they would. But in time, in time the desert would win. Overcome them not in a great show of it´s power but it would besiege and wait. Patient like a spider. Pr-Medjed would fall. And probably only the Greeks and their scrolls - who called this city Oxyrhynchus - would remain.

The blood made it´s way down his finger and dripped from his claws to the ground. The heart had been beating when he had ripped it from the man´s chest. His soul had already left him, by then. It had feeded the most pressing appetites of his gods first. The heart would follow his soul in a show of his power. He raised it above his head, not turning. No still staring at the gathering storm, the lightning and winds. While behind him the followers knelled. The Temple had been created around the gates of the city. Pr-Medjed and it´s great gate to the deserts. The House of Set. He was pleased with the location. Very pleased. A place where the ravaging power of the dunes and sands met the walls of city struggling against their remorseless conquests. A perfect representation of his love and needs. And how they contradicted each other. The love for the Desert, for chaos and decay and his need to live among those lesser mortals who did not understand the glory of the death or the flaws of order. Oxyrhynchus. Indeed usually he preferred the Greek names for places. Having travelled so long into their lands he had learnt to respect their language. Even though for little else.

Set, naked and covered only in the blood of his victim, whose heart he had carved out turned away from the desert. And his followers, still kneeling behind him in the large halls of the House of Set worshipped him. Praised him. whispering prayers they considered relevant or important. He grinned and digested the heart in a single bite, swallowing it, while the blood was still warm. Bathing in the ecstasy of his slaves. Of the mindless fools he allowed to worship him. They had rites and scrolls, ranks and hierarchy. What they did not have was a love for chaos. For true chaos.

The other Gods did dwell in lower Egypt, where the Pharaos lived and the great tmeples worshipped them. Only him and Ra were here. The sun-god as present as always. And occasionally Apep and Amun visited his lands. Only to be cast out by the devourer of souls. He did not tolerate their presence. It made him feel sick.

They sang and gave themselves to the ecstasy of such a perfect ceremony. His worshippers. It was not to his satisfaction. No, instead Set turned and watched the deserts prepare for their attack. A great storm. And as always, he had made it to town just in time to celebrate it. With his needs satisfied, he allowed the men behind him to play with their souls. For now. He would digest one or two of them later.

They wanted to please him, so he would not allow the desert to take him.

Humans. Buying time, was all they were able to do.

Change brought chances. Time brought change. Patience, not his greatest virtue, had now to serve as his strongest ally. He was old, even compared to most of his brothers. But still he grew and so many of them had stopped to. He had needed time to understand why. He had needed insight to deceiver his unique ability to change over time. Then he had understood. He did not truly change. He grew. Like the desert, that was his domain. And like Chaos. Chaos spread. So did he.

He was chaos.

This insight changed everything. even for a God it was a rare occurrence to understand his own nature. The great power came with a lack of insight as great, often. A

5. chanbill5390

Jul 12, 2007
    IC: Thoth
    Great Temple at Karnak, Egypt 200 A.D 20th day of Shemu(The Harvest)

"We care my dear kinsman, because without the faith and belief of our people, we will become no more than that which you command, we will be but sand and dust in the vast void of the cosmos." Thoth said. He was genuinely surprised that Set had chosen to show himself at this council, but was glad that this chaotic force was prudent enough to show his interest in the situation. "The powers of Rome seek to destroy us, and unlike myself who has been combined with their gods, not all of you have, and the new Emperor's campaign to wipe out all who do not convert to his ways will inevitably destroy us, I am safer than most, I can keep your names alive, but I cannot assure your eternal powers." Thoth added looking to his sister, brothers, nephews, nieces, his entire family.

"Rome cannot be allowed to continue its suffocation of our people, or our own divine right to the lands we forged with our own will." Thoth added as he looked back at Seth. "I would prefer it not lead to war, but this mortal has grown near enough in strength to us to be considered a threat, and I know how much you love combat brother. Also, in order to completely destroy him your other talent will be necessary. To remove his name from the world, you will need to unleash your chaos on the lands of Rome." he added, he did not like to unleash this being on Rome, however he was gifted with the knowledge of how to stop him should things grow too out of hand. "Again, you are our last resort Seth, so don't get too excited." he added. "However feel free to reach out and spread some discord among Rome's masses, make them grow displeased with Septimus's reign, it will make things all the easier to remove him from our lands." Thoth added, a small grin on his face, he knew this may be enough to satiate Seth, at least for now, let the embodiment of chaos cause discord to spread and he'll be entertained for a while.

"I would like to know what anyone else thinks we should do, and if you have anything you would like to add Seth, please, feel free to do so." he concluded, he then passed his arms before him in a gesture of opening the council to the other deities in the room.

TAG: Egyptian Pantheon

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Odin
    Valhalla

First to be found was dear brother Loki,
    That fleeting being with sparkling eye.
    His means of speech were ever fluent
    In all the ways that could be deem'd sly.
    His words were sharp and his face seemed long;
    Discomfort (what else?) at being so called,
    Indeed his mind could be plainly seen.
    Allfather's mind? For Loki it stalled.
    What best way to play the fool? The knave?
    His humour began, like notes 'pon the stave.

"Loki! Dear brother, how good of you to come!
    You see, I have been, of late, too quiet
    And tired of all things so divine.
    Such a thing! The mind rebels in riot!
    Or should I say riot and rebel?"
    Let him play the puppeteer and I
    The marionette upon the string.

The plan was set, the pieces made to try
    To trip up the treacherous brother, he
    Who lied. This was the plan, this was the key.

A nod to Tyr with subtle twinkling eye,
    No more given, no clue for the beast-
    Said simply, Loki, the ever-liar-
    For such a word, oh! such a feast!
    "Tyr! Good Tyr, speak free, what news for me?
    You have travelled much, of this I know,
    And more news would you bring my way, good man,
    But enough! Please speak, let thy knowledge flow!"
    The good to one side and standing free,
    The evil on th'other, what reason for he?

Tag: Rilwen, Kev

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    OOC: Ahem, Olympians? I know you're out there...

8. chanbill5390

Jul 12, 2007
    OOC: Same goes to the Egyptians, where did you guys run off to?

9. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    OOC: it appears that Ares is the only faithful Olympian, irony of ironies :p

That said I'll try and get a post in soon, i was waiting for the others but I don't think thats gonna happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.