main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Theories on Leia's Torture

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The___, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Any theories/facts as to what they did to Leia? That little droid didn't look all that threatening. I mean, what was it equipt with... a syringe or something. They tortured her by giving her a chicken pox vaccination? That's pretty weak. I wouldn't have disclosed the location of the rebels either with that weak attempt.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Actually, the probe droid injected some sort of drug into her that caused some sort of severe pain and was supposed to make her loopy so she'd unconsiously tell where the Rebel base was.

Whether it was by lucky, will-power, or a little help from the Force, she made it though without betraying the Rebellion.

3. The___

May 14, 2002
    Aha, a pain-inducing truth serum...

That's still weak. heh.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Not necessarily.

From Star Wars: The visual dictionary, page 42:

Illegal by the laws of the Republic, this interrogation droid is one of the technological horrors concoted behind the curtains of Imperial secrecy. Completely without pity, this nightmare machine sugically exploits every physical and mental point of weakness with flesh peelers, joint cripplers, bone fragmenters, electroshock nerve probes, and other unspeakable devices. It injects drugs to heighten excruciating pain and erase mental resistance while forcing victims to remain concious.

Sounds more than a little painful to me. ;)

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think the truth serum was the main focus of the torture droid.

6. The___

May 14, 2002
    I was only joking about it being "weak"

It's different seeing the droid in the movie, (which was terrifying when I was little) and reading about the terrifying things it was capable of doing. We never get that aspect of the pain it could cause from watching it slowly go after Leia.

But I did want to know what happened. Now I know.

Thanks.

7. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    ...Completely without pity...

What droid ISN'T completely without pity?

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The novel based on the screenplay goes into detail about Leia's thoughts during the scene and what's happening to her. So does the radio version too I believe.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yeah, and don't forget Vader was there during the torture. Being mind-probed with a Sith lord present must be quite the experience.

10. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Sounds worse than Thermodynamics... *shudders profusely*

11. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

[i]Patently illegal in the time of the Republic, torture droid technology was developed and refined by the secretive Imperial Security Bureau.

The IT-O is an amalgam of leading edge medical and assassin droid technology. With bonechilling efficiency, an IT-O can carefully monitor a victim's body functions and analyze physical and chemical weaknesses to exploit. Protruding from its glossy surface are such implements as power shears, a sonic torturer, an electroshock assembly, searing flesh pincers, acid jets and arc emitters.

The IT-O's injection reservoirs can be filled with the latest drugs engineered by Imperial experts, such as Bavo Six and OV600. When Leia Organa underwent her mind probe, she was injected with a powerful mind-alternating hallucinagen that made her very susceptible to suggestion. With mere words from Darth Vader, Leia imagined herself in unbearable pain, though she was not undergoing any physical harm whatsoever. Her uncanny fortitude prevented her from divulging any Alliance secrets during this torment. [/i][hr][/blockquote]

From [b]IT-O[/b]'s Star Wars.com [link=http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/ito/eu.html]Databank Entry[/link]

Not the greatest experience... ;)

12. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    One word:

Ouchy!

13. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    They shot more scenes of Leia being tortured. In Carrie Fisher's own words-one scene in which she was hung upside down.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree with Ousley on this issue.

15. AdmiralOzzal

AdmiralOzzal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Ousley's description is far more frightening than that syringe carrying floating ball . . . 8-}

16. YodasGroove

YodasGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    Sara_Kenobi, you are right about the radio drama. It goes more into what happened behind the scenes between Vader and Leia. What a way to treat your unsuspected daughter! Yikes!

Basically, that droid that comes in with the needle and injects leia with a serum. It enables Vader to hypnotize her or plant suggestions in her mind to tell the truth.

It also enables Vader to give her suggestions in her own mind like 'you are feeling hot' or you're skin now feels like it is burning off the bone' or 'you feel like you're losing your breath' etc, when he wasn't getting the answers he wanted.

He was trying to find out where is the rebel base. Leia was really strong-willed, because even with the serum, she would not give him what he wanted. She was strong-willed indeed. It amazed even Vader and Tarkin, afterwards.

The actress that portrayed Leia in the radio drama was really very good. Brock Peters played Vader and he was good too in this scene, Even as a young adult listening to this when this came out, I was thinking, "Ewwwww, that's more PG-13 type stuff!" He really was hard on her to give up the truth. Brock Peters laid his thing down!!!

But Leia didn't fold. She did scream though! It kinda reminded me of even when one is hypnotised, they wont do anything that is against their morals and principles etc, at least so it's been said.

peace!

17. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    It sounds somewhat similar but yet very unsimilar to the "Embrace of Pain" used by the Yuuzhan Vong in the New Jedi Order series.

Embrace of Pain:
    this was the term used by the Yuuzhan Vong to describe their restraint system used to control slaves. The Embrace of Pain used leather-like, tentacular straps to bind the arms, legs, and torso of a captive. It then administered a constant level of pain to the captive, to remind the captive that it was securely bound. If the captive became too immune to the pain, the Embrace could administer more. If the captive suffered too much, the Embrace could reduce the amount of pain it produced. In this way, a slave could be quickly forced into submission. The Embrace of Pain could also bring a victim to a certain level of pain, just beyond the victim's limit, in order to continually condition the victim. The leather tentacles could tighten automatically if the captive tried to escape, although escape was difficult because the captive was often restrained in an inverse position: feet up in the air, head near the ground

Source

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Ahh, the Embrace isn't so scary.
    Not when you rename it "The Cuddle of Tinglyness" :p

I think Fisher said that they were planning more to show her torture, something about these funky yellow contact lenses she was going to wear and so on, but they scrapped it because they didn't want to push the line too far.

19. The___

May 14, 2002
    When Luke is on Dagobah seeing the vision about Han and Leia being in pain, was it emotional pain, or the physical pain?

I know they tortured Han, but they didn't show if Leia or Chewie was tortured. Maybe the blaring alarm was torture enough for Chewbacca, but they threw Leia in the cell afterward and she didn't look like she got tortured at all.

20. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "Yeah, and don't forget Vader was there during the torture. Being mind-probed with a Sith lord present must be quite the experience."

And you'd probably enjoy it, wouldn't you, DLM? :p

21. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    From ROLLING STONE, issue no. 322, July 24th, 1980: p. 35.
    Carrie Fisher Interview:

...Fisher laments the fact that several exotic scenes never
    made it into either film.
    "In the original script, I was captured, and when Mark
    and Harrison found me, I was hanging upside down with
    yellow eyes, like in THE EXORCIST. They shoulda just
    gotten Linda Blair for it. Some form of radar torture was
    done to me and I was in a beam, bruised and beaten up,
    suspended in midair. The reason it was cut from the film
    was because I was uncoscious and the Wookie[e]
    would have had to carry me for, like, the next fifteen
    minutes. But I loved the idea of having yellow eyes and
    being beaten and carried."

This scene has not been filmed but it was included in the 3rd draft of the script. It is however not in any later script.

22. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Yeah, the droid injects her with a pain-inducing drug, all the while Darth Vader is yelling at her trying to get the location of the base.

I love the radio drama. It told me so much that the movies didn't. :D

23. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    I had always wondered what that droid did for the torture. Now I know finally after so many years. lol [face_laugh]

24. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Sorry to go off topic, but I have a question. What radio dramas?

25. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    It was a drama done on the radio a few years after RotJ, I belive. It was pretty good; Both Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels were in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.