main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Theory: The weapons that burned Owen and Beru Lars down to skeletons were simply blasters, ...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Biel Ductavis, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    not disintegrators or flamethrowers.

Considering that the attack on the homestead was meant to look like being the work of the Tusken, who neither own nor use flamethrowers and especially not disintegrators, and we don't see both kind of weapons in the Sandtroopers arsenal for this mission, the most likely weapon that caused the condition of Owen and Beru's corpses are blasters.

Blasters were shown to be able to turn people into charred corpses a short time later in ANH, when we see Han shoot Greedo in the Mos Eisley cantina. Perhaps another reason for this scene, beside giving him a reason to travel with Obi Wan and Luke to Alderaan.

And why would Sandtroopers, trying to imitate a Tusken raid, give their victims a funeral? We never seen or heard about them doing this anywhere.

And simply burning along with the homestead also doesn't make sense, because the corpses lay outside and not in one of the destroyed rooms of the moisture farm.

So i think highly powered blaster fire from more than one Stormtrooper was the most likely cause for Owen and Beru Lars becoming charred skeletons.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think if disintegrators where used, there would be no skeletons, just ashes. Blasters I dont think would cause a body to completely burn down to a skeleton. It makes me think some incendiary device was used.

SlashMan, rktho and Sarge like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think they were shot inside the dwelling then the stormtroopers set fire to the place but Owen and Beru were still alive and tried to get out but died as they did.

cheerful eh?

4. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I always just assumed the stormtroopers blasted them until they were charred skeletons and then set fire to the homestead.

Decades later (earlier) we see them fire on Aayla Secura AND KEEP FIRING so I assumed she ended up a charred skeleton as well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I can't remember where I read this, but somewhere somebody wrote something about using a blaster on low power to slowly burn the flesh from the victim's bones. Does anyone else remember that?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's in the Han Solo Adventures trilogy in Legends: book one: Han Solo at At Star's End:

“When the Espos came to evict us from our colony world,” she said slowly, “some Trianii tried armed resistance. The Espos were brutal in their interrogation of prisoners, seeking the ringleaders. It was the first time I had seen anyone use The Burning. You know what I refer to, Solo-Captain?”

Han did. The Burning was a torture involving the use of a blaster set at low power, to scorch and sear the flesh off a prisoner, leaving only blood-smeared bone. Usually, a leg would be first, immobilizing the victim; then the rest of the skeleton was exposed, inch by inch. Any other prisoners could be made to watch, to break their will. The Burning seldom failed to obtain answers, if answers were to be had; but in Han’s opinion, no being who employed such methods deserved to live.

“I will not leave my mate in the hands of the kind of people who would do that,” Atuarre was saying. “We are Trianii; death, if it comes to that, is not something we fear.”

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, that's the one. The way it's described, I've always assumed it was describing what happened to Owen and Beru.

8. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    According to Daley, it was meant to explain what happened to Owen and Beru.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    In this case, they wouldn't have been burned so much. There was nothing around them that could have kept the fire alive.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The fat inside a human body can keep a fire alive.

11. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I did not need to read that. Thanks for that, Baz. [face_sick]

But, to the OP, this was an interesting question and it's sad it had to happen.

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Bingo. Another scenario is that they were shot and fell right away, right outside the home. Their corpses were well within range of the flames from the burning homestead. I watched again. They were essentially in the ‘porch’ area of their home.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  13. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    But they wouldn't burn down to skeletons if they were still in a condition to leave the burning area. If the fire was so strong to only leave burned bones as a result, the heat would have killed them, long before they were able to stumble out of the homestead.

And one of the corpses had the arms stretched out, like someone being threatened by a gun.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  14. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Has anyone actually ever asked Pablo Hidalgo about this issue?

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Has anyone considered spontaneous human combustion? Granted, it's rather unlikely that two people would suddenly burst into flames, but maybe they lost the will to live...

16. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Considering it's George, that's possible

BlueYogurt likes this.
  17. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Was it ever actually stated that the attack was meant to look like the work of Tuskens? The Jawa attack was, but if the Lars' homestead was meant to as well, that's only implied, as far as I know. In any case, the Imperials are already shown to be poor imitators of Tusken raiding parties— all they thought to do was ride a few banthas through the scene and scatter a couple gaffi sticks. They don't pepper the area with stray blast points or ride single file, and with a frame job that shoddy, I bet if you looked at the attackers' footprints for half a second you'd see the tread in the sole of their boots.

Also, we've seen in The Book of Boba Fett that Tuskens aren't the only raiders the townsfolk of Tatooine have to deal with. Gangs aplenty roam the sands laying waste to homesteads in similar fashion.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  18. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Yep, even though these gangs weren't invented for Tatooine in 1977, it would make sense in-universe that the stormies faked a biker gang attack on the moisture farm instead of a sandpeople raid.

19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think the Stromtrooopers interrogated / tortured Owen and Beru. They burned their bodies to hide this.

SlashMan, CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m not sure their were biker gangs like that when the Empire and Jabba operated on Tatooine. It was less about protecting the farms and more about Jabba controlling who operated on Tatooine.

21. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Sure there were biker gangs like that. They just all worked for Jabba.

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    By ‘like that’ I mean roving gangs of speeder riding marauders who would raid moister farms at their pleasure.

I’m not aware of any EU stories where Luke and his Skyhoper cruising friends contending with Biker Gangs taking over Toshie Station like we saw on Book of Boba Fett.

And we see on the Mandalorian that raiders showed up for the first time in Cobb Vance’s little one street town only after the events in Return of the Jedi.

This is what really happened to Owen and Beru.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    SlashMan, rktho and Sarge like this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is what happened.

Darth__Lobot and LedReader like this.
  24. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I think Beru left the oven on. Remember she was cooking that cabbage or corn stalk or whatever that was? [face_laugh]

dolphin likes this.
  25. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Flames wouldn't have burnt the bodies like that. Even if they used fire accelerators or sprinkled the bodies with fuel or something like that. The fire couldn't get big or hot enough to reduce them to skeletons. Even a constant stream from flame throwers couldn't do this imho.

There would be more charred flesh on the bones. This was no fire.

Of course it could be explained as a artistical decission by George, possibly to avoid a r-rating, but in-universe this explanation doesn't work.