main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atheism There is no God

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor - April Fools 2014' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There is no God(1). Believing in the supernatural is a sign of immaturity and an underdeveloped mind.(2) Consequently, Christians believe things no rational person could possibly believe.(3) I once met a Christian.(4) He wasn't very smart.(5)

(1)VadersLaMent
    (2)timmoishere
    (3)Moviefan2k4
    (4)Jabbadabbado
    (5)Rogue1-and-a-half

Ramza Edit: This is clearly an Atheism thread and consequently does not warrant a Christianity tag. Furthermore, all citations must be in either MLA or APA format.

ophelia likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I met God once. He changed a big-ass barrel of water into a really nice vat of Pinot Noir. I think he was Italian.

Citation: Giovanni 2: 1-11

Mr. K likes this.
  3. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Can I post "OMG LOL" or whatever you people use to post in yourCommunity forum? Gee, this is so much better. Thanks, Administration.

:rolleyes:

4. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Psalm 14:1: "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good."[1]

How can you go outside, see the beauty and brilliance of nature, and still not believe? God's signature is everywhere, and yet there are those that say it was simply an accident, or chance.

[1]The Holy Bible, King James Version. Cambridge Edition, 1769.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The fool says it in his heart, but the wise man says it out loud.

And "go outside and see what god has done" is a poor argument, in the vein of the flawed god of the gaps argument. Science has shown what causes błue sky, green grass, sunshine, clouds, and everything else in nature that you could think of. No gods required.

6. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    "God of the gaps"? Care to explain that timmoishere?

Also, from Romans 1:20-23:
    "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things."[1]

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Anakin Solo Revanchist I can't help but notice you haven't addressed Jabbadabbado 's assertion that he once met a Christian, upon which I'd argue the crux of his argument hangs. Really, Bible quotations aren't going to get you out of such damning testimony.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Just as declaring something not so doesn't make it not so.

9. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I won't deny there are a LOT of Christians that give a bad name to the rest of us, and Jesus is gonna tell them that He never knew them in the Day of Judgment. My testimony, however, falls between Genesis 1:1 and Revelation 22:21, and my answers will be drawn from within those words.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So you admit he met a Christian? Frankly that leaves you with no rhetorical legs to stand on, it's the principle argument of his whole thesis. Hell, I could probably lock the thread now.

11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Don't you think it's a bit arrogant to presume that you know what Jesus would say to them?

I don't care if people want to believe -- believe whatever you like. As long as you don't ask people to live according to your rules.

12. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    That was never meant to be my argument. And, from what I can see, the crux of his argument is saying I have a deluded mind, not that he once met a Christian.
    Jesus told the disciples that that's what He would say in Matthew 7. It's not my words.

13. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

You have presumed, however, that you've understood them correctly given that you've deployed them here. Which is quite a presumption -- to claim to understand God.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, then, I think you need to read it again. It's pretty obviously "I once met a Christian." Need I remind you of Matthew 2:56? "And Buddy Jesus said: 'If some guy with the username Jabbadabbadoo ever meets a Christian, there is no God. True story. Let's all go buy some brewskis, disciples. Or more like brahciples, amirite?' And there was much beer drinking, and popping of collars, and it was good."

15. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Matthew 7:21-27:
    "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."[1]

I'll leave you to judge whether I've misinterpreted that.

Ramza, Matthew 2 only has 23 verses, and in that chapter, Jesus is 2 years old. It would be another 27 years before He calls the disciples :p

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, but recall the Sermon on the Mount: "And Jesus said, 'Consider the lilly. People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. Now let's go buy some brewskis.'"

17. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    See, it's quite interesting, because what I took out of the passage you posted is that what Jesus cares about most is that people be good to one another rather than making a big fuss over God himself.

Clearly we have different interpretations.

The difference is, I'm not trying to pass my interpretation off as full understanding of an omnipotent, omniscient being.

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Primitive men once thought gods were responsible for wind, rain, earthquakes, storms, sunshine, etc. Now we know what causes those things, so no need for a god to explain them. God resides in the gaps in human knowledge, meaning that as we learn more, the need for a god diminishes.

19. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes but knowing how my car is built and runs does not lessen my opinion of the designers and engineers who came up with it and without whom it would not exist.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yep, the Big Bang, physics and evolution are pretty neat, aren't they? Without the Big Bang, none of the elements needed to form the sun and planets would have gathered in this portion of the universe. Without physics, gravity would have never coalesced those elements into their spherical shapes. Without evolution, life on this planet would have stayed in the simplest form.

It's fun knowing more about the universe than the folks who wrote the Bible did. Being free of superstitions allows one to view the universe how it truly is, rather than how I'd like it to be.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

So if I trip on 'shrooms and see aliens, it's real?

God is a figment of weak imaginations giving depth and appearance to their consensual hallucination.

timmoishere likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Sure, Fire_Ice_Death, you can do that.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I am guessing that you are posting this via a computer, tablet or smartphone? Well, guess what? Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Alan Turing are (or were in the latter two cases) atheists. And Bill Gates has donated more money to charity than just about any other person or group. Is he therefore evil, according to your fiction?

Oh, and I hope you don't use Facebook either. Mark Zuckerberg is an atheist.

I also find it funny how Christians claim their god is loving, and yet you post one of the verses that promotes hate. Irony!

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ramza Edit: There is a minimum one sentence posting rule in the Senate Floor, which a .gif of Ray Comfort holding a banana does not meet. Indeed, Ray Comfort does not meet most of the Senate Floor requirements, and even if he did he'd probably get banned anyway. You might say the ban frequency is bananas, if you were on a different board where such jokes were allowed.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Timmo you are that guy that VLM linked to who spazzes out at Christians, aren't you?