main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Saga There Is Nothing Lost (AU, Allana/OC, Chaos Twins, Sky/Solos, Kessel Run Challenge & other stories)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 16, 2022.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A cliffie. Who is coming? Can he keep a secret?

ViariSkywalker likes this.
  2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    It was just Dorian returning from his ill-fated piano lesson. ;)

Notes: I have a set of ficlets to share with you today! These come courtesy of a prompt from @Mira_Jade, who challenged me to write five ficlets, each between 100 and 500 words, to the following dialogue prompts:

– "This is for you."
    – "Did you see that?"
    – "As you wish."
    – "Who did this?"
    – "Wait for me."​

The first two are exactly 500 words by my count, and the others came in at 499, 412, and 441. (Number 3 was also 500 for while, but I kept tinkering with it. :p)

I Remain Yours

I. “This is for you.”

The stable was empty of people when Allana entered it that morning. She let herself into Fawn’s stall, smiling as the chestnut mare greeted her with a happy neigh, and she leaned in to press a kiss to the horse’s forehead.

“She’s missed you.”

Allana looked up to see Veeran standing just outside the stall, carrying a pail of oats in one hand and a woolen blanket in the other. He set the pail on the ground and took a step forward, draping the blanket over the edge of the stall. Allana glanced around to see if the other servants had returned, but there was no one else.

“I suppose I’ve been rather busy lately,” she replied quietly, combing her fingers through Fawn’s mane. “I didn’t mean to neglect her.”

“She knows.” Veeran leaned against the stall and reached out to the mare; Fawn responded with a soft whinny as she turned to nuzzle his hand. Allana watched the two of them for a moment, marveling at the almost tranquil mood that descended around them, soft and quiet as a veil of freshly-fallen snow. It was much the same as it had been with Briar all those weeks ago.

“I’ve never seen them take to anyone as they do to you.” She paused before adding: “Don’t tell Mr. Bridger I said that.”

Veeran laughed under his breath, and Allana realized it was the first time since he’d arrived here that she’d seen him smile.

“They’re very fond of you,” he said, not quite looking at her. “The horses, I mean. They trust you.”

Allana returned her gaze to Fawn, stroking the mare’s neck. “I hope I’m worthy of that trust. I’m very fond of them as well.” She allowed herself a small smile. “My father used to bring me here all the time when I was little. He said animals were sometimes easier to talk to than people.”

Veeran shrugged. “Talking to people isn’t hard. It’s understanding them that’s difficult.” He reached into his pocket and pulled something out, extending his hand toward her. “This is for you.”

Startled, she glanced down at the folded piece of paper in his hand, then looked up into his eyes – the same pale blue as Dorian’s, set in a face that was very much like his brother’s. It was a bit unnerving, seeing so much that was familiar and cherished in the face of someone she hardly knew, someone who had always seemed to regard her with indifference, and occasionally, hostility. “What is it?” she asked hesitantly.

Veeran took a deep breath, slowly. “Something he wrote for you. He doesn’t know I took it.”

Allana accepted the paper with a tentative hand. “Why?” she murmured.

He looked away again, eyes fixed on Fawn. “I don’t know. Because you deserve to know, I suppose.”

Allana pressed the note to her heart. “Thank you.”

Veeran shook his head. “Don’t thank me, Miss Solo.” He sighed and met her gaze once more. “Please don’t thank me.”

~~

II. “Did you see that?”

Leia found her granddaughter in the library, sitting by an open window with an embroidery hoop held loosely in her hands, her gaze unfocused. She had wondered if the season’s many social engagements were starting to wear on Allana and had thought that excusing her from Winter’s ball might lift her spirits a little. Ever since then, however, her granddaughter had been more withdrawn and melancholy than ever. Leia did not wish to force her aid where it was not wanted, but it pained her to see Allana so distant.

“Sweetheart,” Leia said gently, “are you all right?”

Allana looked away from the window, fingers fidgeting around the edges of the hoop. “I am. I was just getting some air.”

Leia glanced at the open window and withheld a sigh. She had spent many hours in this room, at that very window, in fact. The view of the south garden was particularly lovely, especially in the afternoon, when the shadows all but vanished and the memorials to her son and her father gleamed brilliantly in the sunlight. “You have been spending quite a lot of time indoors lately,” she said.

Allana nodded, picking up her needle as she pretended to study her embroidery. “It’s been very warm.”

Leia crossed the room to join her. “I received a letter from your great-uncle this morning,” she said, hoping to turn the conversation toward happier things. “He says that you are welcome to come a few days earlier than planned. Your great-aunt wishes to show you the sights, and I expect she may want to take you to some of the shops as well.”

Allana looked up from her embroidery, brow slightly furrowed. “But I already have my gown and anything else I might need.”

Leia offered her granddaughter an amused smile. “My darling girl, you must allow your aunt to indulge you a little. That is one of the great joys and privileges of being an aunt, after all.”

Allana pressed her lips together, suppressing what Leia suspected was a smirk. “Is that one of the joys of being a grandmother, too?”

“One of the many, many joys.” Leia leaned forward to place a kiss on top of Allana’s head. “And mind that you never forget it.”

She heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Han entering the library, his face brightening with a lopsided grin as he caught sight of Allana. “Did you see that?” he said, eyes meeting Leia’s. “First smile in weeks!”

Leia sensed rather than saw Allana’s smile widen, and for a moment her presence was warm and content, with only a lingering trace of melancholy. “Come on,” Leia said, reaching her arms out toward her granddaughter. “Come take a ride with us. You grandfather has promised not to drive too slowly this time.”

Allana allowed Leia to pull her up. “Don’t you mean he’s promised not to drive too quickly?”

Han looped an arm through Leia’s and grinned. “Now what kind of fun would that be?”

~~

III. “As you wish.”

He saw her for only a few moments when he entered the south garden. One of the library windows was open, and she sat by it, her face in profile as she spoke to someone out of view inside the house.

He knew it was selfish to want to hold on to her, even now, even knowing how badly it would end. He knew it was selfish to look upon her and imagine how things might have gone differently if they hadn’t been interrupted that night, but he couldn’t help it. He couldn’t put her out of his mind no matter how hard he tried.

But that was a lie, wasn’t it? How hard had he really tried, after all? He wrote to her on any spare scrap of parchment he could find, messages he knew she would never read; and he looked for her everywhere he went, to the point of distraction. He didn’t want her out of his mind, any more than he wanted her out of his heart or his dreams or…

She stood up suddenly, jarring him from his reverie, and then she disappeared from view. He released a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding.

“Oi, Starskip! Off in dreamland again?”

Dorian lowered his gaze from the window and steadied himself before looking over his shoulder. Mr. Wolffe stood by the hedgerow, hands on his hips, his expression more amused than irritated.

“You won’t have much luck trimming the hedges from there, lad.” The older man held a hand to his brow and squinted up at the house. “What were you staring at?”

He glanced up at the window again. “I saw a robin on the windowsill.”

“A robin? You don’t say. You suppose he wanted in for some tea?” Mr. Wolffe chuckled at his own joke.

Dorian shrugged. “Maybe he was hoping to hear a song.”

Mr. Wolffe shook his head. “What did I say, eh? Dreamland. Maybe you’ve been out in the sun too long.” The older man pulled out a handkerchief and wiped sweat from his face. “Don’t forget there’s still the south lawn to take care of, when you’re finished here. Then you can help Kohr in the greenhouse.”

“Yes, Mr. Wolffe.”

“Wouldn’t be surprised if supper runs late tonight. They’re all in a panic downstairs. Upstairs, too, I’d wager.”

“Why’s that?”

“Oh, I heard the young miss might be leaving for London earlier than expected.”

Dorian acknowledged this news with a nod. He knew Allana was glad to be visiting her uncle and aunt, even if she wasn’t particularly looking forward to the ball itself. He certainly hadn’t helped there, had he? What he wouldn’t give to fix what he’d done, and see her truly happy again.

“Oh, Her Ladyship asked for some flowers, for Miss Solo to take with her. Primrose and lavender and the like. Be a good lad and gather those up when you’re done?”

Dorian bowed his head to hide his smile. “As you wish.”

~~

IV. “Who did this?”

Mr. Goldenrod stopped short as he entered the servants’ hall, eyes widening in horror at the state of disarray that greeted him. The dining table and all its chairs had been pushed up against the wall, leaving a wide open space in the middle of the room; but that was hardly the most egregious offense he was forced to bear witness to, for spinning about the room – in a proximity that was nothing short of indecent – were two of the housemaids and two of the footmen.

“Who did this?” Mr. Goldenrod cried out, all but losing the battle to keep his voice at an even pitch.

The dancing couples abruptly ceased, their faces flushed as they broke away from one another and bowed their heads in shame. Mr. Goldenrod noticed one of the footmen, Geridan, glance off to one side, where another maid and two of the groundskeeping staff sat watching.

“We didn’t mean any harm, Mr. Goldenrod,” Geridan said quickly. “We were just having some fun.”

“Yes, well… I’ll thank you to have fun on your own time.” Mr. Goldenrod looked at each of the guilty parties and raised both eyebrows. “That’s quite enough from all of you; please return to your duties.”

The maids and footmen scrambled to obey, but their audience was slower to follow. Mr. Goldenrod eyed the servants sitting across the room. “Mr. Kohr,” he said, addressing the gardener on the left, “don’t you have work to do? The kitchen doesn’t supply itself.”

“Yes, Mr. Goldenrod.” Kohr stood swiftly, and the remaining maid followed after him, leaving the other gardener behind. Mr. Goldenrod turned his attention to the dark-haired young man still sitting in the corner, and frowned.

“Mr. Starskip. I cannot imagine your duties require you to spend any significant amount of time in the servants’ hall. Unless Mr. Wolffe thinks you would be better served watching the waltz than in tending to the gardens?”

The young man shook his head and slowly rose to his feet. “No, sir,” he said in a quiet voice, collecting his cap and his satchel.

Mr. Goldenrod watched the gardener leave, then drew himself up to full height and let out a long-suffering sigh. He looked around the room at the disorder that the other servants had left behind, realizing that there was no one left to clean it up, and he sighed again.

“Such is my lot in life,” he said wearily. “I seem to be made to suffer.”

~~

V. “Wait for me.”

“Going somewhere?”

Dorian didn’t look up as he pulled the knapsack out from under his bed. “London,” he replied as he stood.

Veeran’s laugh was short and brittle, and Dorian could feel his brother’s eyes boring into the back of his head. “How are you planning to go to London when we have work to do here?”

He crossed the room and opened the bottom drawer of the chest Veeran was standing next to, rifling through its contents. “I asked for a few days off.”

“Right. And what excuse did you give them?”

“Said I’m going to a funeral.”

“A funeral? For who? They know we don’t have any family.”

Dorian gestured vaguely in the air. “Mrs. Porter.”

Veeran stared back at him and crossed his arms over his chest. “Mrs. Porter?”

Dorian shrugged and finished stuffing his belongings into the sack. “You know, the lady from the mill who took us in because we reminded her of her sons.”

Veeran stood there in silence, working his jaw for several seconds, and Dorian waited for him to finish turning the information over in his mind. Finally, his twin took a steadying breath and glared at him.

“You’re insane, you know that? Making up a dead woman to get a few days off. Fairly certain that’s a sin.”

“We’ve done worse.”

“Doesn’t make this any less wrong. Or any less insane.” Veeran leaned back against the wall and propped his elbow on top of the chest of drawers. “I don’t suppose there actually is a recently deceased Mrs. Porter in London?”

Dorian slung his bag over his shoulder and smirked. “Now you’re giving me too much credit.”

“What if they check your story?”

“They won’t.”

“I suppose you expect me to cover for you?”

Dorian shrugged again. “I was actually hoping you’d come with me.”

“To London. For the fake funeral of a fake woman whose fake sons we reminded her of.”

“It would help sell the story if you came with me.”

Veeran took a step toward Dorian, shaking his head. “You’re out of your mind,” he said, quieter than before.

Dorian tilted his head to one side. “I guess I am.” He brushed past Veeran and opened the door, stepping out into the narrow corridor. “I’ll be back in a few days.”

He was nearly to the stairs when Veeran called out after him: “Wait.

Dorian stopped and looked back over his shoulder, suppressing the urge to smirk at his twin. Veeran stood halfway in the corridor, and he heaved a sigh that struck Dorian as equal parts frustrated and resigned.

“Wait for me, you lunatic. I need to pack.”

~~

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @ViariSkywalker -- the 50 sentences!!!! =D= Like any other yummy morsel they leave you tantalized and longing for more! [face_dancing] =D= SQUEE! over the warm fuzzies and the teasing! The Earl of Vader no less! [face_rofl] [face_mischief] I love the L/M scenes and the whole Skywalker family togetherness vibe. :cool:
    The 5 ficlets ... loved the scene in the stable. How true it is that understanding human communication is the tricky part. :p And I'm glad Allana's mood lifted. Yup, driving slow is no fun! [face_shhh]

ViariSkywalker likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the two brothers in this and their observations and scheming

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    VIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! HOW DID I NEVER FINISH LEAVING FEEDBACK HERE????

Obviously, I knew at one point, because I left likes, but I honest to goodness forgot all about your last two entries entirely. (I blocked most of June from my mind, and it looks like I was too successful, which I apologize for. :oops:) So I can't tell you how excited I was to rediscover these! I just adore these characters and this particular AU, especially, so without any further delay . . .

I loved the imagery of being woken by the sunlight and the church bells. It felt so quintessentially Regency. And it goes hand in hand with Veeran being a morning person. I can see him falling asleep deeply and easily no matter the chaos of the day, if only just because he needs to sleep and it's time to sleep, so he's going to sleep. But of course, thoughts of Dorian are enough to keep him awake.

You really have a knack for conveying the most horrifying ideas with just a few well-chosen words, my goodness. [face_hypnotized]

Oh, Veeran. =(( The growing frenzy of his thoughts and his panic was so well-built through your prose and heartbreaking for being so. Of course he's latched onto this safe haven they've found and doesn't want to see it lost. What's waiting for them, elsewise? Oh, but that's a sad, terrible thought to consider!

It's fascinating, as always, how Veeran finds comfort in his romantic pursuits, so to speak. It's a way to grasp onto something good and claim what little but of human connection and companionship he can in a life that's sadly bereft of both. That Allana is a passing fancy is always an interesting idea, too, and how he views his brother's relationship with her is all sorts of complicated and messy and intriguing for being so. [face_thinking]

=(( =(( =((

Again, you built your prose up to this point so well! [face_hypnotized] :_| =(( I want all of the happiness for Veeran, especially in this 'verse, I really do! TELL ME HE GETS ALL OF THE HAPPINESS, VI, TEEEEELL ME!!!

=(( :_| =(( :_|

And then out came the ninjas with their onions!

Veeran isn't giving himself enough credit, though that's only understandable. Yet, what's a shield if not a blunt tool? He's capable of so much good, he feels so deeply, and I just want all of the good in return for him, too. [face_love]

I will never be over the Allana and the horses and the Starskips and the horses in this 'verse. Never, I say! [face_love]

So much said without speaking anything plainly, once again. [face_mischief]

VEERAN AND THE HORSES, VI, VEERAN AND THE HORSES EQUALS HAPPINESS FOR MY HEART, YES IT DOES!!!! (I thought of recommending Fawn and Briar for the OC ABC thread, even. They are totally and completely their own characters, and I am thoroughly invested in their happiness now, too. ;))

SO. MUCH. SAID. [face_hypnotized] =D=

I just adored this reference to Jacen and his connection to animals, too, and his sharing that love with Allana, and Viiiii, again, this one sentence had my heart doing all sorts of flips and flops for the feelings, so many feelings! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

FAIR.

I loved this bit of contrast and comparison. =D=

Oh, Veeran. You softy, you. [face_love]

=((!

I love the memorials in the garden more than I can say, again. [face_love]

INDEED, IT IS! :D [face_love]

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]!!!

YAAAAAAAS, FOR ALL OF THE SOLO FAMILY FEELS!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

[face_laugh]! Han, never change. [face_love]

These two ridiculous romantics. :p

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] I feel like this is a passage Marianne would heartily approve of. :p

SO REGENCY!!! Also, once again, Wolfe as the gardener is so perfect that I just can't stand it, and I may need to borrow that detail for my Song!verse stories someday, too. [face_whistling] [face_batting]

So Regency, again. :p Oh, I can only imagine!

Dorian would mind no task more. [face_mischief]

[face_rofl] [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

PERFECT USE OF THE PROMPT IS PERFECT!!! Oh, but the mayhem and indecency are just not to be borne! [face_laugh]

Threepio has slipped into such a Mr. Carson-esque role that it's perfect. :p

[face_rofl] [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

ALL THE GOLD STARS!!!

How you manage to give your readers whiplash from going from humor to angst and then back again is another hallmark of your writing, and I'm not sure I always approve. :p

Of course, that's the only reason he wants him to come along. My heart just twisted here!

Brotherly love, at its finest!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Again, I can't tell you how much I just adore this 'verse, and how heartily I hope to see more from it soon. [face_mischief] [face_batting] [face_love]

=D= [:D]

Gabri_Jade and ViariSkywalker like this.
  6. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

Mira_Jade and ViariSkywalker like this.