main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8 Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    At least replaying cups works towards getting 5,000 coins (or in the original Wii U version, 10,000, gulp) for that sweet gold glider. :p

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

SMW2: Yoshi's Island course is the new track for the next wave- and we're getting Birdo added as a character (multi-color ala Yoshi and Shy Guy). And give that the player screen will ultimately need to be evened out, that can only mean we'll be getting more characters in later waves...

darth-sinister and Rew like this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Hopefully Petey Piranha, he's a blast to play in Tour. Really the only heavyweight I'll rock.

Always loved the idea of piranha plants on courses not attacking him on purpose lol

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That'd be a fun idea but I doubt they'd unbalance the console game by adding a character with a unique ability. Not without going full-on Double Dash.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The Yoshi’s Island sound effects are a neat touch, and the new path opening up after hitting the flying question mark looked really cool. I’m not a YI fan by any means, but I’m excited for this track.

6. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Birdo coming to the game is some great Double Dash love. Now get us some courses from it on the Booster Course Pass, Nintendo!

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think there are 5 or 6 DD courses already in the game, and maybe 1-3 others that were effectively substituted by other levels in later games.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  8. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    Only four. Dry Dry Desert and Sherbet Land from the base game, and Yoshi Circuit and Baby Park from the WiiUs crossover expansions.
    Either way, every other game has seen representation with the waves we've had. I'm hoping we can see at least two more Double Dash tracks added to the overall roster before such additions are concluded.

And since I like numbers, I've taken a look to see just how much representation each previous game has across all tracks. And it's a lot more even than you would first think.

SNES [3] / N64 [6] / GBA [6] / GCN [4] / DS [6] / Wii [6] / 3DS [7]

With 24 tracks still to go across these last three waves, with 9 of them being Tour tracks, that's a spread of 15 tracks to allocate. SNES representation is likely to continue to suffer. I'd say there's only one more track coming from it. But all the rest can easily get two more tracks each. Leaving two left. I'll gift an extra to the Gamecube, and another to the Wii. If true, the full tally of game representation ends at:

SNES [4] / N64 [8] / GBA [8] / GCN [6] / DS [8] / Wii [9] / 3DS [9]

Just what tracks those are is anyone's guess, but one thing that is almost certain is that we'll get another Rainbow Road to end Wave 6. I can only hope at least one of those tracks is a Boswer's Castle, as this is the least representation of that staple track since Double Dash.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, when I tried to do a full rundown of all the tracks and which ones are left over, it can be tricky to track. You have semi-remake tracks, numbered SNES alts that aren't that different, GBA tracks that are only mildly different from their SNES predecessors, etc. But you figure that courses previously rendered in 3D will get priority, which pushes SNES and GBA titles back to limited representation even further since they would need the most work to update.

But the similarity issue affects all tracks. Would they do another Bowser's Castle in favor of a track that is more different than tracks already in MK8D? Even if BC on GCN is unique.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  10. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    Anything in Tour is likely to be coming to 8 Deluxe. The GBA tracks in Tour have seen such a massive makeover, which is why I think we're still seeing them come to 8 Deluxe. Meanwhile, SNES tracks are recreated to be faithful, so it makes less sense to add those over tracks from other games. As for uniqueness, I think that only counts for new additions rather than anything previously already in the game. We're at a point now where there's so many tracks already in the game that trying to be unique with all new additions is going to be impossible. At least in terms of themes.

It's likely one of the GBA Bowser Castle's will be within Wave 4 while one of the console Bowser's Castle's will be in Wave 6, along with a second Rainbow Road. As for others, I can only guess based on my personal preferences and those tracks that are in Tour. Of course, basing it off what's in Tour is a bit difficult considering that game is still getting new additions.

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The only thing left from SNES that I'd like to see in MK8D is a Bowser's Castle course. I remember thinking those were neat when playing the original Super Mario Kart back in the day.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    The SNES ones would be cool to see, but they're not in Tour. Hopefully they get added this year so at least one has a chance of coming to 8 Deluxe.

13. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Have any of you tried adding each other to each other friends list and playing online together?

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    New characters in addition to new courses?
    Wow

At this rate, is there any point in even making a new Mario Kart game? 8 basically has everything

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They will eventually, once the next console comes out.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If they have new game mechanics that MK8 doesn't, then a new game would be warranted (on top of tech advances). MK9 is probably already made, sitting on the shelf while MK8 continues to be a top 10 selling title every month, ready to be tweaked and released as a launch (or near-launch) title for the next system (or system upgrade model).

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wave 4- BAM! March 9th!

Apple Cup:
    -Tour Amsterdam Drift
    -GBA Riverside Park
    -Wii DK Summit
    -NS Yoshi's Island

Boomerang Cup:
    -Tour Bangkok Rush
    -DS Mario Circuit
    -GCN Waluigi Stadium
    -Tour Singapore Speedway

We still have 16 more courses to go!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Reynar_Tedros and LloydChristmas like this.
  18. DarkRula

Feb 3, 2015
    Waluigi Stadium looks so good! And Riverside Park is lovely. But Mario Circuit? Where's the Bowser's Castles!

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As much as I fully champion SNES tracks, we need all DS courses in this as that was the greatest MK game prior to 8. With MK8D seemingly being the definitive MK collection (unless 9 becomes Ultimate), we need DS as fully integrated as possible. Fingers crossed for R.O.B.!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    [face_hypnotized]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kinda crazy to think that almost all of N64 Hyrule is the size of some Mario Kart tracks (and no more than 3 of them combined).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Rew likes this.
  22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  23. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Shulk confirmed for Mario Kart.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It had to happen- there was no mathematical way to redistribute that number of characters into an even (or even semi-even) grid.

My guesses: ROB, Funky, Pauline, Kamek & Nabbit. Assuming no other non-Mario characters. Could also see that blue shelled Koopa getting a special slot to tie into the movie.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  25. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I could see the last slot at the bottom going to a non-Mario character to fit in with the rest of the row.