main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8 Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Feb 23, 2008.

1. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    As long as the Mii icon shifts back to its far south-east position once all the characters are out, I'll be happy.
    As for the crossover character row, I doubt we'll be seeing a new one. Would love to be proven wrong, but everything we've had with the Booster Course Pass has come from Tour. It gives them a base to work from. At most, I could see them using that slot for one of the special designs Tour has, such as Dr. Bowser. Or, we get the Luigi's Mansion King Boo.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Maybe it has something to do with the bad video game it’s based on, but I hate the Yoshi’s Island track.

I have no issues placing first in the three tracks preceding it, but I can’t seem to win on it. There’s an odd amount of Mario Kart bull**** that happens on it, moreso than usual. If it was the first track in the cup it wouldn’t be so frustrating, but when you waste three races before it trying to get three stars, it’s very frustrating.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Teaser for Wave 5 coming this summer. Shows of a new course and 3 roster additions: Kamek (Tour), Petey Piranha (Double Dash) and Wiggler (MK7).

Rew likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wave 5 hits July 12th!

Feather Cup:
    -Athens Dash (Tour)
    -Daisy Cruiser (GCN)
    -Moonview Highway (Wii)
    -Squeaky Clean Sprint (MK8D)

Cherry Cup:
    -Los Angeles Laps (Tour)
    -Sunset Wilds (GBA)
    -Koopa Cape (Wii)
    -Vancuver Velocity (Tour)

Characters:
    -Birdo (med)
    -Petey Piranha (heavy)
    -Wiggler (heavy)
    -Kamek (med)

That leaves 8 tracks remaining for the final wave, Wave 6. It looks like the only remaining city Tour track is Rome, and the only "original" track from Tour remaining is Piranha Plant Cove. So that likely leaves 6 retro tracks to bring back.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I would like a few more Wii and DD tracks to be included. Ones that haven't been on DS, 7 and 8.

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    LET'S GOOOOOOOO [face_dancing]

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably true, but an interesting coincidence otherwise:

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Final wave- Nov 9th!

Acorn Cup:
    -Rome Avanti (Tour)
    -DK Mountain (GCN)
    -Daisy Circuit (Wii)
    -Piranha Plant Cover (Tour)

Blue Shell Cup:
    -Madrid Drive (Tour)
    -Rosalina's Ice World (3DS)
    -Bowser's Castle 3 (SNES) (let's go!)
    -Rainbow Road (Wii) (woo-hoo!)

FatBurt likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So made time to try to get back to MK8D before the new content drops, so that I can hopefully make some more progress in my 150cc 3-stars run. It took a a few hours but I was finally able to 3-star the Moon Cup, no thanks to the 3rd lap tomnookery that constantly happens on Peach Gardens. And I love Peach Gardens as a track. But, man, I can't recall another course where you will so often lose 1st place to an item attack at almost the exact same, unrecoverable distance from the finish line. There has to be like a 95% failure rate thanks to that.

Granted, it did make me look up shortcuts and practice the level some. Still not able to really pull off the main shortcut with only a mini turbo (just can't get the angle right to survive the grass slow-down), but some of the smaller curb trick spots helped. But, in the end it really just comes down to luck and playing the cups enough times that the random factors eventually fall in your favor (and that you don't get a rare loss on Merry Mountain or Rainbow Road).

Also, this effort has resulted in playing Berlin Byways waaay too much. And, yet, I still drift into that train track gap frequently, gah. Usually don't lose 1st there regardless, but, still, an annoyance. One of these days I want to practice the shortcut jump off of the Whomps. But I need a break from this level now, ha.

Anyways, that means I've 3-starred the entire top row of Booster Course Cups, in addition to all the original cups and 1 of the 4 original DLC cups (gonna polish those off next, so all I have remaining will be the bottom row of BC Cups).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Take a Tour down Mario Kart memory lane.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Didn't expect to roll new credits for the Booster Course, so that’s neat. Have almost beaten the game. Stretching out the last 2 cups to make it last.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I’m with you on the 200cc nonsense, but I do have to 3 star those mirror cups to satisfy my inner completionist.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think I could ever do that. 3-starring regular 150cc comes down to so much luck in terms of not having random factors cheap you out on a 1st place finish even with the advantages of muscle memory and shortcuts, that I couldn't see taking that muscle memory away and playing that way. Most cups are pretty achievable with a few tries (and I've been acing some of these last few cups on the first go), but a few will absolutely take you several hours of constant trying to 3-star because of tracks that consistently screw you over (i'm looking at you, Peach Gardens and Waluigi Pinball! Arg!).

Mirror Cup is best saved for when you're playing with friends of varying skill level and want to even the playing field by taking away map muscle memory (or letting it work against the best players who'll make wrong turns as they remember how it's supposed to be).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    darth-sinister likes this.
  14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    With a lot of the DLC cups, I played Mirror mode first so that I didn’t have to compete against my muscle memory. Which was probably a mistake because it may have caused me to unfairly dislike some of those tracks, but it worked for the most part.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Ah, veek-tore-ee!

darth-sinister and heels1785 like this.