main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT Saga - Legends These Things Will Change - Kessel Run Challenge, OC Rebel Pilots

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thumper09, Jan 13, 2022.

1. BaconHeadIthorian

BaconHeadIthorian Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2009
    I love this so much (and love the idea of doing different stories from the perspective of different pilots of a squadron!). I sure hope that Calla and Aurora soon get to greet their husband/father with the greatest song in ANY galaxy!

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  2. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks! Unfortunately there was more loss than saving up to the last point we saw, but hopefully now they're at a point in the battle where they've got their footing and can start turning things around. Thanks for following along, and for reading and commenting!

Thank you! The first five parts of this 5+1 unfortunately did have a pretty hopeless tone, and I typically don't get so far down in the murk right before the story ends, so it felt a bit weird to me to end it there-- one aspect of the experiment that I didn't think through all the way until it was too late, heh. I hope they'll hear some of the good news too. :)

Surprisingly, due to its split nature the 5+1 entry was probably one of the most character-balanced squadfic scenes I've ever written. I'm not sure if others have encountered this with any of their ensemble pieces, but for big groups of characters like this I tend to have "tiers"-- primary focus on a few top-tier characters, less-but-still-significant time with mid-tier characters, and the lower-tier ones kind of blend in with the background unless they're doing something specific. With the 5+1 my tier system went away, and I had to actually figure out what everyone was doing, LOL.

Thanks for reading and commenting, and for following along!

Thank you! I was lucky the numbers worked out with the 5+1 and I could split it into the wingpairs evenly for the five-- otherwise I'm honestly not sure what I would have done. :p It probably would have changed my entire approach to the challenge. I'm happy that the characterizations were distinct even with everything else happening.

Thanks, I'm glad the Ortolan came across well. Up until I wrote the sixth entry I wasn't sure what species would be there. This was a case of me pulling out my copy of the Ultimate Alien Anthology (RPG sourcebook), flipping through it, and trying to figure out what species might live on a cold colony world in the early OT era and not necessarily be automatic friends with the Empire. I was expecting more candidates than I actually found. Of the three I used, the Ortolan POV seemed the most interesting.

Thank you very much for following along, and for reading and commenting!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Doing different perspectives in a squadron is something that I think is a lot of fun to play around with. :) I have a much older story (that needs a serious overhaul) where I alternated 1st person POV scenes from each pilot, but that was a "normal" story so it flowed better. That kind of POV stuff is like candy to me.

That's definitely a great "entrance" song! :cool: It would fit the mood for the next time he's able to see his family. :)

Thanks for reading and commenting! I need to catch up on your story, hopefully tomorrow.