main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends They See Me Drabblin', They Hatin' (UDX X)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SupermassiveUbersue, Sep 10, 2022.

1. SupermassiveUbersue

SupermassiveUbersue Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2022
    I've already posted a drabble, but since I'm late, I have to start at the beginning. So here it is, my drabble challenge, now with proper formatting! I hope.

If you want to give this a try:

Challenge - The Ultimate Drabble Challenge X: The Drabble Strikes Back! - Week 5 is here! | Jedi Council Forums (theforce.net)

Title:
    They See Me Drabblin', They Hatin'
    Author(s): SupermassiveUbersue
    Timeframe: Beyond Legends (for now)
    Characters: Luke, Mara, Leia, Cilghal, OC, and more later
    Genre: A bunch. I'll tell you at the start of each set!
    Keywords: Drabble
    Summary: I'm giving this drabble challenge a go, and I'll give you a warning/summary of each set as I write it, lest you read something that makes you throw up in your mouth a little.
    Notes: I'll tell you later.

Week 1!

Title:
    Daybreak
    Timeframe: Beyond Legends, a few years post-Mara, plus a flashback :(
    Characters: Luke, Mara, Leia, Cilghal
    Genre: Angst, Humour?
    Keywords: Sad!Luke, Angst, Humour kinda, Jedi
    Summary: Luke is on Dac missing Mara, and Cilghal and Leia discuss what their visions might mean for his future.
    Notes:

This week's words are:
    1. Prelude
    2. Bygone
    3. Impend
    4. Descend
    5. Arise
    Bonus:
    Imminent
    Erstwhile
    Perpetual

Because I hate myself I guess, I'm trying to go above and beyond by fitting every word into one drabble and putting it at the beginning or end of each set.

All Words:
    In dawn's prelude, Luke saw division forming between the sea and the sky. He recalled the bygone days with Mara; she complained about the smell of the seaweed; he almost smiled. The Force failed to impend her fate, but he knew he was going to move a sofa up the stairs of the praxium sometime. Here he caught himself, lest he descend into a miserable spiral. He waited for the sun, hoping that some peace would arise with a morning swim. In that imminent moment, he could forget his erstwhile sorrow and feel the perpetual hum of life below him.

1. Prelude
    The Force was speaking to him again, and it felt like nonsense. A vision of his praxium on a sunny afternoon was a prelude to visions of useless, everyday moments. There would be the unseen person helping him awkwardly maneouver a sofa up the stairs. Then it would be climbing out of his old X-wing to fast-walk across the courtyard because he really needed to pee. Would he make it? Who knows. Time reveals all.

He pushed past his grumpiness with effort and refocused himself in meditation. Who was he to judge what The Force chose to show him?

2. Bygone
    He missed those bygone days when he could complain to Mara about this; he had an image to uphold with everyone else. Leia heard about the big problems, and Mara heard about the stupid little things, like what The Force would or would not do for him.

"I want to know how the war ends, but no. Can't have that. But I do know I'm going to make teacakes at some point."

"Are they going to be good?"

"See, I don't even know that."

She grinned. "What I want to know is why you're moving upstairs."

Asking the real questions.

3. Impend
    Contrarily, The Force chose to impend a lot to Leia. She knew about the sofa and the rushing across the courtyard and the praxium on a sunny day. She didn't tell Luke that she saw more visions that made them all coalesce.

What she couldn't say to her family-- including Mara-- she said to Cilghal, and would ask her opinion.

"I think The Force is telling him as much as he is ready to hear." This was Cilghal's boilerplate answer, but it was usually true.

And this was something Luke definitely didn't want to know. He'd rather mourn Mara forever.

4. Descend
    The sun burst above the horizon; it was time for him to descend into the surf. Luke threw off his robe, gave himself a short running start, and dove into an incoming wave. He surfaced with a great spew of air and gasped a deep breath before commencing with a front crawl. This was a dangerous time of year for this particular beach; the water was low and calm enough to sit outside, but the sharp pumice formations that cradled the island were barely submerged. Even the local Mon Cal feared being dashed against those rocks. He didn't care today.

5. Arise
    Leia was up early too, chatting on an encrypted channel from the praxium to Dac.

"When's my brother's new romance supposed to arise? Or do you think he'll adopt?"

Cilghal pondered how much to say. She had climbed up to the apex of the dome that served as the guesthouse for her air-breathing friends; she worried about Luke and didn't take her eyes off him as he set out for his swim. "Soon, probably," she said absently.

"Well, which is it?"

Their new guest stepped out onto the beach.

Cilghal could smell the pheromones already; she missed complaining to Chewie.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  2. SupermassiveUbersue

Sep 8, 2022
    Week 2!

Although I'm rushing these to catch up on the drabble challenge, I welcome constructive criticism (and unconstructive too, actually).

Title:
    An Impromptu Screening
    Timeframe: Beyond Legends, same as week 1 :)
    Characters: Cilghal, OCs
    Genre: Humour
    Keywords: Mon Calimari, Cilghal, Dac, Humour
    Summary: Cilghal reluctantly returns to live on Dac after many years for treatment of a serious illness, but she begins to bond with her neighbours when they watch a Human historical drama together.
    Notes: Cilghal has an autoimmune disorder triggered by exposure to male rutting hormones from her hapless colleague Ichmee, a Mon Cal medical researcher with a crush on her. She is bored out of her mind convaslescing in the Breeding Caves for the duration of the season, and Ichmee is bringing her reading material etc out of guilt.

This week's words are:

6. Battlefield
    7. Opponent
    8. General
    9. Knight
    10. Ceasefire
    Bonus:
    Saber
    Armor
    Kneel

All Words!
    Cilghal knew this was going to be a battlefield. The ladies got along very nicely as they lounged and hovered in their hollows; her opponent was boredom; the general conversation became increasingly inane. She received her bumbling knight graciously; he bore gifts and nervously declined her neighbours' offers to mate. An argument broke out, but everyone declared a ceasefire when Cilghal lit up the cave with her tablet.

A man wearing a sheathed saber and armor appeared; they were puzzled. "A human historical drama," said Cilghal. "He is going to kneel before her to ask her to be his mate."

6. Battlefield
    "Is that a shell or is he a cyborg?" asked Gleedal.

This was going to be tiring, but at least it was amusing. "It is protection for the battlefield," said Cilghal.

She whispered her thanks to Ichmee, who took his leave by swimming out of there as fast as he could.

"I see," said Gleedal. "Oh, he's kneeling! Look! Look! Cilghal, how did you know?"

"I just know humans," she said.

Ghilahr swam in so close that she was holding onto Cilghal's shoulders. "The female has lovely plumage." Cilghal liked her; she was sweet.

"Down in front!" the others chorused.

7. Opponent
    "That's not plumage--" Cilghal began, but then another male appeared onscreen and all hell broke loose in the cave.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!" they chanted. Ghilahr swam back and averted her eyes.

Fileegh yelled out from the back, "Slay your opponent, human!"

"They're not going to fight," Cilghal called out. "He gave the first male a message from his mother!"

"What!" cried Fileegh. "There's a fertile female right there!"

"Maybe he's not rutting," offered Ghilahr.

Cilghal explained that humans are always in heat and always rutting.

"So how do they get anything done?"

Cilghal sighed. "I ask myself that frequently."

8. General
    After a while, Cilghal got tired of explaining the plot and announced that there would be an intermission. It was a human convention, so they accepted it. However, a roundtable discussion commenced about humanity in general, and then the humans who frequent Cilghal's island.

"There is a male who visits a lot and swims quite well," said Ghilahr. She was softspoken and had to repeat herself.

"His name is Luke," said Cilghal.

"He smells depressed to me. Is that just their musk?"

Cilghal smiled sadly. Her cave-mates didn't notice this trained human body language that came to her automatically.

9. Knight
    "He had a strong pair-bond with his mate," said Cilghal, "and he has been very distressed since she died."

The chorus turned sympathetic. "My condolences," said Ghilahr. Cilghal considered inviting her up for tea and cakes; she was good people.

"I hope he's not too old to fight," said Fileegh. "It would be nice if he had another mate."

Gleedal was getting testy. "They don't fight for mates," she said. "Pay attention."

"You pay attention," said Fileegh.

"He actually fights very well--" Cilghal began.

"Is he a knight?" cried Gleedal.

Cilghal chuckled. "He was, sort of. So was I."

10. Ceasefire
    She was starting to enjoy being popular. "We weren't the same kind of knights as these. We were Jedi Knights before becoming Jedi Masters."

Gleedal inquired about their metal plating and was disappointed to hear that they instead wore robes the colour of mud.

"It's getting late. I think we should let Cilghal get some rest," said Ghilahr. The rest agreed, embarrassed for forgetting about her illness in their excitement.

Cilghal thanked them all, stashed her new treasures in their bag, and curled up at the base of her hollow and slept without pain for the first time in months.

Thanks for reading!

3. SupermassiveUbersue

Sep 8, 2022
    Week 3!

Title:
    Apparitions
    Author(s): Supermassive Ubersue
    Timeframe: Beyond Legends
    Characters: Luke, OC
    Genre: Angst, Gothic horror romance maybe?
    Keywords: Sad!Luke, L/OC
    Summary: Luke is visited in a dream by an apparition of his late lover on her home planet.
    Notes: May or may not be gibberish, since I'm trying to catch up on these drabbles and I'm darn picky about each of them containing exactly 100 words. Also, I've decided that I'm going to keep starting with a drabble using every single prompt word because it gives me an idea of what to write about.
    **Trigger warning: character death, implied violence

This week's words:
    11. Inlay
    12. Outrun
    13. Withdraw
    14. Partake
    15. Uphold

Bonus:
    Undo
    Waylay
    Overtake

All words:
    The inlay mosaic depicts their ancestors' efforts to outrun oxidation and degradation before the generational ships wore and weathered away. They couldn't withdraw the colony; no one else was coming. Many chose to partake in any possible happiness rather than fight their fate; families who uphold Seer traditions hear them laughing.

This colony was a mistake no one thought to undo; politics and bad luck conspired to waylay and cease the supply ships meant to follow the first generation and overtake the second-- which also never arrived. It took three millennia for someone to notice that they survived anyway.

11. Inlay
    Luke notices dim and wavering forms of gold inlay on an uneven surface, and then that he is underwater; he surfaces quickly. He sees that he is in a large inground bath tub-- rather, excavated in stone-- in a room with at least five more. He sees black sky through the small windows carved out near the ceiling. A slight breeze does not disturb the light from numerous oil lamps. He hasn't been here before, but he knows where he is, the planet and city. He doesn't know when he is here, or if he is actually here at all.

12. Outrun
    He feels like he is in someone else's dream, and senses a presence behind him that seems to confirm it. He doesn't turn around, and senses no aggression from her, but his heart pounds in his throat anyway as he waits for her approach. And when she does, she kneels beside him at the edge of the pool. His peripheral vision reveals that she is completely concealed by lightweight fabric except for her hands and feet, and he hears her set down a tray. He doesn't want to see, but there is nothing to outrun, so he closes his eyes.

13. Withdraw
    He can feel her presence very close, very timid. This version of her remembers very little about him. She speaks softly to herself and to him, knowing that he cannot understand a word, but the cheerful lilt and her unseen smile makes his heart hurt. He opens his eyes as a cup dips into the water; he sees her hand and the fine embroidery on her loose cuff. And he knows exactly what this is and feels that he has to see what he has done. He gently reaches to withdraw the shawl that is covering her face and neck.

14. Partake
    Before he can see anything, she tugs her shawl back into place, and he feels her fingers on his scalp; she is washing his hair. He reaches for her shawl again and she pulls it back with a soapy hand, giggling. She thinks he is trying to partake in a game. Despite everything, he finds himself happy, and as she leans over to rinse his hair, he surreptitiously pinches a piece of the fabric. He feels the cool water pouring over him, and as she settles back again, he opens his eyes to see the shawl slide off. He smiles.

15. Uphold
    She is as she ever was.

"Hello, beautiful," he says, and the flicker in her eyes reveals her understanding. He reaches to touch her face, running fingertips down her cheek to her lips and chin, and down her perfectly smooth throat. There is no scar at all.

Suddenly, he feels a disturbing presence at the end of the room; he looks and sees her Shadow, inhabiting her body, crouching, watching. The woman beside him throws the cup at it, shouting in anguish.

He wakes, orienting himself, and regrets it immediately, begging himself to uphold the illusion. The guards hear weeping from his cell.

Thanks for reading!

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    That's are great! I love the mystery of the first set, and Luke's "useless" visions. I especially like this part:
    I love, love, love the Mon Cal reactions to the human drama! I love that kind of cross-cultural interaction, and it's done so well here! Great job!

The last set is very mysterious and very lovely. I hope we get to learn more. :)

5. SupermassiveUbersue

Sep 8, 2022

Kahara, Findswoman and Tarsier like this.
  6. SupermassiveUbersue

Sep 8, 2022
    Week 4!

Title: A Hypothesis
    Timeframe: Still Beyond Legends
    Characters: Luke, Cilghal, OC
    Genre: Kind of a RomCom?
    Keywords: Luke/OC, Dac
    Summary: Cilghal has girl hangs with Xhin, a Force-sensitive human, and decides to test a hypothesis about Luke's future.
    Notes: This is set chronologically after Weeks 1 and 2.

This week's words:
    16. Breeze
    17. Idyll
    18. Shade
    19. Balm
    20. Linger

Bonus:
    Frolic
    Haven
    Succor

All words
    The breeze on Dac sometimes carries the scent of flowers of all things; they float with deep stems anchoring them to the porous rock. This idyll was a mountain during the last ice age; many life forms became amphibious to adapt to the cycles. In fact she is atop one summit of an entire mountain range in whose shade people nap underwater. This world of unseen life is a balm to her spirit when weather permits her to linger outside.

She wants to frolic in these waters, but this dome is her haven, and its waterproof seal provides succour during storms.

16. Breeze
    Cilghal likes to climb the ladder to the dome's top hatch and sunbathe on the roof with her human friends and visitors. Today she is enjoying the sun and a pleasant breeze with Xhin, a possible Jedi candidate who does not know it yet. The story is that the young woman has been offered an opportunity to leave her planet to become a citizen of the Galaxy and build a life for herself. This is true. But she is also being quarantined; she does not know it, but in the pit of her unconscious, she thinks she needs to be.

17. Idyll
    For many humans, life on Dac would be miserable, isolating, claustrophobic. For at least half the year, the dome must be sealed shut while enormous and powerful tidal waves constantly crash over it. And when the seas calm down and the sandy beach appears, you are still in a little space surrounded by water, populated by people you cannot see or talk to. But this is an idyll for people from desert planets and space colonies. To be surrounded by water feels like a dream, and its forms are beautifully fascinating. To bathe and swim in it is an adventure.

18. Shade
    Cilghal wishes for shade: a bad sign. Xhin is climbing the ladder, bringing a whole picnic's worth of tea (for herself), broth (for Cilghal), teacakes (for both) and assorted seafood-based hors d'oeuvres; Cilghal feels guilty for calling off this party and resolves to stay awhile. Xhin is just about to close the hatch when she looks at Cilghal, narrows her eyes, and descends. She emerges minutes later with a bedsheet, string, and two table legs. She scrambles down the exterior steps, returns with an armful of beach rocks, and erects a tent.

"Desert planet skills," she says proudly.

19. Balm
    Today is Pedicure Day; Xhin's nails now match her dress, and she is dabbing healing balm on Cilghal's cracked webbing.

"Cilghi, I want to learn swimming. Could you teach me?"

She smiles. "I would like to, but I don't know how to swim like a human. Master Skywalker might teach you sometime."

Xhin smiles shyly. "I don't want to bother him."

"He likes teaching."

"It is his job. I won't ask."

Cilghal ponders. "Xhin, on your planet, what do you do for guests?"

She shrugs. "We do tea and sweets. Why do you ask?"

Cilghal has a benevolent scheme forming.

20. Linger
    Master Skywalker's ship docked last night; he has gone for an early swim. Xhin is on the beach waiting to intercept him with an offer of tea. Which she realizes now is a flawed plan; if he wants tea at all, it's going to be after he takes a shower and gets dressed. She sees a figure in the distance and stands up, at the ready. But why? Now is not the time for tea. If he wants anything, it's his robe, so she picks it up to have something to give him rather than linger uselessly on this beach.

Frolic
    This course of action gives her anxiety plenty of room to frolic. Does he read thoughts? Why is she holding his robe? It was already there; he put it there. Is this annoying and invasive? If he can read her thoughts, are they as exhausting to him as they are to her? She bets they are.

As he stands up and approaches through the surf, she realizes: first, swimwear is not a lot of clothes; second, being a Jedi keeps you fit. Oh boy, does it ever.

"Thanks," he mutters awkwardly, taking the robe from her as he moves past.

Haven
    Xhin is still standing dumbly on the beach when she hears Master Skywalker open the front door and shut it again. After giving him time to retreat to the haven of his assigned room, she permits herself to turn around and enter the building. She walks in a daze, as her anxiety has so much to work with right now that it has exhausted itself.

Almost by reflex, she fixes up a nice tea. She can leave it out for him so there's no pressure and no eye contact. Then Cilghal might help her find a hole to crawl into.

Succour
    Luke surfaces feeling much improved from his swim, and spots their new guest holding his robe-- how nice. He can also conveniently take Cilghal's advice to invite Xhin for tea so she won't find him intimidating.

Except she's gaping at him like she's never seen a man before-- she's pretty cute actually-- oh no you don't, no no no no no. He takes the robe and flees like a coward seeking succour from his shower, where he can remind himself that maybe he's still got it, maybe he's the only man on the planet.

Observing from the roof, Cilghal sighs. "Thought so."

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Love matchmaking Cilghal and that LUke is possibly able to find happiness after Mara. @};- He deserves it. [face_love]

8. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I like Xhin and I like Cilghal's matchmaking!

It's sweet that Xhil senses Cilghal's need for shade and great that she can make a tent in a pinch! She's from a desert planet, like Luke :)

I love the way you describe her anxiety and awkwardness, very relatable!

9. SupermassiveUbersue

Sep 8, 2022
    Thanks! I think Luke deserves something nice once in a while.

Thank you very much! :)

10. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    SupermassiveUbersue here, now with login credentials that I actually recorded in such a manner that I'm unlikely to lose them forever!

"Challenge accepted," said her ADHD.

I actually did Week 5 first because reading instructions is hard. Link below because I'm too lazy to do more than that.
    Week 5

Week 6!

Title: A Siren, and What Floofs in the Night
    Author(s): SupermassiveUbersue, aka UltramassiveUbersue
    Characters: Lando, Mara, Leia, Han, OCs
    Genre: Humour, romance, intermittent mush, random acts of angst
    Keywords: Mara/Lando (Mardo?), crack!ship that is totally canon #teamhambly
    Summary: Mara disagrees with Lando's strategy to boost their business profiles with bold couture at every event. Will she seek vengeance?
    Notes: This is threatening to become my OTP.

This week's words:
    26. Splash
    27. Rumble
    28. Thump
    29. Flutter
    30. Crackle

Bonus:
    Rattle
    Glug
    Twang
    *Swish

All words because my priorities are silly:

Lando is determined to make a splash tonight. Gossip will rumble-- should be fun.

"I don't wanna be a power couple," Mara grumbles, not yet projectiles angry, but carelessly clumsy angry.

Lando winces at the thump from his closet.

A tote is lying sideways on the floor with feathers fluttering about. Mara doesn't know what's in there and doesn't care, but it makes a crackle when she steps on it.

He hears rattle and a twang-- what the heck was that?-- and takes a sip of his drink which turns into a glug, when the door opens with a swish.

26. Splash

A sullen-faced Mara stands before him wearing a gown with an asymmetrical hemline and many shades of blue. It has a lot of asymmetrical things: some layers stiffly ruffled and others floating, an odd splash of pleats, and fabrics of varying transparency. "Is this it?"

Lando beams. "Oh, look at you."

"I look stupid."

"You look gorgeous." He gives her a big squeeze and a kiss, which breaks her foul mood and makes her smile.

"Still stupid," she says, accepting another kiss from him.

"You're a siren of the sea."

"I thought I wouldn't have to drown anyone tonight."

27. Rumble

The crowd's rumble dies down as they make their entrance down the carpeted stairs to the gala.

"Aaaaaand I'm overdressed," says Mara. Everyone else is wearing standard fancy dress: slim-fitting gowns, tailored trousers and jackets. Yet her hair's underdone; in an ocean of updos she is the only one with her hair wavy and loose, suggesting the wildness of the sea.

Lando smiles widely. "We're courageous."

"We're dorks."

They never match, precisely, but his evening wear always compliments hers. Tonight, his suit is deep blue with pale piping to suggest the crest of a wave. He thinks it's brilliant.

28. Thump

But just as all heads have turned their way, they hear a thump behind them; an ambassador's teenage daughter has tripped on her hem and fallen down the stairs.

"I'm okay!" she shouts, laughing. Her parents look deeply embarrassed. "OhmygoshIloveyourdress!" she gushes.

Lando's cutting his losses and looking to flee. "Just ignore her," he murmurs, gently tugging Mara's elbow.

"Why thank you," she says sweetly, helping the girl up. "I can introduce you to the designer if you want." She senses Lando's confusion and betrayal.

29. Flutter

Holovideographers and fashion reporters flutter about the room and converge on the scene at the staircase.

"Lando honey, tell her about how you liberated him from an Imperial prison camp."

"I just provided the transportation. Mara, why don't we--"

"He's being modest. He founded a nonprofit society to track down missing political prisoners of Palpatine's regime."

"Well, uh... it's actually highly personal..." This must be vengeance. For the dress? "I was administrator of a city before the Empire expropriated it-- took it over."

30. Crackle

Gather 'round, hear my shame. "Everyone who didn't escape was arrested. My tailor, Faiza, died, but her husband didn't-- Iver designed the dress." He wipes his eyes and clears his throat. "So I joined the Rebellion..."

Holocameras click.

"And after the war I started a logistics and transport company.... My staff found Iver and their daughter Iza. We're still--" his voice breaks; he stops.

The girl hugs him; her parents shake his hand and thank him for his service.

Mara's crinolines crackle as she poses for the holocameras. "Iver's a creative genius," she breathes. "We love to support his vision."

Rattle

For the rest of the night, Mara soaks up compliments and waxes rhapsodic about every outfit Lando has convinced her to wear.

"Thank you," he whispers. "What do I owe you?"

She shrugs. His soul and firstborn, same as usual. "Sorry I made you cry," she murmurs. "I wasn't trying to rattle you."

"Nah." He smiles and gives her a big squeeze and a kiss on the cheek. Holocameras flash. "You're keeping me sincere. That's not an easy task."

Goddammit Lando, always making me love you with this shavit. "Next time you're wearing the floofy thing."

He chuckles. "That's fair."

Glug

"I want to wear a pantsuit," says Mara.

Iver frowns, pondering. "How do you feel about feathers?"

"They're tolerable. I just want to see my feet. Oh, and I want flat shoes, too. Boots are fine." She peers over at his sketches; he has five of her, but none of Lando. "Can't you just make him a crazy cape or something?"

"I'm trying to wean him off of those." He downs the rest of his caf with a glug and pours himself another from the carafe. "I'm having a bit of trouble with this 'floofy' vision you have for him."

Twang

"How about a cape with feathers on it? Come on, he'd love that."

Iver crinkles his nose and shakes his head. "Too regal."

"Lando loves regal."

"I know. I'm trying to get him away from that, too."

Mara shrugs. "Pair it with some booty shorts for contrast?"

He digests the image. "Amazingly, that's still too regal. You realize this is a trade summit, not a dance music festival?"

"Hm." She sips her caf. In the background, they hear the twang of strings as Iza tunes up her Alderi lyre for concert band practice. Mara has an idea--

"No," says Iver.

Swish

Mara expected feathered trim, not an entire scale layer of iridescent green-black feathers. "The best part is I'm waterproof," she tells Leia.

They hear the door swish open.

Mara is outraged. "How are you still this sexy? How?!"

Lando's shoulders have quadrupled in size thanks to a capelet of green-black feathers, contrasting with a black waistcoat, pebble-embossed leather boots and gloves, and tight-fitting raw silk breeches in gunmetal. "I am the night," he says, grinning.

"You're what floofs in the night," says Han, looking to the ladies for validation. He scowls. "I'm not wearing that, Leia."

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Your drabbles are great with all the characters of legends in them. Mara and Luke, Han and Leia and Cilghal and their friends.

12. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Aww, thanks! I appreciate the feedback. :)

Kahara likes this.
  13. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Week 7!

Title: The Shadow of a Ghost
    Author(s): UltramassiveUbersue
    Characters: OCs, a snek
    Genre: Mystery
    Keywords: OC, desert planet
    Summary: A Jedi apprentice mysteriously awakens on her home planet, and things keep getting weirder.
    Notes: I'm going on the assumption that there are a few earth-like creatures in the GFFA because Han once said, "Hold your horses!"

This week's words:
    31. Obstruct
    32. Infuse
    33. Obtain
    34. Immerse
    35. Dissipate
    Squander
    Aggregate
    Coalesce

All words!

Xhin wakes. She lies on her side, but something seems to obstruct reality. An irregularly shaped opening suffuses this space with light too dim to infuse it with meaning; she cannot obtain information. She rises up onto her forearm and feels nothing, smells nothing either; she cannot immerse herself into this place. Her calm curiosity starts to dissipate; she must not squander this chance to maintain emotional control. Having nothing to centre herself with but what she can see, she examines that opening and the sparkling at its border. She recognizes the aggregate mineral walls. Reality begins to coalesce.

31. Obstruct

She is in Watersnake Cave, almost two kilometres from her hometown. That opening is the entrance; she can now see the striated walls of the canyon. Although they obstruct the sky from this angle, she perceives the growing darkness of dusk. She recalls this place vividly: the ancient well, the water jugs and cups, the ceramic jars containing dried foodstuffs and medicines, the stone firepit and basin, the rolled up mats and blankets, and the tinder and kindling. Whether she feels the cold or not, it is time for her to build a fire, and she knows where everything is to make one easily.

32. Infuse

She gropes in the darkness, realizing the difficulty of finding items that she can neither see nor feel. She tries brushing her arm along the ground toward the firepit, and it seems as though she is passing through every object she tries to touch. She asks herself why this dream will not end, and becomes genuinely frightened. Maybe if she keeps sweeping until she is outside, she will be able to see what she has; she can infuse herself with enough courage to try. But as she reaches the entrance, she freezes.

Sitting against the wall is her Shadow, staring.

33. Obtain

Xhin is surprised but not afraid. "Hello," she says, relieved to hear her own voice; talking to herself is comforting. "Why are we here?" She does not expect to obtain a response.

Her Shadow stares impassively.

Xhin has a thought; she steps outside into the waning light and examines her cuffs. She recognizes the embroidery. "Aren't I supposed to be giving Lukhi a bath? Or did you scare him out of my dreams?"

Her Shadow moves in too quickly for her to react, and they occupy the same space.

And now she can smell the air and feel the cold.

34. Immerse

Xhin cautiously reaches out to touch the wall. It is solid and rough. She has a dreadful feeling that she may not be dreaming.

But she is cold, so she will make a fire. She feels around and finds the firepit, but no items near it. She finds them in their places against the wall; her arm sweeping moved absolutely nothing.

She shoves that thought aside violently; she is building a fire. She will immerse herself in its warmth and light, and she will roll out a mat for a bed and wrap herself in blankets. She will make tea.

35. Dissipate

She has a fire in no time and makes herself a bed beside it; her thoughts and fears dissipate and she feels at home. Soon the rocks under the fire will be hot enough to boil water in the basin.

She notices she has company and smiles. "Hello there. Are you cozy?"

A shadowsnake has slithered out from the darkness, attracted by the heat. It is a juvenile, its width no greater than one of her braids, its head the size of her thumbnail. A visit from this shy creature is a rare, auspicious omen.

Squander

Years ago, she would've been awestruck by an avatar of her namesake: Xhhin, god of water, fire, dreams, and prophesy. She would have asked Mama and Padhao-- her mother's eldest brother-- how the Seers would interpret it. And later Padwa would have privately asked her to consider their condition before saying such things; Ghost Sickness could be triggered by speaking of the supernatural. It could also come for his sons-- Xhin's brothers-- and her.

Now there is only Padhao to ask, and a baby snake is just an animal. But why squander a chance? "Can you bring me a better dream?"

Aggregate

It sticks out its pink, pin-sized tongue.

Xhin smiles. "So cheeky."

She goes outside to walk. Her distant, torchlit town is an aggregate of stone, clay brick, and wicker. Nostalgia hits her hard, but a visit may frighten people.

As she returns toward the cave, she spots a dark shape: a nerf sleeping against the cliffside, harnessed and loaded for travel. She approaches it and notices a blanket covering a lump between its body and the cliff.

She crouches. "I made a fire."

Someone emerges: a heavily pregnant young woman. Her bowels have loosed and she is crying.

Coalesce

Xhin helps her walk to the cave and goes into midwifery mode, cutting away the soiled tunic bottom and removing sandals and pantalettes. Xhin cuts her own fabric belt into pieces to put into the basin along with a stone from the fire and retrieves water to fill it; a steam cloud hisses. She fishes out cloths for the woman to clean herself thoroughly; one cannot trifle with sepsis.

Xhin spreads her own shawl onto the mat. As she eases the woman onto her side, the firelight reveals her mother's face.

Information fragments coalesce, and Xhin's blood freezes.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the story of Xhin and what is she seeing in the mother?

Kahara and UltramassiveUbersue like this.
  15. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Thank you very much! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

As for Xhin's reaction to seeing her mother, I kinda tried to casually sneak in some exposition that she was no longer living at this point in Xhin's life, plus there's the implication that she shouldn't still be young anyway since her daughter is now an adult. It's kind of a brain-melting moment for her, especially for someone with a family history of psychiatric disorders involving psychosis, which her people call Ghost Sickness.

Tarsier and Kahara like this.
  16. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    If there's one thing that these drabbles are teaching me, it's that there are a lot of words that I think I know the meaning of, but don't. Hooray for learning!

Week 8!

Title: The Eternal Tide
    Author(s): UltramassiveUbersue
    Characters: Cilghal, OCs
    Genre: Drama
    Keywords: Dac, Cilghal, Mon Calamari
    Summary: Cilghal is rushed to Dac for life-saving medical treatment, and she is not having a good time.
    Notes: This takes place before Week 1 & 2's drabble sets because my muse likes writing things out of order.

This week's words:
    36. Squall
    37. Tide
    38. Surf
    39. Current
    40. Depth

Bonus:
    Undertow
    Doldrums
    Celerity

All words:

A ship is approved for landing on Dac and arrives above Cilghal's hometown during a squall at high tide. The surf crashes violently over her family's island; the ship cannot land.

Two medics in diving gear descend with her by harness and rope a kilometre away, spinning in the wind. The infamous rip currents are a trifling hazard in comparison with the massive waves. A concerned crowd gathers below, and they stabilize the humans against the undertow as they detach Cilghal's harness.

Her feverish mind is in doldrums as her people pull her into the depth and rush with celerity to the nearest hospital.

36. Squall

She watches the squall churn and warp the sky between waking dreams. The matrons are tugging her tiny body around on errands while she lazily studies the movement of clouds and scattering sunshine. "Won't you kick at least?"

Her breathing is shallow and sharp; someone mentions air in her lungs in her native language. She cannot fully transition to water breathing, being too weak to expel the air. She hears talk of blood pressure dropping. They stop, and she feels herself drifting.

37. Tide

Doctors stabilize her on-site, a practice unheard of unless the patient is unlikely to survive the journey. It will be nice to see Mara again. She is going to miss Leia very much. Perhaps she will be able to tell her how her sons are doing. Can spirits have children? Are they born into this world?

Surely, she is entering another kind of lifetime; she was raised to believe that life and death are cyclical, an eternal tide. She feels herself being lifted and believes she is peacefully ascending into the Force.

38. Surf

Her face breaks through the surface and the surf roars. The storm is much worse, and the waves are cresting. She is being propped up by many hands and arms, gently rising with each wave, and then dropping a great distance, crashing down upon them, tumbling underwater, and rising again. No one here fears drowning, but they risk serious injury as they protect her.

She can breathe the air much more easily, and her awareness is sharpening. She realizes what these strangers are putting themselves through, just for her, and she feels the way humans do when they cry.

39. Current

She now understands what to do. She takes several deep, long breaths, and then, as she starts to drop again, exhales as forcefully as she can. As she plunges through the surface, hands grasp her legs, shoulders, and arms; they drag her downward with the undertow.

They let go and she makes an abrupt stop as a figure blocks out the bright light of the sky. She feels a great, localized pressure on her chest and back. A large bubble escapes through her mouth, and it scatters into a current along the contours of the doctor's face.

40. Depth

For the first time in years, she can feel all of her gills stretching and fanning out; they sting, and she smells blood. The pain intensifies as the team swabs and cleans them; she whimpers and shudders at each poke.

A putrid cloud surrounds them. She retches and is acutely embarrassed at the others' revulsion. She has put this off for far too long; she should have been here months ago. What foolishness made her think that this could possibly take care of itself?

She feels suddenly lonely, and the depth pressure hugs her as they resume their journey.

Undertow

The luminescent sphere of the hospital looms before her entourage. Were it not for the powerful undertow of the storm surges, the humans would be here to report her condition back to the ship. She is surely the only person in this rural district who speaks Basic; she will have to get the word out herself, or her friends will worry. The Jedi have lost so many people already. And her colleagues on Coruscant, poor Ichmee--

She feels a pinprick and her eyelids get heavy.

"She's asleep. Blood pressure is stable."

Doldrums

Cilghal awakens but cannot open her eyes. She feels numb and cold, and she wants a soft knitted blanket like the ones that she gives to humans.

Her eyes open a crack, and through water clear as air, she sees a circular doorway with a membrane enclosure and a sign suspended at its apex: Sanitized Room. Three black strings fastened to either side of the door comprise the sign, with patterns of knots between them forming words. She hasn't seen her local scripts since she left the planet as a teenager. Indulging in nostalgia relieves the doldrums of emerging from general anesthesia.

Celerity

A doctor swims through the door with celerity and checks her vitals. Cilghal cannot smell him; he is covered in the necessary antiseptic lipid gel for sanitized rooms. Doctors cannot even open their mouths here.

He provides a scroll of intricately knotted strings. It reads:

Emergency interventions:
    Tertiary kidney necrosis-- organ excised;
    Secondary bowel necrotic tissue-- excised, tissue transplanted;
    Left forelung tumour mass-- excised;
    Bilateral primary and secondary gill infection (external)-- antiseptic rinse, intravenous antibiotic;
    Left primary gill inflammation (internal)-- fluid drained.

Primary diagnosis: Advanced Oestrus Autoimmune Syndrome. ​

Her heart sinks; it is what she had feared. She's not going anywhere.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Poor Cilghal. She is in deep trouble

Kahara and UltramassiveUbersue like this.
  18. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    She's exactly where she needs to be, but not where she wants to be, and she's not the first to become seriously ill in avoiding facing a devastating diagnosis. But acknowledging it is the first step towards healing. :)

And of course, thank you for your comments. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  19. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Week 6 love the backstory behind all the fashion. Lando's such a softie! And Mara is a good sport!

Week 7 fascinating set! I like the tiny cheeky snake!

Week 8 this is an intense one! Poor Cilghal. At least she is where she needs to be now and hopefully on the mend. Love the descriptions of the alien world. This line really struck me: She feels numb and cold, and she wants a soft knitted blanket like the ones that she gives to humans.

UltramassiveUbersue and Kahara like this.
  20. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Thanks, Tarsier! I really appreciate your feedback. :)
    I think behind all of Lando's stuff there's a big ol' soft heart. The smarmy guy we meet in ESB is him behaving how Han remembers him, and he's matured a lot since then. Although I do love writing Party!Lando. :D
    I think Mara frequently underestimates how sensitive people are and therefore has to do a lot of damage control, so she finds herself being a good sport about a lot of things.
    I was researching snakes for my fics, and it turns out they have the cutest little faces! :D
    Thanks! I've been trying to sort out how things work on Dac for a while. I hate to be mean to Cilghal, but she really, really, really doesn't want to leave her life off-world, and I had to hit her with something that a healing trance couldn't fix.

21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I mean to actually come back and do some more involved commenting (on this and other people's threads too) at some point, but time got away from me this weekend... anyway, all that is to say that I've been reading along and absolutely delighted to discover more of your universes as they develop. (From what I can tell, there are at least two, maybe more? Anyway, I'm not fussy! :p ) Each and every new entry has something totally unexpected and that is so much fun!

Tarsier and UltramassiveUbersue like this.
  22. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Aww, thanks! I was getting a little worried that all of my stuff being out of order would be annoying to read, so I really appreciate your feedback! :)

Well, I've got one main epic here that I've been working on forever but finishing things is hard, and then I have a whole bunch of drafts of Mara and Lando that happened when I was working on an AU in which Luke marries Callista.

23. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Finally, I've finished Week 9!

Title: An Obvious Quid Pro Quo
    Author(s):
    UltramassiveUbersue
    Timeframe: Beyond Legends, slightly AU
    Characters: Luke, Daala, Leia, OC
    Genre: Drama, angst, humour
    Keywords: sad!luke, Daala, Leia
    Summary: As media reports of a newly discovered atrocity against civilians-- allegedly committed by Wilhuff Tarkin-- sweep the galaxy, Chancellor Daala offers Luke an end to his exile if he will do her a favour.

Notes:
    I'll admit that I haven't read a lot of the NJO books from around this timeline, so I'm making this slightly AU. Chief of State Daala has become Chancellor Daala because she knows she'll be ousted from power if people don't get their democracy back. Meanwhile, Luke is exiled from Gallactic Alliance territory as a whole, and the Jedi Council is operating by consensus vote instead of appointing a new grandmaster in his absence.

This week's words:
    41. Per Se
    42. Ad Hoc
    43. Vice Versa
    44. De Facto
    45. Et Cetera

Bonus words:
    Quid Pro Quo
    Carpe Diem
    Ad Astra

All words:

Chancellor Daala says it's not a bribe, per se, but an "ad hoc strategy adjustment".

She's seeking re-election and annexing the planet by plebiscite will control this scandal's narrative. Unfortunately, the locals only trust Luke Skywalker to approach them in good faith; they're understandably wary of foreigners.

If he presents the Gallactic Alliance's proposal, she will consider a pardon. A de facto promise to end his exile.

"So, he helps you and vice versa." Her publicist has concerns, et cetera. "It's an obvious quid pro quo."

She slaps his back. "Carpe diem! Something ad astra... spin it how you like."

41. Per Se

Luke's ship is drifting in interstellar space to conserve energy.

He's not depressed, per se. He's staying positive, trusting in the Force. He eats one post-shower meal at dinnertime for chewing efficiency. Daily showers are a good sign.

Any communication with him has a five-year mandatory minimum sentence. He's worried about that telemarketer.

He misses Ben so, so much.

He theorizes that he can provoke Mara's ghost into appearing just to tell him off.

"So, you quit training to 'elope' with Lando--"

Poke that beast!

"--because I wouldn't make a move?"

Poke.

"That's mature."

Poke, poke.

42. Ad Hoc

A loud beep interrupts his ad hoc invocation; an audio communication request is coming in through subspace. He checks the screen and frowns; this is encrypted, official government... who told them where to find him? This is probably a trap.

Eh, whatever. "Skywalker here."

A woman's voice purrs, "It's your Chancellor calling."

Gross. "Daala."

She explains her proposal.

"Hell, no."

"Oh, come now, Skywalker--"

"It's an obvious quid pro quo."

"Not necessarily," she says, "you'll be considered for a pardon in exchange for your service--"

"If they vote yes. No."

"Your Council approved it. You are awfully missed, Master Skywalker."

43. Vice Versa

He is stunned. "I'll have to hear that from them directly," he says, recovering himself.

"Of course."

"On a private, encrypted channel."

"Obviously. Daala out."

Another beep. "How are you?" It's Leia.

"Not great. You don't need me this badly."

"Luke, these people are suffering--"

"And you trust Daala to fix it?"

She describes the independent commission that will investigate and report on site. The open media access.

"And by choosing me to present the Alliance's proposal--"

"She improves your image and vice versa. I'm sending you the documents. They're entitled to their own choice, Luke."

Well, there is that.

44. De Facto

Natasi initially dismisses the allegations. Although Wil was alive during the tragedy, reports of researchers disguised as smugglers are current.

.... Researchers employed by an obscure foundation, funded in perpetuity. Like how he left her in the Maw with the weapons installation. In de facto perpetuity.

But he was a good man. Everything he did-- however harsh-- was for the good of the galaxy. He always followed orders with a clean conscience. This was an unsanctioned, un-strategic slaughter.

Shortly before his death, he sent his brother a message: Forgive me.

She's sick of defending his ghost.

What the hell were you doing, Wil?

45. Et Cetera

What Luke reads astonishes him.

Twenty millennia ago, two generational ships embarked at sub-light speed to colonize Mandhawi, and arrived three millennia ago. The convoy of terraforming ships for oxygenating the atmosphere, et cetera, didn't show. Miraculously, the people created a desert ecosystem themselves. Tatooine has nothing on this.

An alpine glacier nourished the City of Ancestors, and settlements scattered, creating new languages and cultures, nation states and international trade.

Then, forty years ago, a ship deposited an unknown substance on the glacier. The survivors renamed their metropolis the City of Ghosts and have not returned.

He understands Leia's interest.

Quid Pro Quo

Refugees seeking groundwater overwhelmed the canyon settlements, but they reconciled their cultural differences, shared knowledge, and built a bustling town.

Soon, smugglers started landing. Aside from two mass murderers, most have been fine.

Leia thinks this is the break these people need. Gallactic Alliance membership will provide security and health care. Long term site access will enable the commission to test the water and Alliance engineers to build a treatment plant and plumbing infrastructure. This quid pro quo involves Daala actually saving lives.

"She's trying to separate herself from Tarkin's legacy," says Leia. "Finally." Exposing his crimes polls well.

Carpe Diem

Many locals learned Basic by talking to smugglers, and stories about the Empire and successive governments give them pause.

But a man who destroyed the Death Star and threw Emperor Palpatine down a hole is at least worth hearing out. The Alpiners appreciate that he is a famous shaman and polite to women. The Canyoners are skeptical of his magic, but they like that he's a carpe diem kind of guy who gets things done.

Leia assures him that Daala is absolutely livid to be in this position; that's a good sign. He calls Daala back and proceeds to bargain.

Ad Astra

Luke ends the call.

He feels neither relief nor gratitude; attachment to outcomes refuses the will of the Force. If Daala thinks he will exert undue influence in order to see his son again, she is mistaken.

He fixates on those horrific first centuries, imagining having children on a Tatooine with poison air and failing seals. Time to change your mask, sweetie; can you take a big, big breath for me?

He flips the switch to full power. As the computer calculates the route, he recalls the phrase: sic itur ad astra. Thus one travels to the stars.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice insight in Daala and her dealings to get Luke

25. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Thank you! :) I've been writing more of her lately and she's turning out to be pretty fun. I don't know why, but she strikes me as having some real Nicholas Cage energy. Maybe it's the eyepatch?