main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Things people say while watching Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Amber Kenobi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    Even though you're supposed to be silent at movies, people do have a habit of blurting things out. Especially with Star Wars. What are a few humorous, disturbing or spoiler-y things people say?

For example, when I was babysitting this kid and watching RotS, he began dancing around and bellowing "FEED HIM TO THE LAVA," during the Obi/Anakin scene. I'm not quite sure who the kid was rooting for but it was just too disturbing to tell.

Next, when I was watching RotJ, a very long time ago, my mother said, "I bet that's Leia in disguise," in the Jabba's Palace scene. What a huge spoiler....

Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not my experience, but someone I know went to see TFA on the 18th

As soon as the "A long time ago" thing came up on screen, some kid who must have been no older than 12 or something shouted "HAN SOLO DIES" right before the opening crawl blared on

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Shhh!"

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was a thread about appropriate things to say while watching Star Wars.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "I love democracy. I love the Republic."
    "...as long as I am running it!"

*Anakin on the ledge overlooking the Tusken camp*
    "Time to open a can of whoopass."

*Yoda fighting*
    "Go go Kermit go!"

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    During the final Yoda/Sidious duel in ROTS, when it panned up to show the empty senate, I busted out this line:

"Will you defer your motion, to allow a commission to investigate the validity of your accusation?"

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I have heard similar stories for TESB!

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  7. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    Oh no.....is it...THE FATHER?

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Humourous or disturbing things? I can't remember all that many. This will have to be a straitlaced response based on honest recall.

This is also prequel-oriented for a couple of reasons:

i) I don't recall how audiences responded to ANH and TESB (the Special Editions which I saw once each on the big screen; and for whatever reason, ROTJ remains the only Star Wars film I've never seen at a cinema).
    ii) The audience response to TFA was very muted. But I will throw in a prequel-related tidbit at the end for it (I've also listed these in chronological order).

"This is insane!"
    My internal reaction to watching the podrace for the first time.

"I've been waiting for this moment!"
    The person I went to see TPM with turned to me and said this -- with obvious relish all over his features -- when Maul appears between the blast doors on Theed. Very exciting moment. I think it is slightly forgotten how much hype there was for TPM in 1998-1999. And, at last, we were finally watching the movie: the event of the millennium!

Palpatine, The Republic, etc.
    I don't remember the precise content of our chat, but in the lobby, I do remember me and my friend/acquaintance discussing certain aspects of TPM and where the story was heading straight after we exited the auditorium. If I remember correctly, it was mostly framed around what we felt the rest of the audience knew, or might have picked up on (we were sci-fi/Star Wars nerds and I think we assumed other people were not and had fun speculating about how surprised everyone would be come Episode III).

"Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"
    I remember some laughter toward this line, having something the quality of, "I can't believe he actually said that". The film might have elicited a few laughs along these lines, but this is the one I recall most clearly.

"What?"
    It may have been a wordless reaction, but I remember my friend turning to me (different friend) when we went to see AOTC, in one moment. During Obi-Wan's tour of the cloning facility on Kamino, the sound glitched for a second, and it was a bit distracting. I think we were both a little "thrown out" of the film, for a second, not least because it was a digital showing, and we might have foolishly believed such "jumps" weren't possible.

(knuckles gripping the side of the chair)
    During the sonic charges scene, I was almost cringing. Those sonic charges felt infinitely loud. A very cool moment looking back. I think something happened here. I have this suspicion that my soul probably cracked in two and I became mortally addicted to the prequel trilogy at that very instant.

"This is a bit too much?"
    My own head voice during the Threepio shenanigans in the droid factory. Oddly, I love that whole sequence today.

(nervous chatter, a general feeling of electricity)
    As Yoda strolled into the hangar and one of the most surreal cinematic moments of all time was born.

"Are you excited?"
    A uni flatmate I went to see ROTS with, for my first viewing, turned to me and said this with pithy condescension -- he liked pulling my leg a lot -- when "A long time ago..." finally came up on the screen. And, HELL YES, I was.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
    My viscera's reaction to ROTS' opening shot. I remember feeling that that shot felt like it was going on forever. The peculiar approach to music/sound design in that moment intensified my response to it immeasurably. It was almost scary. I also remember the detail very well. The hull of that Venator-class Star Destroyer looked insanely realistic when projected large.

"Cool!"
    Some nearby kid's reaction, on my second viewing (at a different cinema with a full house), when Grievous pulls out all his lightsabers, preparing to engage Obi-Wan. And it is one of those show-stopping moments, isn't it?

Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum
    The sound of my own heartbeat when Mace confronts Palpatine on my first viewing of ROTS. I was fully drawn into the film during that moment. It felt like anything could happen.

"He's cut off his legs..."
    This is probably the weirdest reaction of all because I heard it both times I saw ROTS in totally different locations. My own auditory hallucination? I don't think so. But you never know, right? Seriously, I remember verbalized responses to Obi-Wan destroying Anakin's physical essence at both showings, and it only made the moment all the more impactful.

(laughter during Vader's first breath)
    At my first viewing of ROTS, which had a pallid turnout (I waited the weekend out to see it), some student types laughed at a few moments, including Vader drawing his first breath. I reflexively returned a knowing chuckle. One of those moments that is part-intense, part-iconic. And if you're in a silly or self-conscious frame of mind, I suppose it's easy to chuckle at the pinch of nostalgia, the obviousness of the moment, or whatever. So it worked. But I was also glad to see the film a second time with a less cynical crowd (populated largely by families). That second viewing felt like the time I truly "saw" ROTS for the first time: it was a bigger cinema, with a fantastically larger screen, it was old-fashioned with sloping seats and ushers, the sound was significantly louder, I saw it with my own family, and everything seemed to have more impact. A fitting way to end the original prequel journey (1999-2005). Sadly, that cinema has since been demolished, but what an experience!

(tittering during Jar Jar scenes, whispering during the queen's ship in transit to Coruscant)
    Two sets of reactions I distinctly recall from kids during my viewing of TPM in 3D. The second was very interesting as I faintly saw and heard this one kid leaning in to his mom or dad and inquiring -- as best I could make out -- what had happened to Qui-Gon? Anakin, after all, looks very lonely before Padme acknowledges him, huddled almost motionlessly in the corner. Put a whole new slant on the scene for me.

(prequel chatter on New Year's Eve)
    The context for this last one is seeing TFA. I saw it at a bespoke cinema on December 31st with some family members and it was pretty groovy. Unfortunately, audience response to the film itself was fairly flat. However, there was a moment before the lights went down, pre-adverts, where some twenty-something guys, a few rows to the side of me, commented among themselves -- without a sneering tone -- that they originally saw TPM in the same cinema. I thought that that was pretty cool: the reminiscence, bringing that palpable feel of legacy to the proceedings (the cinema also had a decal of Leia and Artoo on the wall), and the total lack of deprecation; perhaps, even, the revivifying presence and sentimental tinge of appreciation. Appreciation for a journey begun in 1977 and still unfolding...

9. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I had the similar thing happen to me in TPM, it had been out for a few days before me and a few friends were able to see the film in a half packed theater. When we got to see Ewan and Liam pull back their hood, some of the audience applaud loudly, then all of sudden a teenage girl near the front shouted "Liam dies". There some mad people after that and a couple of swear words were said. It ruined it a little bit for me.

10. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I was very surprised when I went to watch Episode VII. I'm from Spain and I went to a spanish cinema (logically XD). The thing is there were many kids around in the cinema and I was glad to see they knew very much about the saga, the previous films and they even knew little details like the name of some vehicles and everything.

Disclaimer: Maybe there is spoilers ahead, about The Force Awakens (if you haven't seen the movie yet).

When Rey finds the lightsaber in the scene of the vision, when the camera focused on the lightsaber, a kid behind me shouted: "The Luke's lightsaber!!" ("¡Es el sable de luz de Luke!", in Spanish XD). And when Rey is eating in the desert, beside an old vehicle, the kid shouted (very excited) to his father: "Look, dad! It's an AT-AT!" ("¡Mira, papá! ¡Es un AT-AT!"). I was very pleasant with such an audience of kids, who were enjoying the movies and they knew the previous. I am talking about 7 or 8 years old kids. And they were very excited when Chewie and Han entered in scene, they shouted their names and clapped. It was an interesting experience. And I am glad to see the fathers did the "homework" with their children and they taught them the power of the Force very well XDD.

----

Another anecdote. Back in 2002, when "Attack of the Clones" was released, I went to watch the movie three times. The two first times everything was O.K. But, the last time, I felt sad for the people who haven't seen the movie yet. It happened, when the trailers were emitting on screen (before the movie started), a guy shouted: "In this film Yoda will fight at the end! With a lightsaber! It will be a crazy fight with a Sith and Yoda will jump like a frog!". He yelled that in very loud voice and everybody became temporarily unable to speak. I don't know why nobody draw out a lightsaber and pointed to the kid by his disturbing lack of respect XD. Anyway, it was a weird moment and I was glad to have seen the movie previously XD.

Seagoat, Sarge and Obi-Wan Catnobi like this.
  11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    "This is Star Wars; I am watching it!"
    "My eyes are glued to the screen while watching the Star Wars!"

12. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    "Porkins!"

13. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    My uncle talking about Kylo Ren: "I can't believe Disney would screw up Darth Vader's voice so bad!"

14. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Something I actually said the first time I saw TFA during the first scene and my husband was making noise with candy wrappers:

"Shh, this is church for me!"

To all of you churchgoers, I meant to disrespect, but it did feel like that at the time.

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  16. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I mean I meant NO disrespect. Sorry, new keyboard and it's a junky one, so my bad typing is worse than usual.

17. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    Yesterday I watched TPM with my family.

Jar Jar's entrance provided a chorus of groans.

18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    AOTC

Yoda jumping and fighting Dooku

"WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" audience reaction

My reaction to first time seeing Grievous with 4 lightsabers in ROTS

"HOLY ****!"

TFA Audience Reactions

Kylo removes his mask

"Are you ******* kidding?"

Some 12 year old when seeing the lightsaber in Maz's castle
    "Anakin! That's Anakin's! I knew it!"

My family watching ROTJ

My Dad "Oh, I hate this one." :p

19. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    Star Wars never gets old.

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    enigmaticjedi

Ok that's frigging weird. You liked my post like at the exact moment I opened this thread. Freaky timing but I like it!

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I remember when I first saw ANH back in 1977, a heard a few people laughing at Vader as he flew away from the Death Star explosion. (And, somewhere, I'm sure Vader said, "Yeah, just wait three years. You won't be laughing then.")

Flash forward six years later, and when Vader is watching the Emperor electrocute Luke, everybody was shouting at the screen, "Come on! Help him!" And the cheer when he grabbed Palpatine was near-deafening.

And a few years later, at one of the last pre-SE showings of the OT (the venue was Union County Arts Center in Rahway, NJ), when the title, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." came up, a few fans replied, "How long was it?" Nobody minded; we we're having a great time.

23. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011

[​IMG]

Obi-Wan Catnobi, Sarge and Seagoat like this.
  24. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    Obi is such a classic.

Speaking of which, I remember when Obi-Wan said "I have a bad feeling about this" in Aotc. My cousin, of course, yelled, "THAT'S NOT YOUR LINE! ANAKIN'S SUPPOSED TO SAY IT! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?" and naturally about everyone in the room stared at him.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    :confused: Obi-Wan never said that in AOTC.