main
side
curve
  1. The Summer 2020 RPF Awards

Greetings Guest, it is awards season!! Don’t miss out your chance to vote for the nominations! Voting ends on the 8th August. For more details, visit here

2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Thriller Historical Earth OPEN Things that go Bump in the Night

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Mistress_Renata, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Reva? Hey, babe, it's Sully. Listen, I been talking to the network and they need to fill a blank spot on the late summer line up. I pitched them that idea you had for a reality show, the ghost-hunting thing. What do you mean, what idea? You were telling me about it at Affleck's afterparty. You were joking?! Yeah, well, bad news, babe, the suits loved it, and they think they can put it together on the cheap. So, put together a casting call and I'll sort the technicalities. Yeah, you can have exec credit. Call me when you've got something on paper, we'll do lunch. Bye, kid!

Hi! We here at Haunted! are recruiting paranormal investigators for our new reality show, a short-term investigation that we hope to wrap up on October 31st. We've got openings for a cast of eight, to investigate an old house (don't worry; the owner gave us permission). We can provide some of the standard spook hunting equipment, but will require a three day commitment, with a few nights spent on site. We also ask our cast to be willing to record a video diary component, so our viewers can get a feel for your thoughts.

My first time as GM, and I am thinking of a free-flowing storyline with a lot of opportunity for input by players. Updates standard as well as via PM. Could be zany, might be creepy, up to you. In any case, I am hoping to wrap things up on Halloween, so a long-term commitment shouldn't be necessary. PM me if you are interested. So far, I've got slots for 8, but can add a few if needed.

Producer Reva Nova (GM)
    Camera & sound --NPCs, but could be players

Team Leader -- @DarkLordoftheFins
    Gadget Guy (has every kind of ghost-hunting gadget imaginable and has invented a few of them)
    Gullible Guy (the one who manages to be attacked by every demon and screams at the sound of rustling leaves)
    The Mystic (usually wears a lot of black, wanders around communing with the Other Side)
    The Newbies (have no clue what they're doing, but they're eager to dive in; we envision 2)
    The Historian (has dug around into the history of the house)
    The Skeptic (is pretty sure there is a scientific explanation for everything that happens) -- @Kurisan

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Kahara, Darth_Elu and Kurisan like this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Anyone who wants to submit a character sheet, I'm keeping them simple:

Name
    Brief bio of the character & how they signed up for the show

Rules:
    1) Respect the GM and each other
    2) Follow the TOS.
    3) No godmodding, but feel free to submit ideas via PM; I'm open to suggestions
    4) Feel free to collaborate on posts with me or with each other

The goal is to wrap the game up by October 31, and we'll officially start next Saturday (barring unforeseen emergencies) to give everyone time to plot. :D

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    GM approved

Name:
    Clive Randall
    Appearance:
    [​IMG]

Bio: Clive is the Master of Ghosts, the Haunter of the Haunted, the Hunter in the Dark and he has a dozen more such title. He is in television ghost hunting entertainment since he was 25, got a million followers on social media, a model contract, three divorced ex-wife’s and seven kids and a reputation for making a good show. That is all it is for him. A show, that entertains people. While his screen-persona is a true believer, his real self has more resemblance with a businessman or playboy. Once the cameras are rolling he is a happy man though. The camera loves him and that feeling is mutual. He can‘t wait to enter the production, especially as the budget was slightly higher and he negotiated royalties on the ad buys.

Clive Randall
    His office in Hollywood

„It is another haunted house? Really? We did about twenty of those. What about the ship idea?“ Clive was having his mobile at his ear and talked to Jenna Mitchell, his agent and Ex-wife. Number Two, actually. Split when he boned the baby sitter. Was never sure off that was his kid.

„Clive, it got a budget way out of the ordinary. Good channel. Not a freaky little pay TV thing, this will go nationwide!“ Jenna said.

„Nationwide you say? Okay, tell them I double my usual fee, if they got such a great budget.“ He sighed.

„Did that already. They accepted. You see? All is said and done, just be there and be the usual you!“ Jenna sighed.

She had obviously signed the contract without consulting him, but for a double fee? Who gave a damned. „Okay, I be there and I am gonna be great. As always. Speaking of which, you got plans for . . . „

„Yes, totally booked out until next year. By Clive.“ Jenna lay up and Clive leaned back.

„They doubled my fee.“ He grinned to Mara, his twenty year old secretary.

„That is great, Clive. Maybe we should talk about my payraise then?“ She asked.

Clive grinned. „Oh yes, we should. You are not one of those MeToo girls, are you?“ He asked with a broad grin.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Mistress_Renata likes this.
  4. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2016
    Approved by GM...

[​IMG]

Name: Saori Nishimura
    Country of origin: Japanese, currently a foreign student in North America
    Brief bio of the character & how they signed up for the show:
    (an early combo with @Mistress_Renata all credit due!)

“Okay, Saori, you been here three weeks. What have you achieved?”

Gary Kowalski leant back in his leather office chair and put his hands behind his head. The other side of the designer black-and-chrome table, Saori Nishimura shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She crossed her legs. Gary had set up a good angle to see under the desk from the mirror on the lower doors of the drinks cabinet across the room. He watched from the corner of his eye.

“Well, Sir, you had me shadowing the beat reporters, so really I was not able to actually…” began Saori.

“Yeah, yeah, I seen them pushing you around, sending you for coffee, copying. That’s the deal with internship, Saori. We all went through it. You got to go get your own stories anyway, on your own time!”

Saori looked down.

“You gotta prove you really want it, Saori. The TV news business is twenty-four-seven, rest is for the losers. You blink, you miss the story. You hear me?”

“I understand, Sir. I’ll try harder. If you could just give me some idea of what…”

“You don’t get spoon fed stories at K-ABC7, Saori! You tell me what’s hot in LA right now!”

She looked down again, unable to respond.

“I really don’t think you’re cut out for this Saori,” Gary laughed. “I mean, I just don’t see why I should give you any break at all. What have you done for me, eh?”

Saori looked up. Suspicion flickered across her face.

“Sir, if this is about that dinner, I’m sorry. I really could not come. My parents were visiting California for the first time, they don’t speak English, I had to…”

Gary stood up and held out a hand to silence her. “Forget it, Saori. You had a chance, you blew it.”

He turned, looked out of the top story window across Los Angeles, and sighed.

“Sir, please, I really need this experience… if I go back to McGill Uni and say I was cut, I lose the whole programme, my career…”

“Yeah, your career, Saori,” Gary turned back and grinned nastily at her. “You’re only 21. It’s fine, you’re still young enough to find something else to do.”

“I’ll do whatever you say,” said Saori, sitting up straight. “Just give me a chance.”

Gary folded his arms and made a show of thinking about it.

“Okay, Saori. I’ll give you a choice. I got a job here. This came in from ABC network. They own us. Someone’s gotta go, no ifs no buts. Network wants someone who’s used to a camera but still unknown, and, err, photogenic.”

He handed her a piece of paper. She scanned it, then looked up at Gary.

“A haunted house reality show? Are you kidding me?”

Gary laughed. “What can I say? They’re the money. I gotta send someone and they want a reporter.”

Saori sighed and placed it back on his desk.

Gary said, “Here’s the deal: You do this, give them some good copy, maybe scream a bit, I’ll take you on permanent. Promise. Who knows, someone might notice you and you get a network gig.”

Saori shook her head. “I want to be a serious reporter! These shows – I bet they’ll frighten us just for laughs, some kind of lame fake skeletons... I don’t want that for my debut…”

“What if there’s something real about the haunting?” he smirked. “That would be quite a story.”

“There’s no such thing as ghosts!” she cried.

He was making a fool of her. For what? Revenge? Because she did not go on one lousy date with him?

She said, “What’s the other option? You said there was a choice.”

Gary smiled. “I gotta go to Acapulco for a political piece. I can tell them you’re already booked for it, that I need you to, you know, take notes. We’ll be a in hotel. It means you, in a bikini, with me, for a week. What do you say?”

Saori stared at him. She said, “No other choice?”

He gestured. “There’s the door, Saori.”

She stood up and picked up the piece of paper. She looked him in the eye and said. “Tell them I’ll do the TV show.”

As she turned and walked out the door, Gary called after her. “I’m sure Don will be thrilled. You’re a fool, Saori!”

After she left, Gary dialled his phone.

“Yeah, this is Reva,” said a voice.

Gary said, “I got someone for you. You owe me big time.”

“You convinced someone? How?” said Reva.

“Threatened her with something I knew she’d hate,” laughed Gary.

“She’ll take it seriously, a real reporter?”

“A real Little Miss Sincere Diligence, just as you asked. I just sent you over a photo."

A pause.

“Oh yeah, she’s perfect,” purred Reva. “Her co-star won't be able to keep his hands off her!”

“So, yeah, who is that again?”

“You’ll see. This is gonna be great,” laughed Reva. “I owe you. Drinks next time I’m over, ‘kay? See ya, love ya.”

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    GM Approved Gadget Guy:

Name: Dr. Roland X. Quisley
    Country/City of Origin: Los Angeles, USA
    Brief bio of the character & how they signed up for the show: An LA native, Dr. Quisley got started in the ghost trade after a close encounter with one in the bedroom of his apartment. Three weeks from completing his PhD in Physics, he left his program and enrolled in an online doctorate in Advanced Paranormal Spookology from the Illumination College. He's since honed his trade as a ghost bounty hunter, bringing in ghouls from all over the American Southwest for the nation's leading eccentrics. His patented Microanalytic Electroscopic Subsonic Dark Energy Disruptor (pictured below) has never failed him, not even once!

Roland heard about the show "Haunted" from his college message boards. Sensing a research opportunity, his thesis chair and mentor, Dean Ludgate R. Westerhoff, encouraged Roland to set his supernatural bounties aside and return to more respectable pursuits. Roland reluctantly agreed.

Picture:
    [​IMG]

6. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    IC: Dr. Quisley

"Oh yes, there are definitely ghosts here," Dr. Quisley said to the man with him. The man was the owner of this haunted house, a popular Halloween attraction for the residents of Roswell. He had hired Dr. Quisley to investigate his attraction after its employees reported odd happenings in the night.

"Ya think so Doc?" the owner crooned.

"Definitely" Quisley said looking around. "You see those shadows over there in the corner?" he said pointing his gloved hand to the far end of the room. "They're darker than usual. Normal shadows are a kind of very dark grey or jet. Those puppies over there are black as coal."

He tapped on the large googles he was wearing.

"Hard to see with the naked eye, but my ghastrospectrometers are registering it quite clearly."

"Oh muy." said the owner. "Is it... are they... dangerous?"

Quisley furrowed his brow. "Hard to say. Dark energies are very fickle. If its garden variety ghoul, it'll just mind its own business. If its a shadow man or fiend, it could have a little more fight in it. I'd have to confront it to find out, and it might leave if I do."

Quisley lifted up his goggles to look at the owner.

"The big question is do you want it gone? Some supernatural entities might be pretty welcome in a haunted house. Don't have to pay them. But you might have to put up some liability signs though in case someone gets possessed or scratched."

The owner's mood seemed to lighten and it looked like he was fighting a smile.

"Oh hey now, dat theres a good point." he ran his fingers through his big bushy beard. "Could yah sign off on the fact that this here attraction is haunted? For liability reasons a'course."

"Not a problem" Dr. Quisley said smoothly. "I can even print out some readouts of the ambient ectoplasm levels if you'd like. For a small fee"

The owner extended a big handshake. "Sounds like a plan there pardner. You'll have da run of the place for the night. I'll be back in the mornin with muh checkbook fer the paperwork."

Quisley shook his hand. "Deal. I'll set up my spectralometers and get on that."

The owner dug in his pockets and threw Quisley the keys to the building. "Have fun!" he said. He then went out a nearby emergency exit and into the warm New Mexican night. Quisley put on his ghastrospectrometers and surveyed the room with a satisfied nod. Oh yes, the place was dripping with dark energy for sure. The googles beeped as one of the shadows pulsed.

Quisley then turned and went out of the house himself. He waved goodbye as the owners truck rumbled off the lot. There was then a rumble in his pocket. The doctor reached down and pulled out his phone. It was a text from his lab assistant, a young lad by the name of Lucifer. It was a long story, made more complicated by the fact that the kid was one of the nicest people Quisley knew.

A quick scan of the message revealed that the details for the new tv show he agreed to be a part of had came in to the office. Haunted, it was called. What a silly name. What was the show about? Ooof.

He closed the phone. That dumb show could wait. He would respond in a few hours. Right now, there were more enjoyable things to do. Science awaits!

TAG: No one for now, @Mistress_Renata if she wants!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  7. Ktala

Ktala Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Because the GM says I can! :D

Name Ramona Ed'tunde
    Country/City of origin Bahamas-Nassau
    [​IMG]
    Wears dark earth tones. Tends to look rather sleepy unless engaging the spirits. Ramona is rather easy-going in nature normally, except when she is crossin within, as he puts it. Then her mood and actions can change drastically.

She came to the US to visit some distant relatives and was enthralled by the different pace of city life. Also, there seems to be an unusual amount of activity in the area as well. She also found the number of phony psychics amazing. She decided to stick around to see how the 'real world' does things.

Ramona got on the show, because ROGER, her main spirit guide told her about the show. He told her that she would find it rather amusing, so she left Florida, and went to where the shows casting call was being handled. When she totally spooked out the production folks, by offering very detailed information about folks who had passed on, she was given a 'go'. It that what the television people say? Anyway, she was told she was going with a group to investigate some old house. Not exactly what she expected, but since ROGER thinks it might be important, she is willing to go along.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Mistress_Renata and Kurisan like this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    And today we officially kick things off! This is my very first time as GM, so I'm bound to screw some stuff up. But it's all in fun and I'm open to ideas & suggestions. Feel free to PM me anytime. I didn't create a thread in Resources, but I will if you all want one. Catchy titles welcome. There are a few slots open for latecomers, we'll figure out how to get them in. I'm hoping to wrap up the game on Halloween, that's 14 weeks from now. Idea is courtesy of @Reynar_Tedros, who saw a picture of a run down house & thought there was a story there.

Kurisan is on vacation this week, so I don't expect anything from her yet. If you're all going to be away for some reason, just let me know (if you can).

Reva Nova (GM) –show’s producer
    Mona (NPC/GM) –Reva’s hapless personal assistant
    Glenn (NPC/GM) –production assistant (mostly sits in the trailer, monitoring cameras & editing as needed)
    Camera Dude (NPC, but can be a character if requested)
    Sound Guy (NPC, but see above)

TEAM LEADER –Clive Randall (@DarkLordoftheFins)
    GADGET GUY –Dr. Roland X. Quisley (@Imperial_Hammer)
    SKEPTIC –Saori Ishimura (@Kurisan)
    MYSTIC –Ramona Ed’tunde (@Ktala)

GULLIBLE GUY --OPEN
    THE HISTORIAN --OPEN
    NEWBIES --OPEN

IC: EPISODE ONE
    Reva surveyed the cast members as they struggled out of the minivan that had brought them from the hotel. They seemed a bit out of sorts, but the Sleep-Tite Motel wasn’t exactly a 5 star property. It had the advantage of being close, though, and it had seemed clean when she’d checked it out. Actually, she wouldn’t be surprised if it was harboring a ghost or two itself. Which was one reason why she was staying at the Marriott in the next town over. “Mona, where are the others?” she asked.

“Uhh…” The young woman looked at her tablet. “One is stuck at the airport in Connecticut. The others were supposed to be driving in from Roswell. I haven’t heard anything from them.”

“Well, we can start with this.” She walked towards the group. “Hi, everyone! I’m Reva Nova, executive producer of Haunted! You remember me from the casting calls, I’m sure. Mr. Randall, very pleased to have your expertise. Dr. Quisley, likewise. We've got some gear, but I know you have some of your own. Ms. Nakamura, my friend Gary has spoken very highly of you. And Ms. Ed’tunde, you made a big impression on our casting office. So…welcome to your first haunted house!”

[​IMG]
    photo is credited to Carol Von Canon/Flickr

She gestured to the old Queen Anne style Victorian farmhouse at the end of the drive. It was surrounded by a grassy, overgrown field with pieces of crumbling iron fencework, and old trees. “We’ve set up some still cameras inside, which can do night vision recording, so we’ll be able to get some good pictures of anything that happens, and of course, our camera crew will be following you as well. We may need to ask you to go back a few times to get re-takes from multiple angles of you all entering the room.”

She pointed to a large plastic marquee set up by the trailer. “The trailer has all our production equipment. I’ll be in there with Mona and Glenn, our production assistant, monitoring the cameras and the radios. There’s also a small, soundproof booth where we’re asking you all to record your video diaries. That’s where you address the audience directly. You can say what you think of the house, of your teammates, speculate on what’s going on, whatever. The tent is for all of you, we’ve got coffee and some chairs in there, but you’ll be spending most of your time in the house. We’ve got a portable toilet at the end. Needless to say, the house doesn’t have working plumbing.

“Now. The plan today is for you to do a walkthrough of the property in broad daylight, get a feel for the place. Then you’ll go back to your hotels for some rest, and you’ll come back tonight around nine when we’ll put you in a lockdown. You’ll spend the whole night exploring the place, and trying to gather whatever information you can about what’s going on.

“Mona’s got some equipment for you…” She nodded to the young woman who came around with a crate. “Radio headsets, so you can communicate with each other and me. Flashlights, for emergencies. We’ve got night-vision goggles with a small camera, so that we can see whatever you’re looking at. Two PKE meters, you can fight over those, to detect psycho-kinetic energy. We’ve got a multi-meter, to detect EMF fields and temperature fluctuations, an infrared imaging camera as well as three regular cameras, and we’ve got six EVP recorders. We’ve also got a laser grid generator, which we can set up when you’ve done a survey to determine where the most activity is. Okay? So, get yourselves comfortable. I’ve got the owner of the house on his way, he’s going to give you a bit of background on the history.”

TAG: Everyone

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Ktala, Kurisan and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  9. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    [OOC: In before the holiday!]

Saori; morning meeting on location

[​IMG]

Saori struggled out of the minivan, feeling a little hungry and tired. The breakfast at the motel had been non-existent, and she had not slept well. Someone had knocked on her door late at night, persisting for some time before giving up, while she had cowered silently in her bed. Probably a drunk with the wrong room number, but she had wondered if it was some stunt to get her in the mood for the haunted house. She was frightened at first, and not impressed.

Still, she had showered early and put on her business blouse and skirt, and her best professional smile for the day ahead. She approached all tasks with the Japanese spirit of gambaru.

Reva Nova introduced herself. She was a Hollywood sort, brash and confident.

She came to Saori and said, “Ms. Nakamura, my friend Gary has spoken very highly of you.”

And there it was. From the first moment, the reminder of what fate waited for her if she dared pull out. And with it, the dismissive declaration of her lesser importance in the cast.

“I, umm, actually it’s Nishimura,” Saori started. But Reva had already moved on, gladhanding the others.

Saori buried the humiliation inside and kept her smile bright. She looked over the house. It certainly looked the part; magnificent and mysterious, right out of a scary movie. Then she surveyed her fellow participants.

She groaned internally, seeing Randy Randall. He was famous, had made himself rich with bogus ghost documentaries. She had been hoping for a cast of nobodies, that the whole thing would pass by without registering much interest. At least he would be hogging the limelight, she decided. I am just here to report. I will do my best, she repeated her mantra.

Dr. Quisley was ludicrous. A manboy with wacky toys. He might be fun to observe, she decided.

Saori was slightly wary as she lined up next to Ramona Ed’tunde. She had a scary demeanour and Saori decided she did not want to get on her bad side.

Reva was explaining the production set up and the way they wanted to get takes. Saori nodded. She was familiar with this process.

Then Reva said, “The house doesn’t have working plumbing.”

“What did she just say?” Saori said to Ramona. Ramona did not seem to be paying attention, and Reva soon moved on to the next item. The producer spoke like a machine gun. Saori groaned inside again. This just keeps on getting better.

The equipment box came out and Saori stared. She had no idea what most of this stuff was meant to do, nor how it allegedly worked. The explanations were ridiculous. Even Reva seemed to be taking the notion of ghosts in the house seriously, and no-one was objecting to that.

Saori sighed and accepted the radio headset. She also chose a pair of goggles with inbuilt camera. She could remove the fibre-optic camera and pin it to her blouse. She would not be wearing the goggles. She also picked up a flashlight. She decided to let the others fight over the gadgets.

She had a small handheld audio recorder with a blank minitape – the instant quote collector and standard armament for a reporter. She showed it to Reva and said, “Is it OK if I use this to record my thoughts as it goes on?”

After that, she desperately needed to get coffee from the tent...

TAG: @Mistress_Renata @DarkLordoftheFins @Ktala @Imperial_Hammer

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  10. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Clive Randall
    Morning Meeting on location

Clive was on his mobile, as the producer went through the notes. Reva had done shows with him before, she knew he would be on point, when he needed to be and preferred not to be bothered otherwise. He looked up and gave Mona a wink though. Then he went back to Tinder. Swiping right everything remotely acceptable in the area. Wasn‘t much. Finally when Reva was done he turned to the camera guys.

„Get some establishing shots of the house and don‘t mess up the sundown shot. Needs to look good in fast forward, you hear me? I saw your last show and you totally did not get that one right.“ He said and then turned to the others. „Okay, everyone. Let us not forget what this is about, okay? There is a deeper purpose to this. A mission, a meaning.“ He turned his finger up and looked into the round.

„RATINGS.“ He then said. „We want ratings and I usually get spectacular ratings on a shoe-string budget, so let us get incredible ratings for this one, right? I expect everybody to be top of his game. Be scared and scary, but DO NOT OVERACT! Nobody buys the exorcist, everyone wants to have another Blair Witch Project, alright? Okay, are the entrance cameras left or right, because I look much more masculine from the right the last A/B testing said. Also, do we have a cellar in this thing? I had no good cellar scene since 2017 and I think it is time we have one.“ He clapped his hands. „Okay, guys let us do this!“

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Kurisan, @Imperial_Hammer @Ktala

11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, this is going to be a wild ride! And @Kurisan, your photoshop skills continue to leave me in awe. ^:)^

Part Two of Episode 1:

IC: Reva Nova
    Reva arched an eyebrow. “Don’t jump ahead of yourself, Randall,” she scolded him. “I haven’t given you the background yet.” Mona was walking back over to the group, escorting a large, rather nervous-looking man who seemed to be in his mid-thirties. He was wearing a Rangers cap and had a shirt advertising a bait shop in Galveston.

“Folks,” said Reva, “I’d like you to meet Earl. The house is his. He’s going to tell us all about the house and it’s history, as well as some of the experiences people have had.” Earl looked at her.

“Well, I dunno, ma’am,” he said. “Like I tried to tell you on the phone, I inherited the house three months ago, and I didn’t know anything about it. The lawyer fellow said it belonged to my Great-Aunt Erma. I didn’t even know I HAD a Great-Aunt Erma. My momma said that her momma had a sister, and there was some sort of quarrel, and she went off and no one ever saw her again. And then, three months ago, out of the blue, I got a call from the lawyer, asked me if I was related to Granny, and then he said her sister had died inder—inter—without a will and I was the sole heir. So that’s about all I know. My wife wanted to move right in, but I’m thinking maybe we’ll fix up the place and sell it. Or…” Earl looked doubtfully at the house, which seemed to have a baleful look, even in broad daylight. “Or maybe we’ll just sell it without fixin’ it up, I dunno. But in terms of history or hauntings, well, I don’t know anything about any of that. Folks round here told me that Great-Aunt Erma kept herself to herself, wasn’t any too friendly. They said she’d been dead a while before she got found. She’s buried up in the cemetery on the other side of town. Guess she was a bit of a hoarder, too, there’s all kinds of stuff in there. My kids and I took all the bundled-up newspapers and magazines to the dump, but we really only got through the first floor. And really, that’s all I know. I don't know about any experiences, or anything. We did feel like someone was watching us and we heard a few noises, like some thumps, but we didn't see nothing or nothing like that. I checked through the house, too, there was nothing there.”

Reva looked at the camera crew. “Did you get all that?” she said. She put her radio to her ear. “Glenn?” She made a face at the response. “Ugh, Earl, I’m gonna have to ask you to repeat it for the camera, we want to get the house in the shot. Everyone else, Mona’s going to give you a rundown on the house. MONA!”

Reva trooped off with the crew to coach Earl on a more acceptable history, while Mona gathered the team together and cleared her throat. “We’re going to do the first floor, the second floor, then the basement and the attic,” she said. “Reva’s scheduled four hours here before we’re bringing you back to the motel for a break.

"You can have some coffee before you go in, you've got some time to get organized, and there's water bottles to carry with you. Don’t forget your video diaries about your first impressions before you leave for the motel. And good luck!”

OOC:
    The first floor has a staircase directly ahead of you as you come in. To the right is a large parlor, with a an archway leading in to the formal dining room. To the left is a small study (I’m deviating from the actual layout of the house in the photo). At the end of the entrance corridor is a door leading to the kitchen, which has a small bathroom to the left and a large pantry to the right. A door to the right of the entrance leads down to the basement. There is a conservatory behind the house, near a very overgrown garden, and a few other ruined outbuildings.

TAG: Everyone (and I know everyone hasn’t yet had a chance to respond, but I did want to finish putting the intro up.) So, here we go!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Kurisan likes this.
  12. Ktala

Sep 7, 2002
    Ramona Ed'tunde
    On Location

Ramona had climbed out of the van with the other people. She had slept well, and while yes the place was cheap, it was not unbearable. She didn't think ROGER would ever shut up. But she made it through the night, and now she was here. As she stepped out of the van, she arched a critical eyebrow at the place. She grew more annoyed with a man with non-stop drivel stepped in front of them.

“Well, we can start with this.” She walked towards the group. “Hi, everyone! I’m Reva Nova, executive producer of Haunted! You remember me from the casting calls, I’m sure. Mr. Randall, very pleased to have your expertise. Dr. Quisley, likewise. We've got some gear, but I know you have some of your own. Ms. Nakamura, my friend Gary has spoken very highly of you. And Ms. Ed’tunde, you made a big impression on our casting office. So…welcome to your first haunted house!”

Ramona gave a wry grin, but said nothing, drinking in all the details of the place. Other bits of information were delivered in rapid fashion then. No working toilets. Cameras. Video. Make a recording of their first impressions. Ramona took the time to look at the others who would be including in this tv show. Some of them had very interesting auras.

//, My Gods, this place is old!//

"Wacha expectin?" Ramona whispered softly, as she walked about while listening to the instructions. She missed what the other woman next to her had said. ROGER had a big mouth. Then someone mentioned equipment.

"Mona’s got some equipment for you…” She nodded to the young woman who came around with a crate. “Radio headsets, so you can communicate with each other and me. Flashlights, for emergencies. We’ve got night-vision goggles with a small camera, so that we can see whatever you’re looking at. Two PKE meters, you can fight over those, to detect psycho-kinetic energy. We’ve got a multi-meter, to detect EMF fields and temperature fluctuations, an infrared imaging camera as well as three regular cameras, and we’ve got six EVP recorders. We’ve also got a laser grid generator, which we can set up when you’ve done a survey to determine where the most activity is. Okay? So, get yourselves comfortable. I’ve got the owner of the house on his way, he’s going to give you a bit of background on the history.”

Ramona stared at the pile of equipment like it was a nest of vipers. It didnt help that ROGER was laughing. She gingerly leaned over and picked up a flashlight. That, could be useful. They think they want cameras? She took one of those as well. She didnt want anything else to do with the other equipment presented. She looked back to the producers. Some loudmouth spoke up next.

"Okay, everyone. Let us not forget what this is about, okay? There is a deeper purpose to this. A mission, a meaning.“ He turned his finger up and looked into the round.

"RATINGS.“ He then said. „We want ratings and I usually get spectacular ratings on a shoe-string budget, so let us get incredible ratings for this one, right? I expect everybody to be top of his game. Be scared and scary, but DO NOT OVERACT! Nobody buys the exorcist, everyone wants to have another Blair Witch Project, alright? Okay, are the entrance cameras left or right, because I look much more masculine from the right the last A/B testing said. Also, do we have a cellar in this thing? I had no good cellar scene since 2017 and I think it is time we have one.“ He clapped his hands. „Okay, guys let us do this!“

Ramona turned her head, and asked one of the other members of the group, "What is dis Blair Witch Project?"

//HEY! They are calling for you.//

Ramona turned her head and saw that once more there were being gathered to group. But this time, there was another man standing there.

“Folks,” said Reva, “I’d like you to meet Earl. The house is his. He’s going to tell us all about the house and it’s history, as well as some of the experiences people have had.” Earl looked at her.

“Well, I dunno, ma’am,” he said. “Like I tried to tell you on the phone, I inherited the house three months ago, and I didn’t know anything about it. The lawyer fellow said it belonged to my Great-Aunt Erma. I didn’t even know I HAD a Great-Aunt Erma. My momma said that her momma had a sister, and there was some sort of quarrel, and she went off and no one ever saw her again. And then, three months ago, out of the blue, I got a call from the lawyer, asked me if I was related to Granny, and then he said her sister had died inder—inter—without a will and I was the sole heir. So that’s about all I know. My wife wanted to move right in, but I’m thinking maybe we’ll fix up the place and sell it. Or…” Earl looked doubtfully at the house, which seemed to have a baleful look, even in broad daylight. “Or maybe we’ll just sell it without fixin’ it up, I dunno. But in terms of history or hauntings, well, I don’t know anything about any of that. Folks round here told me that Great-Aunt Erma kept herself to herself, wasn’t any too friendly. They said she’d been dead a while before she got found. She’s buried up in the cemetery on the other side of town. Guess she was a bit of a hoarder, too, there’s all kinds of stuff in there. My kids and I took all the bundled-up newspapers and magazines to the dump, but we really only got through the first floor. And really, that’s all I know. I don't know about any experiences, or anything. We did feel like someone was watching us and we heard a few noises, like some thumps, but we didn't see nothing or nothing like that. I checked through the house, too, there was nothing there.”

Ramona frowned slightly. One goes a dying inside the place, could stir up something. She vaguely listened when they talked about trying to go thru the entire house. But they would only be there for 4 hours before they went back to the hotel.

Maybe.

And there was coffee and water. Ramona would take both. The water she slipped into a pouch she had. She went nowhere without her sage bundles, her candles, her salt, and waters. The silver rings she wore on her fingers, and the various beads and trinkets she wore around her neck, were also needed. Romana walked over to the front of the house, and stood staring at for a few moments. She then looked up to the sky, before she then turned around, and headed for the tent that would have the coffee.

And if she could get ROGER to behave himself, she would sit on the grass outside of the home, and take a reading.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Kurisan, @Imperial_Hammer, @DarkLordoftheFins

13. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: Reva Nova
    Craft Tent

Reva stuck her head inside the tent where the team were milling around. "All right, people," she said. "What are you waiting for? We want to wrap by 2 so you all have a chance to rest before tonight. Come on, time is money!"

TAG: Everyone

Kurisan likes this.
  14. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    IC: Dr. Quisley

Stepping out of the bus, Quisley shielded his eyes. Ugh, way too bright out. He was not used to doing work in the daytime. Did they not know the photons in sunlight de-energized ectoplasmic fields? Real dumb.

The show's producer was present, and acknowledged the people that had been traveling with. There was Clive Randall, a first class hack. A poser, he fancied himself a ghost hunter, but those who truly did the work were well aware of his ulterior motives. Quisley's paths had not ever crossed with Randalls, but his reputation greatly proceeded him. Quisley had almost cancelled his contract when he learned Randall was involved with the show, but his colleagues at the Illumination College persuaded him otherwise.

The two women he did not know. The Asian woman's last name was apparently Nakamura. What she did, he had no idea. The other woman's last name was Ms. Ed’tunde. She was dressed in a very new-agey way, so right away Quisley was turned off. If she was a psychic, oh boy. There was a big debate at the Illumination College about the usefulness of physics. Some scholars believed they were absolutely necessary to contact the other side. Quisley did not fall in that camp. He felt, along a slim majority of his colleagues, that they adherents to an entirely misguided understanding of the paranormal. Not as bad a hack as Randall was, but far off base for what was really happening.

He was snapped out of his musing as the producer detailed the grounds and where everything was. He naturally went to the trunk of the minivan to get out some of the gear he insisted upon bringing along. Amateur hour operations like the show will have only the most basic stuff. Night vision cameras, PKEs, EMFs. Like using a magnifying glass to study bacteria, or binoculars to view the stars. Entirely insufficient. He overheard the producer give instructions for the next few hours.

"Now. The plan today is for you to do a walkthrough of the property in broad daylight, get a feel for the place. Then you’ll go back to your hotels for some rest, and you’ll come back tonight around nine when we’ll put you in a lockdown. You’ll spend the whole night exploring the place, and trying to gather whatever information you can about what’s going on."

Eeeh. At least he could get a feel for where he would be working tonight. He could get started on equipment set up as well.

He hauled a few crates of wires and electronics off the van as he overheard Randall ordering the cameramen to this and that. He really hoped Randall stayed away from him.

As Quisley set the last box of his equipment down, he heard the producer motion for everyone to get closer. Apparently the owner had arrived. Just a few minutes late. Weeeelll, this was at least interesting to know. He walked over to the group to listen in. Could be some good clues to what kind of dark energy is in the building.

The owner, Earl, described his experience with the house. Inherited by a mysterious great aunt. No obvious hauntings. A number of materials in the house, as the aunt was a horder. A few unexplained bumps and thumps heard. Quisley rubbed his chin. If the place was haunted at all, it may be the dead aunt's ecto-signature. Horders form strong attachments to the places they dwell in life. Entirely possible there could be a cursed relic or other dark energy generating object. That would be a little more of a wild-card. Could be any type of spirit attached to that, from fiend to shadowman to white ghoul. Definitely will need to bring his spiritual substrate analyzer with him.

The crowd broke, with the producer inviting them to explore the house. Fine. Quisley went back to his equipment and rummaged for a few things. Ghastrospectrometers for sure. He put the googles over his head and powered them on. There was a few beeps, then they began projecting multispectrum readouts onto the lenses. He'd also need that substrate analyzer. A few more boxes popped open and he found it. It looked like a metal brick with an antenna sticking out, like a buffed up remote with a screen. He flipped the switch and the screen turned on. This puppy read ectoelectronic changes in various physical items. It would be essential to identifying any cursed, charmed, or spiritually energizing objects.

He stood up from his equipment in time to watch the presumed psychic walked up to the house, look at it, look at the sky, and then turn around. Really. Definitely psychic shenanigans. He heard the producer shouting something about time being money. My goodness. He needed to get away from these people.

Alright, if no one was going in, he would be the first. He passed the psychic without saying anything, opened the front door, and strode into the old house. Pretty par for the course for an old place. Lots of nice woodwork. Big staircase right in front to the upper floor. He reached up to the googles to calibrate them for the darker lighting. Not much out of the ordinary - not surprising either. Looked like a study to the left, a parlour to the right, and judging by the tile, a kitchen down the hall.

Now if he was a cursed object, where would he hide. Study is probably the best place. He turned and began walking into the study. He began waiving his substrate analyzer over some of the nearby furniture, looking for any spikes in ectoelectronic charge.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Kurisan, @Ktala , @DarkLordoftheFins

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    Kurisan and Mistress_Renata like this.
  15. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Clive Randall
    The House

The whole description thing was the usual nonsense. No signs of haunting, goosebumps. Great aunt. Yalalalala. He heard it all before. He hoped they had digged up or made up something interesting of the Great Aunt, actually. Something they could use. The Video Diary came up, yeah he would do one of his standards. Reva Nova seemed to know what she was doing, everyone else took this very serious. Good.

The Quisley person was the first to enter the house, actually. Clive followed him, picking up a coffee on the way. He looked around and it was suitable creepy. With the right light, night-vision and stuff he think they could make something out of it. Yawning he saw the Doc go off to the study or salon or whatever they called it.

„Nice visuals, hm?“ He said to him and for now ignored the psychics or whatever the girls represented. he would get familiar with The Who-is-who in the evening in the hotel. He hoped it was not such a rat infested place as it had been in Denver. These small town motels were hit and miss.

He walked around. The kitchen was okay. The dining room maybe good for a seance or some stuff. Parlor. Bathroom. Bedrooms were upstairs, probably. He decided he needed to see the cellar. He had the feeling this one would need a good cellar scene. Something about dark cellars was always effective and he felt he had not done a good cellar in a while. Sipping his coffee he opened the gnarling door to the underground and took the steps. Hopefully it was a good cellar.

He wondered if any of the girls were single. Not that he cared. If they were single. Taking a sip of his coffee he looked for the light to see what kind of cellar he got there.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Imperial_Hammer, @Kurisan, @Ktala

16. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Saori
    The House

Saori sipped her coffee and gratefully nibbled a pastry. She observed the others quietly. She noticed a sort of war of domination already developing between Randall and Reva - two large TV personalities likely heading for a crash. She found them both a little intimidating. Ramona was also quiet, and seemed to be studying the aura of the house.

The owner arrived and said his part. Saori hid her smile. He obviously had not read Reva's script, and gave a distinctly normal description of a normal old house. Reva took him away, presumably to coach him into a far spookier speech for the cameras.

What am I doing here? Saori sighed. How did I get trapped into this?

Quisley was rummaging around in the box of equipment. He was the only one that had any apparent interest, so he had the pick of the tools - but even he did not seem satisfied, and supplemented with his own baffling collection of devices.

Reva appeared at the entrance of the tent and told them to get on with looking round the house. Saori reminded herself of her motivation; Give them some good copy, maybe scream a bit, I'll take you on permanent, promise, Gary had said.

Okay then, let's get on with it. She finished her coffee.

She followed Quisley into the house, politely pausing while Randall pushed ahead of her. She thought the "scientist" might give some interesting insights so she half-heartedly shadowed him for a while.

The house was indeed creepy, but also fantastic. It was huge; far larger than anything she had lived in Japan, or even her condo in LA, and then there was the extensive grounds. She took her time to try and memorise the layout. She wondered what the sleeping arrangements would be - there did not seem to be much prepared in that way.

She bumped into Quisley again in a corridor. He was thoughtfully examining his equipment. She knew she needed to participate in this "team" at some point, so she tried to break the ice.

"Hi, I'm Saori," she held out a hand and smiled. "Umm, what is that you are actually doing?"

TAG: @Mistress_Renata (was the map any good?) @Imperial_Hammer

17. Ktala

Sep 7, 2002
    Ramona Ed'tunde
    On-Location - The House

Ramona quietly finished her coffee. As much as she felt from the house, she felt more from the others around her. There was Clive Randall. First to enter the house. Ramona's eyes followed the mans ovements. ROGER told her that he was all fluff, no substance. He talked the talk. But it was all for show. Like most of the people around here. The woman who had kind of spoke earlier, Saori Nishimura, ROGER seemed interested in her. Foreign, well that was obvious. But ROGER said something about her screamed desperate. So she might be open to some things if the place was truly gifted. The woman was looking for something. And she might find it here.

Ramona put down her cup and walked slowly up to the house. Oh yes. The one they called Doctor. Dr. Roland Quisley. He looked like he was carrying half of the space station with him. As ROGER put it, a real bonified ghost bounty hunter. ROGER stated a few things not used in polite company and stated he would not be anywhere near the man. Also warned Ramona that he might be messing with the 'natural order of things' as he put it. And there was Reva Nova. The executive producer of the 'show'. She would mostly be in the production van. Get things moving, so to speak. Wonder if she knew what was in store. Would they try a trick or two? Or would one get played instead?

Interesting.

Ramona entered last, or close to it. She wanted to get a feel of things, without the presence of the others around her. Ramona walked from room to room. As she did, she spoke into the recording device. Mostly just noting first impressions, what it looked like, the things inside. A kitchen was a good place to start. So would be the bedrooms. She told ROGER to go check out the back of the place, especially the overgrown garden. It would keep him away from the doctor in any case.

Ramona wondered if she would feel anything this early. True, most spirits seemed to prefer the night. Perhaps it was to avoid seeing all that they missed during the day. Except for ROGER of course. Most likely, iy anything was here, it would either make it known it didn't like what was going on... or it would wait and see. She did wonder why ROGER felt it would be of interest.

Perhaps for the laughs?

Either way, she flittered about the house. She would speak if someone said anything to her.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Kurisan, @Imperial_Hammer, @DarkLordoftheFins

18. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    @Kurisan, the map was perfect! Feel free to share

All right, we’re winging this a bit…

THE BASEMENT

A musty, rank smell assaulted the nostrils as the door was opened. The steps were steep, and creaked with every step. There was a lightbulb with a string attached at the top of the stairs. Another string dangling down switched on an old set of fluorescent lights, which buzzed and flickered erratically, doing very little to dispel the damp gloom.

The walls were rough cut stone, unpainted. At the bottom of the stairs, in the right corner, was a very old washing machine, almost an antique. A rough counter painted in grungy enamel paint ran along the wall, ending with an old, deep wash sink, stained with rust. There were shelves along the walls, and spiderwebs liberally swagged across the rafters. At the far end of the cellar was a small metal trap door, not quite a meter square, and about six inches off the ground, with a heavy padlock anchoring it closed.

At the base of the wall, out of the corner of one’s eye, a small black shadow darted behind a pile of boxes and disappeared…

TAG: @DarkLordoftheFins

THE GARDEN

The steps leading outside sagged, unpainted, and the second step had a gaping hole. To the left of the steps was a tilting clothesline. A few meters beyond it was a small, crumbling pile of stones, with boards piled over them.

The garden was overgrown, and unseasonably cold. There might once have been a plan, a structure, but now everything had gone to seed. Foxglove, thyme, and lavender mixed with poppy, belladonna and pumpkin vine. The mint had run wild. An old-fashioned summerhouse, with tattered screens, was at the center. A broken wooden gate at the far end suggested that there might once have been a path that went into the wood behind the house. And if one looked, very carefully, one might spot a flat stone or two, crudely carved…

TAG: @Ktala

THE FIRST FLOOR

The house might have been elegant once, before a stock market crash, a depression and a World War left a family in shock and apathy. The wallpaper was yellowed from age and cigarette smoke, and overstuffed furniture had been chewed by tiny teeth until old stuffing burst out from the cushions. Piles of newspapers and magazines were stacked on chairs and tables, and in the center of the rooms, while pathways had been carved through them. Creatures looked down from ceilings or up from shelves, created by a second-rate taxidermist, their glass eyes seeming to follow the intruders. The kitchen sink was stacked with dishes, with old meals encrusted on them, and piles of plastic containers and their lids, carefully washed and saved, teetered on countertops and tables, ready to collapse if touched.

In the study, the same chaos reigned, only here there were piles of books stacked with the magazines and newspapers, some open haphazardly.

Only in one space, in the bay window, was there any order. A small card table with a dark red cloth, and a comfortable chair pulled up to it. At its center was a round crystal ball, mounted on an old rosewood stand carved with dragons. And a delicately lacquered box stood on the table to the side.

TAG: @Imperial_Hammer, @Kurisan

What the... who are these people? Why are they in my house?!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 3:58 PM
  19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Clive Randall
    The Cellar

The place was gloomy. Really gloomy. The light flickered and for a second he thought he had seen something behind . . . No, that was probably only his imagination. There was a trapdoor. He took out his flashlight and looked at it, then gave it a half-hearted attempt to open it. Locked. Why the hell where there locked door in the house. And what was this smell? He knelt next to the trapdoor and used the flashlights search the cellar. A shiver ran over his back. Something was indeed spooky about this place. Very spooky, indeed.

Rats. A bunch of dead rats. He pushed himself up and walked over. Disemboweled. If this was a special effect it was a convincing one. No. They did not have the budget for that. Also the smell was too real. No something had killed these rats. A cat probably. Hopefully. If this was a dog or another rat . . . Or a ghost. He laughed at the thought. Oh man, this place was good. He had to give Reva that.

Taking out his small camera, he collected himself and then put it on selfie mode. A perfect spot for his video diary. A sound made him almost shriek. Something was down here.

„This is Clive. Day one and I have checked the cellar. I feel a darkness here. Something is down here and I have found this.“ He pointed the camera to the dead rats. „I think this cellar needs attention. Whatever is in this house, it has been down here and . . . It is angry. I can‘t wait to get to the depth of this,“ He ended the diary and felt a little calmer. Yet, he had no desire to stay down here any longer. Quickly he made his way upstairs and felt much saver once he saw sunlight again. He wondered if he should get everybody to work on the cellar, but then remembered they had only limited time here now.

„Just a TV show, do not behave like one of these fools.“ He said and took a sip of his now cold coffee. This stuff was horrible. It was not the only horrible thing though. This could be an amazing show! He went out again and walked over to the next production member he could find.

„Hey, are there cats in the house?“ He asked casually, or as casually as he could.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata

20. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Saori
    The House, First Floor

Quisley seemed too preoccupied with his tests to answer Saori. Or perhaps he was one of those guys who thought of girls as an alien species. Or perhaps he just did not notice her. She was not exactly as impressive as Randall or Ramona.

Stop it, Miss Lack-of-self-confidence, she scolded herself.

Her mental map kind of completed, she drifted into the study again to look more closely. More of the stuffed animals lurked on the shelves here, too. Saori shuddered. She had felt a nagging sensation of being watched upon entering the house. Randall was banging around in the cellar, so it wasn't because of him. Though cameras had been installed, she was used to them and knew they were not live yet.

Strange. She shook off the feeling and put it down to the animals. The glass eyes seemed alive, and followed her around the room. She wondered how anyone could have thought them attractive decorations.

She traced a line in the dust on a pile of books. There were volumes on herbalism, medicine and gardening and… the occult? She turned the book and looked more closely. That did not look planted by Reva. It was as old and dusty as the others. She leafed through a few pages until the gruesome diagrams made her shudder again.

Then she noticed the bay window, and the table with the red cloth. A crystal ball? This has to be a set up, Saori decided. She would ask Ramona about it later. That would be a good ice-breaker, perhaps.

Saori remembered she needed to do a quick video diary over in the booth near to the production trailer. She started to organise her thoughts.

Before she turned away, something, she did not know what, made her feel like reaching out toward the crystal ball.

She extended a hand and her fingers lightly touched it…

TAG: @Imperial_Hammer @Mistress_Renata

Saori's mental map...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 3:40 AM