main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things that were better in adaptation and those you hope WILL be

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Miras-Etrin, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Despite the cliché, sometimes the adaptation of intellectual property is better then the property itself.

For Example:
    I, Claudius: The books are mostly written in quite dry exposition and from what I get, Graves was also kinda unimpressed with his own creation. On the other hand, TV series employed crafty screenwriters and much wider options.

Millennium trilogy: Larsson had isuess. He was sci-fi fan, so I kinda understand it, but I simply couldn´t read it. Well, I´ve read the second book, but it would be impossible for me to stand another wave of fillbusters about misogyny and sexual violence against women or just simply bad writing. However Oplev/alfredson and especially Fincher could dig the better stuff out of it

Considering future, I have unfortunaly only sci-fi examples that might work out for the better.
    Ready Player One: Written by Ernest Cline who obviously thinks that "being geek" is some sort of cool identity that should be cherished. Unfortunaly, it turns out, the story is more about obsession than about things geeks like themselves. The movie willl work with the real picture and sound and possibly toned down screenplay.

The Expanse: 2015 TV series is gonna be based on page-turner, I ´ll give it to that. The first volume, Leviathan Wakes, was nominated for Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2012 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Why, for the love of God?!The setting is uninteresting, characters one-dimensional and the great discovery is hodgepodge of action sci-fi clichés. However, for the satisfaction of my curiosity, I´ll read the final third of the book. TV series is written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby with quite good filmography. Who knows what they might do with it?