main
side
curve
  1. The Summer 2020 RPF Awards

Greetings Guest, it is awards season!! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!! To see the winners of the Summer 2020 Awards, visit here

2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Fantasy OPEN Things We Lost in the Fire

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by The Jedi in the Pumas, Jun 13, 2020.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Outspoken and Enraged Mod of SWTV and SWC star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jul 15, 2014
    IC: Mei-Ling Shu
    Lao Khan Garden Center, Middle Ring, Ba Sing Se

Mei-Ling had never seen a more wonderful looking garden. She had agreed to come with Sha-Sin, after she had pulled both her and Jiao aside before they left, warned them of what would happen. Jiao had decided to leave to explore the city. But even though she was nervous, but Mei-Ling decided that no matter what happened she would keep her mouth shut, regardless of what was done to the Fire Nation today. Although; Mei-Ling was greatful they would not be involving Fire Nation civilians in gathering information, and whatever else Sha-Sin had planned. She was excited at the prospect of seeing how Fire Nation nobles lived compared to the Earth Nation nobles that had once roamed around Omashu. She sat next to Jazmai on the back of the cart, and perked up when she heard a man yelling for his children.

She looked over and smiled sadly. It must be nice to have parents. Mei-Ling looked over at Jazmai curiously and asked, "This must be really normal for you, seeing all of this wealth." Mei-Ling looked thoughtful. "Does the family you work for treat you well?" She hoped she wasn't prying to much, but Mei-Ling was curious.

Tag: @The Jedi in the Pumas @Darth_Elu @galactic-vagabond422

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2003
    Varayik Toraq IC:
    ~Lao Khan Garden Center, Middle Ring, Ba Sing Se~

Varayik listened intently to Zayne as she told him of her life and upbringing, how could he not? It was enrapturing when she said it. Any other noble would have had him eye rolling and potentially freezing their feet where they stood by now, but not her.

What struck him as she continued on, with him interjecting questions or small affirmations now and again, was that she was frustrated. Like she almost hated the noble’s life herself, despite being one. Oh, there was some joy in it too, which was unsurprising. But the fact that she didn’t wholly wrap herself in it was notable.

“Sounds like too much, they’re expecting too much of you, milady. Should be allowed to just be you, what’s so wrong with that? That's the part I don't understand, I’m sorry.”

The water-bender clad in Fire Nation armor stole a brief glance at the noble children being chased after by their father, or so he presumed to be. A Tamiko and Tatsuo evidently.

He did his best to straighten his posture further and allowed himself to act as casual as possible, with this beautiful woman (who was waaaaay out of his league) clutching his arm. By the Moon, he could almost die happy right there and then.

The fact that they had arrived early was completely fine with him. It meant more time experiencing a life style he never would have otherwise. It also…

“Means more time with you, love,” he replied when she stated the fact. It was made to appear like he was playing the part she requested, but in truth…he meant every word of it. He idly hoped that somehow was conveyed, like some kind of secret bending art. Was that a thing? No, probably not.

They moved around and mingled, so much mingling!, with all the other nobles. Even more than he had thought were in the city, let alone invited to this party. He was further amazed at how everyone was bowing to his date and shaking her hand. Who was she exactly?

Varayik ignored the looks. That was something he had anticipated. Not that it didn’t sting a little, but the mental preparation made it bearable.

“You’re so popular,” he joked lightly before dropping his tone so only she could hear, “Exactly how pow--“

She wasn’t listening to the last part for something had caught her eye, making her hasten her movements and practically yanking him along. He gave a quick wince before trying to hide it. Where were they going exactly? And man, she had a grip!

My arm is going to be bruised for a week after this.

“Oh ZuZu!”

Zuzu? Who the heck was Zuzu? His gaze found the man. His clothes clearly denoted importance. High importance, but his face was not one he recognized. That burn scar on his face would have been a giveaway had he known him.

He said nothing though because he didn’t want to embarrass Zayne.

“Hello Zayne.”

And just like that, they were intercepted by another girl. Jet black hair and an almost bored expression on her face, though her words had a hidden edge to them that Varayik picked up on immediately. Living as he did in the past made you attuned to that real fast.

Still, Zayne’s momentary enthusiasm and her twitch of frustration (there and gone, blink and you miss it) at the block was…disheartening. Who was this guy?

Zayne was his!!

Oh crap, what did I just—?

“Hello…Mai. So…nice…to…See…you.”

Clearly there was no love lost between these two ladies and that was one fight that he did not dare get in between of. His attention was also briefly pulled from their quarrel by the one he didn’t know was the Prince. That look on his face. That expression. That…depression. It spoke of loss. Pain. A well of sorrow.

Varayik had worn that face once.

His eyes flicked between Zayne and Mai, their little exchange continuing, so he decided to be the one to speak up. He didn’t dare leave Zayne’s side, but he was easily within speaking range at this point, so he called over from one man to another over this ‘Mai’s’ guard. She may be good at intercepting, but she couldn’t stop his voice.

“My Lord, are you well? Perhaps we can help if anything is wrong.”

He smiled, genuinely trying to be friendly. His eyes spoke of knowing, understanding. His jealousy of him briefly replaced by the connection of one who knew. Those who have lost could always tell one another from those who hadn’t.

Plus, he was having the time of his life otherwise! Might as well let it make him a little bolder than normal.

Of course, had he known who he had just spoken to…he would have blanched and dropped to his knees on the spot. A common soldier, a water-bender at that, did not just speak to the Prince. But you know what they say.

Ignorance was bliss.

Tag: Zayne, Prince Zuko, Mai, & possibly Sha-Sin, Jazmai, and Mei-Ling @The Jedi in the Pumas @TheSilentInfluence

3. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    IC:Master Nin
    Lord Huriko’s Dojo, Lower Ring

He made a mental note to recall the particular ‘Chi signature’ he’d felt outside of the dojo. He hadn’t seen who it belonged to, but he was sure to recognize it should he encounter it again.

Only after the Fire Nation soldiers fully retreated, did Master Nin lower the hood he had judiciously propped up to conceal his identity. That was something of an issue he would need to address at the appropriate moment.

Xian smiled softly as he listened to Lord Huriko speak. The large man had a peaceful way about him despite his size. His words were encouraging, heartening even. He was also right.

“I am a ‘Wandering Master’ now, Lord Huriko…” Xian would begin to say, offering a rather officious bow in return. “I would gladly lend aid to Ba Sing Se if you will have me.”

Within himself, Xian felt a pang at not having spoken the following words many, many moons ago. There was no way to know if things would have turned out any different.

“I pledge my Art and my Sword to your cause.”

Silence filled the dojo for the briefest moment, as if pausing to catch its collective breath before a moment intruded upon it.

Both Masters would sense it. Someone attempting to pick the Dojo’s back door.

“It appears we have more company.” Lord Huriko would say.

“Remind me to tell you about Lady Yisho…” Master Nin urged with a tinge of concern, then added as he looked to the back.

“Shouldn’t we investigate?”

Tag: @The Jedi in the Pumas

Darth_Elu and Shadowsun like this.
  4. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Lord Huriko's Dojo, Lower Ring

"We should, Wandering Master Nin."

Huriko tightened his grip on the large hammer; not in a threatening way, but in a reassuring way. So many months and years had passed since he last wielded the true power of the hammer. There was a conversation that he and Master Nin would have in the near future, relating to their exotic weapons, but for now...keep to the task ahead.

As Huriko made his way to the back, with Master Nin following closely, he peered into his office. Rumi, unconscious, was still lying on the floor of his office. The backdoor, a meter further back, continued to rattle. Suddenly it stopped, the would-be intruder worried that they had made too much noise. The silence lasted...

3... Seconds before the door handle clicked and swung open. A young man, the same size as Lord Huriko, barged in and began swinging his arms wildly at Master Nin, moving quickly past Huriko.

"Sifu-Huriko, stand back. I will protect you and Rumi!"

"Bohi, no you loaf!" Huriko shouted, too slow to stop the youth's onslaught.

Nin would immediately realize that Bohi was not only mistaken, he was also not very skilled in hand to hand combat. His arms flailed wildly and he missed Master Nin several times even though Nin had not moved yet.

Tag: @greyjedi125

----

Prince Zuko looked absentmindedly at Varayik. His expression hardened.

"No, I'm fine." He then looked at Mai and Zayne and, instantly, his expression softened. "Are we really doing this, Zayne, Mai? Azula will not tolerate anything ruining her perfect little party."

"And how is the wicked princess, Zuzu? Killing the Avatar, subjugating an entire kingdom...All impressive for the Princess of Darkness." Zayne said as she tightened her grasp of Varayik's arm. "All that power and no boyfriend? Pity."

"Is this your boyfriend now, Zayne? He seems a bit...common." The girl identified as Mai retorted as she rubbed Zuko's cheek, causing the Prince to blush. Clearly, in this particular group that Varayik found himself, having a significant other was something of a status symbol.

"HE...IS NOT COMMON." Zayne stoicism faded as she lost her cool for a moment. "I'll have you know that Varayik is a top soldier and father is going to promote him once he arrives to secure Ba Sing Se for the Fire Lord."

Zuko's eyes widened before turning into slits. He had forgotten who Zayne's father was. "Yes, General Feng Zhu. I've heard the stories of his campaign across the Earth Kingdom. You must be so proud."

What would seem like a compliment to Varayik was clearly not. Zuko was no stranger to the General's brutal tactics and he immediately felt regretful...more remorse for what lied ahead for the citizens of Ba Sing Se. Zayne was hurt by his words and turned her head away. Sad eyes made contact with Varayik's...Pleading for him to...help? How was he to help? He had no idea what was going on!

Tag: @Darth_Elu

----
    The carts at the entrance began to move along and Jazmai restrained herself from jumping out and chasing after Tamiko and Tatsuo. "That's my Lord, Lord Shu and his children. They treat me very well. I do hope he is not disappointed in me for being a bit late." Lord Shu gathered his children by their hands and when he looked up, made eye contact with Jazmai and Mei-Ling. He waved kindly, which allowed one of the children to escape and run over to the cart.

"Jazmai, Jazmai! Where have you been? It's so boring here!"

Jazmai blushed. Sha-Sin in the front of the cart was making contact with the security at the entrance, successfully gaining access to the venue. There would be distractions and she hoped that Mei-Ling would be able to blend in once they were inside. Jazmai responded to the child.

"Tatsuo, you must behave and not embarrass your father! I will be done with the delivery in a minute."

Tatsuo looked up at the cart and nodded, but showed no other signs that he was going to obey. He began to walk alongside the cart as Sha-Sin steered Popo into the garden. Lord Shu approached with another small child. Tatsuo looked at Mei-Ling.

"Hi Lady, are you Jazmai's best friend?"

Tag: @TheSilentInfluence

----

Streets of the Middle Ring

"Mow.....Mow....Mow..."

No one else heard it. At least they did not act like they did. It was high pitched, squeaky and echoed around her. A sound like this...she had never heard before. It was beckoning Jiao. How? Well the sound at first seem to surround her and now it was more focused down some back alleyways. Alleyways in the Lower Ring would normally be very dangerous, given the level of poverty and two bit criminals. The Middle Ring was cleaner, but Jiao was still just a young girl and would maybe deem it unsafe. This sound though...

"Mow...Mow...Mow..."

It seemed harmless. It seemed welcoming. And wanted to be helpful. It would lead her to...something she would never have expected.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422 (Combo!!)

5. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    IC:Master Nin
    Lord Huriko’s Dojo, Lower Ring

Young Rumi was unconscious and laying on the floor, the backdoor continued to rattle, adding to the tension in the room. Who would have the audacity to break into Lord Huriko’s Dojo?

Master Xian Nin remained alert, feeling out all around with his Chi, just in the event more Fire Nation Soldiers happened to show up unexpectedly. Then the door stopped rattling all of a sudden, almost as if the perpetrator realized too much noise was being made? Or perhaps it was something else?

Xian frowned, as he tried to anticipate what would happen next.

The sudden sound of movement caught his attention and his eyes darted to the side; the white haired Master spied a large figure flailing wildly while moving in his direction, a figure he did not recognize.

"Sifu-Huriko, stand back. I will protect you and Rumi!" the large figure bellowed.

"
    Bohi, no you loaf!" Lord Huriko shouted back.

Xian sighed and took a step back, even though it became clear the large youth had no skill in hand to hand combat, or was simply pretending that he didn't. Master Nin's hands returned to a more neutral position, as he no longer intended to ‘paralyze’ whoever ‘Bohi’ was. Clearly, he and the honorable Lord Huriko were acquainted, not to mention Rumi, who he claimed to be protecting.

Now that was strange. Rumi and Lord Huriko both possessed martial skills far above that of their supposed ‘protector’. Now why did ‘Bohi’ think they would need protecting from him? Where had he gotten such an idea?

Xian raised his hands then, to show that he was not inclined to hurt anyone. Clearly, this was a ‘distraction’, a diversion for Rumi’s rescuer to act.

“I am not your enemy…” Master Nin said calmly to Bohi, even as he took another step back, just so he could see the backdoor, Rumi’s unconscious body and Bohi, all at once.

Someone was going through a lot of trouble to snatch the boy, and he had a good idea who that someone might be.

6. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2003
    Varayik Toroq IC:
    ~Lao Khan Garden Center, Middle Ring, Ba Sing Se~

So the man with the burn scar decided to hide the truth. It was clear something was gnawing at him, but if he felt like he needed to do so, then perhaps it was for the best. The setting was likely too public, Varayik could understand that.

“Are we really doing this, Zayne, Mai? Azula will not tolerate anything ruining her perfect little party.”

Varayik again continued to notice the uncomfortable level of familiarity regarding the Princess of the Fire Nation being bandied about. Zayne had already explained her backstory with the Princess…but the others? Outwardly, he was managing to keep his calm somehow. But inwardly he was starting to sweat a little. Something was off here.

“And how is the wicked princess, Zuzu? Killing the Avatar, subjugating an entire kingdom…All impressive for the Princess of Darkness. All that power and no boyfriend? Pity.”

Varayik was starting to get the full meaning of why he had been brought along. While Zayne had admitted it from the get-go, now he was truly understanding. Significant others were a kind of status symbol for these nobles. It let them establish a sense of power or respect among each other.

How strange.

“Is this your boyfriend now, Zayne? He seems a bit…common.”

Zuko, not that he knew that was him, was blushing now as Mai stroke his cheek. Varayik was slightly blushing as well, but for a much different reason. He tried to affect a look of irritation at this, probably passing fairly well due to that noble attitude never being something he liked much.

But it was Zayne who showed actual anger.

“HE…IS NOT COMMON.”

It saved him from showing his face to these other two powerful people as he looked at the girl clinging to his arm, tightening a bit as her frustration showed. Why was she getting so angry on his behalf? Status symbol or not. Nobles. An odd breed.

“I’ll have you know that Varayik is a top soldier and father is going to promote him once he arrives to secure Ba Sing Se for the Fire Lord.”

Varayik blinked and let a small, thankful grin settle on his face. He even began saying the words ‘Thank y—“

“Yes, General Feng Zhu. I’ve heard the stories of his campaign across the Earth Kingdom. You must be so proud.”

What did he just say? And there was Zayne, turning her head away, those sad eyes turning upward to look at him. Pleading.

Wait, wait, wait!

She was the General’s daughter? The one he had only just learned about coming!? And now…he…she wanted….’ZuZu’ had said…

Varayik’s head spun.

His mind was blank. His body went on autopilot. There was no context for him to give him warning, he just…acted.

His arm managed to move free from Zayne’s grip just enough so it could re-situate itself around her waist, pulling her closer to him protectively, his head looking up and over toward the two nobles. His own expression now being the one hardening.

Varayik literally had no thought behind his words. They just…came.

“Say what you will about me,” his tone icy like the element he could bend so well, “I can take such words. But I will not brook any offense thrown toward Lady Zayne and her family. I don’t care who you are.”

He held their gaze, whether it surprised them or not, “Please apologize. Now.”

In his head, he could only meekly ask himself.

…What are you doing, Varayik?

Tag: Prince Zuko, Zayne, & Mai @The Jedi in the Pumas

OOC: I’m so doomed.

7. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Outspoken and Enraged Mod of SWTV and SWC star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jul 15, 2014
    IC: Mei-Ling Shu

Mei-Ling watched the interaction between Jazmai and the little kid, Tatsuo and smiled. He obviously thought a lot of Jazmai, and Mei Ling didn't doubt that she loved these children to pieces. Mei-Ling gently bumped her shoulder into Jazmai at Tatsuo's question, and looked back down at him. "We're really just starting to become friends young master." Mei-Ling explained, though she did hope that Jazmai and her would become best friends, it was probably too soon to jump to that conclusion yet. She is nice though. Treats me a lot better then the kids at the orphanage.

Turning her attention to Tatsuo, Mei-Ling smiled again. "But Jazmai is right, you should really listen to your father. You don't want to get lost do you?"

Mei-Ling caught the nobles eye as he smiled at them, as Jazmai was telling her about him and smiled back, but felt something twist in her stomach. He seems nice. Maybe I should try to work for a noble family like that, once I get to the Fire Nation. She turned and watched the interaction between Jazmai and the little kid, Tatsuo and smiled. He obviously thought a lot of Jazmai, and Mei Ling didn't doubt that she loved these children to pieces. Mei-Ling gently bumped her shoulder into Jazmai at Tatsuo's question, and looked back down at him. "We're really just starting to become friends young master." Mei-Ling explained, though she did hope that Jazmai and her would become best friends, it was probably too soon to jump to that conclusion yet. She is nice though. Treats me a lot better then the kids at the orphanage.

Turning her attention to Tatsuo, Mei-Ling smiled again. "But Jazmai is right, you should really listen to your father. You don't want to get lost do you?"

Tatsuo smiled a big broken and missing tooth smile.

"I'm not lost. I'm in Ba Sing Se!"

Jazmai blushed hard and nodded at Mei-Ling. "Tatsuo, just stay close to me, please." Sha-Sin steered the cart to a stop behind the medium sized house that served as the kitchen for the gathering. Her cart and other carts began to be unloaded by the servants there. Jazmai and Mei-Ling stepped down from the cart. Jazmai took Tatsuo's hand and they watched as Sha-Sin fed Popo something and gave him a command to stand by and behave. It was time for her to enact the second part of her plan: change into the servant clothes that she had hid in one of the barrels and move around the party to gather information. There was also an outfit there for Mei-Ling, but the presence of Jazmai and Tatsuo and the approaching Lord Shu may give her an alternative.

Lord Shu came to a stop before Mei-Ling and Jazmai and softly, playfully bopped Tatsuo on the head with his fist. He was taller than both women and moved like a gentle man. "You arrived just in time, Jazmai. Who is your friend?"

"Lord Shu, I apologize, I thought I was late. This....This is Mei-Ling, she is helping me deliver your order. Without her and..." She looked around for Sha-Sin, but the woman was nowhere to be seen. "Um...Without her I would not have made it in time."

The gentle lord bowed before Mei-Ling, which was uncharacteristic of someone of his social standing.

Mei-Ling laughed at Tatsuo's remark."Ba Sing Se is easy enough to get around I guess. This is my first time here." She explained before looking back for Sha-Sin, but she wasn't around anymore. It's probably better if I stay with the cart? I don't want to get lost in the crowd.

Looking up as the man, Lord Shu approached. He seemed kind, Mei-Ling thought. She waited until Jazmai had finished speaking and blushed a little at her praise. And when Lord Shu dropped into a bow, Mei-Ling tried to copy him the Fire Nation way, though she felt a little awkward doing it. But I don't want to get in trouble for not doing it either.

"I suppose I owe you a great bit of thanks for bringing Jazmai back to us safely. Would you like to join us at the picnic?" Lord Shu asked as he picked Tatsuo up and placed the rowdy toddler under his arm.

Jazmai nodded at Mei-Ling. She felt comfortable around Mei-Ling and did not think that there was much else for the young woman to do while Sha-Sin was off doing...whatever it was that had made her disappear.

"Thank you. But I hope I'm not intruding Sir." Mei-Ling answered, shy. She looked towards Jazmai, and tried not to look too eager at the prospect of going to a picnic. She had never been to one before.